• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
I'm about to cancel my preorder anyway, Got an order in as soon as I could but they won't sell out anyway apparently. Why should they? It's just soft bundled separate items you get bundled unceremoniously. For the kind of premium price Square is asking they really need to offer a true collector's edition with special packaging, This is just lazy.

rainking187

Oct 25, 2017
No, I don't have a life of luxury, which is why I'm not ordering the $330 edition, even if it is a remake of my favorite game of all time. I followed my own advice. And who said anything about canceling 'people' besides you? I don't even know what that means in that context. The only thing that should be 'canceled' is this preorder.

There is no downside to canceling now and ordering at a better time. If you read the statement they give the option to charge the preorder immediately upon making it, that way you buy it when you know you have the funds and are not caught by surprise.

The statement doesn't say "Cancel now and you're screwed." It's perfectly reasonable. It gives people a heads up that I don't even know if they're obligated to do, and allows them to either come up with the funds if they can, granted on short notice, so that's why you can cancel and preorder a different time if you can't. Certainly worthy of a thread to get the word out, but I fail to see anything sinister.

I'm not sure where you see anything in the statement about canceling and ordering later, the first class edition is exclusive to the SE store and is sold out. If you do cancel you probably are screwed.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm about to cancel my preorder anyway, Got an order in as soon as I could but they won't sell out anyway apparently. Why should they? It's just soft bundled separate items you get bundled unceremoniously. For the kind of premium price Square is asking they really need to offer a true collector's edition with special packaging, This is just lazy.

This is why they are doing this though. Why did you pre-order if you weren't sure you were going to keep the order?

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
The waitlist is also full in the US, so I'm guessing that they want to do this ahead of time to weed out some people and allow people on the list a chance. I hate that they're doing this though.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
This is why they are doing this though. Why did you pre-order if you weren't sure you were going to keep the order?

The game is special to me and I kind of wanted the "best" edition. If it was sold out the incentive to keep the order would clearly be higher, too.
Soft bundling is annoying though. I was watching unboxings of the similar Kingdom Hearts edition when that released and quite a few people were pretty disappointed with how what they got was presented. Square is doing this for the upcoming Life is Strange CE in Europe, too. Definitely a trend I don't like.

EekumBokum

Oct 25, 2017
Surely if just a couple hundred dollars is such an issue then you shouldn't be buying these expensive editions in the first place?

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Surely if just a couple hundred dollars is such an issue then you shouldn't be buying these expensive editions in the first place?

Do y'all even pay attention to what you are saying when you are saying it? It's the holidays. People aren't spending money on themselves, they are spending it on other people. They are buying stuff that is on sale. Even if they HAVE the money, they weren't intending to purchase the CE right now. They anticipated and budgeted for it in the future which is completely valid and reasonable thing people can do.

Just because somebody doesn't have the funds right now doesn't mean they can't afford it. Y'all really out here trying to bat for a 4-month early charge on a pre-order that only was given a week warning when everybody was first told they wouldn't be charged until late February.

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
"We're worried you might not have enough money, so we're going to charge when you least expect it"

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Charging your customers four months early like this is scummy as hell. Full stop.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
They're probably doing this to verify how many Play Arts they need to manufacture since the game seems to be close to done (and is already being rated for release).

Still completely scummy to do this in the busy holiday season.

Dolobill

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see the problem. Good on Square for notifying people before the charge. They even gave people time to scrape up the funds instead of charging immediately upon placing the order.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see the problem. Good on Square for notifying people before the charge. They even gave people time to scrape up the funds instead of charging immediately upon placing the order.

Yes, a week before charging during the most spending-heavy time of the year. Great on SE. Really appreciate the warning that got sent to spam lol

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would definitely have had the money mid-February, but since they want to pull this nonsense when Black Friday is going on and Christmas is coming up, I have to cancel. I'll make do with finding the deluxe edition on launch day. But it's really scummy to do this at this time of year, and only sending out emails a week before they plan to start charging.

And people are still fellating SE for this smdh.

Last edited:

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
There's a way around this.

Please expect the first debit attempt to happen during the first week of December. If this attempt is unsuccessful, there will be additional debit attempts throughout the next few months. Upon successful payment, your order will be secured and is expected to be shipped near the release date of March 3rd, 2020.

Put in a card that doesn't have the funds. Your order doesn't get processed next week and they don't cancel it, as it states in the e-mail because they'll keep trying to charge it throughout the next few months. They will let you know ahead of time yet again so you can prepare and can continue to delay it until you're ready to pay at the time you're more comfortable.

Now I don't personally understand this part of the e-mail because it doesn't make any sense.

Pre-orders are typically debited 2 to 3 weeks before the shipment date. However, some customers have experienced payment rejections in the past due to insufficient funds or expired credit cards before payment processing leading to pre-order cancellations.

Why not leave this option for people who are having issues and let everyone else pay 2-3 weeks? They could have handled this much better in multiple different ways. First being giving a one-two month advance instead of a week...Or better yet, have an option to decide if you would like to pay it now because you might have payment issues, completely fine. But also have the option to pay later if you have no issues.

You can have the funds or not have the funds. Let's stop assuming people's funds and being ignorant about things we don't know. Giving a week's notice to charge a $400 dollar product is just not good management, no matter what. There's no defending this. I have the funds for this but that doesn't mean this is a "Good job Square Enix" This is a pretty scummy and anti-consumer way to handle this, sorry.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

What I'd recommend, genuinely: If enough people contact them telling them how stupid this is they'll probably change what they're doing here because they still want your money. If a lot of people are not happy with how this is rolling out, I guarantee you they'll change it. So instead of cancelling your orders or doing the card thing, just contact them like they said and rightfully complain directly to them.

Last edited:

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
I haven't preordered from the square enix store before. Is it true you will get your game a few days early? What shipping speed do you have to choose for this? I used standard shipping.

I've only order from them directly once for Final Fantasy XV because everyone kept saying that they usually ship super early and I wanted that beautiful Amano steel case.
Biggest mistake of my life! Got the game two days after release.

Second biggest mistake was buying the digital version on release day because I couldn't fucking wait another two days to play it... I basically double dipped on the same console...

awake4ages

Neo•Geo Saver
Oct 27, 2017
Lmao yeah because charging during the holiday season totally means people will have enough money

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Money isn't a 'problem' for me per se, I wouldn't be left broke if this came out now before Christmas. But I like knowing when money is going to leave my account for non-essentials so I can always be as prepared as possible for essentials like emergencies/layoffs/disasters etc.

Cloud's sexy bike doesn't fit into any of those categories. Anyway I cancelled yesterday and it was very easy, however I didn't actually get one of these emails in the OP (Ireland here)

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
They're probably doing this to verify how many Play Arts they need to manufacture since the game seems to be close to done (and is already being rated for release).

Still completely scummy to do this in the busy holiday season.
The 1st Class Edition is sold out, so the above isn't the reason. They know exactly how many figures they need.

This is just some really messed up stuff. Can't believe they'd charge for such an expensive product right before the holidays when it's so far out from release.

Oct 25, 2017
The void
So after getting charged 366 for it, I am kind of rethinking it. The only difference between this one and the deluxe one is the statue and the carbuncle dlc. But is that really worth the extra 300..? I still have gamers club unlocked and can get the deluxe edition for 63.99. Even if I want the carbuncle dlc, which I do, there will probably be people selling it on Ebay for 20-50 dollars or less.

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
The only real difference is the Play Arts Kai Figure and bike. The Cloud figure alone can be bought separately right now for $150. I don't think that bike will be available (for now) unless you buy the 1st class edition.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
So after getting charged 366 for it, I am kind of rethinking it. The only difference between this one and the deluxe one is the statue and the carbuncle dlc. But is that really worth the extra 300..? I still have gamers club unlocked and can get the deluxe edition for 63.99. Even if I want the carbuncle dlc, which I do, there will probably be people selling it on Ebay for 20-50 dollars or less.
If you don't mind getting your game digitally, the Digital Deluxe Edition on the PlayStation Store includes the carbuncle DLC.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Thinking of cancelling my order of the deluxe edition. Not sure if it's worth the wait and I want to play it when it launches. The physical stuff is not that important anyway.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
FYI For those unaware. This is not a CE. It's a "soft bundle" It's what they did with KH3. Basically, you get standard Deluxe Edition that everyone else can buy normally. But then you get a separate box for the Play Arts. It's completely its own thing. There's no CE or CE box branding with both things. They bundle the deluxe edition and play arts together and they come in the box separate.

Says it on the store page too

Please note, this is a soft bundle.
The FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE Deluxe Edition contents are bundled separately from the Play Arts Kai Cloud Strife & Hardy Daytona.

I'm not sure why they do this anymore but they started it with KH3. It removes the value of the CE too as it's not a CE, it's just two items bundled together. Cause you can just buy the figure separately online if you really want it. Just to save anyone north of 400 dollars.

Last edited:

jenya

Oct 27, 2017
Am I supposed to feel sorry for people who keep preordering unlimited goods?

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
Guys! Check your email. Just got this.
xS5auyU_d.jpg

Last edited:

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
y48IKE4.jpg

Guys! Check your email. Just got this.

Not sure if same, but I asked about the payment being taken this week and got a reply today:

Hello –
Thank you for reserving your copy of FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE - 1st Class Edition [PS4]. Despite communication you may have received about taking payment on December 4th and following further review, we are extending the payment due date for your pre-order.

To that end, payment processing will begin on Wednesday, January 22, 2020. We will send out a reminder email on Monday, January 20, 2020 asking you to make sure your payment method is up to date on your account. Once your payment has been processed, you will receive a confirmation email letting you know that your copy of FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE - 1st Class Edition [PS4] has been secured.

If you would like to expedite the payment process, you can pay for your pre-order now by logging in to your Square Enix Store account, searching "MY ORDERS" and then clicking on the "DEBIT NOW" button.

Thank you once again.
Square Enix Store Team​

This is for UK btw

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
Not sure if same, but I asked about the payment being taken this week and got a reply today:

Hello –
Thank you for reserving your copy of FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE - 1st Class Edition [PS4]. Despite communication you may have received about taking payment on December 4th and following further review, we are extending the payment due date for your pre-order.

To that end, payment processing will begin on Wednesday, January 22, 2020. We will send out a reminder email on Monday, January 20, 2020 asking you to make sure your payment method is up to date on your account. Once your payment has been processed, you will receive a confirmation email letting you know that your copy of FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE - 1st Class Edition [PS4] has been secured.

If you would like to expedite the payment process, you can pay for your pre-order now by logging in to your Square Enix Store account, searching "MY ORDERS" and then clicking on the "DEBIT NOW" button.

Thank you once again.
Square Enix Store Team

This is for UK btw

Same e-mail for me. But I never asked anything so hopefully this is for everyone.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
I got that updated email. Much better than the original. Getting if from the EU store.

Probably pay it now and get it out of the way.

Last edited:

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Glad to see that the backlash had an impact. It was completely unacceptable that they gave people the warning of only a week for this.

Oct 25, 2017
Apologies for resurfacing a dormant thread, but I didn't think my question necessitated it's own:
Has anyone on the east coast of the U.S. preordered something from the Square Enix store, and set it for Ground delivery?
I think the SE Store says they try to ship your order with your shipment method in mind so you'll get the game on release day, but now that we're getting close to it, I'm wondering if I should send a message and ask to upgrade my shipping to 2-Day delivery.
I just don't want to get the First Class Edition three days late.
Was hoping there was someone here who lived on the east coast, and has preordered through the store with Ground shipping, and received their game on release day.
Any thoughts or experiences would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you for your time.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Apologies for resurfacing a dormant thread, but I didn't think my question necessitated it's own:
Has anyone on the east coast of the U.S. preordered something from the Square Enix store, and set it for Ground delivery?
I think the SE Store says they try to ship your order with your shipment method in mind so you'll get the game on release day, but now that we're getting close to it, I'm wondering if I should send a message and ask to upgrade my shipping to 2-Day delivery.
I just don't want to get the First Class Edition three days late.
Was hoping there was someone here who lived on the east coast, and has preordered through the store with Ground shipping, and received their game on release day.
Any thoughts or experiences would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you for your time.
I've only ordered one thing through them before, and that was the special edition of FF Type-0 (the one with the manga, cards, etc.). I ordered it using ground shipping and ended up getting it a day or two before the release date.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah does anyone know if the Deluxe edition/steelbook also comes with the regular cover? It did for KH3 but the marketing images doesn't make it seem that way.

Haven't found any info on that yet, I sure do hope so. I am willing to buy the summon dlc separate if I can get the regular cover...

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
While I was planning my gaming budget till E3, I decided this just wasn't worth it. I've been torn to negative on this package for months but now I've finally clicked the cancel button. I wouldn't display the figure anyway and I'm not a fan of the Play Arts series Square loves so much to begin with. If it was a proper statue, I might still be on board.
Let's not kid ourselves, this probably won't be the first opportunity to spend lots of money on this game anyway. No doubt they'll sell it again on PS5, maybe with a better package. I also think there will eventually be a complete edition of the game, that might get a more worthy edition, too - even though that's years down the road.
So, until Square puts in a little bit more effort, I'll just be getting the deluxe editions.

Megawarrior

Oct 25, 2017
While I was planning my gaming budget till E3, I decided this just wasn't worth it. I've been torn to negative on this package for months but now I've finally clicked the cancel button. I wouldn't display the figure anyway and I'm not a fan of the Play Arts series Square loves so much to begin with. If it was a proper statue, I might still be on board.
Let's not kid ourselves, this probably won't be the first opportunity to spend lots of money on this game anyway. No doubt they'll sell it again on PS5, maybe with a better package. I also think there will eventually be a complete edition of the game, that might get a more worthy edition, too - even though that's years down the road.
So, until Square puts in a little bit more effort, I'll just be getting the deluxe editions.
Btw the Cloud Play Arts figurines tend to be of a way higher quality than the other characters they shit out for some reason.