• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
20 mil over the weekend probably? At this point I just sit and watch what heights can this phenomenon achieve...

gueras

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
150 hours later I'm burned, can't play anymore... a lot of hacks and tired of same map, same stuff, couple of victories on my bag at least.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
That explains the price jump in several items I have.

The gamescom boxes are finally above 5 Euro. Didn't expect this to happen before 1.0

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
I tried so hard to dodge the PUBG bullet, but pulled the trigger last week. No regrets, it's legit.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Still over a month out from the Xbox release. It could easily be at 25 million by that time.
I would be really shocked if this doesn't push Xbox X units during January and February at this point now. The game can be really beautiful on a high end machine and they are the only console you can buy it on for at least the first year.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Well deserved.

Also, this game really has a shot to reach 1% of China [14M]. :D What are the latest number on geographic split of the PUBG userbase?

sprinkles

Oct 25, 2017
What the hell? It was 17 a couple days ago, it's gonna be 20mil before the end of the day, isn't it? Add the fact it's going to be on Xbox One soon, it will be sold in shops, and that Christmas will inevitably bring tons of new players on PC and Xbox alike... where will this game stop at the end of the year? 25mil? 30mil? Pretty sure that by the end of the first 12 months it's going to break all kinds of non-mobile records, and I suspect the amount of downloads will compete with many popular and free mobile games.
The buyers are to not a small part brand new Steam users which Steamspy does not parse automatically. Every few weeks they get added and those adjustments affect the best selling games (e.g. PUBG) the most. This explains the jumps in the sale data.

PUBG is not just a well selling game, it also brings a lot of new users to the Steam platform.

Seph

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
When the bubble bursts it will end up being one of the best selling PC games of all time. This is a.game that before it has been officially released has sold better than some of the largest AAA games. It has a gameplay hook that is strong enough to support an audience of nearly 20 million players. The chances of a large segment just dropping it all of a sudden us pretty slim.
Yeah, I realise that won't happen - even LawBreakers had some semblance of a player-base for a few weeks after it launched - but the player-count could still drop off at some point if/when people get bored of the game, especially if Bluehole ends up doing a crap job of supporting it up until and after release. That may not take away from their overall successes but it would certainly bite their bottom line going forwards and kill any chances for the battle royale genre to develop further.

What exactly is the "bubble" here?

It could sell zero more copies and be one of the best selling franchises of this generation.
See what I wrote above.

What was the connection [to DayZ], again?
Like PUBG, DayZ became a standalone game after a preceding mod blew up back in 2012.
Like PUBG, DayZ takes place in a hostile open world (where players need to be wary of one-another and the costs of death are heavy).
Like PUBG, DayZ was acclaimed for how well it could orchestrate feelings of tension and adrenaline.
Like PUBG, DayZ enjoyed a ton of success for a while.
Like PUBG, DayZ didn't run well and was slow to be updated.
Like PUBG, DayZ died after people got bored of it and lost hope in it ever being finished...?

CGriffiths86

Oct 28, 2017
I've found myself playing less often, but still having fun when I do. I think a new map and the nearly released vaulting will bring me back.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It has entered zeitgeist so it will keep selling for years and years like Minecraft did, tens of millions more copies will sell. At some point these announcements are just going to stop being notable.

It is amazing though, how these unfinished PC games can capture imagination of so many people.

if only the games I like (immersive sims like Dishonored 2, Prey, Deus Ex) could manage this.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The buyers are to not a small part brand new Steam users which Steamspy does not parse automatically. Every few weeks they get added and those adjustments affect the best selling games (e.g. PUBG) the most. This explains the jumps in the sale data.

PUBG is not just a well selling game, it also brings a lot of new users to the Steam platform.

Quick and rough calculation, let's say an average of 20 USD is what a copy generates per account sold, keeping in mind some people get it through shady retailers and some regions are cheaper. 20 million of copies. Steam gets a 30% cut on each, which is 6 USD. Steam got around 120 millions USD from the game sales alone, and that's not counting all the new users who could potentially buy other Steam items, the trading, etc.. Insane.

Deleted member 16849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to buy the game again after seeing it in action in person on Xbox One at PAX. It runs better on there than my PC, should run even better on the X.

Olaf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's weird how popular this is, because it actually takes a decent computer to run it. There must be a huge amount of PC component sales driven by PUBG alone.

thejpfin

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
tQtMZV9.gif

Mfw pubg hits a new record.

Concurrent player numbers are going to be insane when they release the new map.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Whoa! Insane. I still wonder how this will do on Xbox One. I'm not entirely sure that it translates well to a console game. But it may sell several million on the hype alone!

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A great example of what capturing the Chinese market can do for a game. I bet this going to do bonkers numbers on the Xbox as well.

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
If PUBG really does hit 1.0 next month, then it's a lock for most, if not all, GOTY awards. I really want BotW or Odyssey to get tons of awards but PUBG took the gaming world by storm.
I don't understand this way of thinking... It's like consider Fast and Furious for Best picture because it's a huge box office success.

DarkwaterV2

Oct 26, 2017
To anyone who still says 'I don't get the hype, it's a barely functioning game, etc.', just give it a try. Play with some buddies. I'm sure by now you have Steam friends who have it and are willing to throw you a library share.

Edit:

I don't understand this way of thinking... It's like consider Fast and Furious for Best picture because it's a huge box office success.

I don't think Jacobson was absolutely equating all those millions of sales with high quality and deep innovation, but with sales figures this high, there must be something there. And there is. The game is crazy fun, varied and exciting. I keep saying this: give it a try. Only after 250 hours is the fun dying down a bit and even then, it's only a matter of time until I jump back in, which I will do for vaulting and 1.0 of course.

Also, comparing it to Furious is I think unfair. It's #8 for this year at the US box office (link) and I wouldn't be surprised if PUBG becomes a top-3 selling game of the year. Maybe even just plain 1st place. Unless you meant the actual first movie of the franchise, which came in 17th in that year.

Last edited:

Noble

Oct 27, 2017
Have you ACTUALLY done that? :|
I might have :P

Hahah jokes aside, I think it's possible for PUBG to sell that much. I usually buy games after a few months since they're cheaper. The only games I pre-order or buy at Day 1 are Halo and Battlefield, and PUBG will be the next one.

Lots of friends will be buying it at launch too.

Last edited:

Ceerious

Oct 27, 2017
Asian
Well,the Chinese government recently issued a "opinion piece" about this game, which means they probably gonna ban it soon.

The Chinese ios appstore is already filled with so many PUBG rip-offs. None of them plays remotely like the real thing.

Unless the (maybe inevitably) ban hammer drops, this game will keeps its momentum.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic numbers.

Also, China and Asian markets in general are starting to really grow on Steam. I've been noticing over this last year even on my super small games my sales in Asian territories are really starting to raise, and one game I have that has no dialogue and can be played by anyone in any language has surpassed American sales with China sales, and Korean and Japanese sales also have seen a big boost.

We're probably going to see a lot more games on Steam targeting these audiences soon. The userbase there has grown substantially recently.

theDidact

Oct 25, 2017
Well,the Chinese government recently issued a "opinion piece" about this game, which means they probably gonna ban it soon.

The Chinese ios appstore is already filled with so many PUBG rip-offs. None of them plays remotely like the real thing.

Unless the (maybe inevitably) ban hammer drops, this game will keeps its momentum.
It's probably wrong for me to hope it does get banned. But I kinda do simply because of the rampant cheating / latency abuse.

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
Battle royale games are starting to pop up due to PUBG. If fast and furious somehow influences all movies made after it then yeah your metaphor would be correct
The influence can't be measured right now or even in the moment of GOTY awards. This happens in every media where years later you look back and see that the most influential work did not receive the prize... Also copy cats trying for the newest thing is pretty normal.

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
Dunno about 30 million. I do see this game slowing down. Just not sure when. But that's a realistic outlook for the XBox version at least.
I don't know about that...I'm expecting this to reach at least 21 mil BEFORE the big update in December. And after that I expect something around 3 mil CCU on Steam + with X version being released in December 30 mil doesn't look that hard to reach.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I realise that won't happen - even LawBreakers had some semblance of a player-base for a few weeks after it launched - but the player-count could still drop off at some point if/when people get bored of the game, especially if Bluehole ends up doing a crap job of supporting it up until and after release. That may not take away from their overall successes but it would certainly bite their bottom line going forwards and kill any chances for the battle royale genre to develop further.

See what I wrote above.

Like PUBG, DayZ became a standalone game after a preceding mod blew up back in 2012.
Like PUBG, DayZ takes place in a hostile open world (where players need to be wary of one-another and the costs of death are heavy).
Like PUBG, DayZ was acclaimed for how well it could orchestrate feelings of tension and adrenaline.
Like PUBG, DayZ died after people got bored of it and lost hope in it ever being finished...?
none of this makes any sense at all, even remotely.
PUBG has had success in a magnitude several times superior to DayZ, it's in fact not even comparable. PUBG continues to be update fairly regularly. People are clearly not getting bored of it since it's literally been reaching higher and higher concurrent players every single fucking month. This is unprecedented even in sucessful online games.

Grassy

Oct 25, 2017

What the hell? DayZ has been in Early Access for four fucking years...PUBG has been in Early Access for 6 months with a 1.0 release date planned for December.

Not even close...

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017

Yeah, this is really obvious when you look at the game's chart for a longer time period.

Every time SteamSpy adds new users, a 3-4 day "integration bump" takes place. We are just coming off the latest one.

It also grows outside those bumps, so it's still selling to existing Steam users as well, but it's also clearly bringing in many new ones. (Steam HW survey data also corroborates this)

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I would be really shocked if this doesn't push Xbox X units during January and February at this point now. The game can be really beautiful on a high end machine and they are the only console you can buy it on for at least the first year.

I was under the(possibily mistaken) impression the X wasn't supported out the gate. So more likely to push the S for the time being.

potam

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What the hell? DayZ has been in Early Access for four fucking years...PUBG has been in Early Access for 6 months with a 1.0 release date planned for December.

Not even close...

if they actually make the game "1.0 ready" by december, I'll be impressed.

I still have to hit F twice most of the time to open a door/get in a car. The game is just rock solid and I don't see how they could ever possibly improve it

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017

See what I wrote above.

PUBG has already received more support (as in patches/fixes/content) than DayZ did. And DayZ was buggy as shit. PUBG is mostly stable. And its main developer isn't taking the money and running.