• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
It's #28 in video games on Amazon for the Xbox One currently (I know, I know it's Amazon sales rankings but it's at least interesting). Interested see what the "physical" copy does this December.

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Mighty impressive.

I'm excited to finally get to play come December 12th on Scorpio.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
It's either going to absolutely blow up and drive Xbox One to be number one this Christmas

Or

It's going to be a Team Fortress 2/Counter Strike situation where it comes out to huge fanfare, enjoys modest to good sales and is quickly forgotten about on the console for the next big thing

Will be interesting seeing what happens.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
It's #28 in video games on Amazon for the Xbox One currently (I know, I know it's Amazon sales rankings but it's at least interesting). Interested see what the "physical" copy does this December.

Physical copy?? Wait what? I thought it was digital. But you have quotations here.

Icespark

Oct 25, 2017
This will sell Xbox One's in China. On WWE's latest financial call they mentioned Subscriptions in China for WWE Network are up due to increased Xbox One penetration and they were projecting more sub numbers as more people buy Xbox's in China.

kaputt

Oct 27, 2017
Incredible. I might give this game a try and then be another one in the crowd. Gotta see why the hell is everyone freaking out about this.

Last edited:

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
This game will sell over 100m when all is said and done (all platforms; give it 10 years)

Seph

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Ever the pessimist, I still believe that the PUBG bubble will burst sooner rather than later.

The gameplay hook is definitely attractive and I'd be lying if I said that it couldn't elicit tension from time-to-time, but there's only so many times that you can drop from a plane; raid a few houses; attempt to shoot a few folks and then get shot down right away (or wander aimlessly until you do) before the magic seems to wear off. I'm also not entirely convinced that the skill-ceiling is high enough to retain the massive part of the audience that migrated from CSGO, which only stood the test of time itself because of how difficult it is to truly master. And then there's the slow development cycle...

I may well be proven wrong about this in time, but I simply can't help but be reminded of DayZ (and how that turned out) every time I look at PUBG.

MentalZer0

Oct 27, 2017
And even with all that money the game isn't "done" yet

And... yeah no money for marketing because the gaming media promote this game lol

giphy.gif

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Damn. There are nearly 2x PUBG owners than Vita users

Few months later this will surpass the total ownership of Vita and Wii U combined

GNOSIS

Oct 29, 2017
What's so special about this game? Seriously asking.

I don't play FPS so this doesn't interest me but I wanna know why everyone does.
Especially when I read comments here that it only has 1 map or something.

What makes this game so addictive?

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game will sell over 100m when all is said and done (all platforms; give it 10 years)
I highly doubt the game needs 10 years for 100 million sales.
If the game reaches 100 million sales, it will be within 3 or 4 years most likely and accelerate more than GTA V thanks to its strength in Asia.

Ever the pessimist, I still believe that the PUBG bubble will burst sooner rather than later.
Bubbles need to become big first before bursting ;)

Deleted member 15440

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I don't play FPS so this doesn't interest me but I wanna know why everyone does.

it's open to lots of different play styles, every game is different, it feels very high stakes in the moment while being extremely easy to jump back in once you die, and a good number of complex interacting systems means that really unexpected things can happen

also while it's only one map the different modes (first vs third person and solo vs groups of 2/3/4) all work differently enough to add a great deal of variety

JavyOO7

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think my Mac Mini 2011 could run this as it'd probably explode my little machine that could just from trying to run the title screen, probably...

The game looks neat, whenever I build myself a machine in the future I am looking forward to this one.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Sales pace for this game reaching ludicrous speed.

It's a battle royale type game on a fairly big map, it's what gets people interested.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
nothingstopsthistrain.gif

But seriously, holy Hell.

I hope this means they are going to use Frostbite Engine for the sequel. lol.

Sim

Oct 25, 2017
That Xbox box art is already dated with its 15+ million units sold tag. By the time it releases, it'll be well over 20 mil.

Last edited:

KingM

Oct 28, 2017

The gameplay hook is definitely attractive and I'd be lying if I said that it couldn't elicit tension from time-to-time, but there's only so many times that you can drop from a plane; raid a few houses; attempt to shoot a few folks and then get shot down right away (or wander aimlessly until you do) before the magic seems to wear off. I'm also not entirely convinced that the skill-ceiling is high enough to retain the massive part of the audience that migrated from CSGO, which only stood the test of time itself because of how difficult it is to truly master. And then there's the slow development cycle...

I may well be proven wrong about this in time, but I simply can't help but be reminded of DayZ (and how that turned out) every time I look at PUBG.
When the bubble bursts it will end up being one of the best selling PC games of all time. This is a.game that before it has been officially released has sold better than some of the largest AAA games. It has a gameplay hook that is strong enough to support an audience of nearly 20 million players. The chances of a large segment just dropping it all of a sudden us pretty slim.

Unforgiven

Oct 27, 2017
What a great success story this is. Congrats to PlayerUnknown and the whole Battlegrounds team!

Stitches

Oct 27, 2017
Cleveland
I think the thing that impresses me the most is that there are this many people with capable gaming PCs that want to play this game. It's incredible to see the market blowing up, which will hopefully lead to more competent PC ports.

FireSafetyBear

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just imagine what it'll be once it hits consoles. If PC sales are that high, XBO/PS4 will dominate.

Pancoar

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I must be incredibly out of touch because this game doesn't intrigue me at all.

This just means everyone else will want a "piece of the pie", can't wait for all the pubg clones to come out /s

potam

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User was warned for this post: Inflammatory comments
most of the time spent in this game is just my friend and I wishing for battlefield royale. Really annoying seeing such a shitty game succeed so well just because the public is thirsty as fuck for the genre

Edit: I guess I have to write an essay defending my thesis statement otherwise it's a warning?

Bluehole has taken in tens of millions in revenue, for a game that uses UE marketplace assets, and the game still runs like shit, the server side latency is awful (a head to head firefight is essentially a coin toss), and they added micro transactions while in EA.

Inflammatory comments come the fuck on

Last edited:

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017

Selling 19 million copies and being a huge seller for, what, 8 straight months? Can't really be considered a bubble. It's already sold more than many IP's sell in their lifetime.

What exactly is the "bubble" here?

It could sell zero more copies and be one of the best selling franchises of this generation.

Oct 27, 2017
The Ether
Just imagine what it'll be once it hits consoles. If PC sales are that high, XBO/PS4 will dominate.

I think it will do well on console but it won't touch PC. A big reason is because the game is absolutely massive in China which isn't really console country. In fact a couple weeks ago it was #35 on steam in the US, and #1 in the world, primarily because of Asia.