• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2018/04/10/pubg-free-play-days-weekend-april-19-22/

PUBG is free to play this coming weekend on Xbox One. For anyone curious about the game (and the state of the game!) nows your chance. Full game available. Any BP progression will carry over if you purchase it.

Can we assume the Game Preview trial of the game isn't coming? Seems weird to hold that back because of server stability and then launch a free weekend for everybody anyway.

EDIT: Xbox Free Play Days are part of Xbox Live Gold so, yes, you need to be a Gold subscriber to download PUBG for free this weekend.

Last edited:

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I know the game has gotten several patches and has improved since launch, is it constant 30 FPS yet?

OP
OP
ghostcrew

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I know the game has gotten several patches and has improved since launch, is it constant 30 FPS yet?

It's not constant. It's 30fps a lot of the time but has drops (sometimes seemingly randomly). You can try it for free this weekend and find out!

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
It's not constant. It's 30fps a lot of the time but has drops (sometimes seemingly randomly). You can try it for free this weekend and find out!

Thanks! I have the game for XOne but I haven't played in a few weeks. Just way too many games to play! Plus Games w/ Gold, PS+ free games, etc. My backlog is crazy :(.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
I assume you need a Gold subscription to get in on this deal? It seems that way by the way it's written but I know they've given free online time with certain promos so wasn't sure if this was one of them.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Why wouldn't they drop the Xbox Live Gold requirement for this? I mean, make it actually 'free play'.

OP
OP
ghostcrew

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Why wouldn't they drop the Xbox Live Gold requirement for this? I mean, make it actually 'free play'.

Because 'Xbox Free Play Days' are a feature of Xbox Live Gold. They do them all the time for different games. They're a part of your Gold sub.

This isn't a F2P game. It's Xbox Live Gold subscribers getting to play a game that they'd normally have to buy, for free, for a whole weekend.

GamerEra

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just make it free to play already.
I'm assuming this is a test to see how many new players they can get.

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
MS is really doing some great work in some areas but there is still a good number of things that need to change. Need a subscription to play a free to play ? This is very anti consumer™.

But the game isn't free to play? And it's not able to be played without a subscription when the trial is over.

What's the point of letting people try it who don't have Gold and wouldn't be able to buy it and play it anyway? I mean sure, they could open it to everyone and hope some like it enough to both buy the game AND a Gold sub. But they're under no obligation to do so and the number of those people is probably small. Online gaming on Xbox has cost money since late in the original Xbox's life. People are used to paying for it, and those that refuse aren't likely going to change their mind for one game.

Rembrandt

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What do you mean by "this" ?
"Need a subscription to play a free to play ? This is very anti consumer"

This isn't a F2P game. It's online only multiplayer game that's having a free weekend.

Gold is required to play the game at all.

You're just saying shit you don't understand and you can't even explain how this is improper, outside of Sony not doing it.

Not doing the same as your competition isn't inherently anti-consumer.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
But the game isn't free to play? And it's not able to be played without a subscription when the trial is over.

What's the point of letting people try it who don't have Gold and wouldn't be able to buy it and play it anyway? I mean sure, they could open it to everyone and hope some like it enough to both buy the game AND a Gold sub. But they're under no obligation to do so and the number of those people is probably small. Online gaming on Xbox has cost money since late in the original Xbox's life. People are used to paying for it, and those that refuse aren't likely going to change their mind for one game.

Sometimes they drop the gold requirement for a weekend as well. This would be a good weekend to do it if they wanted to sell more games and gold subs.

Or conversely, they could actually be getting rid of gold altogether at E3 (a kinda weak rumor, but a possibility)

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Or conversely, they could actually be getting rid of gold altogether at E3 (a kinda weak rumor, but a possibility)

I have a hard time seeing that. I do think they'll end up doing some good bundle deals on Gamepass and Live together for a good bit less than buying both separately.

I can't see them dropping live though as there are a lot of people who won't care about gamepass, but would still buy Live to play online games with friends, so they'd be turning down money essentially.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
I have a hard time seeing that. I do think they'll end up doing some good bundle deals on Gamepass and Live together for a good bit less than buying both separately.

I can't see them dropping live though as there are a lot of people who won't care about gamepass, but would still buy Live to play online games with friends, so they'd be turning down money essentially.
I actually think that is the most likely outcome if there are changes to gold at e3. That being, gamepass includes gold, or you get it on its own.If they just discount gold with gamepass, it may end up being finding deals on gold for 4045 bucks might still be better so it would have to be at least 50% off to always be the best option.

goldenageoftelevision

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
how is performance now? i remember seeing hillarious youtube vids when it was released on xbox one

OldMuffin

Nov 1, 2017
Wish this coincided with a sale, would love to pick it up at some point and honestly this weekend I'd be too busy with GOW and panzer dragon to even look at anything else.