• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 12, 2017
User has been warned: do not complain about subjective in-progress reviews in a thread about something else.
Consumers deserve to know the state of the product at the time they are looking to purchase regardless of whether it will be fixed later. Review in progress is the right move if publishers want to make this sort of release, even more so if them or platform owners want to push it as a major release, just as we had with No Man's Sky.
So right now there is out a review that people will read as a 5/10 ...but we have already out a week later 2 patches that go to fix performance and other issues ...how long will take iGN to do another take? They wait a month staying with a 5/10 review ? Uhm i dont know I thinkwould be ok if they follow patch by patch reviewing every time .....but as like this is just a disservice for the users and the devs

No Man's Sky fixed stuff months later I mean moooonths

Last edited:

Deleted member 16849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cool be a placebo but framerate seems tad better again on the X from the match i just played. I could be wrong.

isahn

Nov 15, 2017
Roma
With that patch frequency IGN and DF need a weekly issue about PUBG performance/playability :\

Swanlee

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Wonder if IGN is going to start reviewing games on pre order? I mean pubs are charging money for them right? Seems that is the excusable criteria some people like to bring up that allows a game to be reviewed.

Ign score 0.0
Game is unplayable. I launch the game but it says I'm to early cause it isnt released yet.

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
  • Weapon recoil reduced across the board (Xbox Only)
I am very much against this move..

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Posting in an inflammatory style
Thread is about the new patch and people are talking about a review.... man
YX6ZTJ2.gif

It's perfectly okay to review a game when it's released to retail instead of 6 months later.

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Fix the hair glitch. It's both ridiculous and hilarious. If someone has a pony tail with a hat on and is driving a car, the pony tail hair floats like ten feet in the air above the car.

Oct 27, 2017
Thank God about recoil. I play a ton of seige and have no issues whatsoever in that game, and thank God for no aim assist in it. But the recoil in PUBG was obnoxious

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
YX6ZTJ2.gif

It's perfectly okay to review a game when it's released to retail instead of 6 months later.
I think the thing is ... While you may have a point, the game IGN reviewed is not even playable anymore as the patches are needed to start the game. The game is already in a different state than it was one week ago. This the the problem with reviewing labeled work-in-progress titles.

Oct 27, 2017
There is nothing wrong with the 5/10 review, they released an unfinished game and it will be scored as such. Early access is marketing so it does not sound like unfinished game. When it hits 1.0 then a proper review could be suitable.

Oct 27, 2017
I think the thing is ... While you may have a point, the game IGN reviewed is not even playable anymore. The game is already in a different state than it was one week ago. This the the problem with reviewing labeled work-in-progress titles.

Exactly maybe games shouldn't be released in this state then if they are charging money for it.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Exactly maybe games shouldn't be released in this state then if they are charging money for it.
So devs should stop releasing work-in-progress titles to let the players actively shaping the games development because some console players and certain media outlets can't deal with it and don't understand the early access concept? That's funny.

You get what you paid for. An unfinished product. There is nothing misleading here. It's labeled as unfinished everywhere.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
I think the thing is ... While you may have a point, the game IGN reviewed is not even playable anymore as the patches are needed to start the game. The game is already in a different state than it was one week ago. This the the problem with reviewing labeled work-in-progress titles.
You have a point, maybe Destiny 2 reviews need updating too lol

Swanlee

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
There is nothing wrong with the 5/10 review, they released an unfinished game and it will be scored as such. Early access is marketing so it does not sound like unfinished game. When it hits 1.0 then a proper review could be suitable.

IGN needs to keep pace with the current state of the game. The version of thr game they reviewed was only a available for a few days before patches came out.

If IGN wants the web traffic and click rate from reviewing game preview games they owe it to their readers to keep the reviews up to date to reflect the current state of the game.

Or better yet don't freaking assign a score to a game that might change multiple times a week.

Andrew Lucas

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
For fuck's sake, let it go of the reviews and focus on the continued support this version is getting, soon enough it will become that 10/10 too.

isahn

Nov 15, 2017
Roma
It seems that there are a lot of positive impressions, can't wait to try it myself. From my side the most annoying thing is the network lag/rubber banding (mostly in the early phase of a match). It has got any better? (I'm from Italy, EU server)

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if IGN is going to start reviewing games on pre order? I mean pubs are charging money for them right? Seems that is the excusable criteria some people like to bring up that allows a game to be reviewed.

Ign score 0.0
Game is unplayable. I launch the game but it says I'm to early cause it isnt released yet.
This is by far the stupidest analogy I've read in ResetEra. It should be archived and shown to future members.

Oct 27, 2017
Lol that's like reviewing a cake simply from the batter. Something is seriously wrong with some people. That or the "they released an unfinished game" people are just salty about something. Yes. It was unfinished... It even says it in the description lol

Startropper

Oct 25, 2017
Yep the user experience literally changed a day after that review was posted and now a week later it has changed again.

2 patches in a week and IGN can't even bother to update the score. The impact of the initial review is still being felt and now is based on a fleeting state the game was in for only a short time after launch

I agree

IGN wanted to attach a review to a popular unfinished game for traffic reasons and inform people what they're getting for their money.

Which in itself I think is fine, the problem is their review doesn't represent the current state of the game people are getting for their money. Now IGN is not even adhering to their own justifications they set onto themselves.

My question is why a review and not just an early impressions article?

They say review in progress but why even attach a score to it?

Frequent updates to the review is required here after every patch, if their reasons for creating the review in the first place....to tell people what they're getting. The review is no longer telling people what they're getting, so why have the review with a score? That number is being shared everywhere on the web and no longer reflects the current state of the game.

On the other hand, you could probably make that argument for any game. Big game releases get big patches after launch, should IGN be updates all their reviews all the time? Probably not.

I just think for an early access game, to attach a score to a game like that with so much frequent fluctuation....I just don't know if that's correct.

Swanlee

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This is by far the stupidest analogy I've read in ResetEra. It should be archived and shown to future members.

People are saying that if a game charges money its fair game for a review.

Early access/game preview games are just pre orders that allow you to play your pre order while the game is still in development.

You guys do know you get the final version of the game for the money you paid right?

It just shows how stupid it is to put a score to early access/game preview games. The game already changed dramatically in a single week.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol that's like reviewing a cake simply from the batter. Something is seriously wrong with some people. That or the "they released an unfinished game" people are just salty about something. Yes. It was unfinished... It even says it in the description lol
...no, it's reviewing a cake when you are given the half baked version to be eaten, with the promise you'll get a full baked version later.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Could the review talk be moved to another thread?

Any more impressions from the patch?

The thread got closed because it started to deviate away from review talk. Unless the mods re open its not happening.

Maybe a thread discussing if reviewers should review early access games should be opened that covers all games and not just PUBG.

Oct 26, 2017
The patch didn't do much for me on X. Frames still drop where I expect. My teammates still have game crashes while in vehicles on OG Xboxes. Don't expect a miracle, this bun needs a few more months in the oven. The control look mechanic needs a complete overhaul in my opinion. The wacky acceleration needs to go.

Oct 29, 2017
Played just one game but much better performance IMO. Had some runner banding at 1st but as soon as I hit the ground it stopped. Not perfect yet but a lot better. Shooting is much easier but I'm not sure if that's for the very best

Salmone_D_Oro

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
If the game was released in that state , you have all the rights to give it a 6/10 or a 5/10 . Problem is that this was an early access game , they should have compared the old version of the game with the newest one and release a score based on the comparison .

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
So right now there is out a review that people will read as a 5/10 ...but we have already out a week later 2 patches that go to fix performance and other issues ...how long will take iGN to do another take? They wait a month staying with a 5/10 review ? Uhm i dont know I thinkwould be ok if they follow patch by patch reviewing every time .....but as like this is just a disservice for the users and the devs

No Man's Sky fixed stuff months later I mean moooonths
If MS are charging money for a product, that product deserves to be reviewed in its release state, which is what IGN did. It's far from a "disservice", it's the opposite. They could have waited a few weeks / months / however long until these improvements and more were in place - they didn't. That isn't IGN's fault.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Just played a match on X with the second patch installed. Felt great. Definitely feels improved performance wise. Still a bit of rubber banding going on though for sure.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Just played a match on X with the second patch installed. Felt great. Definitely feels improved performance wise. Still a bit of rubber banding going on though for sure.

Rubber banding in early game. Then it smooths out. Server issues, but needs resolving.

Framerate feels pretty good after landing now.

woozey

Nov 3, 2017
Played just one game but much better performance IMO. Had some runner banding at 1st but as soon as I hit the ground it stopped. Not perfect yet but a lot better. Shooting is much easier but I'm not sure if that's for the very best
From what I understand the rubber banding is still going on in the pc version so my guess is that is low on the list atm.