• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
So I saw many people ask the same question in the reveal thread. How does it compare to x and y. I therefore thought it would be good to have an overview. Also it might mitigate some of the more unreasonable expectations on the price reveal. Bear in mind that there are three types of headsets:

Console headsets like PSVR and PSVR2: These only work with a console. PSVR with PS4, PS4 Pro and PS5. PSVR2 with PS5.
PCVR headsets: Like the name implies, they only work with PCs powerful enough to render VR games.
Quest 1 and Quest 2: Works standalone (onboard computer) as well as with PCs powerful enough to render VR games.

This thread is not for comparing the merits of the platform powering the headset (PC, Console, Snapdragon chipset) or which one has/will have the better games - here we only look at specs.

There are many different PC headsets so I've chosen two of the most popular ones, The Valve Index, which is at the higher end cost and feature wise, and since the Quest 2 is actually the most popular and cheapest headset used for PCVR it needs to be here too as the low end entry (even though it's really not "low end").

In the specs below, to help people who aren't into the technical side but are curious which one is better, I have marked the better spec with orange. Bear in mind, this is my own opinion but I think most would agree with me. If you think there are any important spec comparisons I've missed, please post it and I will add it to the list.

The specs (winner in orange):

Screens (Clear win for PSVR2. Most people can't render 144hz, for most 120hz is plenty and IMHO OLED trumps all. HDR is gravy on top)
:
PSVR2: 2000 x 2040 per eye. OLED with HDR. Up to 120hz refresh rate.
Valve Index: 1600 x 1440 per eye. LCD. Up to 120hz refresh rate (144hz experimental)
Quest 2: 1832 x 1920 per eye. LCD. Up to 120Hz refresh rate.

Lenses (clear win for Index):
PSVR2: 110 degrees field of view. Fresnel lenses. IPD settings Unknown.
Valve Index: 130 degrees field of view. Fresnel lenses. IPD settings 58-70.
Quest 2: 90 degrees field of view. Fresnel lenses. IPD settings 58, 63 or 68.

Tracking (win debatable, Index. External sensors provide better tracking, but might not be practical unless you have a dedicated vr room):
PSVR2: Inside out tracking via 4 cameras in the headset. No external sensors needed. Controllers only tracked when in view of headset cameras.
Valve Index: 2 external sensors needed for tracking of headset and controllers. Can track controllers behind your back.
Quest 2: Inside out tracking via 4 cameras in the headset. No external sensors needed. Controllers only tracked when in view of headset cameras.

Eye tracking (clear win for PSVR2):
PSVR2: Cameras inside the headset tracking your eye movement. This makes it possible to render at full resolution where your eye is focusing and lower res in the periphery. Thus freeing up resources. Essentially making it possible to have vr games at PS5 fidelity.
Valve Index: None.
Quest 2: None.

Controllers (win debateable, PSVR2. I factor dual sense features higher since they ought to be utilised more often than the finger tracking of Index has been):
PSVR2: Haptics in the controller - it knows which buttons you are touching and thereby semi finger tracking. Dual sense features, which means improved rumble and resistive triggers. Might be easier to track than the others due to the orb design of the tracking rings.
Valve Index: Haptics in the controller - it knows which buttons you are touching and thereby semi finger tracking. Individual finger tracking.
Quest 2: Haptics in controller - it knows which buttons you are touching and thereby semi finger tracking.

Haptics in headset (clear win for PSVR2)):
PSVR2: Actual feedback in the headset. Crashing a car in vr can be jarring because the view shakes, but you feel nothing. Headset haptics will help with immersion and reduce discomfort. Also, cool gameplay opportunities. Feel the raindrops on your head. Sense something whizzing past your head. Feel a spider crawling on your hea..... Oh no.
Valve Index: None.
Quest 2: None.

Sound (win for Index but debatable if you have high end headphones. Having them built in I think is a win since it's more practical/less hassle):
PSVR2: You connect your own headphones.
Valve Index: Built-in high quality headphones.
Quest 2: Built-in low quality headphones and the option to use your own.

Ergonomy - how pleasant is it to wear (win TBC):
PSVR2: Unknown. We know nothing of how the headset looks and how it is to wear. The predecessor was one of the most pleasant ones on the market as well as one of the few you could comfortably wear glasses in (though at a slight FOV cost). So PSVR2 would win if they change absolutely nothing in the design.
Valve Index: By all accounts, rather pleasant to wear. Lens inserts recommended for people with glasses.
Quest 2: Most agree that it is unpleasant to wear/too front heavy unless you get a strap with weight at the back. Lens inserts recommended for people with glasses.

Wireless/Corded (Clear win for Quest 2):
PSVR2: Uses a single USB-C cord connected to the PS5.
Valve Index: Uses a bulky proprietary cable to the PC.
Quest 2: Uses a single USB-C cord connected to the PC. Also able to connect wirelessly to a PC but this does not work stably in all setups. Standalone/native apps run on the headset do run perfectly well wireless.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Primal Sage

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
A very cool thing about the eye tracking is the gameplay implications. Something that is very hard to do properly in VR is throwing. Eye tracking can help with this. When the console knows what you are focusing on, it also knows where that throw was meant to go.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
It has a good deal of firsts:

HDR screen.
Vibrations in headset (to combat VR sickness and for new gameplay feedback).
First consumer-level headset to feature eye-tracking! A big deal.
Adaptive triggers (well proven by DualSense).

Let's hope they continue the industry-best PSVR comfort-design.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Headset haptics will help with immersion and reduce discomfort. Also, cool gameplay opportunities. Feel the raindrops on your head. Sense something whizzing past your head. Feel a spider crawling on you hea..... Oh no.
Will be interesting to see how this is handled, really don't like the idea of my head getting shaken! That said, it only has a single motor for headset haptics, I wouldn't expect what you're expecting.

TΛPIVVΛ

Nov 12, 2017

HDR screen.

You forgot OLED HDR as a first.

Also OP the spider haptic ear thing no.

OP
OP
Primal Sage

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017

HDR screen.

I am confident they will make it just as comfortable as the first one. Would be crazy not to when it's something everyone cites as a win for the first one. One might also argue that everything else is pointless if people can't wear it for longer sessions.

The HDR is very exciting. The old model had great contrast and colours. Adding HDR to that, whoo boy. Now here someone might chime in with "some games don't look great with HDR, I need to adjust my set for them". That's the beauty of everyone having the same screen. The devs are coding for the same display which is the issue with HDR on tvs since the quality of the HDR display is so variable.

Oct 29, 2017
As a day one PSVR owner, I'm very excited by this, curious about cost because those specs are awesome. RE7 is still probably my favorite VR experience to date.

THAT said, Quest 2 has spoiled me being wireless, extremely portable to take to family/friends, and the wide array of experiences. I understand the benefits of being connected to the console and the horsepower that provides, and am excited by that, but the lazy gamer that adores convenience in me can't help but find the fact that this can only be played wired, while completely expected, disappointing. For some/most, this probably doesn't blip on the radar of anything they are bothered by, but for me personally, this does put a damper on it.

Regardless - I'm still in 100%. lol

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure how this one is a clear win for PSVR2? At best it's the same as Quest 2 when wired and a clear loss when it comes to wireless? 🤨

Wireless/Corded (Clear win):
PSVR2: Uses a single USB-C cord connected to the PS5.
Valve Index: Uses a bulky proprietary cable to the PC.
Quest 2: Uses a single USB-C cord connected to the PC. Also able to connect wirelessly to a PC but this does not work stably in all setups. Standalone/native apps run on the headset do run perfectly well wireless.

Edit: idiot coming through

Last edited:

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I hope the headset either comes with headphones or has optional clip on ones similar to Vive DAS. I hate needing to plug in earphones, and headphones are even worse as whatever you have isn't necessarily going to fit over the headset and its just one extra step

OP
OP
Primal Sage

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
I hope the headset either comes with headphones or has optional clip on ones similar to Vive DAS. I hate needing to plug in earphones, and headphones are even worse as whatever you have isn't necessarily going to fit over the headset and its just one extra step

From the PS Blog:

AudioInput: Built-in microphoneOutput: Stereo headphone jack

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
unknown.png

foveated rendering is confirmed btw

OP
OP
Primal Sage

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
......Fuck.

Welp, I hope it's PC/Steam VR compatible (it won't be, but a man can dream can't he.)

That would be the dream.

Having it be USB-C totally removes the physical connection issue. The real question is whether Sony will provide a driver and if not, how hard will it be for the community to make one. I bet someone will try if Sony doesn't.

Anarion07

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Wasnt there a slide that mentioned foveated rendering during the presentation?
Esit: too late

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Notice the colour. The orange is the winner.
Technically having Lighthouse opens up for some additional tracking possibilities yes (full-body tracking, proper behind-the-back tracking, large amount of devices) but I bet 90+% of the consumer base (me included, having owned a Vive since launch) would prefer no-hassle inside-out tracking that requires zero setup when given the choice. I don't agree with the clear win in favor of Valve here. :p
Imo the Rift S is still the best PC VR headset all things considered (price, comfort & setup as part of that verdict).

In any case, I would label the categories as "clear win for [platform x]" to avoid confusion. Good job on the thread!

Last edited:

occ86

Oct 30, 2017
Ahhhh. I thought the clear win meant PSVR2. Gotcha!

Haha, I made the same mistake.
"Why is it a clear win for PSVR2 wenn the index has a higher field of view?"
Felt pretty dumb when I read the post a second time.

Can someone tell me how the haptic feedback will help with motion sickness?
Edit: Failed to see the explanation in the OP. Makes sense now and I hope it will help a lot!

OP
OP
Primal Sage

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
Are you telling me the PSVR2 basically outdoes the Rift S?

A bit more detail:

Rift S has one screen at 2560x1440 which is divided into what the eyes get - so really 1280x1440 per eye. And at 80hz. And LCD.
Compared to PSVR2's 2000 x 2040 per eye. OLED with HDR. Up to 120hz refresh rate.

Massive difference.

Last edited:

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Allf of this has no weight sicne they didn't show the device yet and how it works tbh. I hate when they keep doing such elongated teases till last moment. This is so outdated as marketing.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Will be interesting to see how this is handled, really don't like the idea of my head getting shaken! That said, it only has a single motor for headset haptics, I wouldn't expect what you're expecting.

I seem to remember reading that little things like resistance, wind motion... all of that contributes to mitigating sickness. While it sounds weird, can only be a good thing to address one of the big platform drawbacks.

OP
OP
Primal Sage

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
Technically having Lighthouse opens up for some additional tracking possibilities yes (full-body tracking, large amount of devices) but I bet 90+% of the consumer base (me included) would prefer no-hassle inside-out tracking that requires zero setup when given the choice. I don't agree with the clear win in favor of Valve here. :p

Good point. I actually had the first Vive with two lighthouses for tracking. The tracking was flawless. Absolute perfection. Inside out isn't quite as effective but it's gotten so good that it's more than worth it.

Can someone tell me how the haptic feedback will help with motion sickness?

So there are two possible culprits when you get motion sick in VR:
-Framerate fluctuations.
-Seeing something your brains says "and now you'll feel x" without actually feeling it.

Examples:
-Something hits you in VR and your view shakes. Very unpleasant because you are not shaking, but the view is. VR devs rarely do this or they let you turn it off because they know it can be unpleasant.
-Conversely, something hitting you and getting no visual feedback can ALSO be unpleasant, because that's also unnatural.

Having a mild headset feedback for situations like this will help with keeping the immersion and therefore reduce motion sickness. And really anything hightening immersion convinces your body that what you are seeing is real.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how the FoV will be like in practice. I have a Lenovo Mixed Reality and it has the same FoV listed in the specs but it isn't enough for me. I haven't tried the Index yet but it would have been nice to get 130 on PSVR2.

GrahamGoring

Nov 8, 2017
Really good to hear about the glasses thing with the original PSVR (I never tried one) as I am cursed with both crappy eyesight AND a massive noggin which means my glasses are unfeasibly big, too.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
PSVR2: Cameras inside the headset tracking your eye movement. Should massively reduce the load on the PS5 GPU since you only get full resolution where your eyes look. PS5 fidelity games in VR.
This isn't confirmed. People are confusing foveated rendering, which the Quest devices have already, with eye-tracked foveated rendering. Eye tracking has only been confirmed for game interaction not for rendering. It might be there, but until it's confirmed that it is we need to stop acting like it is.

OP
OP
Primal Sage

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
This isn't confirmed. People are confusing foveated rendering, which the Quest devices have already, with eye-tracked foveated rendering. Eye tracking has only been confirmed for game interaction not for rendering. It might be there, but until it's confirmed that it is we need to stop acting like it is.

Good point, they haven't paired those two features yet in their marketing.

ApexNorth

Oct 27, 2017
Really curious how they're gonna handle the haptics. Feeling rain on my head could be amazing, it could get more intense as it get's heavier. Then again, I don't think that the haptics are going to be like the ones in the DualSense controller as there's only one motor.

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
Looking like it'll be a good headset, it'd be cool if it did end up working on PC, as I'd grab one as a Rift S replacement. Part of the reason I picked the Rift S in the first place was because it had the PSVR-style headband, but it's just not as comfortable as the PSVR was. Sony really nailed that.

A bit more detail:

Rift S has one screen at 2560x1440 which is divided into what the eyes get - so really 1280x720 per eye. And at 80hz. And LCD.
Compared to PSVR2's 2000 x 2040 per eye. OLED with HDR. Up to 120hz refresh rate.

Massive difference.

You cut that screen res in half, so it's 1280x1440 per eye. If it was 1280x720 you'd only be using a quarter of the screen per eye.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of wild how much new stuff Sony is introducing here - really pushing the envelope (for now).

The sensory and audiovisual features here are in line with their general PS5 messaging too, which means this may have been in development for almost as long as the PS5 itself. Glad to see they've taken their time to get it right.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I follow your logic on the debateable wins on everything but the controllers. Dualsense features do not top off individual finger tracking, c'mon now.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
OLED and HDR will be massive. Really excited by what they have shown here

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I am so damn excited for this. I do wish it was wireless, but I also understand why it isn't. A single wire is still wayyy better than the setup of the first one which I enjoyed but I just couldn't get over the cable management, so I sold mine not long after launch.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
No wireless isn't a big shock, sucks but was expected.

No built in audio sucks though, makes jumping in a much more cumbersome experience having to fiddle with a headset as well, doesn't have to be amazing quality, just the option for ease of use would have been a big step up I think.

Jul 7, 2021
Hoping for pc compatability if not at launch soon after.

It would make it the vr headset to own with a vast library of the best of the best.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
It reeeeeally looks like they are hitting the right specs for a good price point. Not insanely high-end, but a really good leap over the original and really competitive with what's already up there in the most popular headsets.

I think they'll hit $299 at launch with these specs.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Incredibly impressive specs. I'm still not expecting VR to really take off until wireless and lighter/comfier headsets are standard, but I doubt Sony expects this to sell gangbusters either. It's just awesome seeing them put all this R&D into the tech, and makes me think PSVR3 on a PS6 might finally be the one.

EDIT: Actually, also feel like a better solution for gloves/controllers will be needed too. I know a lot of research is being done there, but current solutions all seem like a stop-gap.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Do people consider the Quest 2 built-in audio to be low-quality? I think it sounds quite good, though to be fair I never tried playing with better headphones.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
when the PSVR2 is out; Project Cambria (the new Meta headset, aka the Quest 3) will probably be out as well, so comparing it to the Quest 2 is a bit of a moot point.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
No wireless isn't a big shock, sucks but was expected.

No built in audio sucks though, makes jumping in a much more cumbersome experience having to fiddle with a headset as well, doesn't have to be amazing quality, just the option for ease of use would have been a big step up I think.
If its anything like PSVR 1, the head phones were included and had a spot made for them in the headset. So all you saw was these lil ear pods dangling out before you put the headset on. May have had a spot to secure them while not in use, cant remember now. But they were locked in place in the head set.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
I hope they manage to avoid god rays again. PSVR was my first VR headset and all the other ones I tried afterwards were pretty shocking in that regard.

BitterFig

Oct 30, 2017
People are confusing foveated rendering, which the Quest devices have already
If it's purely a software solution that reduces resolutions on the side, can't any VR headset do it? Seems disingenuous to market a software feature that any headset can do when revealing your hardware. Would be VERY weird if the advertised foveated rendeing is not tied to eye tracking hardware/software stack.