• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
This thread is EXCLUSIVELY for discussing free games that are being notified through this thread:

www.resetera.com

"Add these games to your account, keep them forever" - NOTIFICATIONS ONLY

This thread is EXCLUSIVELY for posting new free games. It has a companion thread for discussing the games or giveaways, here: https://www.resetera.com/threads/psa-thread-of-add-this-game-to-your-account-now-and-keep-it-forever.47424/ Please respect that this thread is subscribed to by many...

You may notice games were being notified here until around page 180, when the split happened; still, from now on, please post actual new game notifications in the thread above (rather than here) so that people subscribed to it won't miss any. Thank you very much for your collaboration!

Last edited:

Coolduderedux

Oct 25, 2017
TABG came out on Tuesday and is free for the first 100 hours of its release -- so like until Sunday? It's as stupidly fun as it looks.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/823130/Totally_Accurate_Battlegrounds/

ss_afbff9aafd2f4368018d594fe00039cbf08fe586.600x338.jpg
ss_86ded0b696212d241a9cc6a0577d94f954e030c1.600x338.jpg

Last edited:

The Cellar Letters

lmayo
Oct 25, 2017
I can't find either of those games because the steam store is too full of garbage.
JK thanks OP.
TABG is pretty cool. The scope has a weird glitch that makes my screen turn grey when I use it though

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This seems like a waste if you can't post price errors, or is there already a thread for that?

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Edit: Completely misread, disregard! Sorry!
AFAIK it's not a free to play game. It's only free if you grab it in the first 100 hours.

Why does the game cost money for the people who download it after the first 100 hours?

The first 100 hours after the release will be free for all and that means free forever, if you get the game before the first 100 hours end you will NOT have to pay to keep it. The 4.99$ price after the first 100 hours goes to preserving the game such as server costs etc.

EDIT: Nevermind I was way too slow to respond. :P

This seems like a waste if you can't post price errors, or is there already a thread for that?
There are tons of games like the type for which this thread is intended. So, I'm not sure why this is a waste. Pricing mistakes are just that: mistakes.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

So much of a waste we got two games in the span of ten minutes already. :P

There is a plethora of moral issues with taking advantage of honest pricing mistakes that I, as a dev myself, won't touch with a ten foot pole.

AFAIK it's not a free to play game. It's only free if you grab it in the first 100 hours.

I was so quick to correct my mistake you even quoted the corrected version, haha. *hugs*

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So much of a waste we got two games in the span of ten minutes already. :P

There is a plethora of moral issues with taking advantage of honest pricing mistakes that I, as a dev myself, won't touch with a ten foot pole.

I was so quick to correct my mistake you even quoted the corrected version, haha. *hugs*
I know there are others, but my thought process is that the games that aren't free to play and aren't accidentally free probably aren't very good lol

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I know there are others, but my thought process is that the games that aren't free to play and aren't accidentally free probably aren't very good lol

If you consider games like Crusader Kings II and Psychonauts (both have been temporarily and intentionally free in the past) "not very good", then sure. :P

In any case, if there was ever a thread to challenge that thought process, this is it! :D

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you consider games like Crusader Kings II and Psychonauts (both have been temporarily and intentionally free in the past) "not very good", then sure. :P

In any case, if there was ever a thread to challenge that thought process, this is it! :D
Hmmm. I didn't know that. Thanks for correcting me lol, I'll keep an eye on this thread for sure.

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017

Again, two games were mentioned right off the bat. If you aren't interested, then you don't have to come in the thread. Just because you don't like a thing doesn't mean it shouldn't exist.

On-topic: I grabbed the PUBG parody yesterday thinking it was a specialized version of Totally Accurate and I was shocked to open it up. What a weird thing to put out but I'm glad it just dropped out of nowhere.

Deleted member 134

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good thread idea only if people post when listing a free game. Don't want to subscribe to the thread if people are bumping it for other reasons. IMO

Deleted member 388

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good thread idea only if people post when listing a free game. Don't want to subscribe to the thread if people are bumping it for other reasons. IMO
I imagine that will subside after a day of people posting that this is a good idea and then only get bumped when there's a new game.

That said, this is a good idea OP. Thanks for the heads up! Fortified looks like something right up my alley.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Great thread idea and thanks for bringing TABG to my attention. It looks stupid in the best way.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
People already post these things in the Free to a good home thread. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Oh, that's perfectly fine. Also, it's a really great idea for a thread, didn't want to just nitpick.

No, you did well in correcting me, thanks. :)

Edited my TABG post to clarify that it's free for the next few days. Sorry Weltall Zero :(

Absolutely no problem. I should have checked the link you posted instead of assuming.

Oh, I see, tha't a good idea as there's a lot of overlap. I personally feel kind of bad about subscribing to that thread, like I'm robbing people of things they could need more than I do (I'm swimming in games already); here, I don't feel like I'm hurting anyone's chances to get free stuff. I also live in the EU, so I'm ineligible for many of the things people generously offer in that thread.

It's inevitable that the thread will be bumped for a while until it settles, and it's a good thing too, so that people can see it in the front page and subscribe to it if they want. In a few days or weeks I expect it'll only be bumped when there's actual free games.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Thread Whining / Derailment
This thread is redundant because of that thread.

Now a great thread would be for price errors or great deals. Would need to make sure people who post in that thread are only posting new deals. Then we can have a new thread created to talk about them. This way people with alerts don't get spammed and can increase the chance of people getting the deal.

Example post would be

Pandy

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Which I, and presumably others, had no idea about because it is only tangentially relevant to that thread's title.

For me with a lot of these games it is important to know that the game is 'generally' free for a period of time so that I can get my online crew to grab them too so we can play them together, rather than there is a single copy available, so I would be far more likely to check this thread out when it hit the front-page than the other one.

Kilbane65

Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing the BLOPS3 promo for PS4 kind of misses the criteria from the OP? Since it requires a PS+ sub.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
This thread is redundant because of that thread.

Now a great thread would be for price errors or great deals. Would need to make sure people who post in that thread are only posting new deals. Then we can have a new thread created to talk about them. This way people with alerts don't get spammed and can increase the chance of people getting the deal.

Example post would be

Every single one of your points has been addressed earlier in the thread. You are both thread whining (which is against the TOS) and advocating a morally questionable practice that is not far removed from piracy. If you don't care to the damage done to game developers due to pricing errors, why would you care about the damage done by piracy? As a dev myself, there's no practical difference to me in the end. In fact pricing errors are more damaging as they're taken advantage en masse by people who would ordinarily not pirate; amplifying that by using a popular platform like ResetEra is highly irresponsible.

This thread is not for you, we get it, feel free to move along. Several people here have expressed this is valuable for them, even considering the existence of the other thread.

Oynox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great thread, keeps the other one clean of those things and I see whenever there are freebies to get.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Sorry for being another post of no content, but since some people are thinking the thread has no value....

I like the idea for this thread. "People post this kind of deals on the free thread!" yeah they do, but they're the ones using that thread "wrong". That thread should mostly be for giveaways from era users-companies and it is the bulk of it. Having a separate thread for truly "made avaliable for free! games on a timed base is terrific - i'm surely going to keep an eye on it. Just wish i had something better to cooperate but hey, if mods want to delete this later to keep the thread on focus no biggie!

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Sorry for being another post of no content, but since some people are thinking the thread has no value....

I like the idea for this thread. "People post this kind of deals on the free thread!" yeah they do, but they're the ones using that thread "wrong". That thread should mostly be for giveaways from era users-companies and it is the bulk of it. Having a separate thread for truly "made avaliable for free! games on a timed base is terrific - i'm surely going to keep an eye on it. Just wish i had something better to cooperate but hey, if mods want to delete this later to keep the thread on focus no biggie!

Thanks for the kind words! I don't think there's any issue bumping the thread for a few minutes / hours when there's an actual giveaway going on, it gives it a bit more visibility.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Great thread, following. My Steam library is full of these games. I don't really play most of them but you never know there may be a rainy day one day where I'm bored (plus there are a handful of games I'd of probably never played and quite enjoyed).

Yoshi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Great thread, thanks!

It was announced yesterday in Sony's E3 Showcase stream that Call of Duty: Black Ops III is available for free for PS+ users

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0002-CUSA02290_00-BLACKOPS3GAME000
I would suggest not listing games that you get through a subscription service here, because there are dedicated threads for that. These games are not actually free, you are paying for them through your subscription service and in case of PS+, do not even keep after the subscription expires.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Great idea for a thread.

I'd recommend every "free forever" game have a similar posting layout, something like:

[Ziggurat is free on GOG until June 13th, 2018: Link. Requires GOG Account.]

Maybe with a picture of it or something too. Just something that jumps out, while telling you everything you need to know.

Last edited:

B-Man

Oct 27, 2017
I would suggest not listing games that you get through a subscription service here, because there are dedicated threads for that. These games are not actually free, you are paying for them through your subscription service and in case of PS+, do not even keep after the subscription expires.

Good point, and i agree.