• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
pubg-mobile-vs-fortnite-first-week-revenue-r471x.jpg

Tencent's mobile port of Playerunknown's Battlegrounds' first week revenues on iOS equated to a fifth of Fortnite's outside of China, according to a recent report by Sensor Tower.

The mobile intelligence firm estimated that players outside China spent approximately $700,000 on the iOS version of PUBG Mobile during its first week with IAPs available.

That figure was around than one-fifth of the estimated $3.7 million spent in Fortnite during its initial seven days on Apple's platform. In all, PUBG Mobile is estimated to have earned about $1 million in its first week across both platforms outside China.

The majority of PUBG Mobile's revenue, 48 per cent, came from players in the US. Other top countries by revenue were Thailand (seven per cent), Great Britain (five per cent), Canada (four per cent), and Russia (three per cent).

By the time PUBG Mobile began monetising on the App Store it had already been installed by approximately 22 million iOS players outside China.

By comparison, Fortnite had 3.7 million downloads during its first seven days but had limited accessibility due to being invite-only on launch.

http://www.pocketgamer.biz/news/680...ek-revenues-on-ios-only-a-fifth-of-fortnites/

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dunno why anyone would pay for anything in Fortnite through the appstore unless it's the only platform you own it on. V-Bucks are cheaper when bought anywhere else.

Deltoid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
does anyone really care about these figures if they don't include China? and even then they wouldn't be that significant without knowing android user spend

Deleted member 4541

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was starting to like those "XXX,XXX concurrent PUBG players" threads we used to have, then Fortnite had to come fuck everything up.

That said, literally everyone I know irl that has a remote interest in games is playing, or has played, Fortnite. The demographic this game was able to capture is insane.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
I mean what about inside China since that's seemingly where the bulk of mobile PUBG revenue is.

Deceptikons

Oct 27, 2017
If they are the same as on pc/console this is no surprise. I mean gamble on a lootbox for a 99% chance to get something that looks like someone spent 5 minutes creating, or just straight up buy a skin with no gambling involved.

Deleted member 1726

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hardly surprising considering the two are separate entities so what you buy in the mobile version is locked to that version, unlike Fortnite where by you can buy stuff there and it's also on your main account on your PC/console.

Adda

Oct 28, 2017
No reason to spend money in pubg where as lots of people are drawn in by the battlepass on fortnite. I know they both just lead to cosmetics but people seem to like the value proposition of bars to fill.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Still crazy how fast Fortnite overtook it.

Free to play literally everywhere with cartoony style and easier, more dynamic gameplay.

It's not hard to see tbh, PUBG was crippled by being a PC only beta for and Epic took advantage.

They're both great games so it's good to see both being successful.

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The player models in PUBG just aren't big enough to care about skins, and the move to FPP only further drives down sales. In Fortnite you can at least clearly see your own person, and others. Also, in PUBG many matches can be played without seeing ANYONE, and dying to a sniper bullet from "I don't know where". Skins are just not worth it in that (nor are they in any game)

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
don't understand why they suvtracted china initially..maybe 1/4 sounds slightly less dramatic than a fifth?

that being said..do they have the same exact business model on mobile?

Olaf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They can't make PUBG free yet, because their cosmetics system is a joke.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Free to play literally everywhere with cartoony style and easier, more dynamic gameplay.

It's not hard to see tbh, PUBG was crippled by being a PC only beta for and Epic took advantage.

They're both great games so it's good to see both being successful.
low level gameplay in fortnite might be easier..but i'd say that high level is pretty damn impressive from what i saw.

Killer

Oct 27, 2017
Fortnite deserves the success. they constantly update the game and their battle pass is super fun to complete. One of the best monetization IMO.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
I love Fortnite but I find it impossible on iOS, the auto-aim just isn't strong enough.. and I'm playing on the 12.9 iPad Pro and not an iPhone where it would be even worse. On the other hand, didn't really care for PUBG on PC, it was just too generic-looking but it plays really well on the iPad. What I'm trying to say is I'm surprised by the difference.

BLLYjoe25

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just happy to have people shut up about PUBG. It's so old news. Fortnite is a much bigger success and I'm happy for Epic.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hardly surprising considering the two are separate entities so what you buy in the mobile version is locked to that version, unlike Fortnite where by you can buy stuff there and it's also on your main account on your PC/console.
I feel like thats a really important component to this discussion.

Deleted member 10549

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The player models in PUBG just aren't big enough to care about skins, and the move to FPP only further drives down sales. In Fortnite you can at least clearly see your own person, and others. Also, in PUBG many matches can be played without seeing ANYONE, and dying to a sniper bullet from "I don't know where". Skins are just not worth it in that (nor are they in any game)

Thats why they are introducing weapon skins, so you can look at a skin in FPP...

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
Masaka?! But they said PUBG is THE end all be all battle royal game.

Well looks like they should have been a little more humble in the past.