• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, i get what youre saying but...you dont have that choice? And so when you CAN do it in a game, it breaks my immersion and shows me that its just that; a game. In games like re7 and here they lie, even in the less strong graphically strong sequences, i find myself getting lost in the world, seeing the lines between reality and game blurring. That never happens with teleport movement for me.

I see what youre saying with the vive and that DOES sound a lot better. I havent tried it out yet and should but yeah, for psvr and occulus, i would not choose teleporting over analog sticks.

I honestly havent played that many teleport style games because, aside from arkham vr, when i hear thats the only method of movement, i dont buy em.

Ive seen the examples and i still would not personally choose that but youre making a good case for those who would at least. I also concede that universally, analog is NOT better. I just prefer it in almost every case but yeah, thats me, not the universe.
Funnily enough I tend not to use the analog sticks all that much even in something like Mage's Tale which has every movement option, I like to move to a spot and then dodge around in my room.

For me using the analog sticks takes me out of it and I often forget I have the option. My favourite game is actually entirely static (Dead & Buried) but it's also the most active as you hide behind cover, crouching or turning up against a post and not having to worry about artificial locomotion of any kind really just lets me focus on what I'm doing.

Mage's Tale has it best IMO you can have normal locomotion and smooth locomotion on the left stick or teleport on the right to get around quicker (you are a Mage after all). I'm not against movement on the analog stick like traditional games I just think the smooth variety looks ridiculous and has the added issue of making a lot of people feel ill.

For games trying to be realistic then sure teleportation doesn't make sense but I don't think I've played one yet to see.

Lakuza

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Funnily enough I tend not to use the analog sticks all that much even in something like Mage's Tale which has every movement option, I like to move to a spot and then dodge around in my room.

For me using the analog sticks takes me out of it and I often forget I have the option. My favourite game is actually entirely static (Dead & Buried) but it's also the most active as you hide behind cover, crouching or turning up against a post and not having to worry about artificial locomotion of any kind really just lets me focus on what I'm doing.

Mage's Tale has it best IMO you can have normal locomotion and smooth locomotion on the left stick or teleport on the right to get around quicker (you are a Mage after all). I'm not against movement on the analog stick like traditional games I just think the smooth variety looks ridiculous and has the added issue of making a lot of people feel ill.

For games trying to be realistic then sure teleportation doesn't make sense but I don't think I've played one yet to see.
I find it interesting you played Mages tale by choice with teleport as the main traversal option. I personally used the dash steps first before moving to full locomotion and never looked back to the options. I don't understand how smooth locomotion looks ridiculous, especially when you can dodge whilst moving around in locomotion too (its not like you have to stand still whilst moving around). I actually found teleporting and having to pick the spot you want to jump to more awkward than walking backwards spellcasting when fighting against the larger enemies in that game and even against normal melee enemies (although physically dodging is always best against archers).

Teleportation is really awkward for exploration in general too, since you have to slideshow your way across the environment when you can just walk around the hallways with full locomotion. I don't think a game like Pavlov or Onward would be as fun if it was tied to teleportation, even raw data for me is best played with locomotion(with teleport button being used to quick travel across long distances only). From Other Suns that comes out in a few days works great with locomotion (I cant even remember if it has teleportation options since I jumped straight to locomotion controls).

Dead & buried is great as well as super hot for employing a static play space encouraging physical movement.

Gemeanie

Oct 27, 2017
SEA
Didn't Xbox also sell a fuck ton of kinect?
However people want to hate it first gen Kinect was a very successful peripheral. I've had several coworker who went from "videogame is evil" to buying XB360 just to play Just Dance with their kids.

It only tells how dumb Microsoft was that time when it took "only" a silly forced launch bundle with 0 games to to kill Kinect.

Oct 28, 2017
I find it interesting you played Mages tale by choice with teleport as the main traversal option. I personally used the dash steps first before moving to full locomotion and never looked back to the options. I don't understand how smooth locomotion looks ridiculous, especially when you can dodge whilst moving around in locomotion too (its not like you have to stand still whilst moving around). I actually found teleporting and having to pick the spot you want to jump to more awkward than walking backwards spellcasting when fighting against the larger enemies in that game and even against normal melee enemies (although physically dodging is always best against archers).

Teleportation is really awkward for exploration in general too, since you have to slideshow your way across the environment when you can just walk around the hallways with full locomotion. I don't think a game like Pavlov or Onward would be as fun if it was tied to teleportation, even raw data for me is best played with locomotion(with teleport button being used to quick travel across long distances only). From Other Suns that comes out in a few days works great with locomotion (I cant even remember if it has teleportation options since I jumped straight to locomotion controls).

Dead & buried is great as well as super hot for employing a static play space encouraging physical movement.
No I used the standard locomotion mostly with teleport, I tried the smooth locomotion for all of 5mins and turned it back to normal, it just looks silly to me. The standard one works great and looks like you are stepping as opposed to gliding.

Fine with smooth in something like Mission: ISS though.