• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

patapon

Banned
Dec 7, 2017

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018/08/16/celebrating-3-million-ps-vr-systems-sold/

We are excited to reveal today that Sony Interactive Entertainment has officially sold-through more than three million PlayStation VR systems worldwide, along with 21.9 million PS VR games and experiences. We'd like to thank all our fans for the amazing support, and we're thrilled that so many of our gamers have experienced the magic of VR and stepped into the captivating worlds that electrify our senses.

The top ten most-played games on the platform span across diverse genres, from action-RPG to horror to first-person shooter, including:

1. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim VR
  2. PlayStation VR Worlds
  3. Rec Room
  4. Resident Evil 7 biohazard
  5. The Playroom VR
  6. Job Simulator
  7. Until Dawn: Rush of Blood
  8. Batman: Arkham VR
  9. Farpoint
  10. Superhot VR
1534425079-afa59f4f-2be1-4a21-a211-ee70aae9215a.jpeg

Last edited:

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
That's good !

Hopefully there will be more AAA experiences just like with RE7 to expand the technology to the mainstream.

Oct 27, 2017
Oh not too bad, I thought the 3 million announcement would come later than that (if there was any announcement).

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
I have to try this on GT: Sport. Is it a good implementation? GTS is my current go-to game for my friends and they're pretty curious about VR, I may take back my headset from a buddy of mine to try this.

Edit: Yes, can't wait to see how good V2 or next-gen unit is.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are these numbers good? I need to see the comparison sales with the other VR sets

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How does it compare to Oculus and Vive?

Congratz btw!
Quality-wise, it's the least capable of the two (due to the limitations of the PS4 and PS Move hardware), but it's more than capable of compelling VR experiences.

However, it's the most accessible of the bunch (what with it being dirt cheap in comparison to the others).

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
That isn't good.

It's a huge reason why we won't many (if any) full on game experiences on the platform.

There is absolutely no money to be made from such a tiny audience. It's under a quarter of the Wii U audience and developers wouldn't bring software to the platform because they didn't think it would sell.

I would expect the platform to slowly die out with the odd demo-like experience coming for those that have one.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
These sound like fantastic numbers. I thought they were still floundering just over the 1 mill mark. Not a product that interests me, but I'm glad it's performing well enough.

Hopefully with next gen they allocate resources to better games for VR and lower the price of entry to make it more accessible.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
I had a chance to finally try one on early summer at a BestBuy during the big sale...I really liked Moss and the RE7 demo but they where sold out on the Skyrim bundles everywhere around here so I decided to wait...will grab VR soon enough...

3 million is good right...?,enough to make Sony carry this over to the next gen I hope.

Deleted member 9317

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
To put a milestone timeline:

October 13, 2016: PSVR launches.
June 5, 2017: 1 million units sold.
December 7, 2017: 2 million units sold.
August 16, 2018: 3 million units sold.

Roughly more than a million unit sold every year.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
That isn't good.

It's a huge reason why we won't many (if any) full on game experiences on the platform.

There is absolutely no money to be made from such a tiny audience. It's under a quarter of the Wii U audience and developers wouldn't bring software to the platform because they didn't think it would sell.

I would expect the platform to slowly die out with the odd demo-like experience coming for those that have one.
PlayStation VR is here to stay despite your opinion. Sony have investment in AAA games which have yet to be revealed/released.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Nice, though I have no idea if that's considered good or bad

Did they say what they expected to sell in this timeframe?

Sangetsu-II

Oct 26, 2017
To put a milestone timeline:

October 13, 2016: PSVR launches.
June 5, 2017: 1 million units sold.
December 7, 2017: 2 million units sold.
August 16, 2018: 3 million units sold.

Roughly more than a million unit sold every year.

1 million units every 6 months nice, at least the sales don't slow down. And over 21 million software sold is 7 games per user shocking.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
One day they will reach original Kinect numbers!

(25 million is what I remember)

DGS

Nov 2, 2017
Tyrol
I don't use PS VR a lot, but if I do, it's fun.

A bit more support from Sony would be great. That said, I'm really looking forward to Dreams!

Deleted member 9317

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
1 million units every 6 months nice, at least the sales don't slow down. And over 21 million software sold is 7 games per user shocking.

Yeah, the attach rate for software is awesome. Mind you, some major titles also have VR functionality like RE7 and GTS so I'm not sure if they're counting VR only games. They're also counting "experiences", meaning the free apps you may download to experience VR.

Regardless, good numbers. Slow start but has slowly picked up with hundreds of compatible games and cheaper price/discounts.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Woohoo! Looking forward to Firewall. Just played Farpoint the other day and looking down the sights yourself, taking cover yourself, etc is amazing!

I just hope the next version has a way to flip it up so you can quickly see your room. It's hard to use this when you have kids you need to watch. I mainly play after they're asleep.

oliverandm

Nov 13, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark
Not numbers that inspire belief in an upgrade anytime soon. However, it's nice to see it's in the millions, and it is well deserved; Sony took a chance, made an affordable piece of VR hardware, and having tried the Vive, Oculus and PSVR, there's no question that it's the most value for money. The others are really for absolute enthusiasts, while this offers a good experience none the less.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Really good numbers. I'm sure there'll be plenty of poo-pooing in this thread, but I thoroughly enjoy VR and hope to see it continue to thrive as much as it can.

Deleted member 9317

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Seems like good numbers, don't know what they anticipated. I hope it can lay the groundwork for more interest regarding the next generation VR systems, that should blow everybodys minds.