• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds publisher and Bluehole studio PUBG Corp has announced its full-year financials for 2018, bringing in $920 million (1.05 trillion won) in revenue for the year and $311 million (355.3 billion won) in profit.

Niko Partners analyst Daniel Ahmad has shared a translation (courtesty of @sinonobu) of the results, including a breakdown of revenue by console.

PC accounted for $790 million (901.8 billion won) as the most profitable platform, followed by mobile with $65 million (74.4 billion won) and console at $58 million (66.2 billion won). $6 million (6.8 billion won) came from other sources. Ahmad noted that the reason mobile revenue for PUBG Corp was fairly low (nearly comparable to console) is because Tencent developed and published the mobile version of the game.

By region, Asia accounted for 53% of PUBG Corp's revenue in 2018 with about $487 million (556.2 billion won).

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-04-22-pubg-corp-sees-USD920-million-in-2018-revenue

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised mobile revenue is so low considering the total number of mobile players is higher than combined Fortnite players.

Edit: oh wait I read that bit about why mobile revenue was low. So Tencent is who makes most of the mobile money then? In which case I'd be interested in seeing the numbers there.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Amazing. Wonder what else they are working on, the original lead is heading up something else with them, I think?

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
PUBG is still the best Predator simulator out there and Erangel is still the greatest map of all time

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
The split (PC / Mobile / Console) is the interesting thing to me here.

The $58M from consoles is only 6.2% of $920M.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
We could see a significant dip in 2019 but apparently PUBG eSports is doing well? Idk maybe that will keep the revenue high

On console I feel like it's become a bit of a non factor. It came out on PS4 in December and nobody seemed to care.

Oct 26, 2017
Could have made a lot more money if the console versions weren't piles of garbage completely outclassed on a technical level by every other BR release.

Still PUBG FPP on PC is by far the best BR experience despite all its problems. I'm looking forward to Asian TPP weirdos funding my game for years to come!

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
The analyst quoted in the article is only partially correct.

PUBG Mobile revenue is low mostly because Tencent doesn't have a revenue license for the game in China, where the majority of their playerbase is.

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If they dont have PUBG2 in the works I'll eat my hat.

Gotta keep your foot down in the BR market

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
I'm no business-type, but that sounds like a lot of money.

and imagine they got the short end of the stick in comparison to Fortnite lol.

I'll be honest,but while single player games are still successful financially,I don't even know if any single player release has ever made so much money in its lifetime,let alone in a single year !

Can you blame corporations for smelling money in online multiplayer games with tons of optional ingame purchases when they see stuff like that ?

I mean just a friend of mine has spent over 500€ in Fortnite over the course of 1 year LOL. I'ts like people are waiting to be milked and deep down they like it

rocket

Oct 27, 2017
At 65mil, it seem really low for that platform. Did they release player base breakdown per platform?

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
They are probably only getting the licensing fee for Pubg Mobile. Because Tencent does the Development,marketting,publishing...etc So am guessing they get a big cut.
Basically yeah. There's a few factors going into this number being so low.
  • PUBG Mobile is 100% a Tencent product. As you surmised, any revenue PUBG Corp rakes in is purely from revenue share. It's basically "free money".
  • PUBG Mobile's audience skews heavily towards tier 2 countries that tend to have lower LTVs and ARPDAUs.
  • PUBG Mobile does not have a monetization license in China, the source of their biggest chunk of active users, due to the government's freeze on monetization licenses.
If the Chinese government ever hands Tencent that license, expect this number to shoot way up.