• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017

So for backstory on this, one of the hardest hacks to detect in online games are radar hacks that don't actually modify any game files, but essentially makes a VPN to decrypt the network traffic and sniff for packets including the positions and statuses of other players, and then displays them elsewhere for the hacker, usually another screen or device. Late last month, PUBG/Battleye did something to the anticheat to detect this, and over 35,000 players got banned in a wave. Immediately, a little over a dozen PUBG streamers and competitive players, including those who have been in major tournaments, stopped playing, and their Steam account(s) (yes, some had multiple) showed they had a VAC ban(s). After the usual "I dunno, I don't even know where to get cheats" and "my account was hijacked" excuses, investigations came through and at least 16 players have been confirmed to have been using these programs with no evidence that someone had stolen or hijacked their Steam account. All of them have been banned from competition for at least two years, with an extra year for those who are confirmed to have cheated in online league tournaments, with one team that was all in on it together banned, including players didn't actively use them but knew and condoned their teammates. The latter was the case with a French team, SDF, where the story came out that one player, THZ, was not using hacks himself but convinced at least two teammates to use them.

For a more in depth recap of the scandal itself:

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Cheaters being banned. Always good news! I haven't felt like cheating is rampant on PUBG, but you never know with things like this. It's more subtle than an aimbot, so maybe I have been burned by it without knowing. Good riddance, and it's great to hear and see the results of them improving their cheat detection.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
But everyone on resetera says they have never encountered a cheater in their entire lifetime of pc gaming!!!!

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Would be very interesting to know how they discovered that. Obviously they won't tell!

But everyone on resetera says they have never encountered a cheater in their entire lifetime of pc gaming!!!!
Actually no, I counted 3 in ~500 online interactions in Dark Souls 2. it was a harrowing experience for sure.

On a more serious note, you can do a VPN-based radar hack just as well on a console as on a PC. It's not running on the PC.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Certainly not any PUBG player.

Cheating is common in every popular online pc game. You have to be rather daft to think otherwise

Would be very interesting to know how they discovered that. Obviously they won't tell!

Actually no, I counted 3 in ~500 online interactions in Dark Souls 2. it was a harrowing experience for sure.

On a more serious note, you can do a VPN-based radar hack just as well on a console as on a PC. It's not running on the PC.

Dark souls has multiplayer? What would be the process of selling this type of cheat to console gamers?

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I wish this could lead to platform wide bans on Steam or any other service. If you're the type of person who would cheat at one game, you'll cheat at any game. It would be great if Steam stepped up and said, "If people are caught cheating at any game on our platform, you will be perma-banned from all games on our platform". Steam could use a little good will right now anyway.

blondkayvon

Oct 26, 2017
This tea is piping hot. I love seeing cheaters get caught! It's like this weirdly satisfying thing to witness.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Go check how many are using kB/m in console shooters against controllers and come back to me. Cheating is there as long as there's competition of some sort.

Thats definitely an issue, but its not the same level of offense as the regular use of aimbots/wall hacks/radars you get on a regular basis in pc shooters

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
This actually makes sense. If you make your living on this stuff it makes sense to cheat.

But if you are playing for fun I never understood why anyone would cheat. You know you ain't shit and had to resort to cheating to win at the end of the day.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Yes, it's fantastic. Particularly in Dark Souls 2.

Same as on PC. Sell them the cheat, they need to set it up (i.e. set up a VPN, reroute game traffic through it). Then they get the information extracted displayed on some external system (e.g. laptop or android device).

Thats awful if this type of things becomes common even on consoles

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
They do? Can i get a sourced quote on that?
I dont play pubg so ive never read one of those threads, but its a very common claim in threads comparing the positives and negatives of pc vs console
You are being bit dishonest aren't you? That there would be multiple people (everyone) saying they haven't seen a cheater even once, in any game?

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
They do? Can i get a sourced quote on that?

You are being bit dishonest aren't you? That there would be multiple people (everyone) saying they haven't seen a cheater even once, in any game?

it was just a bit of a snarky statement. youre taking it too literally. there are multiple people in those threads, but of course it isnt every single person

Well, immensely stupid thread to try to argue otherwise, because there's literally nothing stopping people from using this cheat on consoles.

theoretically no, but id bet every penny to my name its being used by at most, a fraction of the amt of people using it on PC, if its currently being used at all

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
it was just a bit of a snarky statement. youre taking it too literally. there are multiple people in those threads, but of course it isnt every single person
I still don't believe you, that someone said there couldn't have been a cheater in some of the games they've played. Maybe if they're really new to PC gaming or don't play online much.

Edit: Yeah looking up old discussions, it seems that you've changed "Cheating problem on PC isn't as big as people make it" to mean "Never encountered cheater in my life", even though the person says it has varied by game for them and they have encountered cheaters. Even quite a lot in certain games.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I still don't believe you, that someone said there couldn't have been a cheater in some of the games they've played. Maybe if they're really new to PC gaming or don't play online much.

Edit: Yeah looking up old discussions, it seems that you've changed "Cheating problem on PC isn't as big as people make it" to mean "Never encountered cheater in my life", even though the person says it has varied by game for them and they have encountered cheaters. Even quite a lot in certain games.

you must not have looked very hard. in the most recent thread from just last week

"Another post from 2006? I have all of this year's major multilayer online games and I haven't run into any hackers on PC."

https://www.resetera.com/threads/im...tely-blown-me-away.90626/page-3#post-16526023

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I've never heard of a VPN cheat like this. Pretty crazy they're capable of cheating in such a way. Anyway, where there's money to be had certain people will try to cheat their way to the top in any facet of life. Glad they were caught and I hope they feel ashamed of themselves.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
When streaming and money are involved, you're likely to see more people come into the light who are less scrupulous about what sorts of "help" they have while playing.

ISOM

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
When streaming and money are involved, you're likely to see more people come into the light who are less scrupulous about what sorts of "help" they have while playing.

I don't get streamers cheating. You really must have a trash personality if all you're hanging onto is that people think you're the best "insert_game" player in the world.

Deleted member 19702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Stuff like this is a major reason why I stopped playing online. It's flooded with cheaters/hackers all around and most of the time the devs don't care about stoping them at all.

itchi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A lot of hacks seem to involve intercepting packets essentially being similar to man in the middle attacks and I have to wonder why the connection between the server and client never seems to be encrypted?

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Man people have really got to stop being friends with Clara!

So how long until there exists a cheat device of sorts that you can connect to your router or something which would feed you this info without you requiring to mod your hosts file? I'm afraid there will come a point where cheating becomes undetectable.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, get fucked hackers. One of the things that infuriates me most in online gaming is hackers, exploiters - like seriously, do these people have such an awful and unsatisfying life that they need some sort of validation by winning online, and would even resort to cheats for that? What's the fucking point, and what's the challenge? Having a radar on PUBG is not guaranteed win but it does mean you're practically never getting shot in the back, which is huge. Lmao at the "they hijacker my account" excuses, too. Good riddance.

Deleted member 24118

User requested account closure
Oct 29, 2017
It reminds me of a couple years ago where VAC started to detect a popular TF2 hack and like every Highlander sniper got banned.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting! So this can technically exist for all battle royale games right? And across all devices? I don't see any reason this has to be PC only

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
lol imagine being in 2019 and not having icecold on ignore

It's really crazy how people actually try going beyond just playing recreationally and try going competitive/pro while using cheats. I can't fathom the mindset. Good riddance.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
you must not have looked very hard. in the most recent thread from just last week

"Another post from 2006? I have all of this year's major multilayer online games and I haven't run into any hackers on PC."

https://www.resetera.com/threads/im...tely-blown-me-away.90626/page-3#post-16526023
Yeah that post doesn't say they haven't encountered cheating on PC in their lifetime, but in shooters released last year. It even implies they have encountered cheaters on PC before.
glad to see people get busted for crap like this
I feel like I'm missing something, who is Clara?