• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

This week we're celebrating yet another milestone for PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds (PUBG) on Xbox One: we have now passed 5M players! We're very excited that the community continues to grow – reaching over 5 million players in less than 3 months is a major accomplishment and we're happy so many of you are enjoying the game.

We've also greatly appreciated all the feedback received from the community which is helping us create the best and most realistic Battle Royale experience. We just released the ninth optimization patch on March 2, which improved vehicle feedback, sound effects, matchmaking and more, and last week we shared our spring development roadmap with details on what you should expect to see in the weeks to come, including the release of the 2nd map, Miramar. You can read more details here.

In recognition of reaching the 5M player milestone, we have a few treats to share. Today we're debuting a new video asset for PUBG featuring – you! Well, not all 5 million of you, but some of you – our amazing community of players around the world. We've loved watching your gameplay stories and moments in PUBG.

We're also celebrating interesting gameplay achievements since launch in an infographic meant for sharing.

image: https://news.xbox.com/en-us/wp-content/uploads/Xbox_PUBG_16x9_INFOG_FINAL_r1t4_bm.png

Xbox_PUBG_16x9_INFOG_FINAL_r1t4_bm.png

And finally, to celebrate our 5M player milestone, we're rewarding the community with an exclusive free cosmetic item – the PUBG5 jacket. Wear it with pride and share your screenshots and gameplay streams wearing it so we can see it in action! The PUBG5 jacket will be rewarded to all players who own and have activated a character in the game on Xbox One as of March 22, 2018 at 12:01AM PST.

image: https://news.xbox.com/en-us/wp-content/uploads/PUBG5_Jacket.jpg

PUBG5_Jacket.jpg

Thank you for playing PUBG and being a part of our growing community. See you in-game..

Read more at https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2018/03...ts-5-million-player-mark/#iuXIeLPYC1Q41QKi.99

Last edited:

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As I said in the other thread, it's an impressive number for a variety of factors:
- the game is unfinished
- it runs poorly (by the devs' own admissions)
- it's a late port
- those already playing it on PC will probably not double-dip given the amount of content missing on Xbox One for now
- Fortnite is blowing up like crazy, and runs at buttersmooth 60fps on X1 - plus it's free
- no hacking or trading means less incentives for hackers/farmers to (re)buy the game after getting banned
- Xbox One has approx. 35m units out there, which means that 1 in 7 consoles sold has or had PUBG installed probably (I know this is "players" and not "units sold")

The sales slowed down, sure, but I expect a surge once performance gets good and the desert map hits - which should be next month AFAIK?

yuraya

Oct 25, 2017
Around 33 million on Steam + 5 on Xbox.

So basically the game sold nearly 40 million in its first year. An incredible success story.

If they can get it out on Playstation this year they should be able to do like 60 million in 2 years.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Around 33 million on Steam + 5 on Xbox.

So basically the game sold nearly 40 million in its first year. An incredible success story.

If they can get it out on Playstation this year they should be able to do like 60 million in 2 years.

And we tend to forget this is, by all means, an indie game, sold at a medium-range price. For the longest time it only had one map and was unfinished (like it is now on Xbox One), and yet it broke all kinds of records. By the time it reaches 12 months, it'll indeed be almost at 40m.

For comparison's sake, let's take another phenomenon that keeps on selling like crazy and that is available on nearly all platform available this decade: Minecraft. That game sold about 22 million copies between February 2017 and January 2018. PUBG will have sold about 150% of that in a similar timeframe. That should help contextualizing the game's success.

predrag

Oct 27, 2017
It will be interesting to see how game will performance when smaller island comes down the road.

36 Chambers

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The game runs like absolute wank. The performance is a serious damper and the devs really need to step it up. Even on the One X the frame rate is shot and your lucky if you dont crash mid game.

Still the most fun I've had with a game in a long time. So tense when your in the last few in a tiny circle.

Amazing game and an amazing success.

Oct 25, 2017
I question the sales numbers - remember anyone who bought an Xbox One X got it free, plus I gameshare and play it that way, it would be nice to know how many people straight up bought it $30.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I question the sales numbers - remember anyone who bought an Xbox One X got it free, plus I gameshare and play it that way, it would be nice to know how many people straight up bought it $30.

Why is this point always brought up at every PUBG thread? Either Microsoft sold millions of Xbox One Xs during that sale period, or the 5 million different players still constitutes a not much smaller pool of player who actually paid for the game. For reference, even Minecraft is being bundled with consoles, and those also count as units sold.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
These aren't sales numbers, but as always, it should be reiterated how silly it is to try and discredit these numbers based on assumed mass gamesharing.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
And we tend to forget this is, by all means, an indie game, sold at a medium-range price. For the longest time it only had one map and was unfinished (like it is now on Xbox One), and yet it broke all kinds of records. By the time it reaches 12 months, it'll indeed be almost at 40m.

For comparison's sake, let's take another phenomenon that keeps on selling like crazy and that is available on nearly all platform available this decade: Minecraft. That game sold about 22 million copies between February 2017 and January 2018. PUBG will have sold about 150% of that in a similar timeframe. That should help contextualizing the game's success.
I think is more succinct to state it's been outpacing GTA5 (38m to 35m units first year) so far for the local crowd.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying that - I'm more just genuinely curious considering how bundled the game is.

I don't think we'll ever know how many copies were sold at which price, no. I don't think I've ever seen a developer or publisher go into such details when making announcements. 5 million different players played a game on a console that sold about 35m units (and we really want to get pedantic, we can assume a certain percentage of those consoles is effective unusued right now, either because it's shelved or because it broke). That, to me, is mighty impressive.

I think is more succinct to state it's been outpacing GTA5 (38m to 35m units first year) so far for the local crowd.

And GTAV was the latest, most hyped-up and advertised entry of a multi-billion worth franchise that released on two consoles (at the time) that had like what, 150m units out there? Sure, it also costed twice as much, but PUBG's numbers are insane.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Jesus. That's nuts. So much for PUBG wouldn't fare well on console.

Paulogy

Oct 25, 2017
Great for them!

It will be interesting to see if that momentum continues this year given the recent successes of Fortnite.

isahn

Nov 15, 2017
Roma
impressing numbers considering how far the xbox version is from the PC version performance and content wise.

LFMartins86

Nov 7, 2017
I highly doubt it's coming to the PS4 this year, if It's ever coming at all.
By the time they release it on the Playstation, some of the bigger developers will have a more polished version of Battle Royale out.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not saying that - I'm more just genuinely curious considering how bundled the game is.

It's just a pointless thing to ask as we'll never really know. And you can ask this in loads of sales threads and it's almost always irrelevent because you will never get the info. Forza Horizon 3, Horizon Zero Dawn, Gran Turismo Sport, Uncharted 4, Minecraft... They're all games that sold loads of copies and were all heavily bundled. Yes, some of these copies will be games that came with consoles. PUBG didn't come with every Xbox One X sold either. It came with every Xbox One X for a limited time. I bought my X before the promotion started. PUBG was already out by then and had already done big numbers. I'd previously bought it before I picked up an X. The promotion stopped for a while then came back for two weeks.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Going to end up as one of the biggest selling "exclusives" on any platform, by the time its exclusivity ends.

Mammoth numbers really.

But they do need to sort the performance out - its fun but would be even better if there was more consistency when bullets start flying. Also add an HDR slider please, for the love of god.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
So bundling games does not account to sales? Also this does not mean that everyone who bought the X also played the game.
To some no, Mario Kart Wii and Uncharted 4 threads use to always have a few "but bundle sales" post.
Never understood why it's a issue for some, it's not like there wasn't other bundles to choose from. So the bundled game must have played so part in the sale.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So mow maybe with all this money and success they can find the time and resources to implement... well, I don't know what to call this, since it's so unprecedented and nobody has ever accomplished this before...

...but what if... hear me out...

...what if the matchmaking system somehow took your connection into account, matching you only with players who aren't abusing extreme latency to shoot you from the future? Might even prevent a lot of players from connecting with players from a hypothetical, totally made up nation where the overwhelming majority of cheaters might hypothetically hail from.

I know, it's crazy. Probably impossible, too. Kind of like how it's impossible for me to play the PC version of this game until the problems mostly caused by a subset of Chinese players (and the horrible lootbox economy that gives them financial incentive to ruin the game for the rest of us) is acknowledged and addressed.

Last edited:

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
It's free, isn't it? I wonder if they are making money via Xbox Live Gold sub and new consoles sales.