• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
While looking over the Dauntless thread it seems like quite a few people are using old apps like PS4windows, and dealing with any controller bugs that natively support the controllers from consoles not knowing they can just use Steam Input to fully play how they want, even using gyro assist or the touch pad as a mouse if they so please. Here's how to set it up.

Old way, better more direct method below this quote
First link Epic Games Launcher to your steam library.
Qmr4Sym.jpg

Here you can either keep it as EpicGamesLauncher or name it something else. Maybe you don't want people in your friends list to know you're using EGS or playing a EGS game. It may be better to not have a different EGS link for multiple EGS games since, but something that let's you know this will launch EGS because you can't link individual EGS games through Steam.
QBJEsWe.jpg

Now you may need to launch steam in administrator mode (I find this helps when Steam Input doesn't catch a non steam game being launched through steam), you may also need to try Big Picture Mode if it doesn't work (I haven't needed to do this in a while, only for rare Steam games actually. Edit: Steam updates screw things up a lot usually, currently EGS games need to be launched when Steam is in Big Picture Mode). This is the nature of Steam Input, it can be a bit frustrating at times, even for Steam games like Street Fighter V. Oh and if it still isn't catching any game, you may want to try entering or exiting Steam beta. Also sometimes a Steam Update changes something so you will want to exit or enter beta again if things stop working).

When you launch EGS with a controller connected it should give you a notification that the controller was detected and that it's using a particular profile. You may need to launch EGS twice, I think it stops detecting EGS as you're logging into it. Just exit and try it again if it doesn't work, you should see the non-steam title of the link that you made for EGS.

After EGS launches, just pick your game, look for the controller detected + profile currently in use notification, and from there just make a controller profile for the game you are playing. Edit the buttons how you like, and save it with whatever title you want (maybe the name of the game so you can do the same for other EGS games if you have a need). Each profile takes up like a few KBs (1-2 digits) of space, so go with however many you want.

XBoXkyC.jpg

mfmZIuh.jpg

It also works with all of the other launchers. For more tips and things there's a steam input thread on Era.

www.resetera.com

Steam Input Thread | Comfy Couch Would Be Perfect On PC

SteamWorks Documentation on Steam Input is available here This thread aims to be a resource for understanding Steam Input - the umbrella term referring to the entire collection of software, hardware, and configuration utilities that Steam uses to interface with games. Valve's Steam Controller...

Another thing, if the overlay is laggy and frustrating to edit with, you can edit your controller config just by right clicking the EGS launcher link in the Steam Library and select "Edit Steam Controller Configuration."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Another method by gblues

"You actually can launch EGS games directly from Steam! I figured out how to do it and can confirm it works with both Borderlands 3 and The Outer Worlds, and probably every other game as well.​
BEFORE YOU START: Install the game via EGS with "create shortcut" enabled.​
1. Open Steam​
2. Click Games > Add Non-Steam game​
3. Add the EpicGamesLauncher. You will probably need to browse to the EpicGamesLauncher.exe in the Win64 directory (have not tested if the win32 one works)​
4. On your desktop, right-click the game icon and choose properties​
5. Copy the URL field (highlight & press CTRL+C)​
6. in Steam, right-click the EpicGamesLauncher and choose Properies​
7. click SET LAUNCH OPTIONS...​
8. Pasts the URL you copied in step 5 and click OK​
9. Rename the link to the name of the game​
10. (optional) click CHOOSE ICON and browse to the actual game exe to get the right icon​
11. click Close​
Repeat the above steps for each EGS game you want to launch via Steam!"​

Last edited:

ArtemisLunar

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jun 13, 2018
Thanks for the guide, does this method adds some delay between the controller and the game?

OP
OP
Ploid 6.0

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
No, It's just enabling steam input to be used with whatever you plan to use it with. Well if it adds delay it should add delay for steam games as well. There can be a big weird overlay lag that happens though. Steam Input has a lot of weird stuff that happens, but gameplay should be fine, I've been using it for years, the only thing is that sometimes a steam update can happen and suddenly your controller config is acting weird. Or maybe you edit your config so much that suddenly random buttons are pressing. My Warframe configuration seems to have a few phantom button presses depending on what two buttons I press at the same time. .

gblues

Oct 25, 2017
Tigard, OR
You actually can launch EGS games directly from Steam! I figured out how to do it and can confirm it works with both Borderlands 3 and The Outer Worlds, and probably every other game as well.

BEFORE YOU START: Install the game via EGS with "create shortcut" enabled.

1. Open Steam
2. Click Games > Add Non-Steam game
3. Add the EpicGamesLauncher. You will probably need to browse to the EpicGamesLauncher.exe in the Win64 directory (have not tested if the win32 one works)
4. On your desktop, right-click the game icon and choose properties
5. Copy the URL field (highlight & press CTRL+C)
6. in Steam, right-click the EpicGamesLauncher and choose Properies
7. click SET LAUNCH OPTIONS...
8. Pasts the URL you copied in step 5 and click OK
9. Rename the link to the name of the game
10. (optional) click CHOOSE ICON and browse to the actual game exe to get the right icon
11. click Close

Repeat the above steps for each EGS game you want to launch via Steam!

Ploid 6.0 feel free to update the OP

OP
OP
Ploid 6.0

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of EGS games seem to be DRM free so I don't need to do it for them, but for games like Fortnite or Dauntless which need EGS I have to do this.

gblues Will do.

Did you have to do this for The Outer Worlds? It seemed like some say it's DRM free, currently still playing the GP version for now since I already downloaded it there, and I have a lot of time on GP still.

gblues

Oct 25, 2017
Tigard, OR
A lot of EGS games seem to be DRM free so I don't need to do it for them, but for games like Fortnite or Dauntless which need EGS I have to do this.

gblues Will do.

Did you have to do this for The Outer Worlds? It seemed like some say it's DRM free, currently still playing the GP version for now since I already downloaded it there, and I have a lot of time on GP still.

Dunno. However, this method is the most reliable because it's exactly what happens when you double-click the shortcut on the desktop. If you dig around in the Windows registry for the EGS url handler you can see that the "open" action runs the EpicGameLauncher with the URL as the first parameter.