• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lebon30

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Hello guys.
A few days ago, a discussion thread about "a whole new twitter is coming" by chadskin: https://www.resetera.com/threads/a-whole-new-twitter-is-coming.128235/
Or remark's a few minutes ago: https://www.resetera.com/threads/what-the-hell-did-twitter-do-to-its-desktop-site.129225/

And, now, it has been rolling out and some people, like me, think that there are a few deal breaker in there to really be a good change.
So, I ask you: do you want Old Twitter back? Yes? Well, you are in luck! But, first, let me explain why and how it works.

So, as it turns out, twitter keeps its old UI available and may or may not support them however. The old UIs will be used when you browse with an outdated browser. So, how can we use the old UI without using old software (and potentially OS)? Well, I'm glad you ask!

Say hi to your best friend: User-Agent! Every time you connect to a website, your browser sends its identity in some sort so the page knows what kind of client it's talking to. Now, obviously, there are ways of obfuscating this! Enter "User-Agent Switcher"! Like its name implies, it allows you to change the identity of your browser.

So, back twitter. Apparently, #NewTwitter is... not compatible with old version of Opera (which aren't Chromium based). So, we are gonna use its UserAgent to fool Twitter to serve the old UI while navigating with an updated browser.

So, the steps!

Step 1:
Download User-Agent Switcher
Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/uaswitcher/
Chrome/Chromium: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/user-agent-switcher-for-c/djflhoibgkdhkhhcedjiklpkjnoahfmg

Step 2:
Go into the Addons menu of your respective browser and Enter User-Agent Options.
Pick a line that has a user-agent that dumb such like a ESR version of Firefox. Pick one really.
Change the name to something you want; probably descriptive such as "Opera 9.8".
Then, for the string, enter the following
Opera/9.80 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) Presto/2.12.388 Version/12.18
Close the window

Step 3:
Go to your twitter page. Click the "User-Agent Switcher" icon in your browser.
Check "Override for Domain" then select your User Agent name you created in step 2.
Log out, clear cache and cookies for good measure. Log back in.
You should have the Old Twitter back. If not, wait a bit until twitter realize what's going on.

Enjoy twitter once again!

Now, I know that #NewTwitter as its advantages over Old Twitter, such as:
* Much more responsive.
* Bookmarks.
* Better dark mode.
* You can enter a thread and close it without leaving where you were on your timeline.
* Unloads recent tweets and loads older ones as you scroll down. That saves on RAM (so, see first point).
* Able to save images, videos... without going into page code.

But there are reasons to hate:
* Adding bookmarks is incredibly burried. When you find it, you'd tell yourself "WHY?!"
* New layout hides your follower and following counts as well as how many tweets you have.
* By hiding the above, you don't have a fast way to see who you are following by clicking "following".
* New layout as a lot of wasted space... anyway, it seems like it wastes a lot.
* The menu on the left seems incredibly amateur as UI design goes.
* And the #1 thing why you don't want #NewTwitter: "Home" vs. "Latest Tweets".
--Yes, the same crap than on mobile. Home is a "algorhythmly selected" selection of tweets from people you follow which, as you guessed, kills the purpose of twitter to see tweets and retweets as they happen.
* You hate change. Don't try to fix what's not broken.

To finish things off, I would like to credit yourcompanionAI on twitter for coming up with this fix! Original tweet:

Cheers y'all.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
At this point I will stop using twitter if they don't improve their current UI

Isn't like reddit where even though the change was shocking at first, at least I realized that there were some good ideas there

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
I'll definitely do this once they roll it out to me. I'm still using old reddit.

Another solution

kmg90

Feb 20, 2018
or you could just the rweb_optin cookie to off(I've seen others say deleting it also works YMMV)

Shift+ F9 with Twitter open in Firefox and edit the cookie value in the table

No extenstions or user agent fudgery needed

A2aXeeS.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lebon30

Lebon30

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
At this point I will stop using twitter if they don't improve their current UI

Isn't like reddit where even though the change was shocking at first, at least I realized that there were some good ideas there
That's too bad because there were a few good idea in #NewTwitter as well... But the Home/See latest tweets killed it for me.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
There are a lot of things about modern Twitter that I don't like. So I use the dabr.eu website so I can tweet like it's 2009. No bollocks, no stupid ads. Ignore the big "Dabr is closing down" sign, the guy found a new website runner.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
or you could just the rweb_optin cookie to off(I've seen others say deleting it also works YMMV)

Shift+ F9 with Twitter open in Firefox and edit the cookie value in the table

No extenstions or user agent fudgery needed

A2aXeeS.png

Tried this, but it just resets the value when i refresh the page. Is there something else I need to do?

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just resigned to the inevitable when the new Twitter was first introduced, since they always force it anyways. So I'm already used to it by now.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
What a strange question.

I suppose I associate my laptop with sitting down in a quiet place at home, whereas I use Twitter when I'm out and about, on the bus or whatever. I have my phone with me all the time, and for instance I can't even remember whether I've ever logged in to Era from my laptop. Phones are so much more convenient for social stuff.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm normally not too bothered by redesigns like this, but it's definitely the worst one I've seen so far.

So much space is used poorly. Twitter is not a small company so I don't know why they can't keep a desktop and mobile version running.

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This was the last straw for me. I dumped Facebook last year, I can dump Twitter this year if they don't revert.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
To clarify on dabr.eu, it's not a different social media community, but a website that uses some of Twitter's supported public APIs to present a very stable front-end to Twitter. It's not the prettiest website in the world, but it's uncluttered and avoids most of the nonsense Twitter had introduced over the post decade.

Highly recommended to people who just want to tweet and follow tweets. No daft ads and no silly "top tweets." You can also select how it presents external media, which makes it easier to filter out time-consuming clutter and focus on the words.

valuv

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a lot of effort for something so unimportant. New Twitter isn't great but it's not worth jumping through hoops to bring back something also not great

janoGX

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Chile
I suppose I associate my laptop with sitting down in a quiet place at home, whereas I use Twitter when I'm out and about, on the bus or whatever. I have my phone with me all the time, and for instance I can't even remember whether I've ever logged in to Era from my laptop. Phones are so much more convenient for social stuff.

Then you changed too much, not the people.

I still use my laptop for almost everything.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Then you changed too much, not the people.

I still use my laptop for almost everything.

Yeah, whatever. How do you tweet on the bus using a laptop? How could I even make this post if I had to fire up a huge great slab instead of a little thing the size of a small bar of chocolate always being ready for me? It's like expecting to use a classic mechanical typewriter when other methods work better.

janoGX

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Chile
Yeah, whatever. How do you tweet on the bus using a laptop? How could I even make this post if I had to fire up a huge great slab instead of a little thing the size of a small bar of chocolate always being ready for me? It's like expecting to use a classic mechanical typewriter when other methods work better.

I mean, I'm on my bed writing this since I'm on vacation.

But 70-80% of my internet time is on a Laptop or PC, that you can't use it is not my problem.

OP
OP
Lebon30

Lebon30

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
So... it seems that either twitter fixed it or something else is happening.
It seems that User-Agent Switching isn't working anymore. Tweets don't load anymore in the old twitter but loads fine in new twitter.
Sigh...