• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Glad to hear its running better. Ill give it another shot this weekend, it was borderline unplayable for me at launch.

Swanlee

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Just played a round finished 13. Preflight area seems better ground textures loaded quicker same with the drop area on the game map. On the ground things are really smooth.

Rubber banding is reduced a lot. Gun play seems better with the new settings. I noticed the player alive count got reduced quicker due to gun fire. For myself I got in a close gun battle and lost like always.

Playing on an X1X game is really smooth now, anyone claiming " unplayable mess" after this parxh is being ricidulous.

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
I honestly think the review is justified if for no other reason than to inform customers due to how hard MS is pushing it. The EA and GP arguments go out the window IMO when the platform holder gives it premium advertising space and bundling it as a value add for the holiday season. Also I wouldn't expect more than 1 or 2 updates. The versions of Destiny and The Division that got reviewed are literally unplayable along with others highly likely to get patches such as NMS and MCC.

I'll post some impressions later if this thread is still open lol. I play a ton of shooters on PC and console but haven't touched this yet in any capacity. I have an X. How is the game running post patches on a Xbox One S? Most of what I've read is from owners of the X.

Swanlee

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If MS are charging money for a product, that product deserves to be reviewed in its release state, which is what IGN did. It's far from a "disservice", it's the opposite. They could have waited a few weeks / months / however long until these improvements and more were in place - they didn't. That isn't IGN's fault.

Review pre orders then. Early access is just pre orders you can play now.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
*keeps eyeing patches on performance of the OG XB1 as he holds onto his unopened copy that he was going to return to amazon*

Swanlee

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I honestly think the review is justified if for no other reason than to inform customers due to how hard MS is pushing it. The EA and GP arguments go out the window IMO when the platform holder gives it premium advertising space and bundling it as a value add for the holiday season. Also I wouldn't expect more than 1 or 2 updates. The versions of Destiny and The Division that got reviewed are literally unplayable along with others highly likely to get patches such as NMS and MCC.

I'll post some impressions later if this thread is still open lol. I play a ton of shooters on PC and console but haven't touched this yet in any capacity. I have an X. How is the game running post patches on a Xbox One S? Most of what I've read is from owners of the X.

The reviews are a disservice when the reviews quickly no longer reflects the state of the game.

If a site wants to start getting in the business of reviewing early access games they better update that review quickly after each patch.

Early access is not new and is a different category of game where it is understood and clearly communicated that the game is not complete. If you buy it you know what you are getting into. Its a playable pre order

jem

Oct 25, 2017
IGN needs to keep pace with the current state of the game. The version of thr game they reviewed was only a available for a few days before patches came out.

If IGN wants the web traffic and click rate from reviewing game preview games they owe it to their readers to keep the reviews up to date to reflect the current state of the game.

Or better yet don't freaking assign a score to a game that might change multiple times a week.

This is what I think is a bit ridiculous. Having an article discussing the state of the game is perfectly reasonable, scoring it is pointless though and is there purely for clicks.

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
The reviews are a disservice when the reviews quickly no longer reflects the state of the game.

If a site wants to start getting in the business of reviewing early access games they better update that review quickly after each patch.

Early access is not new and is a different category of game where it is understood and clearly communicated that the game is not complete. If you buy it you know what you are getting into. Its a playable pre order

Like I said, it's because of the ad space and push that MS is giving the game. It's plastered all over Best Buy and Gamestop etc. as being an add in with the One X and has those stupid GS audio commercials focused on it. No paid early access game has been given such a push to consumers. NMS received treatment beyond what a typical indie would because the push that Sony gave it. Similar reasoning here. If platform holders give a product a big push, finished or not, it will be scrutinized more heavily.

I wouldn't worry too much. I don't think reviews have anything more than a minor effect on sales. Games that are mid to high 70s meta(CoD, Division, Destiny, Battlefront) are literally the highest sellers this gen.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
  • Weapon recoil reduced across the board (Xbox Only)
I am very much against this move..

Yeah I'm in the same boat. Hopefully the reduction is minimal. Can anyone that's played the patches version give impressions on how much it's reduced?

There is nothing wrong with the 5/10 review, they released an unfinished game and it will be scored as such. Early access is marketing so it does not sound like unfinished game. When it hits 1.0 then a proper review could be suitable.

The trailer says it's an unfinished game right at the end. They are in no way marketing this as a finished game.

If MS are charging money for a product, that product deserves to be reviewed in its release state, which is what IGN did. It's far from a "disservice", it's the opposite. They could have waited a few weeks / months / however long until these improvements and more were in place - they didn't. That isn't IGN's fault.

The least they could do is be consistent about it. They waited a couple months to review Fortnite and haven't updated that review since. They have also skipped out on almost all of the other Early Access games, some that were as bad or worse at launch. If they want to review unfinished games, fine, but it's a double standard to focus on a couple and ignore the rest. At least if they were consistent with it, the average reader would have a better understanding over the context of these unfinished reviews.

Last edited:

Mr Eric

Oct 28, 2017
This is what I think is a bit ridiculous. Having an article discussing the state of the game is perfectly reasonable, scoring it is pointless though and is there purely for clicks.

this is what I think as well, especially when reviewing the very first iteration (obviously the worst one) of an unfinished game that will take some months to be ready for a full retail launch. They didn't do it for PUBG on PC or Fortnite (they waited a few months and patchs before doing so). So why did they do it for this version ? (obvious answer is : the clicks !).

DirtyDeeds

Oct 28, 2017
Armpit, USA
Can't wait to try it out, im glad they are patching it so fast. Seems like rubberbanding is going to be a hard problem to iron out completely, I was watching PC streams last night of the release of 1.0 and it was still very bad in the beginning of matches.

WesleyShark

Oct 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Yeah I'm in the same boat. Hopefully the reduction is minimal. Can anyone that's played the patches version give impressions on how much it's reduced?

Tested a tommy, m16 and ak. No resistance from me just let them buck freely.

http://xboxclips.com/Wesley+S+Shark/31abe719-90bb-4e9b-a548-1d74346eacd8

The recoil is far more predictable now.

Ended up with two kills with the Tommy gun before going to drown myself (wanted to test before I left for work this morning and didn't have time for a full match). Felt like a laser lol.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Can we not bring up the IGN review here.

This thread is to discuss the latest patch.

Thank you.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017

isahn

Nov 15, 2017
Roma
judging from this and other threads on PUBG performance/review I'm starting to think that that we the console gamers simply cannot handle an early access program. I can understand why Sony does not allow it on Playstation.

Personally I'm fine with the IGN 5, it's not a big deal afterall: the game is fun-packed and already functional. At this point with a million PUBG copies out in the wild we have already have a solid and it seems to me very passionate PUBG xbox community: I can get all the game information I need from the forum and my personal experience.
Ok... maybe I need some DF measurements and hard numbers to avoid placebo effects :\

DirtyDeeds

Oct 28, 2017
Armpit, USA
Can't watch the video right now but I'm not liking what I'm reading here.
It still seems to have a decent amount of recoil in full auto, it would still be hard to control at long distances. So single fire will still be the way to go for sure. Im not the best at aiming, but I also dont want someone to be able to just full auto melt me from far away either.

WesleyShark

Oct 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
It still seems to have a decent amount of recoil in full auto, it would still be hard to control at long distances. So single fire will still be the way to go for sure. Im not the best at aiming, but I also dont want someone to be able to just full auto melt me from far away either.
Full auto still has recoil for sure but instead of wobbling all over it seems to be more vertical, which is way easier to counterbalance with thumbsticks.

Single fire though? That's a spicy stability.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
judging from this and other threads on PUBG performance/review I'm starting to think that that we the console gamers simply cannot handle an early access program. I can understand why Sony does not allow it on Playstation.

Personally I'm fine with the IGN 5, it's not a big deal afterall: the game is fun-packed and already functional. At this point with a million PUBG copies out in the wild we have already have a solid and it seems to me very passionate PUBG xbox community: I can get all the game information I need from the forum and my personal experience.
Ok... maybe I need some DF measurements and hard numbers to avoid placebo effects :\

We Xbox owners have been enjoying game preview for 2-3 years now. We can handle it just fine.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017

TBH I hope people can't just hold down the trigger and melt people at close range either.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
I'm uninstalling and reinstalling anyway, because I'm now paranoid about how this all works. Thankfully it's 1/20th the size of Gears!!

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Recoil management is harder on console than PC with a mouse. It makes sense to reduce it somewhat.

Rikucrafter

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Australia
Going to throw this on overnight. Haven't been bothered at all by frame drops on my OG, so any performance improvements are just gravy.

tuco11

Oct 27, 2017
Launch the game. If it asks you to update then update. If it doesn't, you're on the latest version. Won't let you play without the latest version.

Sure about that? i was able to play without having the last patch installed. Only found out it wasnt installed when I watched a Youtube video. I had to unistall game and reinstall it for patch to take effect.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Sure about that? i was able to play without having the last patch installed. Only found out it wasnt installed when I watched a Youtube video. I had to unistall game and reinstall it for patch to take effect.

Oh, I'm not sure then! Must be mistaken. Just going by other games that won't let you play online without latest version.

If you press LB, RB, menu and view on the game tile in your Games & Apps it'll tell you which version you're on. I'm not sure which is the latest...

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017

To be fair, there is zero confirmation that the prior update or patch failed to install. All we have as proof is a UI element that only appeared after a fresh reinstall.

The simplest explanation is that part of the update—specifically, that UI part—failed to update, was bugged, or required something a bit more robust than a console reset to apply.

Otherwise, all other updated elements were present and online connectivity was not hindered.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder when IGN is going to update their review? If they want to review a game preview game which will be constantly patched they need to update their review to reflect all the changes game preview games go through in a short time.

Glad to see PUBG and MS taking the state of this game seriously.

I don't know this posters history, or previous warnings they've received, and I know this isn't the way to go about this (but fuck it, maybe it should be public)... how is this a banable offense? I really hope this was justified but it's hard to see how. I'd hate to see this place banning people for something as minor as sidetracking a conversation a bit.

Edit: ok, didn't realize the ban message was at the start of this discussion, not the end. I can see how it dominated discourse from that post on.

Last edited:

Deleted member 21

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Do not use this thread as an outlet to complain IGN's early review of PUBG on XBO. Back to topic.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I wish I had chances to play this over the holiday weekend, but there's no way with the internet service where I'm headed.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not according to the bar at the top of the review.

Edit:
114nhQh.png

Why are you trolling? This review was for the PC version. Read the review.

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
I downloaded the full game after the patch went live, yet for some reason I'm having to patch it again(so basically double downloading it). Wouldn't be a big deal but I'm at my parents' who have much slower internet than me. Don't games usually have the latest build on the store?

Technically Sony does allow it, they just don't attach a label to it. Both Fortnite and Paragon are early access games.

I believe Smite and Warframe were also up before full release.

Deleted member 8118

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Glad to see the recoil is smaller, long range combat was pretty tough.
Based on what the game's engine is simulating, it should be tough. Firing off a volley of shots into the distance while standing straight and getting shot at, it should be extremely difficult. I ended up hitting someone multiple times without trying doing just that.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
judging from this and other threads on PUBG performance/review I'm starting to think that that we the console gamers simply cannot handle an early access program. I can understand why Sony does not allow it on PlayStation.
Xbox players have handled it just fine for two years. I'm not going to speculate on where all this mania is coming from.