• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Okay I'm finished with ep 11. LOL I had a feeling they might do that. I'm not sure if I should be happy for Frank or disappointed by the lack of committing to dramatic plot swerves.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
Finished season 2 last night, very disappointing when compared to the first season. The Billy Russo plot line was uninteresting to me.

GekigangerV

Oct 25, 2017
Okay I'm finished with ep 11. LOL I had a feeling they might do that. I'm not sure if I should be happy for Frank or disappointed by the lack of committing to dramatic plot swerves.

Are you talking about the fallout of the warehouse scene? If so, I agree that it was an interesting idea and Punihser acts like how I think he would act in the situation. Fairly similar to the plot to Warzone. However, he completely forgets his rashness is what got him there in the first place with the final episode

Punisher is blindly shooting through the wall of a motel to get Preacher, but doesn't think it will hit anyone in a room or two over. Blindly shooting the window made him think he hit those women. No thought was put into that. Also, the scene is comical in itself since Punisher and Preacher are never on screen at the same time for most of it. I imagine filming the sequence would look pretty comical from afar. "John fire those blanks while yelling at the wall."

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
I don't necessarily agree with you, but I will say this: I find it interesting how people say he's the perfect adaptation of the character. Admittedly I've only read Punisher comics by writers Ennis, Miller and Peyer, but to me Jon Bernthal is almost nothing like the comic book character. Bernthal is emotional, vulnerable, empathetic, talkative. The comic book character is stoic, almost robotic and very deadpan. As such, Ray Stevenson is still the more 'accurate' representation of the character in my eyes. Which isn't to say Bernthal's take is 'wrong', the point of adaptation is to transfer the qualities of something from one medium to another, so he's just as valid an interpretation as Stevenson, but I wouldn't call him 'perfect' by a long shot.
Either way, the actor's talents have been wasted in these two seasons in my opinion. You could craft some amazing storylines with him, but for some fucking reason Netflix keeps hiring rubbish writers and showrunners.

Agreed wholeheartedly, was hoping someone would say it. I enjoy Bernthal's take on the character; but outside of some of DD S2, they wrote the character and the plot structures completely unlike the comics. I don't blame the actor so much as the writers room. They made a pretty okay show, about someone who's not Frank Castle.

I also agree Ray Stevenson in Warzone is the closest adaptation so far, and even that had issues.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I don't necessarily agree with you, but I will say this: I find it interesting how people say he's the perfect adaptation of the character. Admittedly I've only read Punisher comics by writers Ennis, Miller and Peyer, but to me Jon Bernthal is almost nothing like the comic book character. Bernthal is emotional, vulnerable, empathetic, talkative. The comic book character is stoic, almost robotic and very deadpan. As such, Ray Stevenson is still the more 'accurate' representation of the character in my eyes. Which isn't to say Bernthal's take is 'wrong', the point of adaptation is to transfer the qualities of something from one medium to another, so he's just as valid an interpretation as Stevenson, but I wouldn't call him 'perfect' by a long shot.

Either way, the actor's talents have been wasted in these two seasons in my opinion. You could craft some amazing storylines with him, but for some fucking reason Netflix keeps hiring rubbish writers and showrunners.
I enjoy this take on Punisher, but I do somewhat agree with you here. I would love to see another take on Punisher where he's basically the human Terminator he is in the comics and Warzone. I think they knew that type of character couldn't star in a show on his own and be too compelling, but I think the lighter foils they pair him up with can/should carry that more.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
On ep 6
Yep just sliding on downhill after the strong start lol
This fucking Russo storyline is still cracking me up. Not sure if its the writing or he is just a bad actor
This preacher guy is hilarious.

You know, Punisher, we really are the Frank of Us

Last edited:

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017

Ennis Punisher was quite different from previous takes on the Punisher, even after Ennis left the character, other writers tried to liven Frank back up again. Ennis wrote the character from a more realistic perspective of how he should be instead of how he was in the older comics, where he was a super hero who kills. Old Punisher was talkative, made jokes, had emotions. Ennis went totally dark which is appropriate for the character, but also to note Ennis take on the Punisher was meant to be an older Frank who has been doing the Punisher gig for a couple decades already. He is beyond gone in Ennis run, old, damaged, total psycho killer.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Still disappointed that the season didn't turn out anywhere close to what they hinted at leading up to the premiere. Something something alt-right.

yumms

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Still disappointed that the season didn't turn out anywhere close to what they hinted at leading up to the premiere. Something something alt-right.
Netflix didn't hint anything, it was a click bait website that spread thhis alt-right thing.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
S2 is considerably worse the S1, actually shocked this is from the same team. I don't care for the show now that ive managed to make it up to ep7. I say this as a massive fan of S1. If this is what we have in store then quite frankly (no pun intended) I'd wouldn't be affected by the shows termination.

S3 Daredevil was Netflix at its best . I thought the same chemistry would be on Punisher S2.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Sounds like a typical Netflix Marvel show then, might skip this. Was in for finishing their content type thing but I think I'm good. Will leave it on a kinda high note of Daredevil s3

Deleted member 32679

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Why is it that the daredevil season 2 punishers scenes seem more like an actual punisher show than this season?

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The one thing that will stick with me about this season is the show's questionable moral choices, which is really saying something for a show about the freakin' Punisher. More than the bland action, the mostly middling writing, the sludge-like pacing, it's the final episode's decisions regarding a certain character just chafes at me.

Every way the show has handled this character has been dicey at best, but up until episode 13 I was watching, waiting, hoping for it to make a grand statement about the nature of this character. But no, it doesn't, really. It goes out with a whimper.

The Preacher. John Pilgrim. I cannot believe they let this guy live. More than that, I cannot believe they gave him a pseudo-rebirth. There's an element of empathy towards a man who the show undeniably paints as a violent racist murderer BEFORE HE DISCOVERS the small all-White Christian Fundamentalist town, lead by a pair of fake religious zealots. There's a moment in a late-game episode where he says to Curtis that if Pilgrim were younger he would've just killed him because he is black. Fortunately becoming a Christian Fundamentalist has changed his ways. Now he just kills people as ordered. No longer a racist ain't that great though?! What the fuck? He gets to live? Because he has kids?

FUCK. THAT.

D. That's what I give this season. I like John Bernthal as Frank, I always have, but his talents are just wasted here. Amy was good, and it's always good to have Curtis around to be a (non-overbearing) moral center. And I like that Madani gets her moment in the spotlight. But everything else goes out the window. Hated the Billy/Dumont relationship and how much time was spent with them. Hated just how much downtime there is in this show, with people just sitting in a room leaving me to wonder where the corners were cut. In a year, a month, a week, I won't remember a single action sequence from this. It'll probably just blur with the ones from season 1.

If this is it, if this is the end for Marvel Netflix's The Punisher, then it was a shit way to go.

Last edited:

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Bernthal, like Ben Affleck, deserved a much better send off

This is pretty much Justice League tier

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My initial excitement was certainly put in check when I got to episodes 9-11. Whyyy couldn't this have been 8 episodes long?

The sensible fucking things to do always seem to be beyond the people who are given the keys to these amazing things. So many of us here could have done so much better with just 8 episodes.

Still loved the ending and Jon Bernthal.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Are you talking about the fallout of the warehouse scene? If so, I agree that it was an interesting idea and Punihser acts like how I think he would act in the situation. Fairly similar to the plot to Warzone. However, he completely forgets his rashness is what got him there in the first place with the final episode

Punisher is blindly shooting through the wall of a motel to get Preacher, but doesn't think it will hit anyone in a room or two over. Blindly shooting the window made him think he hit those women. No thought was put into that. Also, the scene is comical in itself since Punisher and Preacher are never on screen at the same time for most of it. I imagine filming the sequence would look pretty comical from afar. "John fire those blanks while yelling at the wall."

I'm glad you mentioned this because I remembered to keep an eye out for it after I read your post. You're right! It's one thing to walk back a major plot/character moment, but to have the character continue to act like he hasn't learned a freakin' thing is just infuriating.

Deleted member 8118

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The one thing that will stick with me about this season is the show's questionable moral choices, which is really saying something for a show about the freakin' Punisher. More than the bland action, the mostly middling writing, the sludge-like pacing, it's the final episode's decisions regarding a certain character just chafes at me.

Every way the show has handled this character has been dicey at best, but up until episode 13 I was watching, waiting, hoping for it to make a grand statement about the nature of this character. But no, it doesn't, really. It goes out with a whimper.

The Preacher. John Pilgrim. I cannot believe they let this guy live. More than that, I cannot believe they gave him a pseudo-rebirth. There's an element of empathy towards a man who the show LITERALLY paints as a violent racist murderer BEFORE HE DISCOVERS the small all-White Christian Fundamentalist town, lead by a pair of fake religious zealots. There's a moment in a late-game episode where he says to Curtis that if Pilgrim were younger he would've just killed him because he is black. Fortunately becoming a Christian Fundamentalist has changed his ways. Now he just kills people as ordered. No longer a racist ain't that great though?! What the fuck? He gets to live? Because he has kids?

FUCK. THAT.

D. That's what I give this season. I like John Bernthal as Frank, I always have, but his talents are just wasted here. Amy was good, and it's always good to have Curtis around to be a (non-overbearing) moral center. And I like that Madani gets her moment in the spotlight. But everything else goes out the window. Hated the Billy/Dumont relationship and how much time was spent with them. Hated just how much downtime there is in this show, with people just sitting in a room leaving me to wonder where the corners were cut. In a year, a month, a week, I won't remember a single action sequence from this. It'll probably just blur with the ones from season 1.

If this is it, if this is the end for Marvel Netflix's The Punisher, then it was a shit way to go.
You wrote all of the ways I was feeling about this season.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017

The Preacher. John Pilgrim. I cannot believe they let this guy live. More than that, I cannot believe they gave him a pseudo-rebirth. There's an element of empathy towards a man who the show LITERALLY paints as a violent racist murderer BEFORE HE DISCOVERS the small all-White Christian Fundamentalist town, lead by a pair of fake religious zealots. There's a moment in a late-game episode where he says to Curtis that if Pilgrim were younger he would've just killed him because he is black. Fortunately becoming a Christian Fundamentalist has changed his ways. Now he just kills people as ordered. No longer a racist ain't that great though?! What the fuck? He gets to live? Because he has kids?

FUCK. THAT.

I thought that was ridiculous too. And then it gets even more tone deaf when the end smash cuts to Frank gunning down a bunch of minorities lol

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
I know it's NetFlix standard operating procedure, but why do they insist on these seasons being so thoroughly serialized?
Why even have episodes? Just have it be one long 13-hour movie.
Punisher would work so much better as an episodic show, or at least a blend of episodic/serialized.

Oct 29, 2017
Just started this and I think I only got through episode 2 last night. Something about this season just feels sloppy so far. Why is Russo wearing some fucking weirdo mask? Its difficult to take it seriously with all the juvenile cracks and teeth and "IM A SUPERVILLAIN!" shit drawn all over it.

The set up for the police station assault was not too shabby but resolves in an uninteresting way. Oh just let Frank go and he just runs around the woods, not stealthy at all, just blasting these clueless henchmen with shitty muzzle flash effects that result in shitty blood splatter effects. Also, why the fuck wouldnt he and the weirdo priest just shoot each other? The homeland security helo stopping all the action for the main baddie to escape was dumb.

GoldenCat

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Man, this season was bad in pretty much every way. I liked Amy and Pilgrim but that's about it.

The first episode was great. They really should have set this season in the outskirts/rural areas with Pilgrim as the primary antagonist instead of NY and Billy's boring ass.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Amy and Frank's dynamic is definitely the best thing about this show.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Amy and Frank's dynamic is definitely the best thing about this show.
I agree. It's interesting that Micro and Frank's dynamic was the best thing about the first season as well. In the unlikely event this continues I'd like to see them contort the plot in whatever way necessary to just makes this about the three of them as a team pulling off heists and forget the main conceit of the show.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I'm just gonna repeat what I ranted about earlier in the thread: How do you construct a season with two antagonists who have nothing to do with each other? Amateur writers on this show, just embarrassing. As bad as Russo's subplot was, at least his arc was thematically connected to Frank, the pair being two sides of the same coin and all. Pilgrim is just such a random character who has nothing to do with anything.

And I wanna reiterate how fucking stupid the macguffin of the show is. It would make sense if the story was set in the 70s. But it's not. It's 2019 for fuck's sake. Garghghgh!!!!

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I agree. It's interesting that Micro and Frank's dynamic was the best thing about the first season as well. In the unlikely event this continues I'd like to see them contort the plot in whatever way necessary to just makes this about the three of them as a team pulling off heists and forget the main conceit of the show.

I think it really all comes down to Frank tending to have really good chemistry with people.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I thought that was ridiculous too. And then it gets even more tone deaf when the end smash cuts to Frank gunning down a bunch of minorities lol

Yeah I agree after the events of this season I found the closing shot to be oddly jarring, even if this is supposed to be the Punisher. lol it's so weird.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I finally finished this. (Terrible final scene, jesus) Easily the worst S2 out of all the Netflix shows. This mostly dull season is what I thought S1 was gonna be going in, but that ended up being a pleasant surprise overall. I was hoping it'd be similar to S1 in that the back half would be a lot more engaging, but nah, not really.

The Pilgrim absolutely sucked. At no point did I find enjoyment from his character, nothing worked at all. And as someone that wasn't as bothered by Madani in S1 like so many people apparently were, I totally get it now. Very insufferable character that seems to fail at virtually everything she did this season. That she could
barely defeat the therapist is nothing short of embarrassing. And then she becomes CIA in the end... sure.
Her arc on paper actually makes a lot of sense, but the execution was sorely lacking.

Billy Russo, there were elements to his arc that were intriguing, but overall it was a huge misfire. Actually, that's the main blunder of this season, in how it just didn't want to commit to a storyline. That you could have the Russo and Pilgrim be these separate storylines that have literally nothing to do with each other is just baffling. If it was at least done in a sort of mini-arc format, that would've worked a looooot better. Instead characters connected to one storyline would essentially be on time out until they were needed. Really baffling choice.

The worst character by far this season was the therapist. There's nothing more I even feel like typing out about her, it's just the simple truth.

The primary highlight of the season was Frank as always, but also Amy. I didn't particularly like her at first, but I really warmed up to her. Her dynamic with Frank was easily the best thing about the show. Instead of the mess this season was, it should've basically went full Logan with it instead of worrying about Billy's shit. Since that didn't happen, while their dynamic overall worked for me, admittedly the whole pseudo father/daughter relationship felt a bit unearned.

Aside from that, the thing I'm most happy about after watching this is that
scene where Frank just casually shoots Billy mid-sentence, and that Mahoney and Curtis didn't die.

I really liked Jon Bernthal's portrayal as Frank. But sadly, unlike Daredevil, I'm not going to miss this show one bit.

Not gonna lie, watched episodes 1 to 3 and then skipped to 13. it was a fun ride, but after episode 3 it al pointed to a borefest, after reading this thread, looks like a did the right choice. Ending was cool and i enjoyed all 4 episodes

Should've listened to you.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
I finished this yesterday night. My thoughts:

+ Bernthal

+ Most of the action scenes are pretty good. People get fucked up pretty hard and the makeup and effects teams really did good work. Some of those wounds looked fucking nasty.

+ Amy... I liked her relationship with Frank. She added some good tension with him as she kept getting herself into trouble and not cooperating. I also like that it took her a while to warm up to Frank.

+ Really glad Curtis stuck around

+ Madani lookin' fine as usual.

+ Frank just putting Billy down like a dog mid-sentence. A pathetic death for a person that deserved nothing better.

- Madani's fight scene... good god. She's a trained special agent? I really wanted her to turn Punisher-like with the therapist, to just fuck her up beyond belief, which is where I thought it was going. That would've been an interesting twist for the character.

- The hotel shootout was hilarious. Just shooting over each other's heads instead of firing through the bed level.

- Frank never goes back to the bar and that girl he was with, even to check up on her. Seemed out of character.

- The storylines never intertwining is just insane to me. It feels like it should've been easy enough to do, as well, and would've raised the stakes instead of them literally saying, "Let's deal with Russo first then deal with this other shit."

- Didn't spend enough time with the "real" villains (the senator's parents) or with the senator himself.

- Preacher getting off way too easy is just such bullshit, way out of character for Frank to do that, just annoying as hell

- Yikes at that final shot, the quality of it was just way below the rest of the season

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I think they should've resolved the Pilgrim storyline in the middle of the season, and then having Billy Russo escape soon after. Two smaller arcs instead of one season going back and forth without any consistency.

Nov 9, 2017
This season was pretty terrible IMO.

There was very poor cohesion and progression of the storyline
Krista and Russo's relationship was unbelievable
Pilgrim doesn't really fit into the story, although the acting was good
Child porn guy would have never been allowed to live if it were the "real" Punisher
Russo's murder in the end was poorly written and almost makes you sympathize with his character
Madani should have been killed instead of her lame CIA recruitment ending

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
In the final scene, Frank should've went back for that pedo guy instead

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Man what a disappointment. Season started strong and just fell apart entirely once Frank lands in NY. The Billy Russo stuff with his therapist was the absolute worst and the two story lines never come together either which is just baffling. Seems to me they had two seasons worth of story and just decided to cram it all into this season before they got canceled. Honestly would've been fine without the Russo stuff and it just being Frank and Amy vs Pilgrim. Also Frank letting the main villian live again two seasons in a row.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The best moment in this entire series is the when the doctor is asked to remove a bullet
from Billy Russo's stomach, and Billy passes out. He wakes up in a dumpster with the bullet still in him and the doctor stole all of his money. Fuck Billy Russo, and yay for that doctor. Doctor's always get threatened in these shows to do shit like this and this was the perfect response.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
The best moment in this entire series is the when the doctor is asked to remove a bullet
from Billy Russo's stomach, and Billy passes out. He wakes up in a dumpster with the bullet still in him and the doctor stole all of his money. Fuck Billy Russo, and yay for that doctor. Doctor's always get threatened in these shows to do shit like this and this was the perfect response.
I wish he'd died where he woke up. It would've been just what he deserved.

Deleted member 32679

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
- Madani's fight scene... good god. She's a trained special agent? I really wanted her to turn Punisher-like with the therapist, to just fuck her up beyond belief, which is where I thought it was going. That would've been an interesting twist for the character.
That was so annoying. How a trained FBI agent couldn't take out an idiotic therapist. And Billy's reaction was like a meme.

Dyergram

Nov 26, 2017
I went into this with really low expectations and ended up enjoying it more than most people here I guess. I kinda wish that we could have a comic book show like this where instead of one story every episode was it's own little story I really hope the judge dred show works like that. Other than that I really liked the gym fight.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I think they should've resolved the Pilgrim storyline in the middle of the season, and then having Billy Russo escape soon after. Two smaller arcs instead of one season going back and forth without any consistency.
I think their problem was keeping them as separate as they did. They should've merged them together.

I for sure thought we were heading to places where Frank goes to kill Billy but Pilgrim comes and wrecks the plan, or Billy's guys come to fuck Frank up and Pilgrim has to save him to find where the girl is, or any other of a ton of interesting combinations that would've raised the stakes and kept you guessing.

Also the more I look back on it, Frank doesn't do enough "punishing" this season. Pedo photographer lived? I can't remember, did Frank even destroy his balls? Jeez. Nazis getting a 2nd chance just because they have kids is stupid. Like any number of the mooks Frank has killed over the years didn't have kids? I think that's why it was cathartic the way he handled Billy this season. I agree it would've been way better for him to
have died in the dumpster
but I guess Frank needed closure.

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
Billy's character arc this season bothered me more than the sloppy handling of two different story lines never coming together at all and basically fighting for screen time. It felt like they had a completely different angle/desire to take Billy Russo or changed their minds after doing Season 1 and had to use hokey amnesia to force in a different "path" for his character. It just feels really poorly done and feels like the idea of Billy being Frank's foil could have all just been localized to season 1 without having to rely on making Billy feel really inconsistent and confused.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
Finished it last night. Enjoyed it and will really miss the show, but I agree with most of the complaints other people have. It could have been better if they made the story simpler and removed some characters.

Melubas

Jan 4, 2018
Finished it half an hour ago, and I think I will have to give up on the Marvel Netflix series now.
It was painfully slow, like, they could have pretty much slammed together episodes 2-8 into one and still told the same story. The writing was horrible, with basically half the characters acting unbelievable.

There were also many things that didn't make sense, like why did they keep the senator hostage in the same trailer that John already knew about? One call from the "big boss christian guy" and he could have went there with some guys and got him back. Why would Madani, a trained homeland security agent, fail to overpower a therapist? Why is everyone acting like Billy is hideously scarred when it's basically just three cuts that don't make him hideous at all? Why do they spend almost the entire first episode introducing Beth's character and then she's never heard from again? Why do the police keep the dangerous criminal Billy Russo in a hospital right in thte city with a couple of regular police officers guarding him? Why is he able to walk out hiding behind the same mask that everyone should already know is his? Hell, wouldn't the cops be suspicious that HIS THERAPIST is escorting a guy past active officers in a hallway right outside his room? The whole thing with Billy going out and recruiting veterans to create a ridiculous street gang is just cringy too. Amy, the kid, is a mess. I just find it completely unbelievable that she would be acting bratty and doing her whole "cool kid"-schtick when she just recently almost was killed in a bar.

And the violence. Sure, I get that it's fiction, and I love a cheesy action movie as much as anyone, but when major characters repeatedly get mauled to the point of near death and in the next episode are walking around like nothing happened it does away with all credibility. Mahoney taking a plunge off a bridge while in the front seat of an ambulance that get's completely smashed on impact should have been in a hospital for a long time, yet right after he's walking around with a band-aid on his forehead and nothing else to show for it. Frank gets hit in the face with gym weights and doesn't even have any swelling after. He get's shot, beaten and cut numerous times and walks around like nothing happened.

Nope, this was a shit season, even worse than the last one and that was so-so.

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished it, best part was the last 5 seconds. They should have "wrap it up" a lot sooner, there was a lot of unnecessary crap happening for what was a rather basic but cool concept of a story. Liked season one a lot more.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Finished the season recently and there was one question which I either missed, or didn't find an answer to ...

just what did the rich old white people have on the preacher to make him do their bidding and kill so many people for them ? why was he following all of their orders ? he was clearly not happy about not being with his family, and even when in his family home, he was punishing himself physically for his 'sins' i assume.