• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cronyism has consequences. Bad ones. https://www.vox.com/energy-and-envi...e-power-outage-puerto-rico-whitefish-blackout
Millions of Puerto Ricans are again without power after a high-voltage transmission line that had been repaired by Whitefish Energy, a Montana contractor now facing an FBI investigation, failed.

The Puerto Rico Electric Power Authority reported that power generation across the island plummeted from 40 percent to 18 percent on Thursday, a major blow to the island's grueling recovery after Hurricane Maria struck 50 days ago.

That means that the vast majority of the island's 3.4 million residents are again without power, extending what was already the longest power outage in US history. The blackout struck the northern part of the island, including parts of the capital, San Juan.

Without electricity, many health and sanitation systems will go offline or go back to relying on diesel-powered generators.

Last edited:

Chaparral

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
And guess what? Trump ain't nowhere to be found.

Trump is responsible for the death of hundreds of Americans. And nobody cares because of their skin color.

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
They are trying to give a million people power by using ONE line that is jumping between 5 stations. Of course this will happen. They are patching the system so it stays up and don't actually deal with the problems the electric system has.

This is the state of Puerto Rico right now. 50+ days without power and with sporadic Internet access. I wish I had thread posting privileges so I could give you guys/gals the REAL state of the island. It is way worse than what the media is saying.

Vadara

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They are trying to give a million people power by using ONE line that is jumping between 5 stations. Of course this will happen. They are patching the system so it stays up and don't actually deal with the problems the electric system has.

This is the state of Puerto Rico right now. 50+ days without power and with sporadic Internet access. I wish I had thread posting privileges so I could give you guys/gals the REAL state of the island. It is way worse than what the media is saying.
Ask someone to make a thread for you with the adopt-a-user sticky.

Deleted member 20603

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
After I saw the John Oliver episode on this company, I'm not really surprised. Apparently they got the bid because of some relationship to Ryan Zinke, secretary of the interior.

Maybe Elon Musk has some more ideas? Haha

Oct 25, 2017
d
And guess what? Trump ain't nowhere to be found.

Trump is responsible for the death of hundreds of Americans. And nobody cares because of their skin color.
It's not even just the skin color. 75 to 80% of people in Puerto Rico identify as white (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Puerto_Rico) unless something has abruptly changed in the last 7 years, and most Puerto Ricans I know are pretty white. I suspect it's more that it's not considered part of America and most people outside Florida don't know much about it and think it's some random island that's not in their backyard and not their problem.

Deleted member 13131

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's happening in PR is a national disgrace. Nearly 2 months and most of the island still without power is just horrifying. :(

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
so is there like any kind of...consequences Whitefish will face for this? Or are they just gonna laugh all the way to the bank