• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
3ffd42298832191b89483e6708b37dd88aebf5dd-scaled.jpg

How have you taken advantage of PS5's power to create Horizon Forbidden West: Burning Shores?

One of our key priorities with Horizon games is to add a ton of detail and richness to our environments. On Horizon Forbidden West, everything we added or increased was something we'd need to have a plan around how to optimize for PS4 as well. On Burning Shores, since we can just focus on PS5, we've been able to charge forward and we're really excited about what we've been able to pull off in creating this stunning post-post-apocalyptic version of Los Angeles.

The cityscape ruins of LA and its surroundings are highly detailed and require a lot of processing power as well as fast streaming technology to run properly; especially when the player is flying over the lands and can see a lot at once. One of the settlements is situated in and around those detailed ruins, and we were able to squeeze a lot of activity in there.

Another notable one is a particular battle scene that requires a LOT of memory and processing power! To achieve this grand vision both technically and creatively, we definitely were thankful for the many advantages that the PS5 hardware brings.

Horizon Forbidden West delivers fantastic visual effects, animations and immersive audio during combat encounters, especially when battling some of the larger machines. How have you taken advantage of PS5 to deliver these rich visual performances and what can we expect from Burning Shores?

Using the PS5's processing power we can run certain simulations at higher speed creating more lifelike results and a better gameplay experience. On PS5, the Horizon Forbidden West base game runs at a higher resolution and at a higher framerate than on PS4, and assets are more detailed which makes the overall quality much better. There is also a special lighting setup for Aloy that we normally only display during cinematics, but is active on the PS5 at all times. On PS5 we can draw at higher detail much further into the distance, displaying the stunning vistas our players encounters all across the map. We also support 40Hz Mode and Variable Refresh Rate on capable TVs for even more fluid gameplay.

View: https://youtu.be/ShJuY6Zl2Aw

More at PSBLOG: https://blog.playstation.com/2023/0...burning-shores-will-harness-the-power-of-ps5/

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
As awesome as this, is, it'd be a lot more awesome if they also didn't have to get a similar experience up and running on PS4.

Edit: oh, not coming to PS4! That's great.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Oh boy, this is gonna be interesting as hell to play. And I expect the DLC and videos of it to get dissected like mad.

Hold on to your butts.

Gonzito

Banned
Apr 5, 2022
Spain
I will wait for the pc version. Even with the fixed anti aliasing, the game is still quite shimmery in certain places. I prefer to play it on pc with DLSS

Red Kong XIX

Oct 11, 2020
Now since people actually can buy PS5s, Sony has finally left the "cross-gen didn't hold us back that much, and this way more players can play it"-phase, and entered the "cross-gen actually hold us back a lot, fuck the PS4"-phase.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
this DLC is PS5 only....so, no need to worry about PS4

It's not coming to PS4.

They don't. Burning Shores is PS5 only.

It not being on PS4 is literally what this article is about.

I believe the dlc is ps5 exclusive or am I misremembering?

They're not, it's exclusive to PS5.

My bad! Thanks.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Using the PS5's processing power we can run certain simulations at higher speed creating more lifelike results and a better gameplay experience. On PS5, the Horizon Forbidden West base game runs at a higher resolution and at a higher framerate than on PS4, and assets are more detailed which makes the overall quality much better. There is also a special lighting setup for Aloy that we normally only display during cinematics, but is active on the PS5 at all times. On PS5 we can draw at higher detail much further into the distance, displaying the stunning vistas our players encounters all across the map. We also support 40Hz Mode and Variable Refresh Rate on capable TVs for even more fluid gameplay.

So same as the base game then? Didn't really answer the question.

Indie guy

Jul 11, 2022
Italy
Is this the first time that we have a DLC that is exclusive only to just one of the platforms where the original game was launched? That's weird af.

aloner

Jun 30, 2021
Australia
Doesn't really sound like there is anything happening here that wouldn't be doable on PS4 (depending on the simulation stuff they mention - that could be required for a certain large scale enemy to be viable in game potentially?) but sounds more like they have PS5's readily available now to sell (unlike in 2021/2022), and are ready to cut off the PS4.

Is this the first time that we have a DLC that is exclusive only to just one of the platforms where the original game was launched? That's weird af.
Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade did this

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Doesn't really sound like there is anything happening here that wouldn't be doable on PS4 (depending on the simulation stuff they mention - that could be required for a certain large scale enemy to be viable in game potentially?)

Fighting the Horus Titan seems to be the main highlight of the DLC and that's a pretty good reason to drop last gen if you ask me. I wouldn't want a battle of that scale to be held back.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
The base game on ps5 was a real looker in 4k 40fps, haven't seen anything that look as good.
I remember deciding to finish Horizon first and wait for Elden Ring to get patched for proper 60 fps on PS5... I should've just played Elden Ring and waited for those performance and 40 fps patches for Horizon instead lol. I ended up playing it in Quality mode at 30 fps.

aloner

Jun 30, 2021
Australia
Fighting the Horus Titan seems to be the main highlight of the DLC and that's a pretty good reason to drop last gen if you ask me. I wouldn't want a battle of that scale to be held back.
yeah they're obviously not saying that outright, but that is certainly the thing that that simulation comment could potentially be referring to, in which case it makes a lot of sense

kohlmannj

Oct 28, 2021
Manhattan, NY
Wondering if they can improve distant level of detail in this expansion. The Isle of Spires (San Francisco) in the base game, especially with all the overgrown foliage, sometimes looks rough from high up.

P.S. – I really enjoyed Horizon Forbidden West, so not even the vagueness of this blog post can dampen my already tempered excitement for the DLC. Excited to see what Guerrilla's been up to.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
But I was told Horizon Forbidden West wasn't held back on the PS5 by the PS4!

Looking forward to seeing how the expansion compares to the base game.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Pretty useless post. I want to see the visual improvements rather than read pretty vague statements about harnessing power, without specific examples, other than one massive combat scene.

Justin Bailey

BackOnline
Oct 28, 2017
I think I'm pretty close to the end of FW, I need to go ahead and complete the main story to get ready for this.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Despite being really disappointed by Forbidden West, I'm weak for giant robots. Just imagining a metal devil walking around is getting me a lot more excited than I was for the base game.

I also really hope flying around isn't going to be slow as shit.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
So... they basically revealed nothing, even tho we are supposedly one month away from release.