• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Any updates? Is it really ending July 2nd? Can we not buy on PS3/Vita/web store?
Literally no one knows.
Conflicting messages. Deliberate ambiguity from Sony.

Best case:
Physical PSP devices will lose the ability to access the PSN but will still be able to download/purchase/transfer from the PS3. Vita will still be able to download/purchase/play them.

Worst case:
All PSP content is pulled, mercilessly.

The additional confusion comes from the fact that some publishers have indicated their content is staying. So we're in the clear? But do you want to take that risk?

We also don't even know how that would affect minis, which run on PS3, Vita and PSP.

Last edited:

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing indicating that Sony would start pulling PSP games is that some people are staring blindly at the word "commerce" and misinterpreting it for no reason whatsoever.

Sony's plan was to shut down 3 storefronts and they backtracked on 2. They were never talking about pulling games, it was about shutting down storefronts. PSP games will be purchasable on PS3 and Vita after July 2nd.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why Sony didn't do a « last round of psp sales » sale. I would have grabbed a few games (especially minis)

Otakukidd

The cutest v-tuber
Oct 25, 2017
Literally no one knows.

Best case:
Physical PSP devices will lose the ability to access the PSN but will still be able to download/purchase/transfer from the PS3. Vita will still be able to download/purchase/play them.

Worst case:

The additional confusion comes from the fact that some publishers have indicated conflicting answers which POSSIBLY could mean that only SOME regions are losing PSP access on PS3/Vita.

We also don't even know how that would affect minis, which run on PS3, Vita and PSP.
What publishers are saying that we will loose access on the PS3/vita? I know atlus says we won't

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
The additional confusion comes from the fact that some publishers have indicated conflicting answers which POSSIBLY could mean that only SOME regions are losing PSP access on PS3/Vita.
Which publishers say PSP games will disappear? Atlus and Level-5 Japan have explicitly said that they will remain but I haven't heard any publishers say the opposite.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Literally no one knows.

Best case:

Worst case:

Confusion comes with propping up information that completely misinterprets Sony's statement.

SpaceBridge

Oct 31, 2017
What about games you've purchased on Vita? Are those still redownable?

Man of the things I liked about Sony was access to their legacy library. If psp (and psx) get pulled from Vita that sucks a lot.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
What the? Didn't they say the backtracked on such decision?
They only backtracked the closure of PS Vita, PS3 stores, I believed. This is for the PSP.

The PSP store will not receive a similar reprieve, as Ryan specified it will be shut down on July 2 as previously announced.

www.gamesindustry.biz

Sony backtracks on shutting down PS3, Vita digital stores

Sony has decided to keep the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita digital storefronts up and running after the company's …

Kemal86

Oct 25, 2017
grabbed the Loco Roco Carnival game just in case. Looks like Wipeout Pure was delisted when browsing the Vita store. I don't have an actual PSP or PS3 anymore to check if it's available there.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Why we just learning this now? Everyone said it wouldn't effect the Vita store. Now it is? Now I gotta download my PSP games before it's a right pain in the ass.

Any PSP games I can't downlaod onto my PS3 and have to get them view the VITA?

Otakukidd

The cutest v-tuber
Oct 25, 2017
Why we just learning this now? Everyone said it wouldn't effect the Vita store. Now it is? Now I gotta download my PSP games before it's a right pain in the ass.

Nothing has changed. This is the same info from last month. Just some people decided to take what they said as they are removing all psp games from all stores vs no longer allowing you to buy games on the psp store.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017

It is fake news. That's why you haven't heard it until now. Nothing indicates that PSP games will stop being sold on PS3 and Vita while the official word of multiple publishers indicate that the PSP games will remain.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
We'll know by July 2nd what's true and what's not. Tried to buy a few games off PSN on my Vita, and Everytime I had to input my password, to complete the transaction, I got kicked out and went right back to the password screen.

Maybe I'll try sometime early in the morning tomorrow.

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
I just bought Monster Hunter Freedom Unite just because I want to use dual sticks on that game.

OldMuffin

Nov 1, 2017
so does anyone else have issues trying to purchase stuff On vita?
Like I have password required for it, but every time I put my password it just refreshes the page?

mausterhunter

Feb 1, 2019
We'll know by July 2nd what's true and what's not. Tried to buy a few games off PSN on my Vita, and Everytime I had to input my password, to complete the transaction, I got kicked out and went right back to the password screen.

Maybe I'll try sometime early in the morning tomorrow.
so does anyone else have issues trying to purchase stuff On vita?
Like I have password required for it, but every time I put my password it just refreshes the page?

It's busted for some reason, but you can get around it easily by momentarily deactivating the password confirmation setting for your purchase.

Oct 25, 2017
Here's your daily reminder that Wild Arms XF is one of the best SRPGs of all time and it's a PSP exclusive that also costs next to nothing to buy (I think it's $10 USD on the PSN).

Just bought it. Anything else for PSP/Vita I should get before it gone?

Persona_2_Innocent_Sin_US_Cover_Art.jpg

Get it before it's possibly gone. Eternal Punishment is available on PSN as a PS1 Classic, playable on PSP, Vita, or PS3. Persona 1 is available on PSP too, but I get why people bounce off of that one. I still personally recommend it though.
I see there are two separated of versions : 441 for PS One and PSP version for 906 MB. What's the catch?

Buy crimson gem saga it's a great rpg.

Ah, I remember that game when I had my PSP hacked a decade ago. Loved it and would replay it again, but It's not showing up on store anymore. :(

Last edited:

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
grabbed the Loco Roco Carnival game just in case. Looks like Wipeout Pure was delisted when browsing the Vita store. I don't have an actual PSP or PS3 anymore to check if it's available there.

Yeah I noticed Pure was missing when I was in the Vita store yesterday as well. BUT I just checked the PS3 store and it is available for purchase there.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I see there are two separated of versions : 441 for PS One and PSP version for 906 MB. What's the catch?
Of Eternal Punishment, Innocent Sin, or both?

Innocent Sin's only localized version is the PSP version.

Eternal Punishment's only localized version is the PS1 version. I *think* buying it on the same account should make it playable on both PS3 and PSP/Vita. The actual PSP port/remake was never released outside of Japan and was not localized.

Oct 25, 2017
Of Eternal Punishment, Innocent Sin, or both?

Innocent Sin's only localized version is the PSP version.

Eternal Punishment's only localized version is the PS1 version. I *think* buying it on the same account should make it playable on both PS3 and PSP/Vita. The actual PSP port/remake was never released outside of Japan and was not localized.

I read in the wiki that EP was a direct sequel to IS. Just like what they did to Person 4 Golden, right?

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I read in the wiki that EP was a direct sequel to IS. Just like what they did to Person 4 Golden, right?
Oh no no, not at all. EP is a SEQUEL to IS. Persona 2 is a duology. It's pretty important to play Innocent Sin first, to understand the story for what happens in Eternal Punishment. They're entirely different games. This isn't like Persona 4 vs Golden or anything like that.

Originally, the PS1 version of Innocent Sin was not released in the west, so I imagine a lot of people were probably confused when they played Eternal Punishment.

SemRockwel

Oct 27, 2017
Oh no no, not at all. EP is a SEQUEL to IS. Persona 2 is a duology. It's pretty important to play Innocent Sin first, to understand the story for what happens in Eternal Punishment. They're entirely different games. This isn't like Persona 4 vs Golden or anything like that.

Originally, the PS1 version of Innocent Sin was not released in the west, so I imagine a lot of people were probably confused when they played Eternal Punishment.

Playing Eternal Punishment first isn't a bad choice imo. Playing EP first makes the plot come off like a mystery story, which make the plot twists hit harder. Then you can play Innocent Sin after like a prequel. Playing Innocent Sin first is good too ofc.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Playing Eternal Punishment first isn't a bad choice imo. Playing EP first makes the plot come off like a mystery story, which make the plot twists hit harder. Then you can play Innocent Sin after like a prequel. Playing Innocent Sin first is good too ofc.
I disagree. EP makes direct callbacks to things in Innocent Sin that you're supposed to remember. You're supposed to know why it's such a problem that Tatsuya is there, etc.

SemRockwel

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree. EP makes direct callbacks to things in Innocent Sin that you're supposed to remember. You're supposed to know why it's such a problem that Tatsuya is there, etc.

I'm just speaking from my own experience. As a teen I loved trying to pick apart the story and figure out what was going on.
If you play EP first you basically are in the same mental place as the protagonist.

But yeah, there are many references that you wouldn't get if you didn't play Innocent Sin first. So I would just say if for whatever reason you end up playing EP first it isn't that bad (like if you didn't have a psp or vita atm). Like, I don't mind if people play Innocent Sin first, I just think people should play any persona 2 however which way they can lol.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Sony's crazy for not giving a shit about bringing the PSP library forward to new platforms. I never really even got into the Vita, but I love the PlayStation TV, because it allows me to play PSP games on my TV. PSP was such an awesome platform for compilations, and it's got some great exclusive gems that really deserve to be re-released or at least live on through backwards compatibility.

To anyone who's gonna buy any of these games due to the risk of them disappearing, I highly recommend picking up Jeanne d'Arc if you're into turn-based strategy games.

Oct 25, 2017
Sony's crazy for not giving a shit about bringing the PSP library forward to new platforms. I never really even got into the Vita, but I love the PlayStation TV, because it allows me to play PSP games on my TV. PSP was such an awesome platform for compilations, and it's got some great exclusive gems that really deserve to be re-released or at least live on through backwards compatibility.

To anyone who's gonna buy any of these games due to the risk of them disappearing, I highly recommend picking up Jeanne d'Arc if you're into turn-based strategy games.

100% agreed.

And I have a copy of Jeanne d'Arc, but I sold my PSP to someone else long time ago. :S

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
can i just go on a ps3 and buy stuff and let them sit there?

Yes, with the caveat that not all of the PSP games available on PSN are easy to find on PS3. For example, I had to search explicitly for I Am an Airport Hero Traffic Control Tokyo whatever the hell it's called, as it didn't show up in the standard list of all games when I filtered on PSP as a platform on the PS3. So if there's something you know is on PSN but you can't find it on PS3, try searching for it explicitly by name.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Yes, with the caveat that not all of the PSP games available on PSN are easy to find on PS3. For example, I had to search explicitly for I Am an Airport Hero Traffic Control Tokyo whatever the hell it's called, as it didn't show up in the standard list of all games when I filtered on PSP as a platform on the PS3. So if there's something you know is on PSN but you can't find it on PS3, try searching for it explicitly by name.
thanks. i might try to get that one. also want patchwork heroes, and maybe the crimson room game. jsut weird to have the crimson room on a console but kinda waste of 8$ idk.

oh wasnt there some weird ass loco roco game?

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017

It sucks that the old webstore is gone. Even that Firefox add-on plugin won't work anymore. Doubly so since not all PSP games and their DLC, if any, show on Vita store. 😫😢

It's busted for some reason, but you can get around it easily by momentarily deactivating the password confirmation setting for your purchase.

Alrighty I'll be paying the webstore a visit to adjust my settings then.

Oct 25, 2017
For anyone are currently running on PS3. Is Crimson Gem Saga still in the list of PSN store? Cuz I just can't seem to find it anywhere through the PSN store. :<

Oct 25, 2017
i-Jest OldMuffin

You still can get the password from the Device Setup via Transaction Management>>>Security on the website and link it with Vita. Also, don't forget to disable a sign-in the checkmark box before you purchasing anything.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I recommend getting persona 3. It's legit the most expensive psp physical game and I'm tempted to sell it at its current price. Lol

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Wow too me forever to logon. Two factor weirdness. And my store ui is now in Japanese but grabbing a few things. Not sure I need the locoroco digital strategy guide but oh well

HorseFD

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne
Well this sucks. It really can't cost that much money for Sony to just keep them available, but they really don't care about preserving video game history at all.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I was curious about this buti found it easily with search once I figured you could input a space

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some lovely individual with enough time should start one of those recommendation threads for stuff that can't be missed. I have no idea where to begin.

I'm know knowledgeable about all genres to make a recommendation for all games on the Vita but here are a few I would recommend getting:

• Final Fantasy series - the PSP has some of the best ports of classic Final Fantasy games of all time and now that Square Enix is putting the current ports to rest, the PSVita might be the best place to play them for the foreseeable future.
  • Ridge Racer - The PSP Ridge Racer games are some of the best in the franchise, while the series took a sharp decline with the Vita version, which I really don't recommend, the PSP ones still hold up rather well.
  • wipEout Pure/Pulse - nowadays you can play most of their content on the wipEout HD version for PS4 but they still hold up rather well, the Vita wipEout is rather good as well though it is unfortunately 30fps
  • Popolocrois - one of the most charming jRPGs I've ever played. Great artstyle and cute story that reminded me of childhood adventure movies I watched growing up.
  • Echochrome - a very neat perspective puzzle game. I've seen many similar takes on this over the years but Echochrome remains as a favorite
  • Monster Hunter - you like Monster Hunter? The PSP has a ton of Monster Hunter
  • Wild Arms XF - I know someone in this forum would be upset if I didn't recommend this one. One of the best exclusive jRPGs on the PSP. Great sprites, novel setting (for a jRPG) and overall a good time.
  • Jeanne D'arc - not sure if this is one of those that never made it onto the PSN store but if it's available in your region get it
  • Final Fantasy Tactics - War of the Lions - one of the best sRPGs of all time. Not having in this in your connection would be criminal.
  • Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together - the predecessor to Final Fantasy Tactics. I don't need to say more.
These are a few recommendations I could think of off the top of my head. Others did come to mind like Crisis Core and Birth by Sleep but those were never made available on the PSN Store so those will have to do.

Note: this list is not comprehensive and I will probably edit further if I remember more titles, it's just meant to serve as a good baseline of titles I look back upon fondly for the system.

Last edited:

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
So... finally confirmation that the PSP store on PS3 & Vita won't be closing:

Important notice

Find out which features are no longer available on your PlayStation console.

What does this mean for you?
When the PlayStation®Store for PlayStation®Portable (PSP) was previously closed in 2016, you were still able to perform searches and make in-game purchases. Starting 6th July, 2021, you'll no longer be able to perform searches or make in-game purchases.

What about PSP content that you already own?
You'll still be able to download your previously purchased PSP content. You can download your previously purchased PSP content onto your PSP by accessing the Download List on the device.

What about PSP content that is available for purchase on the PS3 and PS Vita stores?
You'll still be able to purchase and play PSP content that is available on the PS3 and PS Vita stores. However, you'll no longer be able to make purchases via the in-game store for PSP content.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
So... finally confirmation that the PSP store on PS3 & Vita won't be closing:

Important notice

Find out which features are no longer available on your PlayStation console.

What does this mean for you?
When the PlayStation®Store for PlayStation®Portable (PSP) was previously closed in 2016, you were still able to perform searches and make in-game purchases. Starting 6th July, 2021, you'll no longer be able to perform searches or make in-game purchases.

What about PSP content that you already own?
You'll still be able to download your previously purchased PSP content. You can download your previously purchased PSP content onto your PSP by accessing the Download List on the device.

What about PSP content that is available for purchase on the PS3 and PS Vita stores?
You'll still be able to purchase and play PSP content that is available on the PS3 and PS Vita stores. However, you'll no longer be able to make purchases via the in-game store for PSP content.
Fantastic news! Great to have official confirmation from them on this!