• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like they still intend to do this.

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/tech/2018/05/134_249598.html

Korean game developer PUBG, a subsidiary of Bluehole, has filed a copyright violation lawsuit against U.S.-based Epic Games, asking a court to determine whether the latter's "Fortnite" was copied from the former's "PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds."

A PUBG official said Friday that the firm filed an injunction, alleging copyright infringement, with the Seoul Central District Court against Epic Games Korea.

"We filed the suit to protect our copyright in January," said the official.

When the controversy flared in September, Bluehole said in a statement that the firm was mulling ways on how to respond to the claims that core elements and UI of the Battle Royale mode of "Fortnite" seemed to be similar to those of Battlegrounds.

Epic Games is currently preparing to make a foray into the Korean market in cooperation with Neowiz Games as the two firms signed an agreement in January to release "Fortnite" in so-called PC rooms here within the second quarter.

Thought they would have backed off but guess not. If there was a thread about this most recent update, you can close but searching didn't find anything.

Edit:

More from the PUBG guys:

PUBG Corp released a number of relevant files to prove that the Fortnite Battle Royale Mode holds 11 major similarities to PUBG. The similarities include the UI style such as minimap and crosshair overlay, health regeneration system, and a maximum amount of players in one game

https://www.invenglobal.com/article...-of-copyright-infringement-against-epic-games

Last edited:

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Could Epic just decide to stop leasing their engine to PUBG in retaliation? I don't know how that part of the business works.

Deleted member 8106

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Pubg corporation is just pathetic. The only way to get rid of Epic is improving your game, but they prefer going with the legal route. They will lose of course.

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda shocks me how far pubg on twitch has fallen and how popular fortnite is.

I know, twitch stats can be pretty meaningless. But still. Fortnite right now has like, 6x amount of viewers.

It is bonkers.

Byakura

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
just sort of sounds like PUBG being sore losers. Fortnite is eating your lunch so you cry copyright infringement, real classy.

Anti

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Australia
This is fkn pathetic, just like when they claimed they were the first ones to use a pan as a weapon, they are fucking delusional.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
They didn't even invent the game mode.
Is this the most upset a company has ever been when it comes to it's competitors?
This is the fastest a company has gone from top of the world to struggling for recognition, level of angst is fitting.

Probably regret not selling out to MS last fall and running away with the paper.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
So putting Fortnite in the spotlight wasn't enough for them?

I mean, I only tried out Fortnite because they made their intention to sue known the first time. Never went back to PUBG after that.

Nov 27, 2017
California
Sue
Sue
Sue
Sue
Haha they mad, their fault for taking forever to put pubg on consoles x not putting it on PS4

Could've easily been the most played on pc and consoles had it come to consoles before fortnite

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Brendan Greene is ridiculous.

He must be the one behind this. He's always complaining about battle royale modes.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Could Epic just decide to stop leasing their engine to PUBG in retaliation? I don't know how that part of the business works.
Doubt they can really do that without inducing panic attack in every other licensor. Best case, they have some papers signed which will speed up throwing out the case.