• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
I keep seeing deals on this but I kinda wanna get the 2019 version just for local dimming. Is this deal worth it?

OP
OP
Aztechnology

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Too early in the morning for U.S people I guess. It'll be easy to miss out I feel like. But we'll see! Just bumping once more before I head to bed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Aztechnology

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just got an LG C9 65" a couple weeks ago. I put an order in for this and I'm rationalizing it like I'm going to stick it in some side room lol. I need to cancel my order. I don't know what the hell I'm thinking. It's just such a good deal lol.

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
To be clear it's a Google Nest mini, at first I was like "how is a Nest worthless?!".
I've got my eye on the 75"

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Already bought a TV on Thanksgiving lol
I'll wait till next year when this year's version is up for grabs for the cheap.

Thanks tho!

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
I have a hard time justifying a new TV purchase if my old one still works. How long do TVs tend to last? I've got a Toshiba 39" 1080p LED that I bought in 2012 that shows no sign of failing. Am I chained to this for ten more years?

OP
OP
Aztechnology

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have a hard time justifying a new TV purchase if my old one still works. How long do TVs tend to last? I've got a Toshiba 39" 1080p LED that I bought in 2012 that shows no sign of failing. Am I chained to this for ten more years?
Probably. Yikes. This would be an unreal upgrade for you lol.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
There used to be a point in time where capacitors would fail in around 2-3 years and people would ditch their TVs. That problem seems to be mostly dealt with but the more common issue now is fried TCON boards after a while. (The board that deals with outputting the image.)

7 years is great, imo! I still have a Samsung from '09 that had the capacitor issue - 9$ DIY fix. But now showing signs of display failure. Found it in the trash tho so IDC.

Anyway, point is, you're prob. better off waiting till next year for a new TV, if you even want one. So mull it over for a year.

logan_cadfgs

Oct 28, 2017
Got this model earlier in the year and it's pretty nice. I'm not really one to squabble over picture quality or anything, though, so I can't speak for TV die-hands. Apparently a great TV for the price, though, if the reviews anything to go by.

For those who ARE interested in getting the best TV picture, I'd advise a bit of caution. While the TCL 6 series can apparently look great, there's supposedly a chance of getting one with not-so-great solid color uniformity.

Even so, though, at this price, who can complain? 😆

Bucca

Oct 25, 2017
Oh what in the fuck, I literally bought this same model from best buy on Black Friday for $630

Bucca

Oct 25, 2017
Black Friday is now just the opening offer.

I know, I mainly said that to establish that I got it just a couple weeks ago.

Anyone know if Best Buy will do a retroactive price adjustment?

Edit: Yep, just got them to credit the difference back to my card. Nice.

Last edited:

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Hm viewing angles and screen uniformity issues are a deal breaker for me unfortunately. I've been trying to get a good deal for a 4K TV before next-gen hits for a while. Guess I'll just save up more for something premium.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Maaannnn...I'm still on my 50" Panasonic plasma from 2008 (720p). Honestly can't justify replacing it right now, because the picture is still great. ....But as soon as I see ONE dead pixel, I'm going HAM.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
I just bought a 1080p 49-inch TV back in 2015, and I still have a 1080i/720p 32-incher from 2008 in service, lol.

I really want this deal, however...might be too good to pass up.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
This TV's a no brainer. Gets brighter then most if not any tv from 2018 at literally half the cost. Friend had the Sony x900e, and yes it did look better, but absolutely not $600 better.

My next TV's gonna be an oled but not for probably 5 years. Even then I'll have a real hard time letting this beauty go.

Foxashel

Banned
Jul 18, 2019
I love this TV. We have the same model in our family room, is in constant use, and I love the Roku interface. Amazing price. Deal of the year. Christmas came early.

Jul 18, 2018
This TV's a no brainer. Gets brighter then most if not any tv from 2018 at literally half the cost. Friend had the Sony x900e, and yes it did look better, but absolutely not $600 better.

My next TV's gonna be an oled but not for probably 5 years. Even then I'll have a real hard time letting this beauty go.
Friend is dumb. However if he didn't want to play screen lottery with TCL then it makes sense. However the Vizio panel is definitely better and could have went with that over x900e

Jul 18, 2018
I mean Google Nest is just an added bonus considering it's fairly worthless. But the 65" R615 (Last years model Rtings comparison here) for $500 is pretty insane. Sure it's not a next gen tv with HDMI 2.1 and VRR. But that pretty much is reserved for the LG B,C,E 9 right now which is 3-4x more expensive.

Hell I'm half tempted and I don't need it at all.
Edit: mistaken

Last edited:

Bucca

Oct 25, 2017
Please update this.
The best buy model is a 65R615... 15 at the end is different from last year's 17. It's a step lower than the 17...

Main difference is 15 is edge lit, whereas 17 is full array dimming. I wouldn't really recommend this if you aren't going full array. So it's vastly different

Edit: NVM I was wrong

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
Friend is dumb. However if he didn't want to play screen lottery with TCL then it makes sense. However the Vizio panel is definitely better and could have went with that over x900e
Im the closest thing to an enthusiast in my circle, most people go off name brand. No way a Roku tv is on par with a Sony! Poppycock! Im paying $1000 for the damn thing!

Quake1028

Oct 25, 2017
Just a word of warning, be prepared to return several times if you are not happy with the panel you get. Mine had horrific DSE and some other issues. Returned it for a Vizio P65 and was much happier.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldnt recommend any so called cheap 4k HDR tvs for gamers. they are good if you are a casual watching netflix stuff, but if you are spending hundreds on a tv to get the best hdr then going with cheaper models like this is folly.

Spend at least $1000 or dont bother. rtings actually overrates cheaper sets like these for some reason. enthusiasts like people here would not be happy to buy a tv only to complain how they cant tell the difference in HDR.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldnt recommend any so called cheap 4k HDR tvs for gamers. they are good if you are a casual watching netflix stuff, but if you are spending hundreds on a tv to get the best hdr then going with cheaper models like this is folly.

Spend at least $1000 or dont bother. rtings actually overrates cheaper sets like these for some reason. enthusiasts like people here would not be happy to buy a tv only to complain how they cant tell the difference in HDR.
These TCLs are an outlier. They actually do have great specs. It's kind of a no-brainer to grab one, esp. if you have a spare $300 or so. imo, they raised the bar for many other brands. But yeah, a gamer might have a different opinion on this. Personally, I just watch movies so a professional calibration and I'm happy.

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
I don't need this but that price is insane. I know RTings says HDR brightness is a step up from my P607 but by just how much?

Hmm...

Oct 30, 2017

People have been saying these TCL TVs punch quite above their weight given the price.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I probably shouldn't do it. I have the comparable Vizio in the living room now, and I have a 55" P series from a few years ago in the bedroom. I feel like a 65" would be too massive for the bedroom 😅

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Haha I've read the comparison but I meant in real-world use from someone who's seen both. Is HDR going to blow me away if I have a P607? I see the nit values are more than double in some cases but how does that translate to viewing experience for someone who's seen both?
Depends really on a few different factors but yeah, things would 'pop' more for lack of a better term. I do not think you'd be blown away by the difference. More for purists if I had to be honest.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
Still have my Samsung KS8000 65 inch.

Samsung patches bricked my apps on the TV, but the TV is still going strong. I just went ahead and attached a Nvidia shield on it and I'm good to go. Still haven't found a better TV other than OLED TV that can best my ks8000 to a point where I'm forced to upgrade.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Still have my Samsung KS8000 65 inch.

Samsung patches bricked my apps on the TV, but the TV is still going strong. I just went ahead and attached a Nvidia shield on it and I'm good to go. Still haven't found a better TV other than OLED TV that can best my ks8000 to a point where I'm forced to upgrade.
The TCL actually wins out in many ways lol It's crazy how much they raised the bar. Biggest difference is edge-lit vs full array local dimming.

I would like to see how these hold up in about 5 years tho.

But yea, fuckin' "smart tvs" I hate 'em. We all knew those apps were never gonna last. That's why having a separate device is always the way to go. Plus you can modify them with Kodi and other thangs.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
The TCL actually wins out in many ways lol It's crazy how much they raised the bar. Biggest difference is edge-lit vs full array local dimming.

I would like to see how these hold up in about 5 years tho.

But yea, fuckin' "smart tvs" I hate 'em. We all knew those apps were never gonna last. That's why having a separate device is always the way to go. Plus you can modify them with Kodi and other thangs.

I blame Samsung because when I called their service after they looked into the TV they blame me for disrupting the update. I told them that I never touched the TV and when they ask for the update I click okay and walked away.

I may never buy another Samsung TV again.

And I agree, Nvidia Shield was the best investment I've made. Kodi is amazing!!

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
I have the P607 and I love it but I wouldn't mind springing for this simply for the larger size and better nit output. I'm going to have to spring for this aren't I? UGH. Hopefully I can sell my P series

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
There used to be a point in time where capacitors would fail in around 2-3 years and people would ditch their TVs. That problem seems to be mostly dealt with but the more common issue now is fried TCON boards after a while. (The board that deals with outputting the image.)

7 years is great, imo! I still have a Samsung from '09 that had the capacitor issue - 9$ DIY fix. But now showing signs of display failure. Found it in the trash tho so IDC.

Anyway, point is, you're prob. better off waiting till next year for a new TV, if you even want one. So mull it over for a year.

What's happening next year? I mean, I'm not gonna be replacing this TV until it dies either way, but just curious.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
What's happening next year? I mean, I'm not gonna be replacing this TV until it dies either way, but just curious.
For one, these TVs will be way cheaper and they're already in the ball-park of great. So yeah, I guess I'm just recommending buying last year's (or even two year's) model every year. I recommend that for most tech. It's a good rule of thumb but it doesn't always work out like that. Next year tho, I think it's safe to say this.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I bought this model for full price when it released last year and paid $1,100. It's been worth every penny. This deal is utterly insane. This is straight up theft. Dont think twice, just buy it.