• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Switch's guru mx4w (he already got N64 full speed and did most of Switch's Retroarch port, among others) has done it again and he has released the JIT recompiler for the PPSSPP Switch version which makes most games fully playable with enhanced resolution and other features, like MGS PW working at 30fps instead of the original 20 thanks to a patch.

https://mobile.twitter.com/m4xwdev/status/1117752889328525312

The thing works so well that it's even possible to run games fullspeed with a downclocked Switch (this is done to save battery). The biggest problem is that both GoW games don't run too well since they require a much more powerful machine than anything else on PSP's library. This happens with the PC version of the emulator as well, it's not Switch's fault.

So if you want to play P3P and Ridge Racer on Switch now you can.

Now on the emulation side of things only NDS and Dreamcast need to be attempted, every other expected system is already covered.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Technically DS should be easy enough once that Android port is a thing. Drastic is a fantastic DS emulator that already runs almost every game fullspeed regardless of the phone.

OP
OP
Atolm

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
How about full speed Sega Saturn?

That's probably not happening. It would take a lot of work and dedication. Many games would run well probably, but many others wouldn't. With a overclocked CPU it would be possible though, there are boards similar to the RPI far less powerful than the Switch that can do Saturn.

Personally I'm expecting Saturn, and Dolphin/PCSX2 if they hack the Switch Pro. Some Dolphin games (the less demanding ones) run close to full speed already.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Dissidia Duodecim on a bigger portable screen a reality?

images

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
Saturn was the unloved console of the day. Everyone wants one now, but so many people just didn't care when it was in its heyday. :(
Hey, I'm guilty too. In the worst possible way. Because when my brother and I argued how to choose our next console after the Sega Mega Drive, I wanted a playstation, and he wanted a Saturn. He got the Saturn, I got the playstation. But since the Saturn was his, he sold it a few years later with many really awesome games. In my eyes better games than what I had for the playstation. But, both of us re-bought a Saturn many years later as adults. It is more difficult to find the same games for cheap now though (although I found many great japanese saturn games in Tokyo in 2013).

That's probably not happening. It would take a lot of work and dedication. Many games would run we'll probably, but many others wouldn't.

Personally I'm expecting Saturn, and Dolphin/PCSX2 if they hack the Switch Pro, if it releases.
I'm on a life long quest to play Sega Saturn portable. I have a hacked Vita, and how I would wish that instead of playing Playstation games perfectly, it would be Saturn games.

edit: I have Panzer Dragoon Saga, Shining Force III and Grandia 1 in japanese, that I will some day play in english on a portable, or that is my dream at least.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
Still want SE to port Tactics Ogre, FFT and Vagrant Story to the Switch but if they never do, there'll always be this option I guess.

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
While we are talking about switch homebrew, the new update patched the software exploit that the devs was holding, so they gonna release it soon.
It will works even on patched console.
Systems with 3.0 is easy to hack
4.1 to 6.2 need some works.
7.0 is..i think it needed extra work because it patched something important, but not the whole exploit.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Saturn was the unloved console of the day. Everyone wants one now, but so many people just didn't care when it was in its heyday. :(

This still feels so weird to me. I still remember playing stuff like Panzer Dragoon Saga and Fighter's Megamix and thinking "why doesn't anyone seem to give a damn about these incredible games?".

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully it works on the Switch mini, it will then be almost as good as an actual PSP!
the problem now, the switch pro and mini will probably comes with high FW that you can't hack it, even with the new software hack that will soon be released.

i am sure hackers have another unannounced entry point.

Palantiri

Oct 25, 2017
I have never played around with PPSSPP. Is it possible to download and install the 5th act of Killzone Liberation? It doesnt work on the PSV fuel to the way they decided to emulate the PSP OS. I'd love to be able to revisit the game, but dont want to buy a PSP for the opportunity.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Starting to side eye my PSP that makes the painful sounds of a thousand souls being scratched by razor blades when it tries to load UMDs.

It WOULD be nice to replay Crisis Core, Valkyrie Profile, and P3P again....

KnightimeX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do you have to jail break, mod the switch to get this to work?
Will a firmware update brick anything?

How extensive is procedure?

Deleted member 54469

User requested account closure
Mar 4, 2019
it's kinda sad that all these years later we're all so desperate just to play PSP. the fact vita bombed so hard kinda pisses me off just because i know sony is giving up on handhelds now and they're never going to make psp games anymore backwards compatible past ps3/vita

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
Grandia is getting ported to Switch, along witht he sequel.
I know, I will buy it. But there are so many other Saturn games I want to replay, but would never have time to do it if I couldn't play it on a portable.

Anyway, I love the psp, but I still got my Vita so I will not be hacking my Switch any time soon.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Starting to side eye my PSP that makes the painful sounds of a thousand souls being scratched by razor blades when it tries to load UMDs.

It's very easy to install CFW on a PSP and dump your games, and with adaptors you can use cheap 8/16gb microSD and hold a lot of your library without having to hear the UMD noise ever again :D

cucholix

Oct 30, 2017
Was playing Monster Hunter Frontier at 3x PSP resolution and the image quality and speed is impressive

OP
OP
Atolm

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017

People using UMDs in 2019? What madness is this?

So God of War Chains of Olympus and Midnight Club 3 work at full speed?

God of War, as I said, nope. It has way higher requeriments, both games. According to mx4w it would be possible doing OC to the Switch.

I have never played around with PPSSPP. Is it possible to download and install the 5th act of Killzone Liberation? It doesnt work on the PSV fuel to the way they decided to emulate the PSP OS. I'd love to be able to revisit the game, but dont want to buy a PSP for the opportunity.

I haven't tried it personally but PPSSPP supports DLC so it may be possible.

Do you have to jail break, mod the switch to get this to work?
Will a firmware update brick anything?

How extensive is procedure?

Yes, you need a hacked Switch. It's a very simple process now just check if yours is compatible (basically all units made up to June 2018, but there are rumors that another hack for current units is coming).

Firmware is another stuff entirely. If you hack your Switch you'll have to renounce to Nintendo's online services because they insta-ban the units.

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia

Well if you're going to go down the homebrew route, it'd be far easier (and safer for your online account) just to install custom firmware on your PSP and rip your UMDs to an SD card (with MS duo adaptor). Alternatively if you have a PS3 you could repurchase those games on PSN and play them off the SD card without any modification at all.

Of course you won't get any enhancements with those methods.