• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao seriously. I get that it's walmart, but people act like it's walking into Chernobyl or some shit.
A place where you can die. I mean how crazy of a statement is that?

Just ask an El Paso resident who wants this $10 discount but is on the fence for some reason...

Jaypher

Dec 8, 2018
Arizona
I moved out further in the desert here in Arizona, so of course Walmart recently moved in and took over. This is good to know, I just hate giving them money.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
I would go to Walmart and buy a game.

giphy.gif

People in this thread throwing you some extra money your way

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
I'll spend the extra $10 in order to not have to lug around all my games. Switch is primarily a handheld for me, so portability is a big deal in this regard.

Ashflow

Feb 13, 2018
US
Are everyone else's Walmart's floors made of sludge or something? I don't get it.

Neat that Ring Fit Adventure is 70, too, I've been meaning to check if that was the case.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A place where you can die. I mean how crazy of a statement is that?

Just ask an El Paso resident who wants this $10 discount but is on the fence for some reason...
? You can die literally anywhere. On the drive to GameStop or whatever grocery store you go to. At the bar. At your home.

The people in this thread are kinda shit, and I promise you you're not better than us who have to shop at Walmart because money is tight. Amazon, Target, GameStop are all just as bad. You don't have some moral high ground here.

breakfuss

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is a weirdly elitist thread.

It really isn't. I'm all for being frugal but everytime I go to Walmart it's an insufferable experience. The employees are unhelpful at best, sometimes even rude. They have a million checkout lanes but seem to ever only staff a handful. Place is a mess. My time is too valuable. Luckily I still have GCU for a little while longer.

Power Shot

Oct 27, 2017
Preordered mine at Best Buy with a gift card, and I'll be getting ten dollars back from a pre order bonus when I pick it up, so I probably wrangled the best deal.

famicorpse

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Mar 15, 2019
Yeah then you have to give money to Walmart tho. I did this for Zelda LA and it was an awful experience with an employee ignoring me during the transaction with no eye contact. I can't even blame them, they get paid garbage.

But, out of curiosity, who are you going to give your money to? Amazon?
There's no ethical spending in late stage capitalism bud. Sorry.

I've also never understood the concept of wanting to have more than a transaction with a cashier. Just ring me up and I'm out.
Why do people want to have this bonding moment with employees? Are folks that lonely?

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
What's wrong with Walmart reputation in the US? Here in Canada it's like any other big store
Am I missing something or is it a hyperbole?
I see some crazy youtube videos about Walmart weird situations but certainly this is not the norm, right?

Solidus

Oct 27, 2017
Two things I've learned about Era this month are that they apparently instantly get diarrhea every time they eat Taco Bell, and the Walmarts they live near are hellish landscapes not worth walking into to save $10.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yall motherfuckers need to stop living in the ghetto.

This is how I got DQ. Might do this for Pokemon if they'll let me. Order online and pick up in store

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Wal Mart been selling games for 18-20 percent off MSRP for months. Need to compete with the digital age.

Oct 27, 2017

But, out of curiosity, who are you going to give your money to? Amazon?
There's no ethical spending in late stage capitalism bud. Sorry.

I've also never understood the concept of wanting to have more than a transaction with a cashier. Just ring me up and I'm out.
Why do people want to have this bonding moment with employees? Are folks that lonely?
I don't need a bonding moment but I would like them look in my general direction. That person literally did not. I swear, they were looking down at their phone, maybe for work related stuff, the entire time. And they had no clue how to run a CC not as debit, whether it was green button, back, etc. 3 managers didn't know either.

And i can buy from Best Buy or GameStop. Both have their own shitty practices too. GameStop doesn't have nearly the impact on retail industry when they advocate against their workers rights as much as say WM tho. And while they treat their employees like shit ( I worked there twice, 2006 and 2010-2011) I feel like there hierarchy of staff does less damage to staff in that there are a bunch of PT staff who get paid little and only 3-4 FT staff, who also get paid less than they should.

a single WM store employes dozens of PT and FT ppl who get paid even worse than comparable positions at GS so by pure scale that's a lot.

also, GameStop gives me the option of protesting developers or publisher practices by buying used. If I don't like Randy Pitchford or Gearbox's practices for example, I can still buy a used copy of BL3, not buy any DLC, and I will have the experience of playing the game but not rewarding them if I don't want to.

like you said there is no perfect option but I'm just trying to navigate it as best as I can. Buying from a store that treats 10 employees badly vs 100 makes me want to chose the store with 10, not to mention WM has much more power it throws around to keep these shitty practices industry wide

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
What's wrong with Walmart reputation in the US? Here in Canada it's like any other big store
Am I missing something or is it a hyperbole?
I see some crazy youtube videos about Walmart weird situations but certainly this is not the norm, right?

People of Walmart is totally a thing, and there's also the gun selling thing. The stores are also crammed full of stuff so the aisles can barely fit the huge ass carts, and it's almost always a miserable experience inside there.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Would easily go to Walmart

Except I don't buy games for more than $30 anymore unless specific games like Nintendo games

famicorpse

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Mar 15, 2019
I don't need a bonding moment but I would like them look in my general direction. That person literally did not. I swear, they were looking down at their phone, maybe for work related stuff, the entire time. And they had no clue how to run a CC not as debit, whether it was green button, back, etc. 3 managers didn't know either.

And i can buy from Best Buy or GameStop. Both have their own shitty practices too. GameStop doesn't have nearly the impact on retail industry when they advocate against their workers rights as much as say WM tho. And while they treat their employees like shit ( I worked there twice, 2006 and 2010-2011) I feel like there hierarchy of staff does less damage to staff in that there are a bunch of PT staff who get paid little and only 3-4 FT staff, who also get paid less than they should.

a single WM store employes dozens of PT and FT ppl who get paid even worse than comparable positions at GS so by pure scale that's a lot.

also, GameStop gives me the option of protesting developers or publisher practices by buying used. If I don't like Randy Pitchford or Gearbox's practices for example, I can still buy a used copy of BL3, not buy any DLC, and I will have the experience of playing the game but not rewarding them if I don't want to.

like you said there is no perfect option but I'm just trying to navigate it as best as I can. Buying from a store that treats 10 employees badly vs 100 makes me want to chose the store with 10, not to mention WM has much more power it throws around to keep these shitty practices industry wide

This is why I go digital. I don't like interacting with people because my pre-conceived notions of how I want to be treated will almost always guarantee that I have a mediocre experience. I don't care that the cashier doesn't talk to me, but I do care if they can't run a card properly (so I'll opt for self check out or a digital game).

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As with others, not worth going to or supporting Wal-mart for me. I don't have one very convenient to me, and the closest ones are in terrible areas and have shootings in the parking lots a few times a year etc. And they're just a terrible company that's killed tons of local businesses, treats employees poorly (though they've gotten better per some distant relatives who've worked for them for a long time) etc. $10 is nothing to me, I'll spend it elsewhere.

And I definitely acknowledge that stores like Best Buy, Amazon etc. aren't much/any better on multiple fronts. I just have more of a personal grudge against Wal-mart for all the local businesses it killed when it came to my hometown when I was growing up and just hate the shopping experience and locations of the local ones vs. ordering online or going to Best Buy.

KingKunta

Nov 10, 2018
This thread is so ugly and has that strong elitist smell to it. I don't fully understand the hate, I guess. I'm glad my Walmart is pretty OK.

Thank for the heads up tho, OP.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
I guess it's time to just stop leaving my house then.
That's not at all what I implied. I just thought it was wrong to make a joke about Walmart being a place where you can die when that very recently just happened in a horrific way. That's all. And I shop at Walmart sometimes.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man I don't think I've bought a new game since FFXV, I always wait for price drops. If Walmart has it for cheaper, I don't mind stopping by because it's like a 2 minute drive from my work.