• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jun 2, 2019
So i'm writing this because we're nine days away from getting the Xenoblade Chronicles remake, a game that will have quite a bunch of first times, the first being a Monolith Soft game that has Surround Sound.

Surround Sound. If that's a magical experience in Breath of the Wild, now imagine it on Xenoblade Chronicles

monado_beginning_of_the_world-5126377.jpg

No, i'm not drooling, YOU are drooling. Oh, wait i'm drooling too...

Now, Switch has the issue of outputting linear PCM and not having TOSlink output at all, so getting Surround Sound out of it it's not a cheap or easy feat, however when the 4.0.0 firmware update was released, another way of outputting surround sound was implemented, that wasn't marketed and thus, it isn't well known, and it's that the console will output Surround sound through USB, if the device plugged on the port is, or includes, a DAC with surround sound capabilities.

Bear in mind though, if the USB compatibility is aready spotty, the DAC/Surround sound compatibility is even worse. Some sure bets are the Sony Playstation headsets, the GTX Dion 7.1, the HyperX Cloud Flight S and, as a DAC/amp, the Sound BlasterX G6, wich is directly marketed as Nintendo Switch compatible.

Over the internet people are claiming that Senheiser's Gaming DAC line (The GSX1XXX) also works with a workaround, by setting the Switch's sound to Surround before plugging it in.

works-with-everything.jpg

If you have a DAC enabled Surround Sound headset you may want to plug it in and test if it works

Oh, and don't forget that anything that works plugged on the USB while docked will work the same plugged while undocked using a USB-C converter, so Switch lite users aren't out of this PSA

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
I have it pre ordered but won't play it until I finish trials of mana

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Probably a good thread to ask this in?
Is their a way to convert to LPCM signal coming from the switch to Dolby 5.1? I have a Sonos 5.1 system and it's my only device that doesn't work with it.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
So if I connect the Sony Gold headset with the USB dongle I'll get surround?
Do you know if the headset has to be in VSS mode, or the normal mode will also get surround?

OP
OP
Reinhardt Schneider
Jun 2, 2019
So if I connect the Sony Gold headset with the USB dongle I'll get surround?
Do you know if the headset has to be in VSS mode, or the normal mode will also get surround?

Yes, i do that in fact, got my Sony Golds this monday and have been using them on my Switch ever since

VSS needs to be enabled, but honestly since the compatibility with the console is a happy accident and the button controls are glitched, you will probably get a volume change when using the VSS button.

VSS is enabled by default anyways. If you have it disabled, plug the Golds on your PS4 and enable it back.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Yes, i do that in fact, got my Sony Golds this monday and have been using them on my Switch ever since

VSS needs to be enabled, but honestly since the compatibility with the console is a happy accident and the button controls are glitched, you will probably get a volume change when using the VSS button.

VSS is enabled by default anyways. If you have it disabled, plug the Golds on your PS4 and enable it back.
Thanks a lot, I'll try setting the Switch to surround when using the headset, then.
This list of surround games on Era will come in handy:
www.resetera.com

Surround sound supported switch games list

Hey guys, I noticed that there wasn't really a list or thread about what games support surround sound on switch and what games don't. You could say "look at the eshop page", but i noticed that sometimes the LPCM surround sound tag is missing with games that support surround sound and vise versa...
Although it isn't updated in a while.

OP
OP
Reinhardt Schneider
Jun 2, 2019
That won't work, it'll only extract an existing compressed 5.1 signal from the HDMI. You'd need something that actively encodes a Dolby Digital 5.1 signal from an LPCM input, and I'm not sure such a product exists.

My bad. Im not too versed when it comes to that partĂ­cular matter :/

Thanks a lot, I'll try setting the Switch to surround when using the headset, then.
This list of surround games on Era will come in handy:
www.resetera.com

Surround sound supported switch games list

Hey guys, I noticed that there wasn't really a list or thread about what games support surround sound on switch and what games don't. You could say "look at the eshop page", but i noticed that sometimes the LPCM surround sound tag is missing with games that support surround sound and vise versa...
Although it isn't updated in a while.

If you have a Gold Headset, there's no need to do that. I have my Switch set up in Stereo and i get surround sound anyways

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I don't know. It sounds like you may just be getting 2 channels from the Switch simulated as surround by whatever device you have it connected to. Can you prove that it's sending 5.1 through usb?

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
Are you folks sure the headphones aren't just remixing the 2.0 LPCM output to 5.1?

I mean, if a 5.1 signal was being sent out, it could be sent out via PCM or Dolby Digital or DTS etc. Why not check and see what a dedicated receiver does with that LPCM signal.

I know my PC is set to output PCM over HDMI, but it's specifically set to 7.1 -- HDMI has the bandwidth

Oct 29, 2017
Cool. Didn't know that you could get surround sound out of the USB port!

But really, if you have an even remotely modern AV Reciever (like, anything within the past 15 years) it'll have HDMI-in anyway.

Bit surprised this one supports surround sound when Xenoblade 2 didn't.

The original Wii game had DPL2 5.1. It'd be scandalous if the Switch Remaster didn't have 5.1!

OP
OP
Reinhardt Schneider
Jun 2, 2019
Are you folks sure the headphones aren't just remixing the 2.0 LPCM output to 5.1?

I mean, if a 5.1 signal was being sent out, it could be sent out via PCM or Dolby Digital or DTS etc. Why not check and see what a dedicated receiver does with that LPCM signal.

I know my PC is set to output PCM over HDMI, but it's specifically set to 7.1 -- HDMI has the bandwidth

Well, after so much time playing games through HRTF surround sound im pretty sure it is actual surround sound.

I don't have the capability to check it out, but i can tell that real stereo games aren't upmixed for example. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 doesn't get any surround treatment, nor do any other stereo game.

I can only adventure that the sound is compressed enough to go through USB.

Btw the Switch is max 5.1 afaik

Last edited:

Goodbye

Oct 27, 2017
So, I really only need a Sony Playstation Wireless Gold 7.1 Gaming Headset to get surround sound on my Switch? Why didn't anyone tell be before? I see DQXI S also supports this. I will buy a Gold headset next week I guess.

OP
OP
Reinhardt Schneider
Jun 2, 2019
So, I really only need a Sony Playstation Wireless Gold 7.1 Gaming Headset to get surround sound on my Switch? Why didn't anyone tell be before? I see DQXI S also supports this. I will buy a Gold headset next week I guess.

Yeah, Nintendo enabled it and called it a day. I've been testing since i got my Trust headset, and comparing it to other forms of virtual surround i have home (Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, the PS4 itself with the Golds) i can tell it's not just a simple upmix.

I guess this hasn't been talked about precisely because Nintendo hasn't given it even the slightest mention, but as time passes it's becoming more widely known. Headset brands' approach isn't helping, either:

• Corsair completely ditches the Switch when it comes to USB compatibility, saying that the Switch doesn't support USB audio
  • SteelSeries is starting to market Switch compatible headsets, to the point of even releasing the SteelSeries Arctics 1 Wireless, wich includes a USB-C dongle for using with the console, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut it doesn't have an integrated Surround sound DAC
  • Logitech has Switch compatible headsets, and they have started marketing them as such recently, but just like SteelSeries, they don't have an integrated Surround DAC, all their headsets - Or the ones i know at least - only get surround sound processing via PC software.
  • Creative headsets ARE compatible, but even their X-Fi headsets, having the Air-C model a USB C plug marketed to use with the Nintendo Switch, limits their compatibility to Stereo. The X-Fi tech, btw, is the same in concept that Sony will be usinf for their HRTF tech on PS5. Good stuff.
  • HyperX is slowly getting into it. They have started releasing firmware updates to add compatibility with the Switch. Both the Cloud Flight and Cloud Flight S are fully compatible. But we're still to see if they'll go further
And then there's the fun fact that some PS4 compatible headsets work by default with the Switch. The Gold and Platinum headset are both the poster children of this, but there are other ones like the Turtle Beach Stealth line from the 450 model onwards and the Razer Thresher line among others.

Honestly it's starting to feel like Nintendo should step up and release their own, DAC powered surround headset, just like Sony did. Team up with HyperX, Astro, SteelSeries or Sony themselves and get it out, and clarify the situation while they're at it.

For a company that go such lenghts on their games' audio (Have you played Animal Crossing with headphones? That game's nuts!) they aren't really putting any care in showing it off.

Last edited:

Raxious

Oct 27, 2017
Alright so although this seems to be about headset, would a soundbar that supports LCPM 8ch work with the switch in surround sound?

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
I have these headphones:

But when I hit the VSS button, nothing happens. It all sounds the same. (Tried in Botw)

Oct 26, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
This inspired me to start searching for a replacement ear cup and battery for my Gold Headset.

It was purchased in 2015 and by the middle of last year I was only getting a few hours per charge from it.

I found the ear cups online for like $15 which is awesome. Anyone know of a good battery replacement?

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Sorry, why doesn't the Switch output in surround sound normally?

Now, Switch has the issue of outputting linear PCM and not having TOSlink output at all

I don't know what these phrases mean if that helps in your attempt at an explanation should you choose to take on the task.

OP
OP
Reinhardt Schneider
Jun 2, 2019
Sorry, why doesn't the Switch output in surround sound normally?

I don't know what these phrases mean if that helps in your attempt at an explanation should you choose to take on the task.

Well, English isn't my first language so that may explain some oddities in my writing. My bad.

Switch doesn't output surround sound "normally" because Nintendo seemingly decided not to pay the Dolby license anymore, so now they use uncompressed audio (linear pcm), for wich TOSlink doesn't have enough bandwith.

As of today, the only ways of getting surround sound out of a Switch is either through a hdmi sound system or a usb headset.

Aaaaaand before anyone says anything, PS4 also outputs linear pcm through usb. It's the default option when using the Golds in fact.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Well, English isn't my first language so that may explain some oddities in my writing. My bad.

Switch doesn't output surround sound "normally" because Nintendo seemingly decided not to pay the Dolby license anymore, so now they use uncompressed audio (linear pcm), for wich TOSlink doesn't have enough bandwith.

As of today, the only ways of getting surround sound out of a Switch is either through a hdmi sound system or a usb headset.

Aaaaaand before anyone says anything, PS4 also outputs linear pcm through usb. It's the default option when using the Golds in fact.

Don't most current sound systems use HDMI anyway? Sorry my familiarity with in home audio equipment is basically non-existent outside of setting up some soundbars with rear speakers for friends. Also I had no issues reading your post I just don't know what linear PCM or TOSLink is lol.

OP
OP
Reinhardt Schneider
Jun 2, 2019
Don't most current sound systems use HDMI anyway? Sorry my familiarity with in home audio equipment is basically non-existent outside of setting up some soundbars with rear speakers for friends.

Yeah, TOSlink is going the way of the dodo. The most recent sound codecs need the bandwith of either usb or hdmi (Dolby Atmos and DTS:X) Xbox Series X wont have TOSlink, PS4 slim doesn't have it either. It's a very old connector at this point, but people still treat it as the norm (Asus and Creative still using it in their sound cards while not adding hdmi doesn't help either) and i didn't really want the thread to spin about that debate, so i just went with that thinking instead of fully speaking my mind

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
This thread title is somewhat confusing. This primarily relates to headphone users. Switch has always output surround sound via HDMI to modern receivers.

OP
OP
Reinhardt Schneider
Jun 2, 2019
This thread title is somewhat confusing. This primarily relates to headphone users. Switch has always output surround sound via HDMI to modern receivers.

Yeah the thread is oriented to headaet users first and foremost, i specify that in the title and the op. Is obviously oriented to getting surround soindnon a headset through usb.

However, i have no issue speaking about the normal method.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, so switch will not do compressed surround if just using an optical out or HDMI ARC from your TV???

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
Good news, a patch for the game came out, so I retested things. Audio seems to be 4.1 in gameplay, never been able to get center to work, but rears will have sound now. Cutscenes seem to be always stereo. It's a pretty poor implementation so I'll continue on just using Pro Logic II.

Soul Lab

Nov 17, 2017
Hmm this is news to me!
What do I do if my receiver hasn't a usb port?

Sometimes, this linear PCM signal gives you 5.1, right? I remember when I tried it with Super Mario Odyssey when I got my 5.1 system

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm this is news to me!
What do I do if my receiver hasn't a usb port?

Sometimes, this linear PCM signal gives you 5.1, right? I remember when I tried it with Super Mario Odyssey when I got my 5.1 system
If you're using a modern receiver, connecting your Switch via HDMI will likely give you 5.1, if the game itself supports it. The OP mentions that this topic is mostly geared towards headphone users, just not in the title (or original post.)

OP
OP
Reinhardt Schneider
Jun 2, 2019
Good news, a patch for the game came out, so I retested things. Audio seems to be 4.1 in gameplay, never been able to get center to work, but rears will have sound now. Cutscenes seem to be always stereo. It's a pretty poor implementation so I'll continue on just using Pro Logic II.

WOAAAAAAAAH

HYPE REINVIGORATED

If you're using a modern receiver, connecting your Switch via HDMI will likely give you 5.1, if the game itself supports it. The OP mentions that this topic is mostly geared towards headphone users, just not in the title (or original post.)

Yeah, that's my bad, i just assumed everyone would understand that i was speaking about headsets since i was speaking about the usb output

However, it's also true that some devices also accept PS4's usb output due to the slim model not having TOSlink, like the Sound Blaster Katana soundbar.

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's my bad, i just assumed everyone would understand that i was speaking about headsets since i was speaking about the usb output

However, it's also true that some devices also accept PS4's usb output due to the slim model not having TOSlink, like the Sound Blaster Katana soundbar.
No worries, glad to hear it sounds like the game might end up having surround after all!

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Wait so if I want to play Botw in VSS on my Platinum headset I need to plug it into a PS4 first and put it into vss mode? Is that right?