• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Lol that's a stupid limit, gonna have to check my account so that I don't hit the limit somehow. Fix that shit Sony, come on, this is a paid service and 1000 doesn't sound like a lot tbh considering some games create multiple saves.

Nov 1, 2017
Oddly enough I just experienced something similar, only with my GameCube. I never knew there was a maximum amount of "files" you could have. Medal of Honor: Rising Sun actually states how many files are remaining. My 128Mb (2043 Block) card still has 1000 blocks available but cannot save any more data.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cloud saves have consistently been completely rubbish on PS4 compared to the competition. The fact that they require PS+ is nuts. They are free for everyone and completely unlimited on Xbox One and have been since day one. Sony have increased the size cap a few times since launch on PS4 but the fact that there's a cap at all when you also have to pay for them is crazy.

They could do so much better.
Conversely Sony is the only one who let's you backup your saves to a USB drive.

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
If Sony wants to compete with Gamepass they need to fix crap like this. One particularity of GP is that you try so many more games that you end up with many more save files, which I never thought could become a problem until now.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
And I still remember the "upgrade" to 100gb as a PS plus bonus. Don't know what to think about that.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Lol that's a stupid limit, gonna have to check my account so that I don't hit the limit somehow. Fix that shit Sony, come on, this is a paid service and 1000 doesn't sound like a lot tbh considering some games create multiple saves.
Yeah, sounds like a flag in the backend DB. Simply astonishing display of incompetence if true.
If you read the thread before replying you'd see there's a possibility it's a technical limit. It could possibly be worked around but would require some work to do, if it is indeed what some of us think it may be.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
If you read the thread before replying you'd see there's a possibility it's a technical limit. It could possibly be worked around but would require some work to do, if it is indeed what some of us think it may be.
So how does that change what I said?
A pretty weak alternative and you have been able to do that on open platforms since their inception.
Let me tell you about this little current gen console that lacks such a weak alternative that open platforms have had since their inception.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The cloud needs an internet conection (and PS+ sub). Ppl that dont have an internet conection, travel to a place without internet, etc, can use a USB drive to backup the save files. Having more options is always a good thing.
You need to pay for it on playstation, not on xbox.
And you can travel to a place without internet connection just fine - it will upload again when there is internet available again.
I really wonder who backups the save files to USB, to be honest. Out of all the millions of customers.
But in general, you are right - more options is always a good thing.

pksu

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
It's an extremely naive implementation in that case. Not very surprising though considering history of PSN.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
It's an extremely naive implementation in that case. Not very surprising though considering history of PSN.
If you had any idea how many times that happens, you'd be astounded. It's very easy to say it's a naive implementation in hindsight when it's not really the kind of thing a lot of people plan for due to budget, time or any other restriction.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Yikes, Sony is raking in billions and they still haven't managed to fix the numerous issues with PSN.

Come on, Sony.

stizz

Banned
Apr 12, 2019
I am at 53 saved items in online storage and feel uncomfortable. See I have a large really large backlog. It would be higher than it already is and such.

pksu

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
If you had any idea how many times that happens, you'd be astounded. It's very easy to say it's a naive implementation in hindsight when it's not really the kind of thing a lot of people plan for due to budget, time or any other restriction.
Sure, it's probably some legacy decision that made sense ten years ago with old infrastructure where John booted up more servers as new users signed up. But it's still a naive way of implementing platform level storage service for games if you end up hitting FS directory efficiency limitations. Of course there could be other reasons, limit being a technical one just sounds funky.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just hit the limit with Last of Us 2

So dumb. I have 95GB of free space but can't upload any new saves without deleting some old games.

Sony needs to change this

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
What year is it. I hope Sony changes their savegame system and approach altogether on PS5. Free savegame space and no dumb limit of how many saves you can have. Such space is cheap for companies.

KCroxtonJr

Oct 28, 2017
I've been having cloud save issues as well, when I check my notifications it's spammed with "cannot upload data" entries. Have not been able to fix it.

I guess I need to see if I'm also hitting this 1000 limit cause I checked the data and am no where near 100GB

Deleted member 35631

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Why would anyone have more than 1,000 files? Isn't the cloud just for game save files? I think you'd need to save on a different save file every time you go through a checkpoint to reach that many.

Or maybe it's very unlikely for someone to have 1,000 games?

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Why would anyone have more than 1,000 files? Isn't the cloud just for game save files? I think you'd need to save on a different save file every time you go through a checkpoint to reach that many.

Again, it's not save files in game terms, it's 1,000 files period. A game with an autosave, a manual save and a settings/profile file is already three files from one game. There are many games in which it's possible to accrue 10+ unique files saved.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I believe this is on Sony to fix, because their service has one limitation talking about how they promote it and thats every consumer gets 100GB. This is obviously not the case with this extra limit and every day Sony doesn't fix it I am more incline to believe Sony did this on purpose to save on space. And if that's the case they need to be called out on that.

severianb

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
I agree with the sentiment of them needing to make things better, but I prefer the cloud save backup approach for Sony and Nintendo compared to Microsoft and Steam's approach where that save in the cloud is the only version of it out there. I want redundancy in case games bug out and erase saves/progress so I don't lose all of the progress I had and that borked save gets uploaded to the cloud immediately to ruin everything.
You can't save game files locally on steam and Xbox?

The Xbox *does* save games locally and also a copy in the cloud. You don't have to worry about one overwriting the other, because if they are not the same, (say they get out of sync because of corruption or a console being used offline) it asks you which one you want to use, the cloud or local save.

I've been using Xbox cloud saves since they first had them on the Xbox 360, so about 10 years. In all that time, I've had *one* corrupt local game file that I was able to restore instantly from the good cloud version.

It's simple. It works. I don't have to think about it.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
It's simple. It works. I don't have to think about it.
Describes the xbox savegame solution perfectly. It just works, is free and you basically have unlimited space, since every game has their own storage space in the cloud and the more games you have the more space you have. It's amazing really.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Conversely Sony is the only one who let's you backup your saves to a USB drive.

Which thank god they do. I love modding sAves on older games. Shit, I was messing around playing as Red XIII in VII:Remake due to being able to. Although it does kind of break the game lol. But still, Sony is the only console with USB save backup and I hope PS5 keeps it.

Nesther

Oct 27, 2017
Switzerland
Again, it's not save files in game terms, it's 1,000 files period. A game with an autosave, a manual save and a settings/profile file is already three files from one game. There are many games in which it's possible to accrue 10+ unique files saved.

Yeah. I just reached the limit and went through my cloud storage to clean up:

Days Gone generated 174 autosave files. Death Stranding 50. It's silly that I have to waste my time manually deleting stuff because of Sonys limitations, and it's kinda funny that first party titles are my main cause for reaching the cap.

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. I just reached the limit and went through my cloud storage to clean up:

Days Gone generated 174 autosave files. Death Stranding 50. It's silly that I have to waste my time manually deleting stuff because of Sonys limitations, and it's kinda funny that first party titles are my main cause for reaching the cap.

Yes exactly this, I was just going to create a post about this issue before coming across this thread.

Having played through Death Stranding recently it's generated a huge number of auto saves, and while the game itself tidies up its local saves as you go along (ie. it deletes older local saves automatically once it has created a certain number of save files) the same logic doesn't exist for process which automatically uploads saves to the cloud - that simply uploads whatever saves are new or changed since it last ran.

For a service boasting 100GB of storage for your saves you really shouldn't be required to micromanage them to stop you going over some "hidden" file limit, they really need to address this. In my case I still have 92GB of storage available so I'm not even at the original 10GB limit. At the very least they need to provide some better save management tools that allow you to find games which may have generated a disproportionately large number of save files so you can delete them.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Remember how much more Steam does for free. I still find it utterly baffling just how bad the underlying PSN infrastructure is.

Phokal

Oct 25, 2017
WI
I just hit this error on my ps5 (which separates ps4 and ps5 saves, but apparently still has this limitation on the ps4 side). Never knew about it and googling the error code hit nothing so I'm glad this thread exists. I'm really, really worried their solution is "ps5 games have a new, unknown cap and we don't want you to play old ps4 stuff." How could they not at least double this (let alone just make it per title like other services).

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
I was managing my saves last night because of the limited space on the ps5. I'll probably just back mist of them up on the thumb drive and delete them. Most of the games I'll probably never play again.

PSN really strange As always.

Describes the xbox savegame solution perfectly. It just works, is free and you basically have unlimited space, since every game has their own storage space in the cloud and the more games you have the more space you have. It's amazing really.

Its great but the Downside is you have no access to the save files. Not an issue now but as someone who has every retro console imaginable, I feel like that might be an issue years from now.