• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Storm

Oct 25, 2017
The list of affected games is currently unknown and varies between digital, physical and regions, but we don't know if Sony will fix this or not, so best to patch your game collections now while you can.

Anyone able to test games should do so, although please do not delete anything in order to test as you may lose data doing so.

PSNProfiles forums are starting to put together a list of missing updates, although it is still very early.

*No Patches for Some PS3 Games*

Some of PS3 Videogames don't get a Patch and the patch is essential to play DLC, Online Mode and earn Trophies. Unavailable Patch at the boot of the game...

Will be going through my physical discs tomorrow and will report back my findings.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Wow. What a mess. Makes discovering PS3 late or going back much less appealing.

Oct 28, 2017
I think the MGS4 patch made it so you didnt have to install after every act. Since that game has never been re released, i would snag that patch asap. Unless you like seeing snake smoke.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"At least you can download your games!"

Well so much for that. If the updates are now unstable (which is especially destructive for games that are MP focused like SF3 Online) then how long until we can't download our games?

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Such bullshit behavior by the market leader, and I say this as someone who paid $600 for a launch PS3.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Given the list, it seems more like oversight that outright removal. Like, LBP is fine, but the GOTY edition isn't?

I think the MGS4 patch made it so you didnt have to install after every act. Since that game has never been re released, i would snag that patch asap. Unless you like seeing snake smoke.
If you can, grab the 25th Anniversary Edition of MGS4. It has the patch on the disc.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I bet they're moving everything over to a different, cheaper server as they're prepping to nuke the store. Patches and data that you can redownload from your download list.

Still obviously better safe than sorry.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've had to replace a lot of PS3s so it sounds like I need to spend a few days going through all my physical disks and updating them.

Sep 23, 2018
I still have the MGS Database installed, I expect it to be a victim of all this too.

This is even less welcome news as Im only just after deleting some installs to make room for downloads. F

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Like could Sony really not make an emulator for the PS5 and migrate all that shit so we can still have access to the shit instead of this whole fuckin mess?

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
It seems like some weird oversight but if things are falling apart now, it doesn't bode well for downloads after the store shutdown. Hard to have any faith in that stuff staying available for long.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
"Users starting to forget the PS3 ever existed. 'What's that?' snickers Sony's Jim Ryan"

OP
OP
Storm

Storm

Oct 25, 2017
How does the digital version of this game work? Did it never have installs after every act? I only have it on disc.

Digital has no installs, but it also doesn't support the DLC if you have that downloaded.

Not every game is effected, but best to get the important patches downloaded if you haven't already since who knows if this is just the start.

ItsBradazHD

Nov 21, 2018
How does this keep getting worse and worse. First some Vita/PS1 classics were delisted shortly after announce of store closure now this..

Everyone should be grabbing what they want asap

aceldama

Jun 8, 2019
In the early days of PS3 there was no central PSN system for patches so patches were hosted on servers associated with individual games. Lots of those games quietly turned their servers off over the last few years. Gran Turismo 5 lost the ability to be patched at the same time it lost the ability to be played in multiplayer because it had the same dedicated servers doing both, there are various others.

This isn't connected with the store going down, people are just learning about it now because they're going back to their old games due to the store closing. Any games that use the central PSN system for patches should still be supported after the store closes, other games that are already unpatchable will have been unpatchable for a long time.

TLDR: you don't need to panic and 'patch games now' but that ship has sailed for most/all games that used their own dedicated servers.

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck?

Christ I dunno about investing in Playstation ecosystems anymore, this is a fucking disaster. I guess I better grab Mamorukun and Trash Panic tomorrow...