• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Apparently Psyonix (now owned by Epic Games) removes regional pricing for some countries for Rocket League.

Argentina: AR$ 224,99 to AR$1153,00
Brazil: R$ 36,99 to R$ 83,05
India: ₹ 565 to ₹ 1435
Mexico: Mex$ 179.99 Mex$ 400.05
Russia: 419 ₽ to 1331,05 ₽
Taiwan: NT$ 468 to NT$ 628
Turkey: ₺31,00 to ₺116,05

Source:

It hasnt been updated on SteamDB yet, but in the client you can already see it:

unknown.png

GOTY edition hasnt been updated yet.

Wonder if that is how Epic wants to compete. Raise the price for the Steam versions, then sell the other versions on their shop cheaper. At least right now people who want to buy it haveto pay up to 5 times the amount.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
That's pretty fucked up. But this is probably an bug then it being deliberate.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
Does seem like some sort of bug or mistake if the GotY edition costs far less than the base game.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Does seem like some sort of bug or mistake if the GotY edition costs far less than the base game.
Or they haven't updated the GoTY prices yet.

Anyone from these countries, if you're even 1% interested in the game I suggest you buy the GoTY edition ASAP. Is this is indeed unintentional and not Epic's typical bullshit and they revert the change, you have 2 weeks to refund it anyways.

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's pretty fucked up. But this is probably an bug then it being deliberate.

I really doubt it's a bug. The publisher must set the price on Steam, there's no automatic stuff going on in that part of the store (there are price suggestions for different regions, which is what the game was using before today). If you look at the prices now, they changed them so they are a 1:1 match with US prices. That doesn't sound like a bug at all.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Lol, Uruguay too. x2 the price, and buying the GOTY edition is cheaper lmao

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Wait rocket league is still sold on steam? Thought it would be removed..

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
I really doubt it's a bug. The publisher must set the price on Steam, there's no automatic stuff going on in that part of the store (there are price suggestions for different regions, which is what the game was using before today). If you look at the prices now, they changed them so they are a 1:1 match with US prices. That doesn't sound like a bug at all.
I only say it could be is because Warframe had an issue with their regional pricing that set the price to one of their $110 dlc's to $5.

RavenH2

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
As an argentinian I understand raising the price because of our currency inflation. But instead of raising 30% or even 50%, heck even a 100% they raised it more than 300%???

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
Damn, I kind of wish Steam had pulled the game as soon as they announced Epic bought Psyonix. Make Epic scramble to host the game and infrastructure. They are too fucking nice sometimes. Eventual fuckery like this was always to be assumed.

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I only say it could be is because Warframe had an issue with their regional pricing that set the price to one of their $110 dlc's to $5.

But that was a very different situation. The DLC went up and they made a mistake when inputting the prices, thus it was way lower than it should be. Here, the dev/pub updated the prices for most regions, to something that's almost perfectly 1:1 US prices. See the difference? It's too "perfect" to be a bug (and it's not a new DLC going up, it's an already released game getting a price change).

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
C O M P E T I T I ON
O
M
P
E
T
I
T
I
O
N

(Epic doesn't get the benefit of the doubt here, I think this is probably intentional)

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
But that was a very different situation. The DLC went up and they made a mistake when inputting the prices, thus it was way lower than it should be. Here, the dev/pub updated the prices for most regions, to something that's almost perfectly 1:1 US prices. See the difference? It's too "perfect" to be a bug (and it's not a new DLC going up, it's an already released game getting a price change).
Yeah I guess it's a true shame honestly that Epic is just at this point being a piece of shit when it comes to anything but EGS.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I kind of wish Steam had pulled the game as soon as they announced Epic bought Psyonix. Make Epic scramble to host the game and infrastructure. They are too fucking nice sometimes. Eventual fuckery like this was always to be assumed.
What Infrastructure? Psyonix has it's own backend and dedicated servers.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Cool then it should be no problem to be on EGS any day now.
I'm guessing(hoping) they will scrap the Psynet system they have in place now and replace it with the Epic ID system. It would make crossplay better and hopefully lead to universal accounts which has been a problem with their current system. It's the one major upside I can see from the move.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
I still have regional pricing on base game and GOTY, for now at least. Is there something about those list of countries that might be a clue to why this is happening?

No benefit to Steam to try anything that will have lasting repercussion for them and everyone else. Eventually Epic will have to bear the burden of actually running their damn store and making it appealing to devs and publishers. All the issues that Steam has been facing right now, at least they are trying to address, idk if Epic's way of throwing fat stacks of money in perpetuity will solve those same problems.

No sense for Valve to be seen as the bad guy when their piece of the pie is still quite substantial right now.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not surprised at this happening, if it's not a mistake it's yet another epic screwing customers.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
This is another reason I just have to roll my eyes at those thinking Epic ever gave a flying toss about "competition." They want Steam removed, that's it. It doesn't matter who they fuck over in the process to achieve that, be it other storefronts, studios they deny access to their store, or consumers.

MJnR

Mar 13, 2019
I still have regional pricing on base game and GOTY, for now at least. Is there something about those list of countries that might be a clue to why this is happening?

No benefit to Steam to try anything that will have lasting repercussion for them and everyone else. Eventually Epic will have to bear the burden of actually running their damn store and making it appealing to devs and publishers. All the issues that Steam has been facing right now, at least they are trying to address, idk if Epic's way of throwing fat stacks of money in perpetuity will solve those same problems.

No sense for Valve to be seen as the bad guy when their piece of the pie is still quite substantial right now.
If you don't mind me asking, which country are you from?

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I'm not overly surprised either. They get to say they're keeping Rocket League on Steam, but no one in their right mind would pay the inflated prices they're asking when it's available cheaper on their own platform.

Well, I suppose you could argue someone in their right mind who doesn't already own Rocket League wouldn't buy it at all as a result, but who knows.

Will be interesting to see if this spreads to other regions and if the game sees fewer (and smaller) sales in the future on Steam.

thirtypercent

Oct 18, 2018
Something's trickling down for sure. Smells like Tim's poop, but people keep telling me it's good for us so I won't complain.

Jun 14, 2019

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
If you don't mind me asking, which country are you from?
My region is South East Asia(Singapore) but someone from Indonesia also got their region pricing removed so I don't think region clusters matter here. Wonder why specific countries are being targeted. Might just be a bug or mistake.

MJnR

Mar 13, 2019
My region is South East Asia(Singapore) but someone from Indonesia also got their region pricing removed so I don't think region clusters matter here. Wonder why specific countries are being targeted. Might just be a bug or mistake.
According to SteamDB, Singapore had an increase too (S$20.00 > S$27.75), so this is strange. Although the old price still is showing when you look for RL in the search bar, the new one should show once you open its steam page (also shows if you add it to your cart).

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
According to SteamDB, Singapore had an increase too (S$20.00 > S$27.75), so this is strange. Although the old price still is showing when you look for RL in the search bar, the new one should show once you open its steam page (also shows if you add it to your cart).
Oh really. I just saw the pricing on Steam still in local currency so I assumed it was unchanged. Maybe it did change then. The increase was too small for me to tell the difference. Perhaps they are looking to readjust the regional pricing and something when wrong for some countries?

Idk why I am making excuses for Epic lol. Not like I give a fuck about them or their daft little store.

MJnR

Mar 13, 2019
Oh really. I just saw the pricing on Steam still in local currency so I assumed it was unchanged. Maybe it did change then. The increase was too small for me to tell the difference. Perhaps they are looking to readjust the regional pricing and something when wrong for some countries?

Idk why I am making excuses for Epic lol. Not like I give a fuck about them or their daft little store.
I think that they just want to round-up every currency price with the USD, effectively dropping regional pricing. After this update, the country with the cheapest price is Costa Rica, and their price is 2% cheaper than the US one. Before the change, it was Argentina, which price was 75% cheaper than the base US.