Status
Not open for further replies.

Sillegamer

Oct 27, 2017
Best known for Max Payne but more popular in recent years for its work on Xbox exclusives like Quantum Break, Finnish developer Remedy has since broken away from Microsoft, bringing its next project Control to multiple platforms, including the PS4. Curiously, Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida visited the studio recently, while it's been touring various first-party outfits like Naughty Dog. We've also heard from a number of sources that Sony is lining up a bid, although the company's recent reacquisition of the Alan Wake brand casts some doubt on that speculation./QUOTE]

Full article on possible PlayStation acquisitions http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2019/07/feature_which_studios_could_sony_realistically_acquire

Taka

Apr 27, 2018
This would be a great pickup.

I always wondered why Microsoft never included them in their spending spree.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
This would be a great pickup.

I always wondered why Microsoft never included them in their spending spree.
Quantum Break is why. An expensive disaster.

And that was after Alan Wake which had middling success after many delays and development hell (the game was open world for most of its development).

But with Sony's resources and experience, bringing them in-house could potentially resolve some of their issues.

Will be interesting to see if this happens. Also worth remembering that Remedy is currently working on Crossfire's single player campaign in addition to Control. Not sure if they have capacity for a third project.

I miss their Max Payne days, those were the Remedy golden years.

Oct 27, 2017
If true, they must be really impressed with Control. Do we know any of the other projects Remedy is working on? I seem to recall they'd broken into a few different teams and one of their projects was supposed to be an online game.

Edit - was it Remedy who was working on the single player mode for that Korean online shooter?

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really a fan of these acquisitions if it leads to more exclusive games that would have previously been multiplatform, but if it could lead to better games and a healthier development studio from a financial perspective, then I hope Remedy chooses what's best for them.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
i gotta say that i didnt expect the first acquisition rumors from sony to come from push square lol.

remedy would be good. control's budget is like $12m, they deserve more.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
That's not the best acquisition. Go for a good Japanese studio instead.

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm. Not big on these sorts of acquisitions. However if Sony are looking for another quality studio with linear story experience - this seems like a good fit I guess.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I'm not really a fan of these acquisitions if it leads to more exclusive games that would have previously been multiplatform, but if it could lead to better games and a healthier development studio from a financial perspective, then I hope Remedy chooses what's best for them.
This is something that a lot of people seem to miss. At least in the case of Sony, the games that come out post-acquisition wouldn't really be possible as an independent studio. Like, I don't see Bend making a game with the scope of Days Gone if they were independent. And how long ago would Dreams have been on the chopping block if they weren't under Sony? They take a lot of safe bets too (you gotta), but they often use those safe bets to see less safe bets through to their completion.

Dragun

Oct 30, 2017
If Quantic Dream is done with Sony then there's no better EU studio to take their spot than Remedy.

Oct 30, 2017
Yooo....how about funding some of them Sony monies for Alan Wake 2 and get Bluepoint to remaster part 1and American Nightmare in the process while we wait.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
This is something that a lot of people seem to miss. At least in the case of Sony, the games that come out post-acquisition wouldn't really be possible as an independent studio. Like, I don't see Bend making a game with the scope of Days Gone if they were independent. And how long ago would Dreams have been on the chopping block if they weren't under Sony? They take a lot of safe bets too (you gotta), but they often use those safe bets to see less safe bets through to their completion.
i mean, they could make the same scope of games with an exclusivity deal for a specific game, wonder why they rather acquire remedy instead.

anyway this is good if true, remedy deserves more budget than what control has (12m dollar budget is depressingly low for AAA development)

KiDdYoNe

Oct 25, 2017
Remember that joke about Xbox having Alan Wake and Playstation will have Alan Wake 2?

Good for both sides I'd say.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
That's not the best acquisition. Go for a good Japanese studio instead.
It is probably tax related. If each region keeps its own profit to avoid being taxed twice, this would be Europe's acquisition budget that can't be used in Japan. And of course, a Japanese studio that is small enough for Sony to buy would probably already be working on PlayStation and not Xbox projects.

Samanyolu

Apr 27, 2019
Not sure what to think of this, as a PlayStation customer. Their games don't seem any interesting to me, though I've only checked them out on YouTube, but they do seem like a good fit for Sony, style-wise.

Also, I see that they've just recently bought back the rights to Alan Wake. Pretty weird to get snatched up after buying back their IP.. Not sure if source is actually credible.

Typhoon20

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Quantum Break is why. An expensive disaster.

And that was after Alan Wake which had middling success after many delays and development hell (the game was open world for most of its development).

But with Sony's resources and experience, bringing them in-house could potentially resolve some of their issues.

Will be interesting to see if this happens. Also worth remembering that Remedy is currently working on Crossfire's single player campaign in addition to Control. Not sure if they have capacity for a third project.

I miss their Max Payne days, those were the Remedy golden years.

While I'm not a fan of this acquisition it will be very telling of MS. If Remedy keeps making the same quality of games under Sony as they did with MS with AW and QB then we can safely say Remedy ain't what it used to be. But if the next PS exclusive AW2 or whatever turns out to be GOTY or a much, much higher quality of games than they delivered with MS.... oh boy. Now that, will be a bad look on MS.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Why is it that I can't help but feel like this is some fairy tale bullshit and no such acquisition is happening at all.

I love Remedy by the way. Have done since the Max Payne days. But does Sony really need another cinematic, third-person shooter dev under its belt?

Oct 27, 2017
Good fit for Sony

Although, it would mean that they will have 2 studios that produce games at a snails pace. Polophony and remedy

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Never said they weren't, but where in a thread about them buying remedy soooooo.
you said that this move is trash because you rather they make their own studios so i replied to you that they are making new studios and this is in addition to these studios (if true, and i hardly believe push square)

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Not sure what to think of this, as a PlayStation customer. Their games don't seem any interesting to me, though I've only checked them out on YouTube, but they do seem like a good fit for Sony, style-wise.

Also, I see that they've just recently bought back the rights to Alan Wake. Pretty weird to get snatched up after buying back their IP.. Not sure if source is actually credible.
They always owned the IP.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Alan Wake 2 as a PS exclusive, just thinking about it makes me laugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.