• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jackpot

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Eagle Dynamics.

I made a graph so I could predict when the next sale would be:

EDsales.png

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
gaming is very much an 'early adopter premium' market. whether its graphic cards, software or console you're burning money being in front of the line. some "waits" are longer than others, some price drops steeper than others, but that's just how it is

shotgunbob04

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a good way to ensure the games you like fail and don't get a sequel.

Or a good way to signal to the publisher that they should maybe put service elements into a sequel.

This is a ridiculous line of thinking. Everybody reading this: Don't ever feel like you have to buy a game at full price to ensure you get another game in that franchise. Do yourself a favor and save some money.

I'm so sick of people acting like it's our duty to shell out $60-$100 for every new game. You don't owe anything to any of these companies. Buy at the price you want to, and don't feel guilty or whatever.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
Opposite effect on me op.

Im not buying arms or splatoon for $60.

Im sure there is a large section of the market that wouldn't have gotten wolf 2 for 60 2 years later.

Yup. It ensures that the ONLY Nintendo games I ever play are the surefire good ones.

Like, I want to experiment with some of their releases this year, but the knowledge that they will forever be full priced ensures I never play them.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
One thing I know for sure I won't buy any new release in October or November. Seriously, near Black Friday you can get so many new releases 50% off. Even AC Origins was very cheap.

BTW, about Bethesda... Maybe it's just part of their plan? Maybe they know they will sell many copies via various sales? I hope so. I guess we have to wait till E3 to really see - if they will announce new single-player game, that would mean they still can sell. Maybe just not during launch window. Because I think we always are talking how some games "bombed" after 1 month or 2 months... but what about 6 months or a year? It would be interesting to get some data but it's hard to get info on digital sales on consoles for example. And as I'm looking around I see more and more people buying digital on PS4, Switch and X1.

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
Almost anything on steam. Just wait for one of the seasonal sales to get 50%+ off almost everything. Usually only from smaller, non-traditional devs and publishers though.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
This is a ridiculous line of thinking. Everybody reading this: Don't ever feel like you have to buy a game at full price to ensure you get another game in that franchise. Do yourself a favor and save some money.

I'm so sick of people acting like it's our duty to shell out $60-$100 for every new game. You don't owe anything to any of these companies. Buy at the price you want to, and don't feel guilty or whatever.

You are both right.

He is speaking an unfortunate truth only relevant to the industry enthusiast side of us.

The consumer side obviously should not give a fuck.

Almost anything on steam. Just wait for one of the seasonal sales to get 50%+ off almost everything. Usually only from smaller, non-traditional devs and publishers though.

The only games on Steam that seem to be forever full priced are the Call of Duty games.

I really want to play Infinite Warfare's campaign, but fuck activision if they think I intend to pay a cent more than $20.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this year really cemented the idea that any game released in Sept, Oct, and early Nov dropped by 33-50% on black friday. I'm glad I bought South Park and played through it and even traded it in before black friday but regretted buying AC Origins, Forza 7, and a few other games. Next year I will only buy 1 or 2 games that I know I will finish during that same timeframe.

but anyways at this point everyone but Nintendo seems to be dropping their price rapidly.

The Boat

Oct 28, 2017
Yup. It ensures that the ONLY Nintendo games I ever play are the surefire good ones.

Like, I want to experiment with some of their releases this year, but the knowledge that they will forever be full priced ensures I never play them.
Let's not exaggerate here. "Sure fire" games like Mario and Zelda are the ones that retain their full prices longest, but even those get discounts and eventually price drops, even if they're not big ones. All you have to do is check out Wii U or 3DS Select Line.

Smaller games or ones that don't do well can usually be found cheaper much faster.

Tesser

Writer/Critic at Hardcore Gamer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I was always intending to get The New Colossus but I had a sneaking suspicion that they'd reduce the price of it on Steam to coincide with Black Friday/Winter/Xmas sales. I didn't think they'd go as far as to reduce it by half. Was/is that due to something else then: lower-than expected sales, PC issues...or is it just confidence in the upturn in activity sales periods often bring?

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017

I mean, both things are true.

People don't want to spend 60, and the publishers realise this. Customers wait for sales, pubs look for other revenue stream.

The market goes where the customers go, ultimately.

There's also no need to feel bad. Prices wouldn't be slashed if it didn't help the bottom line.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
I was always intending to get The New Colossus but I had a sneaking suspicion that they'd reduce the price of it on Steam to coincide with Black Friday/Winter/Xmas sales. I didn't think they'd go as far as to reduce it by half. Was/is that due to something else then: lower-than expected sales, PC issues...or is it just confidence in the upturn in activity sales periods often bring?

The game is not doing too hot.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I get what you mean, but one mans 60 dollar is not the same as anothers. I cant blame a person for not spending two or even three time the amount on something that you know will significantly drop in price a couple of weeks later.

Yeah people have different circumstances and of course I respect that.

Hey, I'm not trying to blame people. They can do whatever they want. But they shouldn't be surprised if publishers take a message from their actions.

Farsi

User banned at own request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In today's climate it's an easy choice, it's Bethesda. It doesn't even take them 2 weeks for their games to drop to $40.

Even in the grey market on PC, they're half off on PC come release date.

Chocobo115

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Ubisoft I guess. I didn't pick up Assassins Creed : Origins because from their earlier output I excpect the game to be even more cheaper next year.
Same with the new Shadow of Mordor, know it'll be even cheaper in an additional 6 months.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Bethesda really short themselves in the foot with me in regards to Wolfenstein 2 and Evil Within 2. I want both of these, but seeing how quickly they're plummeting in price, I don't want to touch them at $25-$30. They'll be $10-$15 in no time, just like Doom, Fallout 4, and Prey.

Not that keeping prices high adds any sense of value to a game either. Arms will never be worth $60 in my eyes, so it's guaranteed to never get a sale from me.

Oct 28, 2017
When my primary gaming platform was the PC I pretty much refused to buy full priced games. Not just because they were discounted so quickly, but because often times you can get discounts on pre-ordered versions of games. I did that with Cupbead this year, got it discounted at day 1.

When I moved to the Switch as my primary gaming platform I gave up on that stance because I didn't want to wait months for games to play. For first party Nintendo games I signed up for GCU to mitigate some of the costs of those titles. For third party Switch titles I tried to hold off on a few that I expected to be discounted and bought a few that I expected to hold their price (or ones I just had to have like Doom and Rabbids). So far the only wrong guesses I have made were on Ultra Street Fighter 2 (really expected a sale on it Black Friday) and Xenoverse 2 (I bought it full price not expecting such a price drop on Black Friday).

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who isn't Nintendo or maybe Blizzard.

I'm not a charity, I will always choose 3-4 games that are a few months old and have had a few bug fix patches over buying 1 new release. The "AAA" games industry gives zero incentive to buy on release or pre-order, especially when their "day one" editions are in many cases still clogging up shelves a year after release (hello FFXV!).

Oct 30, 2017
Maybe they should rethink single player games and make plans towards long term profit instead of short sighted launch week gains.

The consumer shouldn't be bound to "this model only works if we get maximum amount of profit as quickly as possible".

Those games aren't going to make a profit, the sales are to stem the bleeding. Thats 3 dead franchises.

BLLYjoe25

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if i had known Bungie would let Destiny go from £55 down to £27 after a month then i'd have probably held off.

AdropOFvenom

Oct 27, 2017
I would never fault gamers for waiting for a sale, many of us can only afford so much and that's the only way people will buy all the games they'd like.

I don't understand why publishers repeatedly undercut themselves like this. Sure, it's more sales but you would think a month after release you would still have some word of mouth hype going on. Threads like this just re-enforce that they've created a culture where people will just wait for the sale rather then paying full price, especially knowing that said sale is only a month or so away. I would definitely think they should be holding price for probably a good 6 months post-release from my armchair gaming company executive position. (Though selfishly, im glad they don't).

Oct 28, 2017
I really want to get Doom and Skyrim on Switch, but I'm not spending full price on ports of old games, and I know Bethesda games usually don't stay full priced for long. On one hand I feel that makes me cheap or greedy because I know they're great games and a lot of effort was put into porting them, but on the other hand why should I spend full price on games that are less than half the price on other consoles (with more features)? I know they have to recoup costs and turn a profit, but I feel like they're losing out on many potential sales.

Maybe it's to sucker in as many people that are willing to dish out the money at that price, then slash the price when sales slow down. I'm fine paying full price for new games if I know I'll get my money's worth even if they go on sale relatively soon after, but I refuse to do the same for ports.

You're not being greedy man. You're being reasonable and smart.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
I can't fault people waiting for a sale but it pains me when I see people refuse to ever jump in on certain types of games day 1. Bethesda's output is the perfect example. I really care about supporting those types of titles so I go out of my way to pick them up immediately. However, they keep underperforming and get marked down quickly so people are becoming trained to just wait so the next game sells even worse. It's a bad spiral and I really wish I had a solution to it. I want these types of games to survive.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I would never fault gamers for waiting for a sale, many of us can only afford so much and that's the only way people will buy all the games they'd like.

I don't understand why publishers repeatedly undercut themselves like this. Sure, it's more sales but you would think a month after release you would still have some word of mouth hype going on. Threads like this just re-enforce that they've created a culture where people will just wait for the sale rather then paying full price, especially knowing that said sale is only a month or so away. I would definitely think they should be holding price for probably a good 6 months post-release from my armchair gaming company executive position. (Though selfishly, im glad they don't).

Probably because of the hype cycle of gaming - people would move on to other titles. There's too much competition in gaming and data shows that single player games fall off a cliff in sales in weeks.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
I don't like the gameplay loop of Arkane Studio games or ID games a lot doesn't mean I don't like single player games or want micros :/ tough place.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
It does feel like buying a game day one is making less and less sense. Not only are price cuts coming sooner and stronger than ever in the UK, more and more games are launching needing patches to get them at an acceptable standard. So not only are you paying double to play it a month earlier, you're playing a worse game.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
My budget is limited so I wait on sales (or discount hunt) for pretty much everything, regardless of publisher.

Beartruck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any non-nintendo AAA. I feel bad for anyone who paid $60 for the new Assassin's Creed. 1 month later and its selling for $35 for black friday.

dab0ne

Oct 27, 2017
I mentioned this in the used games thread. Games are rarely finished on day one and require huge downloads for the patch. Can't justify buying a game at $60 when I can wait a few months for them to be finished and get it at a discount of 50% or more.

Last edited:

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I generally don't buy games at more than €15 (except Nintendo games, they never get discounted so it's better going D1) and I don't mind waiting even 2 years to get games at those prices. There's a lot to play in the low budget market to keep me busy.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Say what you will about Nintendo only ever lowerung the cost of their games by 5 or so dollars (or by 20 or so if you want to wait three years for it to be put in a Selects collection) but it ensures 2 things for me as a consumer

1. That I have no incentive to wait because the game will be the same price in a year as it is now.

2. That the game I purchased never loses value, meaning it'll bring in a decent value if I should decide to sell it or trade it in.

Which also means that Nintendo isn't incentivized to insert bullshit GAaS transactions into the flow of the game proper.

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Publishers made their bed and have to lie in it with these high budgets and devalued games from early, steep sales.

I'm a frugal person and always going to shop in smart ways. Especially the older I get and the less interested I am in shelling out on hobbies vs. travel, making memories with friends and family and saving to retire younger.

There's more games out and coming out and sequel-itis is a gigantic problem in this industry that hampers my enjoyment so I couldn't care less if buying cheap, selling after beating etc. lessens chances of a sequel or causes developers to go under etc. They aren't charities, they're corporations. I make my donations to organizations working to improve the world, not corporations selling products for profit.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
Say what you will about Nintendo only ever lowerung the cost of their games by 5 or so dollars (or by 20 or so if you want to wait three years for it to be put in a Selects collection) but it ensures 2 things for me as a consumer

1. That I have no incentive to wait because the game will be the same price in a year as it is now.

2. That the game I purchased never loses value, meaning it'll bring in a decent value if I should decide to sell it or trade it in.

Which also means that Nintendo isn't incentivized to insert bullshit GAaS transactions into the flow of the game proper.

Yep. I've paid full-price for exactly one game this year, BOTW for Switch( I also got Mario Kart 8 DX at $48 with prime discount). Otherwise I haven't bought a single game over $20. I'm about to pull the trigger on both Uncharted LL and Horizon on $19.99 each off PSN, and I'll surely enjoy them just as much as if I had bought them full-priced. I've learned to become VERY patient over the years.

Zeb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I think they drop their prices too fast ( Bethesda, I mean) but on the other hand of a game sells they don't need to do this. And the game doesn't sell because people wait (and 1000 other reasons but it is one of them). So IT'S A CIIIIIRCLE OF LIFE (in schizophrenic Elton Johns voice).

Kater

Oct 25, 2017
I wait for most games to go down to -50% of the launch price. 3DS games were an exception to that because the full price was already a bit lower than for PC games. (€40 for 3DS vs. €50 for big PC game copies).