• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
capsule_616x353.jpg

๐Ÿ‘ฉโ€๐Ÿ’ป Developer: Double Fine
๐Ÿ“€ Publisher: Xbox Game Studios
๐ŸŽฎ Platforms: PC (GOG, Humble Store, Steam, WinStore); PlayStation 4 (PSN); Xbox One (XBL); Xbox Series X|S (XBL)
๐Ÿท๏ธ Price: $59.99/โ‚ฌ59.99/ยฃ54.99 or your regional equivalent*
๐Ÿ“… Release date: August 25th, 2021

* Pricing on platforms/stores other than Steam may vary.

๐Ÿ“– About:
โš ๏ธ Mini-FAQ โš ๏ธ said:
I missed the Fig campaign and would prefer to buy a physical copy. Is that an option?
Sort of. PlayStation and Xbox players can pre-order a physical Collector's Edition from iam8bit.com, but, unfortunately, there is no standard edition, and PC players are out of luck altogether.

Microsoft has owned Double Fine for a couple of years now. What does this mean for those of us playing on PlayStation?
The game will launch on PlayStation 4, as promised to backers during the crowdfunding campaign. However, there will be no native PlayStation 5 version; instead, PlayStation 5 users will be playing the PlayStation 4 Pro version at 1440p60 rather than 1440p30.

Speaking of tech specs, how have the Xbox versions shaped up? And what about HDR support?
The Xbox One version runs at 1080p30, the Xbox One X version runs at 4k30, the Xbox Series S version runs at either 1620p60 or 1080p120, and the Xbox Series X version runs at either 4k60 or 1440p120.

HDR is supported only on Xbox Series X|S, although if you're on PC and running Windows 10 build 21337 or higher, or Windows 11, you can use Auto-HDR.

Does Psychonauts 2 being fully multiplatform mean future Double Fine games may also release on platforms other than Xbox and Windows?
No. Psychonauts 2 is releasing on competing platforms simply because Microsoft is honouring pre-existing commitments, and Double Fine has categorically stated that "going forward, [it'll] be focusing on Xbox, Game Pass, and [Windows] PC."
Previously on Psychonauts said:

www.youtube.com

Previously On Psychonauts...

Art & Animation by Michael Firman.Been 16 years since you last took a trip to Whispering Rock? Didn't have the gear needed to visit the Rhombus of Ruin? Have...

Game information said:
Razputin "Raz" Aquato, trained acrobat and powerful young psychic, has realized his lifelong dream of joining the international psychic espionage organization known as the Psychonauts! But these psychic super spies are in trouble. Their leader hasn't been the same since he was rescued from a kidnapping, and what's worse, there's a mole hiding in headquarters.

Combining quirky missions and mysterious conspiracies, Psychonauts 2 is a platform-adventure game with cinematic style and tons of customizable psychic powers. Psychonauts 2 serves up danger, excitement and laughs in equal measure as players guide Raz on a journey through the minds of friends and foes on a quest to defeat a murderous psychic villain.

- Experience an imaginative, cinematic story that mixes humor and intrigue, brought to you by legendary game designer Tim Schafer (Grim Fandango, Brรผtal Legend, Broken Age).
- Explore unique environments using Raz's ability to dive into people's brains to battle their inner demons, unlock hidden memories, and resolve their emotional baggage.
- Leap acrobatically through the air, traversing tightropes and trapezes in a varied, challenging, and joyful platforming experience.
- Wield a powerful array of psychic powers to blast, burn and levitate things, or even slow down time itself to solve environmental puzzles and battle strange enemies.

๐Ÿ“ท Screenshots:

๐ŸŽž๏ธ Trailers:
Announcement
First Trailer
First Gameplay Trailer
Brain in a Jar
Action/Release Date
Story
Musical Tour (soundtrack preview trailer)
Basic Braining (a collection of short videos that explore the mechanics of the game)
Launch

โœ๏ธ Reviews:
Era review thread
Metacritic - PC (89)
Metacritic - PlayStation 4 (87)
Metacritic - Xbox One (91)
Metacritic - Xbox Series X|S (87)
OpenCritic (89)

Last edited:
OP
OP
GrrImAFridge

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Posting this "early" because the intention was to post it 24 hours before release, so as to account for multi-console owners who are on the fence and might be swayed by the technical side of things, but I'm not sure I'll be on Era 24 hours from now, so here we are!

Literally counting down the minutes.

psy2launchbts7ek0x.jpg

I'm sure I sound like a broken record at this point, but I haven't been this excited for a game since I was kid and I'd tear small holes in birthday/Christmas wrapping paper just to get a peek at the retail box.

Just three days to go.

Edit: I'm a dumbo and forgot to link the actual video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbvzs2g69c8

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
I hope it lives up to expectations. I've been waiting half my life for this!

Egg0

Oct 25, 2017
This looks dope. I hope it's accessible to someone who doesn't really have time to play the original.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
THE HYPE IS REAL.

I checked the GP app and also your OT countdowns but I was surprised it unlocks in the afternoon on the 24th rather than on the 25th! WOOHOO!

Firebricks

Jan 27, 2018
This is the first game in a long time I really want reviews to be mostly positive, I think we all need this one to be good.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Here are some recent videos too. There's of course all the dev update videos, but there may be too many for the sake of the OT without a neat playlist option.
www.youtube.com

Psychonauts 2 Basic Braining Episode 1 - The Interns

In this first episode of "Basic Braining," a behind the scene peek at Psychonauts 2, we look at some of the new characters Raz will meet at Psychonauts HQ: h...
(playlist of all 6 basic braining episodes)
www.youtube.com

Psychonauts 2 Action Trailer // Summer 2021

Psychonauts 2 is out on August 25th! You can preorder today on the Microsoft Store/Xbox or on Steam - additional consoles and storefronts comings soon!Razput...
www.youtube.com

Psychonauts 2 Musical Tour

Highlights from Peter McConnell's 3-hour score to Psychonauts 2! Learn more about his process in this interview with SPIN: spin.com/2021/08/psychonauts-2-mus...
www.youtube.com

Psychonauts 2 Accessibility Feature Q&A w/Senior Producer Kevin Johnson

Psychonauts 2 is a game for anyone and everyone! To help ensure a variety of players can enjoy the game, we've worked on many features ranging from combat ad...
www.youtube.com

Psychonauts 2 // Brain in a Jar Trailer

Psychonauts 2 releases in 2021 on Xbox Game Pass, Windows PC, Mac, Linux, and PS4. Best of all, itโ€™ll be Optimized for Xbox Series X!Psychonauts 2 is a mind-...

edit: just saw these are hotlinks in the OP :)

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't focus enough to play games right now so I gotta put the whole thread on Ignore, because Psychonauts is way too special for me to play Psychonauts 2 with my overdrive ADHD brain where I can't enjoy myself in the slightest. Cheers, y'all, we're finally coming home.

Madrugador

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Great thread!!

Does anyone know If the game will have be compatible with Steam Family Share? I want my sister to play this (with her own account of course).

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I have faith in Tim Schafer, but it was something of a minor miracle that a game like Psychonauts turned out like it did when it did.

This has 16 years pushing against it.

Hoping for the best!

BackwardCap

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I thought June was gonna be heavy on the number of games I want to play this year, but august has turned out to be even worse.

OP
OP
GrrImAFridge

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Great thread!!

Does anyone know If the game will have be compatible with Steam Family Share? I want my sister to play this (with her own account of course).

It will. Unreleased games are excluded by default (to prevent reviewers and streamers from unwittingly sharing upcoming titles), but this restriction is removed automatically upon release.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
kinda worried because they're not letting reviews drop until the game is almost out :omg:

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey folks, do you recommend any specific YouTube video to catch up on the story? It's been a while since I played the first and never completed it. Unfortunately, I don't have much time to play it, so I'm going directly to the second one.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Hey folks, do you recommend any specific YouTube video to catch up on the story? It's been a while since I played the first and never completed it. Unfortunately, I don't have much time to play it, so I'm going directly to the second one.
Double Fine is including an animation that covers the events of the first and the VR game ๐Ÿ‘

OP
OP
GrrImAFridge

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Last edited:

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
Probably the best game of the year and a top 5 of mine. I have it bought on Steam but it probably unlocks earlier through Game Pass, so i will play it there.

dojo32161

Sep 4, 2019
Been avoiding all the marketing so I'm excited for this, watched the VR title earlier, so interested to see where it goes.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
There's going to be a documentary for this by 2 Player Productions still, right? Do we know any more about that yet?

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
There's going to be a documentary for this by 2 Player Productions still, right? Do we know any more about that yet?
Yes there will be. It won't come out until like a half a year to a year after release though IIRC. I think I asked during the Psychonauts playthrough DF did recently.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
Yes there will be. It won't come out until like a half a year to a year after release though IIRC. I think I asked during the Psychonauts playthrough DF did recently.
Nice, good to know, looking forward to that for sure. I have the Double Fine Adventure doc on bluray lol.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. I'm still pretty irritated by this decision. Double Fine hasn't been independently operated for over 2 years now, so the lack of planning around a physical version outside of the Fig commitments is baffling, and only really reflects on Microsoft's lack of interest in offering that choice. So a double dip it may have to be.

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
I probably would never have been excited for this game, since I missed the first, and at a glance it didn't appeal to me. But because it was launching on Gamepass, I figured what the hell I'll play the first to see if I'd be interested in the sequel, and the first was catapulted to the top of my list of favorite platformers and even games in general. Very few games can boast of such a variety of content. Now this is one of my most hyped games, and I absolutely cannot wait!