• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Just got the email and Wario64 has retweeted it from someone else.

EKeLrnuW4AEVWyP

They say that their reason is to prevent order cancellations due to lack of funds or wrong credit cards.

Real nice of Square to charge it almost 4 months in advance instead of 2 to 3 weeks like before.

EDIT: Square Enix has been sending notifications today signaling that they payment date has been changed from this week to January 22, 2020!

UPDATE: Due to the delay, Square is now charging for preorders on February 28th! And have sent emails to people who preordered the First Class Edition telling them that in order to keep their preorder, they have to confirm it in the email link. Failing to do so will cancel the preorder!
Hey just wanted to give a heads up that I got this email sent to my spam.
Mentions that you need to opt-in to keep your preorder, and that payment processing will now be on Feb 28th.

a10a9747e4518e244ef3b2184addfd10.png

Last edited:

Tsar Pharaoh

Nov 29, 2017
I wish they gave this heads up a few weeks in advance态and I wish they told us when exactly we can expect them to charge. That's the only part I'm truly pissed off about. This was a last minute notice that wasnt fair .

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
yeah this fucking sucks. id rather have to pay close to the date than eat a chunk of my Christmas money right now.

guess I'll just cancel then.

Oct 25, 2017
The void
I haven't preordered from the square enix store before. Is it true you will get your game a few days early? What shipping speed do you have to choose for this? I used standard shipping.

OP
OP
AlexFlame116

AlexFlame116

Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I wish they gave this heads up a few weeks in advance态and I wish they told us when exactly we can expect them to charge. That's the only part I'm truly pissed off about. This was a last minute notice that wasnt fair .
Yeah this is honestly what makes me mad. If they had told me way earlier I wouldn't have been so upset. Instead they tell us a few days in advance.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I never preorder this far out so I just always assumed when you preorder something you got the charge then and there. Now that I know that's not the case I still have no problem with what they're doing. Don't make the order if you don't have the funds. If money is such an issue for you, perhaps you can find more practical uses for $330.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
Probably cancelling this as a result. With the holidays coming up and other end of year things, I don't need a charge that big coming in on something so extra. The game comes out practically on my birthday, so the excessiveness of the purchase seemed like a fun gift to myself. But I don't care that much and I'd rather use that money to get other people stuff for the holidays.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
This is pretty bullshit, to be honest. I'm sure lots of people pre-ordered, basing their future game budget around it and how Square has charged in the past.

Oleander

Oct 25, 2017
Considering the number of people that lost their FFXIV: Shadowbringers Collector's Edition pre-orders because of their previous system of only attempting to charge once and cancelling the order if it failed, this is at least an attempt to address that issue. Far from ideal, though.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You'd think FFXIV would bring enough money in to avoid charging people this early for a game coming out the next year, wtf.

MrDaravon

Oct 25, 2017
Considering the number of people that lost their FFXIV: Shadowbringers Collector's Edition pre-orders because of their previous system of only attempting to charge once and cancelling the order if it failed, this is at least an attempt to address that issue. Far from ideal, though.

This. Also I thought the SE store charged when you placed the order for pre-orders? The only two things I've ever pre-ordered there I was charged for on placing the order, but neither one of them were games.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like I'm cancelling. Why would they charge this so far in advance, especially during the holiday season?

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I never preorder this far out so I just always assumed when you preorder something you got the charge then and there. Now that I know that's not the case I still have no problem with what they're doing. Don't make the order if you don't have the funds. If money is such an issue for you, perhaps you can find more practical uses for $330.

They weren't going to change until closer to release. Springing this up not even a week before changing their charge date during the holidays is unreasonable. Who is going to have $330 laying around when they probably just spent that money on Black Friday deals?

For example, I fully anticipated having the full amount for this bundle by time February/March and already budgeted my money for this year to go to gifts. I have the funds but I AM using them for other things. Your view on this is super flawed.

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I removed my debit card from my account so that they can't charge me yet. It says in the email that they will attempt multiple times before release. I'll just add it back first thing in February. If they cancel it anyway, I have a Deluxe Edition as backup on Amazon.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Welp cancelled my pre-order. Didn't get the email in the UK but I don't wanna chance it. I already own a Cloud Play Arts anyway, it's basically just the l'il summons and artbook I'll really miss.

I'm already giving them enough money for the upcoming Vivi and Steiner figures....

Coolsambob

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 27, 2017
Is it just US getting these emails? None of my friends believe this is real in the UK despite me saying it is.

Would suck as I would know at least 3 people who would have to cancel.

Oct 26, 2017

And of course you are going to defend Square Enix in this.

Some of you are really predictable.

They weren't going to change until closer to release. Springing this up not even a week before changing their charge date during the holidays is unreasonable. Who is going to have $330 laying around when they probably just spent that money on Black Friday deals?

For example, I fully anticipated having the full amount for this bundle by time February/March and already budgeted my money for this year to go to gifts. I have the funds but I AM using them for other things. Your view on this is super flawed.

Exactly this, but nope, let's defend our glorious Square Enix because charging 4 MONTHS prior the launch is perfectly fine.

Last edited:

Destruction

Self-requested ban
Banned
Nov 27, 2019
So now they are doing timed exclusivity on people's funds?

Seriously, I'm not a fan of this and feel like this shouldn't be endorsed by other companies.

Arih

Jan 19, 2018

Yup... Some people never learn.

Ryuman

Nov 1, 2017
Welp cancelled my pre-order. Didn't get the email in the UK but I don't wanna chance it. I already own a Cloud Play Arts anyway, it's basically just the l'il summons and artbook I'll really miss.

I'm already giving them enough money for the upcoming Vivi and Steiner figures....
Artbook comes with Deluxe anyway. 1st Class is just the PAKs and Carbuncle summon, everything else is Deluxe. If they do this like FFXV's bonuses, then the extra summons might be put up as paid DLC later anyway.

Last edited:

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a US thing so far. I haven't received an email yet.

Oleander above has it right, I believe.

But that's worse, paying early or having your long held Preorder cancelled because you were a little short?

I should be okay if they decide to charge, I have my PS5 saving to cover it until my bonus in 2 weeks.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus christ, thank you for posting this. The email went straight to my spam so I might have missed it entirely, and this could have completely boned me over if I wasn't prepared.
Less than a week's heads up, four months ahead of planned... jfc square, what a gd dick move.

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's pretty shitty of them. No one needs that charge at this time of year and it doesn't release for months still!

OP
OP
AlexFlame116

AlexFlame116

Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Jesus christ, thank you for posting this. The email went straight to my spam so I might have missed it entirely, and this could have completely boned me over if I wasn't prepared.
Less than a week's heads up, four months ahead of planned... jfc square, what a gd dick move.
Yep mine was at my Spam Folder as well. The only reason I even heard about this is because Wario64 retweeted it.

It's an important email and I'm baffled that my email account decided to put it in Spam.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Artbook comes with Deluxe anyway. 1st Class is just the PAKs and Chocobo Chick summon, everything else is Deluxe. If they do this like FFXV's bonuses, then the extra summons might be put up as paid DLC later anyway.

Ah good to know! I'll order deluxe then

OP
OP
AlexFlame116

AlexFlame116

Nov 17, 2017
Utah
This could possibly be a US only thing. I might request a title change then.

Nov 23, 2017
It's true that this is by no means a necessity or world ending but you just come off like suchhhh an asshole. Do you have such a life of luxury where you don't have to plan your finances or get gifts for anyone around this time of year? Just because it's an expensive edition doesn't mean people should be canceled because they're broke now, the thing didn't even ship for months.

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017

You're going to get crucified for this. Don't be such a dick, maybe learn some empathy.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
It's true that this is by no means a necessity or world ending but you just come off like suchhhh an asshole. Do you have such a life of luxury where you don't have to plan your finances or get gifts for anyone around this time of year? Just because it's an expensive edition doesn't mean people should be canceled because they're broke now, the thing didn't even ship for months.

No, I don't have a life of luxury, which is why I'm not ordering the $330 edition, even if it is a remake of my favorite game of all time. I followed my own advice. And who said anything about canceling 'people' besides you? I don't even know what that means in that context. The only thing that should be 'canceled' is this preorder.

There is no downside to canceling now and ordering at a better time. If you read the statement they give the option to charge the preorder immediately upon making it, that way you buy it when you know you have the funds and are not caught by surprise.

The statement doesn't say "Cancel now and you're screwed." It's perfectly reasonable. It gives people a heads up that I don't even know if they're obligated to do, and allows them to either come up with the funds if they can, granted on short notice, so that's why you can cancel and preorder a different time if you can't. Certainly worthy of a thread to get the word out, but I fail to see anything sinister.

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
The original Play Arts Hardy Daytona bike can still be found for purchase if people really need a bike figure, looks great too.

Algorum

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Dec 23, 2018
Well guess I'm glad I didn't preorder. This is pretty sucky and it's probably to keep funding its development for pt. 2 since they know millions love FF7.

Hmm šŸ¤”

Ascenion

Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Wholeheartedly agree. If you don't have the money free right then, don't buy it. People need to learn the difference between affording something and simply having the money.

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
I'll be cancelling mine I guess. I don't have hundreds of dollars to spare right before Christmas. I've got family, and the money goes to them. I have a (possible) 13% annual bonus in March so I didn't blink at that timing. Maybe I can put it on a card that will decline and stall...not sure it is worth the effort though.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Cancelled my a few weeks ago and decided to just get deluxe instead. The art book is the thing I really want.