• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jasonofindy

Oct 27, 2017
There was a PUBG night here in a cafe last night and I saw people playing and having a blast with the game. Seems very popular. I saw moments of framerate problems but nothing that rendered the game unplayable like the many reviews and people have been yelling about.

I'm going to get this game for a relative for Christmas. Is it available physical?

It is available at retail, but it is just a code in the box. Last week when I input the code, the download was around 5 GB if download size is the concern.

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't mean to derail the thread but I recently saw a stream of someone playing a mobile game called Rules of Survival, a PUBG clone for phones. With how relatively good it looks and runs on mobile I really don't understand why PUBG doesn't look and run much better on xbox one, and why it doesn't look and run a billion times better on PC.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Don't mean to derail the thread but I recently saw a stream of someone playing a mobile game called Rules of Survival, a PUBG clone for phones. With how relatively good it looks and runs on mobile I really don't understand why PUBG doesn't look and run much better on xbox one, and why it doesn't look and run a billion times better on PC.

Maybe because that game is finished and the Xbox version is at the half-way point in development before it actually gets the 1.0 release.

Maybe.

edit: wait, did you actually watch this video? With the framerate drops to 0 fps for a couple of seconds a few times and all with barely anything going on or the stuttering with less than half of the players even in the match? What is that even running on, is it his $450 iphone6s?

Watch it from the 4:00 point onwards.

PUBG doesn't run that bad on Xbox One or Xbox One S.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You either did not actually watch the video you provided or you don't have enough experience with PUBG on Xbox to know it runs better than that lol.

Deleted member 21380

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Can you return and rebuy? Or maybe reach out to Microsoft customer support?

Yeah well, doesn't work as I'm on the road and some hundred miles away from home. Also, returning a perfectly functional kit to the store is somehow shitty imho. Naaa, I'll just have to buy it some time after christmas, I mean in the end it's not much more extensive than going to the Cinema with the wife :)

Congrats on all who get it for free though!

adinsx

Oct 30, 2017

It has a lot of breaks, or maybe its a problem with the recording program? Because it feels like the player is still playing when it breaks.
Anyway, this is a game for a phone, the difference of power beetween a phone and XBOX one or XBOX one X is a LOT.

PUBG is just unoptimized, it will need some time to get better, but it will.

Fatal

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It's free too. Will give it a shot, and 120 players too boot.

Edit: put 40min into it. How does this game not get sued? Lol.

Some low Rez textures and LOD pop in, nothing severe. Locked 30fps with no hitching. Playing on iPad Pro 10.1 however, which costs more than an Xbox x so not really and apples and oranges comparison. Controls suck as usual being touch based. Game has very high review score.

Apparently now also available on PC as off today.

Last edited:

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California

You didn't watch that video did you?

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017

I'm not sure I got the same impression of this game as you did, at least from that video. Do you mind elaborating?

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL

That looked fucking awful and ran like complete shit.

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure I got the same impression of this game as you did, at least from that video. Do you mind elaborating?
That looked fucking awful and ran like complete shit.
Yes yes, I agree it looks pretty bad and runs quite poorly. But for a phone game, of the same scope and having the same mechanics as PUBG (and 120 players instead of 100 for that matter) it is very impressive. And the development for it surely began after PUBG's since it's a blatant copy. The graphics and performance difference isn't that different from og xbox one if you look at the video below. To me it just doesn't make sense why pubg doesn't run a lot better on xbox and pc when games like Rules of Survival are even possible on phones.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Yes yes, I agree it looks pretty bad and runs quite poorly. But for a phone game, of the same scope and having the same mechanics as PUBG (and 120 players instead of 100 for that matter) it is very impressive. And the development for it surely began after PUBG's since it's a blatant copy. The graphics and performance difference isn't that different from og xbox one if you look at the video below. To me it just doesn't make sense why pubg doesn't run a lot better on xbox and pc when games like Rules of Survival are even possible on phones.

I assume the answer is simple: it does a lot less in scope and runs off a completely different engine, one that might even be better optimized?

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017

The RoS video you posted looks like an actual N64 game, that's a start. 100 player multiplayer has been around for a couple of console generations now.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL

Here's a couple of direct feed screenshots showing just how poopy this game looks.

rules-of-survival-loot-kill.jpg

rules-of-survival-motorcycle.jpg

IsThatHP

Oct 31, 2017

Wow, this is the first time I've ever seen this true suffering video I wonder why it doesn't show up more often thank you.

Oct 25, 2017
Been playing this more, and I've seriously gotten used to it. The only thing that really stands out to me is the plane at the start (everything studders, especially the map). And when you parachute, it just looks rough.

But once you are on the ground (especially when you are in buildings), I'm not having any issues. The resolution and HDR looks really nice on my 4K OLED too.

I can definitely understand those coming from PC. But I think most average gamers wouldn't find it that jarring.

Just me tho. I put in 400 hours on PC, and I've now played 12 hours or so on my X. And I've found myself slipping into it and having fun. It's not perfect by any means. And I think a lot of the criticism are warranted. But given the game has always ran a little janky, this is seriously what I expected for a console.

Then again, I also don't understand specs to performance expectations. So maybe it should be better.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017

Dude stop concern trolling. Crowbcat vid.

This looks good for a phone game, but c'mon. It's like showing Infinity Blade 2 on iPhone and then showing Dark Souls on PS3 and asking why a sword game on iPhone can look better and run at a better FPS than a AAA RPG sword game on PS3. They're both sword games. Infinity Blade actually has more swords.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
First patch on its way. More patches to follow.

Xbox Players,

We are glad players are enjoying PUBG in Xbox Game Preview and we appreciate all of the great feedback we've received. We take listening and reacting to our player base seriously, and we will work with our community to find opportunity to continually improve the player experience while in "XGP" and beyond.

Please continue to bring your feedback, questions and enthusiasm to:https://forums.playbattlegrounds.com/forum/178-xbox/

This patch will be live at 1AM PST / 10AM CET / 6PM KST. Please restart your Xbox after the patch goes live to get the update.

Here are the first of many Xbox-focused patch notes to come:

Gameplay

• Gas can now be used while on bike or bike with sidecar
UI/UX

• Equipment icons on HUD will now be visible
  • Player icon is now more clearly visible on the world map
  • UI prompts now appear when reload and enter a vehicle options are present
Character

• Tweaked hair color options
Animation

• Cleaned up sidecar passenger animations in first person view
  • Fixed player camera issues while a passenger on the backseat of a Buggy
  • Addressed arm animations specific to holding some weapons
  • Character now correctly faces the proper direction when stopping while swimming
Others

• First pass visual and performance improvements
  • Slightly improved anti-aliasing on Xbox One and Xbox One S
  • Localization updates for Vietnamese, Spanish,(Spain/Mexico)
  • Controls on motorcycle no longer inverted
  • Keyboard functionality is disabled
Bug Fixes

• Fixed instances of player nametags not properly displaying in the lobby during Squad and Duo play
  • Fixed minor animation while crouching and prone
  • Fixed issues where curtains on windows block line of sight of players in the TPP mode
  • Fixed an issue where when Squad leader left the party, voice chat ceased to function as intended
  • Fixed issue where players could lean out of vehicles even when obstructed
  • Fixed collision of cardboard boxes in Yasnaya city
  • Fixed typo in the controller guide
  • Other minor fixes
Thank you again from all of us at the team.

See you in-game,

The PUBG Development and Community Team

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Can't make a new thread but ms have confirmed SOLD in first 48 hours

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2017/12/20/top-microsoft-gaming-moments-2017/

Wonder where it's at now. Gonna be interesting to see if it can match the PC version in consistent growth over the next few months.

Besides Halo, did any other game manage that on Xbox one?

Wouldn't be surprised if most call of duty games did that on XB1 every year.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Wait. People didnt believe before it was 1 million sold?
What else could it have been then?