• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wallace Wells

May 24, 2019
www.polygon.com

PlayStation VR2 is making me fall in love with VR again

Hands-on with four games on Sony’s new virtual reality headset

Polygon said:
Last week, I tried Sony's new headset for the first time and was caught off guard by how stunning two of its marquee games, Horizon Call of the Mountain and Resident Evil Village, looked. They didn't rely on particles or stylized art direction; they looked like AAA console games that just happened to be in VR. The past few years of playing Quest had recalibrated my expectations for how VR games should appear, and it was great to see games pushing forward visually once again without requiring an elaborate setup.

Polygon on Horizon said:
One of the most beautiful games I've seen in VR, Call of the Mountain feels like a visual showcase for Sony's new headset. Leaves, wind, fire, explosions, and giant robots fill the sky as you make your way through a new Horizon story

The game will clock in at around six or seven hours, according to the developers, and combat will primarily consist of shooting arrows rather than the wild melee acrobatics seen in earlier games.

www.eurogamer.net

PlayStation VR2 is about to breathe new life into virtual reality gaming

Ian Higton goes hands-on with the PSVR2 in this detailed look at the unit and four upcoming PSVR2 games.
Eurogamer said:
Wow. Wow, wow, wow. That's the word that keeps springing to mind when I try to sum up my time with PlayStation VR2. As a fervent fan of VR for many years now, it's safe to say that my first hands-on experience with Sony's upcoming headset wowed my VR-loving socks off. This sleek and stylish unit was all I could have wanted for an upgraded PSVR headset and much, much more.

In terms of technological and visual quality, this feels like one of the more memorable generational console leaps. Experiencing the difference in visuals between the PSVR1 and the PSVR2 brought back memories of graduating to the sparkly, sharp, high-definition games of a PS3 after spending years playing games on the PS2 in standard definition

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7oN_Q4pbkI

blog.playstation.com

Hands-on with four PlayStation VR2 titles

We had a chance to pick up the PS VR2 Sense controllers and play immersive games set in the worlds of Resident Evil, The Walking Dead, Star Wars, and Horizon.

www.gamespot.com

PSVR 2 And Horizon Call of the Mountain Are A Strong Reminder Of VR's Magic

Small tweaks and smart additions set up PlayStation VR 2 for success.
Gamespot on Horizon said:
Horizon Call of the Mountain is an impressive showpiece that makes compelling cases for pretty much every new hardware design and engineering choice made for the PSVR 2.
Gamespot on Horizon said:
The level of detail on display was genuinely overwhelming, mostly because I didn't expect it from a VR game. I know how dismissive that sounds of all the VR games out there, of which there are certainly more than a few impressive-looking ones. However, there's a clear line between the way a VR game and a non-VR game look--there's a level of richness, detail, and polish that separates the two. Horizon Call of the Mountain blurs that line on PSVR 2.

The Verge:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXz2mVD6yAw

IGN Call of the Mountain impressions:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfFFXqeYHZg

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I have a lot of faith in the technology. This is the second wind mainstream VR needs.

I'm just worried about the price.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
visual tricks, like foveated rendering (where the hardware only fully renders the areas you're looking at), that help the graphics look high-end — it's certainly impressive that it can replicate a game like Resident Evil Village with minimal drop-off from the console version — and a variety of quality-of-life changes.
Awesome

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Verge is the website equivalent of Horizon ow my eyes

Anyway looking forward to it but show more games please

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
6fd3ab6023cc05fda262cf5f3677c2bbd1d3c73b-scaled.jpg

Holy shit

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I was fairly optimistic about the price until recently, the UK might get screwed a little by inflation and the pound.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds great!

Seems high quality. If they nail the pricing it will be a great way to play VR

Shame it isn't wireless but I imagine the majority of the VR experiences I would want to play on PS5 won't be designed around room scale VR anyways

A fair trade off for higher fidelity in all other areas

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Sounds great!

Seems high quality. If they nail the pricing it will be a great way to play VR

Shame it isn't wireless but I imagine the majority of the VR experiences I would want to play on PS5 won't be designed around room scale VR anyways

A fair trade off for higher fidelity in all other areas

I was worried about the wire for games that require some movement, but then i realised you don't have to face a camera anymore and you can have the wire going behind you straight into the PS5.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

Amazing! It's like The Climb but about 500x more exciting!

Sounds like they've figured out an interesting and sensible way to do the combat in VR. The combat sections take place in a circular arena and it's you vs one enemy. You're locked to a circular track and can only move left and right around the enemy. Enemy stays in the centre and you strafe around it.

That makes a ton of sense. I was worried that it was going to be full on analogue, move every direction around an area movement which is horrible in VR.

View: https://youtu.be/mfFFXqeYHZg?t=290

Fudus

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2020
I want to know more about the controllers.
Are they as capable as the prototype that was shown a while back?

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
Impressions seem really good, I just don't know if I can go back to wired headset after Quest.

Jul 26, 2018
I haven't used a VR headset myself so excuse the simple question, but... how do PSVR2 graphics compare to playing PS5 on a flat screen? Do graphics show a noticeable downgrade? Because I feel like graphics must make 90% of the immersion.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I wasn't aware they'd even started. Last I asked in Gamestop about it here, they said they weren't taking preorders until a date and price were announced.

They haven't even started pre-orders yet.
They are joking, making light of the fact it being so "good" has caused pre-orders to be gone before they are event out.

OT, I'm cautiously optimistic. Much like Half-Life: Alyx, you can have an amazing couple of games but if the well dries up on decent content making full use of the headset, or you have garbage fire filled dumping grounds of games with "vr" coupled then the headset won't do so well long-term. We really need an online space that stays current but accessible to all headsets, much like platform crossplay in that it provides consistent interactions due to an increased playerbase size.

Edit: oh yeah, price. Anything higher than $399 will kill momentum and push it into the "maybe if some interesting games come out" category, which causes a rolling cycle of developers not seeing impact from the system that in turn causes no "significant" games to come out bar easy game mode additions.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
And usually, VR games require you to take a break every now and then so you don't develop a pounding migraine. But that wasn't as much of an issue with the PSVR 2. You can go for a decent chunk of time without feeling the strain.
Also awesome

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Because I feel like graphics must make 90% of the immersion.

They actually don't, I've found.

Many games that in screenshots or 2D video would look pretty low-end or not terribly impressive have in turn made for some of my favourite experiences on the device. Walkabout Mini-Golf is a great example of that; they just released their Labyrinth tie-in and yet from a distance it graphically doesn't look to impressive, but being in there and exploring spaces, seeing tangible scale and distance in 3D, is something that elevates most every experience.

It's awesome when games DO have spectacular graphics though :)

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
It's very impressive visually I'm sure, but I'm not that impressed with the gameplay they are showing of Horizon. It just sort of seems like a graphics showcase with some archery combat

Then again I'm not exactly sure what I'm expecting from next gen VR, but I think graphics aren't the most important thing with this medium. Not really

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
Horizon looks incredible and previews are very positive, can't wait to try it myself

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
would be nice to get some more VR savvy people to take a look once sony let you spend more time with it. I'd like impressions on the hand/finger tracking, how haptics work to enhance presence, how the eye tracking/foveated rendering works, and impressions of the HDR

dodo667418

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 28, 2017
I haven't used a VR headset myself so excuse the simple question, but... how do PSVR2 graphics compare to playing PS5 on a flat screen? Do graphics show a noticeable downgrade? Because I feel like graphics must make 90% of the immersion.
IMO graphics come off way better in the headset compared to 2D footage of the game. I had some people over to show Resident Evil 4 on Quest 2. One of the first things one of my mates said how shit it looked based on the streamed footage I had on my TV. After he played it, I asked him again what he thinks of the visuals and he was surprised how good it looked and how little he ultimately cared during the experience. Seeing it on a VR headset makes a big difference. VR footage can look very goofy in 2D. Most trailers show some micro movement which looks jarring on a regular display, but when you play the game on the headset, you won't notice because it's your head doing / compensating for these movements. It feels smooth and natural to you in the headset while it may look shaky to others.

Games probably won't look quite as good compared to flat native PS5 games. But with the help of foveated rendering, games should look pretty damn good. These devices have already gotten so much better, nowadays there's not really a screen door effect etc. Impressions on graphics sound overwhelmingly positive from these previews, so I wouldn't worry about that aspect.

Desfrog

Oct 29, 2017
The hardware seems really impressive, just nail the software and confirm PC support please Sony.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Sounds like they've figured out an interesting and sensible way to do the combat in VR. The combat sections take place in a circular arena and it's you vs one enemy. You're locked to a circular track and can only move left and right around the enemy. Enemy stays in the centre and you strafe around it.

That makes a ton of sense. I was worried that it was going to be full on analogue, move every direction around an area movement which is horrible in VR.
Yeah, I thought that was a really interesting approach to give you some exciting combat whilst dealing with the limitations of VR movement, especially when some folks will find free-motion nauseating.

Graphics are not the essential part of immersion. Good interactivity of multiple elements in the scene and physics based objects make much more of an impact alongside how much freedom of movement you have vs the gameplay areas they wan't to keep you in. Graphics are just the icing on the cake, but pretty graphics don't make a good VR game, they enhance it.