• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

patapon

Banned
Dec 7, 2017

Higher revenue than Microsoft's whole gaming division

It's absolutely insane just how big PSN has become for Sony and I can't wait to see Sony investing more into it.

Edit:

So for the calendar year 2018 (using the current conversion rates), MS gaming division made 11.5 billions, Nintendo made around 10 billions, Playstation made 20.72 billions. Almost the same as both combined.

Last edited:

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Higher revenue than Microsoft's whole gaming division

It's absolutely insane just how big PSN has become for Sony and I can't wait to see Sony investing more into it.

patapon You should put Kolx post in your OP:
So for the calendar year 2018 (using the current conversion rates), MS gaming division made 11.5 billions, Nintendo made around 10 billions, Playstation made 20.72 billions. Almost the same as both combined.
Crazy how big PSN has become!

KOHIPEET

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, they1re probably working really hard to enhance it in every aspect and can't wait to see what they come up with.

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If there was ever an incentive for PS5 to be backwards compatible, there it is.

Oct 25, 2017
PS Plus is a massive profit generator as people buy it to play online and do not redeem the monthly games (the part that actually costs Sony money).

Paid online is never going away, which makes me sad as hell.

Carpathia

Oct 25, 2017
That's crazy, can't imagine how this will be in 5 years. Little steps to the digital only future I guess.

Dynedom

Nov 1, 2017
Remember when people thought Sony would be in last place / exiting the console business after this gen?

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
PS Plus is a massive profit generator as people buy it to play online and do not redeem the monthly games (the part that actually costs Sony money).

Are we sure about how PS+ works for publishers ?
They are paid according to the numbers of people who claim the games each month ?
Or they are paid with a contract and a fixed sum of money ?

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
The bigger story:
"So for the calendar year 2018 (using the current conversion rates), MS gaming division made 11.5 billions, Nintendo made around 10 billions, Playstation made 20.72 billions. Almost the same as both combined."

Damn, PlayStation is almost as big as Nintendo and Xbox combined
Is Playstation still the only profitable sector of Sony? If so, they're really pulling their weight.
Nope. That really hasn't been a thing for as long as this gen has been going which is now in its 6th year, I really dunno why people keep repeating that, yeah PS is super important but it's not the only division making $ https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/pdf/18q3_sonypre.pdf

Last edited:

wapplew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Revenue not profit.
Do we have any profit numbers of them? I guess Nintendo profit will be higher since over 80% of their revenue is first party mean they get 100% from that.
Sony only get 30% cut from that PSN revenue.

Oct 27, 2017
The World
Per their financial release, in Q3 FY18, total Game/Network revenue was 791 billion Yen, our of which 434 billion Yen was PSN then.

That means 54% of their gaming revenue last quarter was from PSN which is all digital.

I hope people are no longer discounting how big digital has become when it comes to something as simple as game sales. It's just going to keep increasing too.

Cian

One Winged Slayer
Feb 17, 2018
Is Playstation still the only profitable sector of Sony? If so, they're really pulling their weight.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
its crazy to think SIE's revenue is almost matching MS game division and nintendo combined.
of course not, sony is very profitable in most of their categories, sony music generates a lot of money right now for example.

Oct 27, 2017
The World
Revenue not profit.
Do we have any profit numbers of them? I guess Nintendo profit will be higher since over 80% of their revenue is first party mean they get 100% from that.
Sony only get 30% cut from that PSN revenue.

No, this includes game sales, PSN subscription, any other digital revenue from PSN. Their overall game/network division made a profit of 73 billion yen on 791 billion revenue.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
And people still think they'll be dumb enough to not have PS4 BC? It'd be leaving billions on the table at this point.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Every time there is a physical v digital thread I roll up extolling the virtues of disc based games(old man shouting at cloud etc)............and then I realise how much money I've spent this gen on indies,dlc's and PS+ subs and understand why Playstation is making this much money,lol.

weebro

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Gif.gif

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Not too surprised, of all people I know I am the one only still bothering with physical boxes.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
PS4 install base is bigger than Xbox Ones + Switch combined and both of them are next to irrelevant in many smaller markets.
Impressive yet but not surprising since we know how this gen has been playing out for a while.

Will be interesting to see if and how things change next-generation.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
Meanwhile I STILL have credit card payments being denied for no reason at all.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of the subscription model, and the ease of downloading games, it just seems like Sony doesn't want my money half of the time.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
They have what 40 million on PS Plus? So at $60 a year that's already 2.4 billion. Bonkers.

You can bet Nintendo see this and are already thinking of upping prices and pushing their service way more. Damn free online multilayer is well and truly dead

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Any day now online services are going to become free again.

Can somebody tell me again how install base doesn't matter anymore and it's all about the MAU now?

This shows that Microsoft is right, it is MAU that matter. Sony just has a way better MAU.
Which makes sense when they have more than double the install base.

Nov 8, 2017

Paid online is never going away, which makes me sad as hell.
It baffles me that so many people don't redeem any of the games. I literally redeem everything because you never know if something might turn out interesting, and it takes about two minutes each month.

For example, I got a local four player game of Alienation going last year with some friends, and everyone was like "We deffo need to buy this when we get home!", and I was like "you should have it on PS+", but apparently none of them had bothered to redeem it when it was available, so they ended up throwing away £16 each on a game they could've already had.

That said, I'm probably in the minority of people who bought into PS+ mainly for the monthly games.

Cian

One Winged Slayer
Feb 17, 2018
Status
Not open for further replies.