• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Another thread on PSVR2, another thread on the verge of a wireless VR Vs wired VR derail.

It's very obvious why they went with wired and it's very obvious wireless is coming later. Let's leave it at that.

Do we think this is in reference to an announced game or is this something new? Chet bringing the hype

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There were fogging problems, but other than that, the psvr1 was by far the most comfortable headset when using it with glasses

I've done it.
You lose a significant amount of FoV and these headsets don't have enough to begin with. Try to minimize that issue and now you're looking at your glasses possibly rubbing the headset's lenses.
Compatibility with glasses is basically only useful for having guests use the headset

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Another thread on PSVR2, another thread on the verge of a wireless VR Vs wired VR derail.

It's very obvious why they went with wired and it's very obvious wireless is coming later. Let's leave it at that.

Do we think this is in reference to an announced game or is this something new? Chet bringing the hype
I need to know what game is he playing
I imagine they just have some tech demos prepared for GDC.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
I imagine they just have some tech demos prepared for GDC.
So you saying that Astro is there

astro-bot-astro-bot-rescue-mission.gif

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

I'm a huge VR fan and I currently use three headsets on a regular basis, multiple times a week even; all three of them. PSVR 1.1, Quest 2, and Samsung Odyssey HMD+.

VR enthusiasts talking about wired being an issue is not a derail. It's reality.

I do wish to hear more about foveated rendering and so on.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I'm a huge VR fan and I currently use three headsets on a regular basis, multiple times a week even; all three of them. PSVR 1.1, Quest 2, and Samsung Odyssey HMD+.

VR enthusiasts talking about wired being an issue is not a derail. It's reality.

I do wish to hear more about foveated rendering and so on.

I'm not saying it's not worth discussing or not an issue. I'm saying every single PSVR2 news thread turns into a wired Vs wireless debate regardless of the original story. (Now I've even helped derail this one, smh)

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I doubt it's better than Index but I'll be happy if I'm wrong :P
In what sense? There's a bunch of aspects that this headset boasts which are "better" on paper, HDR, higher resolution display, eye tracking, haptic feedback are things that PSVR2 boasts over most of the competition. The main index advantage is going to be in tracking due to all the additional hardware involved as opposed to no setup inside out tracking plus the more expensive full finger tracking on the Index controllers.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
In what sense? There's a bunch of aspects that this headset boasts which are "better" on paper, HDR, higher resolution display, eye tracking, haptic feedback are things that PSVR2 boasts over most of the competition. The main index advantage is going to be in tracking due to all the additional hardware involved as opposed to no setup inside out tracking plus the more expensive full finger tracking on the Index controllers.
"HDR" means nothing without specs - it's an OLED screen, so by "HDR" they could just mean deep blacks. Resolution also isn't guaranteed to be better, PSVR 1 ditched OLED so they could do full RGB sub pixels for a cheap price, where competing headsets with OLED used a sub pixel arrangement "Pentile" that resulted in lower resolution for some color elements (making some games hard to read text if the text was the wrong color). Index also has a higher FOV and higher screen refresh rates than PSVR 2, and best-in-class speakers compared to *no* built-in speakers.

Just saying, you can't judge VR by its specs, especially when some of those specs are already lies/exaggerations (4k, but only 2000x2040 resolution rather than 3840x2160). Index is one of the better headsets because it's just great quality overall - it may not be better than other headsets in terms of individual specs, but it "ticks all the boxes" as a very good set of features, and when one isn't the best it's still "pretty good" and generally better-than-average

And haptic feedback in your face isn't necessarily "better" :)

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
"HDR" means nothing without specs - it's an OLED screen, so by "HDR" they could just mean deep blacks. Resolution also isn't guaranteed to be better, PSVR 1 ditched OLED so they could do full RGB sub pixels for a cheap price, where competing headsets with OLED used a sub pixel arrangement "Pentile" that resulted in lower resolution for some color elements (making some games hard to read text if the text was the wrong color). Index also has a higher FOV and higher screen refresh rates than PSVR 2, and best-in-class speakers compared to *no* built-in speakers.

Just saying, you can't judge VR by its specs, especially when some of those specs are already lies/exaggerations (4k, but only 2000x2040 resolution rather than 3840x2160). Index is one of the better headsets because it's just great quality overall - it may not be better than other headsets in terms of individual specs, but it "ticks all the boxes" as a very good set of features, and when one isn't the best it's still "pretty good" and generally better-than-average

Ha . Funny reply in a thread about a Valve guy saying wow about a PSVR 2 experience.

You're right though, proof is in the pudding

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
That feeling after you return to reality is definitely weird (with PCVR), almost making reality feel hyper real. But I don't know if I'd personally call that a positive thing for VR, it's more like you get used to the digital world with comparatively compromised detail, focus, etc. and the transition back to the real world makes it feel like you're suddenly in a much better version of VR lol. It's also like "holy shit these controls (hands) are so much more advanced!" Hard to explain. Although it could also be that when you try quality VR, it's close enough to amplify that weird feeling because your brain is more easily tricked, so it might add to that uncanny valley feel, and some of your senses might be more confused in the transition back.

I'm not sure that's exactly what he meant, though. Excited regardless, I really hope some quality shit is being cooked up.

Last edited:

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
My biggest wish is they somehow manage to raise the resolution in those old PSVR titles, which were pretty low res even at release.
Just yesterday I was playing around in PSVR (GT Sport is still sublime) and the main detractor is the resolution, which is a shame, because the headset can handle so much better.
I think blood and truth got a significant frame rate and resolution patch for ps5.

So it's doable. Just doesn't seem too common.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Regarding PSVR1 to PSVR2 ports/compatibility, my guess is that the games that will get them are ones that also support Quest/PCVR. Even though it may seem intuitive to port PSVR1 first parties/exclusives, I think they actually have a smaller chance, especially those that don't use motion controls.

One thing I'm not too thrilled about is the possibility that this headset won't get a mid/late gen refresh. Both Apple and Meta's (and Valve's supposed Deckard) upcoming headsets are likely using micro displays (I think Meta's Cambria was going to go with mini displays rather than micro, but read some recent news that they may have upgraded), which will mark a huge jump in form factor and weight reduction. Sony's screens look really good on paper, but they aren't even mini displays. It's gonna feel giant in comparison in just a few years. Not to mention Sony is also still using fresnel lenses, which are bulkier, heavier, and lower quality than upcoming pancake lenses. But maybe there's a chance Sony realizes they can't wait another decade considering the rate at which VR hardware is improving. Praying for a PS5 Pro/PSVR2 pro combo in 3-4 years.

I'm very used to VR at this point (been using VR regularly since 2014) and I still get mind blown at times. If this can somehow up the ante on the experience I'll be super impressed. They're certainly saying all of the right things and the specs sound great. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

My mind is still blown constantly, even with Quest 2 native games running on the XR2 chip. It's part of the reason I have such a "are you people not seeing what I'm seeing?" attitude in VR threads when people still dump on the tech. I understand when people that the wow-factor is dampened after a while, but the immersion ceiling has been raised through the roof with no signs of slowing down as VR hardware/software develops. So much so that I don't even really consider the descriptor "immersive" as very useful for me in standard gaming anymore. Visual "diminishing returns" won't be a thing for a long time in VR for multiple reasons.

Last edited:

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I'm so excited for PSVR2. I hope this means soon we'll get an info blowout, release date, software announcements/trailers and so on.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm not saying it's not worth discussing or not an issue. I'm saying every single PSVR2 news thread turns into a wired Vs wireless debate regardless of the original story. (Now I've even helped derail this one, smh)
Yeah it became tiresome a long time ago and now it just makes reading any thread about psvr2 a frustrating experience.

Can't wait to see more about the new device, I used my psvr quite a bit at first but due to the hassle it was hooking it up every time it did put me off. The new device should essentially remove that hassle since it's a simple USB cable and no camera is needed so it's going to be so much easier to put something on.

Last edited:

AllBizness

Banned
Mar 22, 2020
I've done it.
You lose a significant amount of FoV and these headsets don't have enough to begin with. Try to minimize that issue and now you're looking at your glasses possibly rubbing the headset's lenses.
Compatibility with glasses is basically only useful for having guests use the headset
I have no problem wearing glasses with my PSVR

m0dus

Truant Pixel
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Darn your teasing!

I want to know! :P

I can't say anything specific.

Sony has been extremely deliberate with a lot of their choices about this thing. They've been reading the room for a long time now.

Performance and immersion goes beyond resolution. The numbers certainly matter, but the whole is definitely greater than the sum.

Stop sweating about the wire. It'll disappear once you start playing. Unless you're spinning in circles or something.

Haptics make a bigger impact than you realize. Think about the first time you experienced dualsense, now consider it in the context of VR.

People asking for videos, etc - it should be clear by now that that is never representative of the experience for VR, which often is unfairly scrutinized by gamers who are already very skeptical and jaded. I say this from experience. :)

VR already has enough to 'prove' for people, and showing unfinished builds with incomplete assets or performance hitches would not be in anyones best interest.

Edit: wow, I am seeing this post pop up in some very strange places.

All of the points above relate to current VR experiences available, in terms of how these elements come together to contribute to the novel experience being discussed. None of it is specific to any one piece of hardware.

I should've figured something was up when some folks suddenly started enthusiastically agreeing with me. :)

Last edited:

Vash

Oct 28, 2017
I can't say anything specific. But I will say this:

Sony has been extremely deliberate with a lot of their choices about this thing. Performance and immersion goes beyond resolution. The numbers certainly matter, but the whole is definitely greater than the sum.

Stop sweating about the wire. It'll disappear once you start playing. Unless you're spinning in circles or something.

Haptics make a bigger impact than you realize. Think about the first time you experienced dualsense, now consider it in the context of VR.

People asking for videos, etc - it should be clear by now that that is never representative of the experience for VR, which often is unfairly scrutinized by gamers who are already very skeptical and jaded. I say this from experience. :)

Thanks, I appreciate your reply even though I was mostly joking. :)

Looking forward to getting my hands on it, the specs sound great, and these early impressions got me really interested in what is possible with it.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah it because tiresome a long time ago and now it just makes reading any thread about psvr2 a frustrating experience.

Can't wait to see more about the new device, I used my psvr quite a bit at first but due to the hassle it was hooking it up every time it did put me off. The new device should essentially remove that hassle since it's a simple USB cable and no camera is needed so it's going to be so much easier to put something on.

I sold mine at Christmas, can't wait for the New one either.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The thing that has me excited is if I'm not mistaken Chet worked at Valve so I imagine he's absolutely not a newbie to VR. If it's that impressive to him it is probably really good.
He doesn't work there anymore? He was one of the main people that pushed the vr tech at valve

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017

I haven't had an experience with an Index hmd myself (first gen Vive owner) but I've seen enough reports and posts on the shoddy production QA issues related to the Index controllers to know its "premium" status is a bit overblown. Also there's plenty of posts saying the Quest 2 display surpasses it in terms of resolution/IQ, so outside the razor accurate lighthouse tracking I can't say I'm that impressed by it. Valve's "enthusiast pricing" tier wrt hmds is becoming a bit old hat when we have the Quest lineup that seemingly surpasses it in terms of display and wireless capability. I'm optimistic "Deckard" is an answer to that however.

I'm not really sure what the point is for you downplaying the haptic feedback in the hmd itself when its already been stated part of this is to mitigate motion sickness. If this is something that brings more people to VR and helps reduce motion sickness for those susceptible to it is that not commendable and worthy of praise? Ionno your takes seem premature and a bit overly defensive vs the PCVR space options (which I've personally been invested in since dk1).

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Sony has been extremely deliberate with a lot of their choices about this thing. They've been reading the room for a long time now.

Performance and immersion goes beyond resolution. The numbers certainly matter, but the whole is definitely greater than the sum.

VR already has enough to 'prove' for people, and showing unfinished builds with incomplete assets or performance hitches would not be in anyones best interest.
They still needed more fov, I get tunnel vision with 110 degrees, should be 150 minimum

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
Awesome! Cannot wait to here more about what people thought about it :)

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
It's hard to know what to expect before trying it, but it sounds exciting. Hopefully retail can start taking preorders soon.

Flounder

Oct 28, 2017

Thanks for this, although I was already going to buy PSVR2 day one, this is very reassuring. I've got RUNNER in my Steam wishlist but I think I'll hold off for the PSVR2 version now, especially if there is some cool stuff done with the haptics!

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona

My hunt for a psvr2 starts now

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

Here we go again y'all hung up on specs alone and then the experience is beyond just specs it's like you never learn lol.

Oct 27, 2017

My biggest problem with VR is that I get motion sickness quite easily. Are the haptics really effective in reducing the effect?

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017

This is music to my ears, when can I blindly pre-order this godly device Soony?

I knew by the time I tried the DualSense for the first time, that its features would really shine in VR. I'm very excite!

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Too bad the controllers aren't as advanced as the Index ones, cuz everything else sounds great.

Oct 31, 2017
cannot wait to hear what everyone thinks esp, compared to psvr1. What would like to know now is if its going to have backwards compat.

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
DualSense haptic feedback was way oversold in terms of general impact, for me. Hopefully that doesn't happen with PSVR2 haptics.