• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Trickstah

Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Was browsing through Twitter and saw Wario64 (I'm sure everyone knows him) retweet a tweet by an individual who has reached a "1000 save file limit" and is unable to save anymore, even though they have the cloud storage space.

Here's the tweet:

They also posted this on Reddit (linked from the tweets in their tweet thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PlayStatio..._autouploading_saves_to_ps_plus_with_90gb_of/

In their Reddit post, they mention how he they have 90GB+ of cloud storage remaining, but is unable to use it since they have reached 1000 save files.

I tried searching for a thread about this but couldn't find it. I didn't even know they had a save file limit on top of the cloud storage limit. What is the point of giving 100GB, if you're going to implement a limit on save files? I get you can backup your saves and then delete them, but it just strikes me as so odd that there is even a limit on how many saves you can have.

Sorry if this is old news to some, but I just found out about it and maybe some other people didn't know and would like this information too.

Last edited:

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I'm struggling to think how this makes any sense from a data management perspective. PSN continues to be a clusterfuck of confusion.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
So they cap you at 100GB? Do you have to buy more or how does that work?

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
This happened to me recently. Some game, I think it was Days Gone, made hundreds of save files from autosaves or something and it broke my cloud saves because I hit the cap.I had to go in and delete tons manually. Sony's online systems are still pretty shoddy.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Well you can use up that 100GB if you share your onkine saves with other accounts...oh wait you can't because they don't let you share :(

OP
OP

Trickstah

Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Damn, what a load of bs. I always wondered how people would hit the 100gb limit lol.

Yeah 100GB is definitely enough for now in terms of saves, hopefully they increase it going into next gen. But the limit should not be there.

I'm struggling to think how this makes any sense from a data management perspective. PSN continues to be a clusterfuck of confusion.

It's actually crazy. Especially since we're nearing next-gen, so if you include all the saves from this gen and then next gen games, you will bound to hit the 1000 limit. Unless they remove the limit or up the cloud storage.

So they cap you at 100GB? Do you have to buy more or how does that work?

Once you hit 100GB, that's it, you can't upload more, you'd have to backup your saves and then delete to be able to upload more.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
It's actually crazy. Especially since we're nearing next-gen, so if you include all the saves from this gen and then next gen games, you will bound to hit the 1000 limit. Unless they remove the limit or up the cloud storage.
They have to remove the file limit, it really makes no sense when what they're actually selling is storage space.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Cloud saves have consistently been completely rubbish on PS4 compared to the competition. The fact that they require PS+ is nuts. They are free for everyone and completely unlimited on Xbox One and have been since day one. Sony have increased the size cap a few times since launch on PS4 but the fact that there's a cap at all when you also have to pay for them is crazy.

They could do so much better.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
This sounds like a max directory issue where they set the directory containing the saves to a 1000 limit, but all of the saves got to the same directory rather than into their own directory. This is usually done to prevent the directory from becoming damned near unreadable when someone gets to, say, several thousand files/directories in one directory and you cannot parse them all because the I/O is ridiculous.

OP
OP

Trickstah

Banned
Sep 16, 2018
They have to remove the file limit, it really makes no sense when what they're actually selling is storage space.

Especially when some games offer multiple saves. I mean, I know I have quite a lot of saves in Skyrim alone since I have multiple characters.

Cloud saves have consistently been completely rubbish on PS4 compared to the competition. The fact that they require PS+ is nuts. They are free for everyone and completely unlimited on Xbox One and have been since day one. Sony have increased the size cap a few times since launch on PS4 but the fact that there's a cap at all when you also have to pay for them is crazy.

I totally agree. Especially when it's a paid service. Maybe with them implementing Azure into PSN we'll most likely see them changing it to how Xbox has it. One can wish for that.

AdamT

Oct 27, 2017
Providence, Rhode Island
Coincidentally, I ran into the same issue earlier this week. I had to find old saves for stuff like PS+ games I played once or stuff I borrowed and delete those. I play a lot of JRPGs that have a ton of save spots, so that probably doesn't help.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I ran into this on Day 1, but nobody really cared about it then. It's impossible to hit the 100 GB limit unless your average save in the cloud is over 100 MB each. It's frustrating.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
I think we had a thread about this recently, both the 1000 file limit and the dumb 100GB limit. And yea, it needs to go away.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017

I agree with the sentiment of them needing to make things better, but I prefer the cloud save backup approach for Sony and Nintendo compared to Microsoft and Steam's approach where that save in the cloud is the only version of it out there. I want redundancy in case games bug out and erase saves/progress so I don't lose all of the progress I had and that borked save gets uploaded to the cloud immediately to ruin everything.

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
This might explain why a ton of stuff just fails to upload for me nightly, now.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

What's also dumb about this is that Sony somehow fucked up their save file system which resulted in gigantic files compared to other platforms.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with the sentiment of them needing to make things better, but I prefer the cloud save backup approach for Sony and Nintendo compared to Microsoft and Steam's approach where that save in the cloud is the only version of it out there. I want redundancy in case games bug out and erase saves/progress so I don't lose all of the progress I had and that borked save gets uploaded to the cloud immediately to ruin everything.

You can't save game files locally on steam and Xbox?

OP
OP

Trickstah

Banned
Sep 16, 2018

Yeah, I won't lie I do like the idea of being able to upload my own save when I want in case my file gets bugged, so that is definitely a nice feature that I would like to see Xbox have. Sony definitely need to step up their game for Cloud Storage which I hope they do now that they are using Azure servers. Maybe down the line they'll upgrade it all in time for next gen.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
What the fuck? Why is there a limit of 1000 saves?
It was probably set when the PS4 launched with 1 GB of space where that was an impossible number to hit. Of course, now they have way more games on the PS4 for people to own and with PS+, PS Now, and all of the sales, many people do have enough games for people to hit the limit.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Huh? That local save gets uploaded as soon as you close the game on Steam, so if you or the game fucked something up, it's in the cloud and you no longer have a means to get that previous save before bad things happened. I believe Xbox is the same.

Why the huh? Not a confusing question. I don't think it's the same on Xbox. I don't use steam.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
They actually need to ether fix their directory structures or put a notice that you can have 100GB of storage or 1000 save files, whichever is lower, because inodes are totally a thing. It would be great for their system to be able to recognize an autosave and maybe not save those or trim them to only the most recent number you tell it (or just say 2 and be done with it) because those seem to be the biggest offenders.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Probably an oversight or something related to how PSN works. They also have or had a limit to the friends list. Dosent make sense to have a quantity limit when thers a 100GB storage space.

Hopefully they fix this still this gen.

Last edited:

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Why the huh? Not a confusing question. I don't think it's the same on Xbox. I don't use steam.
It's sort of a general confusion that what I thought was the norm might not be true if you had the info on it changing at some point.

I've specifically had that issue with Steam's cloud saves where a game borked during the load to reset my progress and I didn't seem to have any way to regain that previous save as the Steam Cloud upload happens as soon as I closed the game, which prompted me to delete the game and move onto something else after losing 138 hours of progress. I hadn't seen any news that Xbox changed the way they handle saves to prevent that same thing from happening, as I thought the cloud save upload is done when the game is closed pretty quickly so that if something bad happens, you're screwed. Am I wrong on that?

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
They actually need to ether fix their directory structures or put a notice that you can have 100GB of storage or 1000 save files, whichever is lower, because inodes are totally a thing. It would be great for their system to be able to recognize an autosave and maybe not save those or trim them to only the most recent number you tell it (or just say 2 and be done with it) because those seem to be the biggest offenders.
If a file cap is necessary for their cloud system, which is understandable, then they really should work on how the system manages the files it receives. I won't pretend to understand precisely how this works, but throwing every single upload into the same directory makes very little sense to me.

jasius

Oct 28, 2017
Let us EDIT our clouds on the WEBSITE FFS, that awful interface is so slow and painful to use. Let me lasso the files and batch delete them, instead of having to painfully go down a list of very few options and keep scrolling.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
If a file cap is necessary for their cloud system, which is understandable, then they really should work on how the system manages the files it receives. I won't pretend to understand precisely how this works, but throwing every single upload into the same directory makes very little sense to me.
People do this all the time, sadly. Not having a good directory structure is very, very common even in the most enterprise of enterprises. Then when they've got 10k files or more in a directory and they can't get a directory listing through FTP they wonder what happened and why it's broken.

Inodes are a very, very real concern, though, as this limits the actual number of files per file system. You can easily fill a terabyte of space with just a few big files, but you can also, potentially, never reach that limit if you have an assload of tiny 1kb files (say, session handlers, txt files, swap files, whatever) because each of those eats up an inode (think of it as a pointer to the file's actual data).

This is actually a pretty good/basic rundown of it that goes from simple to technical on it: https://linuxgazette.net/105/pitcher.html

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
People do this all the time, sadly. Not having a good directory structure is very, very common even in the most enterprise of enterprises. Then when they've got 10k files or more in a directory and they can't get a directory listing through FTP they wonder what happened and why it's broken.

Inodes are a very, very real concern, though, as this limits the actual number of files per file system. You can easily fill a terabyte of space with just a few big files, but you can also, potentially, never reach that limit if you have an assload of tiny 1kb files (say, session handlers, txt files, swap files, whatever) because each of those eats up an inode (think of it as a pointer to the file's actual data).

This is actually a pretty good/basic rundown of it that goes from simple to technical on it: https://linuxgazette.net/105/pitcher.html
Thanks! I'm saving that link to read later.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I don't understand how so much of PSN is still so terrible in 2019. The PS4 has been my system of choice this gen, but PSN is crappy enough that I will probably go with Xbox next gen.

Harlowlad

Oct 27, 2017
Glad this had been spotted. I am over 1000 so now used a flash sticky back up my save. Pain but took Sony ages to increase to 100gb so doubt they will move on this whilist on PS4.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Glad this had been spotted. I am over 1000 so now used a flash sticky back up my save. Pain but took Sony ages to increase to 100gb so doubt they will move on this whilist on PS4.
While thers no fix for the 1000 limit, you can manage the files u have in the cloud and just delete unecessary files. Many games create multiple files for autosaves, that are just taking space.

I just notice my AC Odyssey has 13 save files, and i only have 2 manual saves. 5 files are from autosaves and another 5 files are from quicksaves. So thats 10 useless save files just from 1 game.

I also deleted recently alot of save files from betas, demos and games i just tried once and have no intention to play. It takes a bit of work to do, but is better than manual backup the files all the time.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's ridiculous. And 1000 doesn't sound like a bug but being an intended limit. In 2019, for a paid service.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
That sounds really bizarre. I'm not at 1000 saves but depending on the games you play that could fill up real quick.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's ridiculous. And 1000 doesn't sound like a bug but being an intended limit. In 2019, for a paid service.

My guess is it was a limit set by whatever package / programmer did it with very little thought involved. PSN has been a mess like this since day one. Same reason why it took years to get a name change.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
I was wondering why certain games wouldn't upload saves even though I'm only using like 25% of my storage space. That sucks.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
This sounds like a max directory issue where they set the directory containing the saves to a 1000 limit, but all of the saves got to the same directory rather than into their own directory. This is usually done to prevent the directory from becoming damned near unreadable when someone gets to, say, several thousand files/directories in one directory and you cannot parse them all because the I/O is ridiculous.

This.