• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
So I tried to rent a movie tonight and when I was prompted to input my password it displayed some strange characters. Normally it just shows the hidden password like:

If this was my normal password: resetera1234
It would display like this: ************

Now it's displaying some strange characters I've never seen on PSN. I contacted Sony support and they said it has affected some people but not all and that they were working on it. The agent thanked me for contacting them so that now they have my system information and it would be easier for them to fix.

Has anybody else noticed this? I thought maybe it had something to do with the latest update but It doesn't seem like that is the case.

anyway, just seeing if I'm being overly paranoid or not.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Any pics? Also I'd appreciate it if you didn't use my Resetera password as an example.

OP
OP
angelgrievous

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Here is a pic:

CL0tWLt.jpg

G_O

Oct 28, 2017
Putting their final touches on name changes. Just a bug, nothing to worry about

user__

Oct 25, 2017
It seems to me that this is just an encoding problem. This is just a theory, but it could be that they just used a new graphical symbol to show in the password box, but the character set on PS4 doesn't support it.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
It seems to me that this is just an encoding problem. This is just a theory, but it could be that they just used a new graphical symbol to show in the password box, but the character set on PS4 doesn't support it.

Yeah, an encoding problem along these lines would be my guess as well. If that's true, OP, it's probably just showing • for each instance of the symbol it doesn't know how to display?

Like how you see "[?]" if someone types an emoji your phone OS doesn't support yet, if that helps explain it to people.

As long as you can log in fine and text is otherwise displaying fine in the PS4's menus, I wouldn't be worried. It's weird but probably harmless.

OP
OP
angelgrievous

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
It's still happening but I went ahead and bought a game and it seems as if everything went through okay. It's an odd thing to happen but as some have said, it's probably just a bug.

Agent X

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey

They're using three different characters in a repeating pattern. I wonder if this is something new they're doing, in order to make it easier for the user to count how many characters have been entered into the password field.

user__

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, there's no real correlation between the spots and the real password, only the number of characters. Rather than shooting the password blindly without feedback, this method helps you to see at least if you are pressing a key too much.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Ok reconfirming the bug, i made a thread first without lookin if one was created here. Posting back to see if anyone found a solution about this problem.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Ok reconfirming the bug, i made a thread first without lookin if one was created here. Posting back to see if anyone found a solution about this problem.
It's just a character encoding issue on the store frontend. There's nothing you can do about it until they submit a bugfix for it and deploy the code to users. I wouldn't worry about it since it just affects the frontend.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
All this time I thought it was because I was using the touchpad.

I rarely use it to type, so I didn't think anything was strange.