• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Romney voting party line in lifting Russian sanctions is a new low for him.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
One of these motherfuckers needs to explain the vote. I want to know what the reasoning for this was, even if it's their bullshit reason.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
In case anyone has any doubts what a crock of shit this is.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/derip...-fanboy-as-white-house-aims-to-lift-sanctions

Last year, the Treasury Department sanctioned Deripaska's aluminum company, Rusal, in part because of Russia's occupation of Crimea. Deripaska reduced his holdings in the company in hopes of winning relief from those punishing sanctions. But one of its new leaders has defended Russia's occupation of Crimea. He's also become a regular on Russian state TV, pushing a conspiracy theory about chemical weapons in Syria, and asserting that the Russian government couldn't have been involved in the poisoning of one-time spy Sergei Skripal. That background, which has not been previously detailed, has concerned congressional lawmakers as well as Western intelligence officials.

Jean-Pierre Thomas, the new chairman of Rusal's board, previously advised former French President Nicolas Sarkozy. More recently, he helped launch a group pushing for international recognition that Russia's occupation of Crimea is legal (it isn't). Russian President Vladimir Putin praised the organization, which openly aims to get sanctions against Russia dropped.

Welcome to the new boss. Same as the old boss.

Mitt voting for Russia.

Hahahahahahaha.

No one really thought he'd be the sane one did they?

US Congress is becoming Kremlin 2.0

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
serious question, are American politicians afraid of Russian oligarchs and their power? does a Republican Senator fear a hit could be ordered on them?

because i just dont get it.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
One of these motherfuckers needs to explain the vote. I want to know what the reasoning for this was, even if it's their bullshit reason.

I haven't heard this specific defense of it coming from the GOP, but I imagine the most rational defense of this is that sanctioning Deripasko's company might have a negative effect on the global aluminum market as a whole, which could impact non-Russian companies in unintended ways.

ScandiNavy

Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Norway
No collusion though!
Party of traitors.
tenor.gif

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So, has anyone who voted to lift these sanctions at least try to justify why?

I would love to hear the spin, if it's even possible to do.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
Traitors all of them. Ongoing investigation too with 2016 election, lets reward them with lifted sanctions

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
"McConnell is happy to hold a vote to line the pocketbooks of Russian oligarchs, but continues to refuse to hold a vote to put hardworking government employees back to work."

This needs to be shouted everywhere.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Why would they want to lift the sanctions? Wtf.

The argument is that Oleg Deripaska's aluminum company is too important to be sanctioned because industrial supply chains in the US and Europe rely on it. So the Treasury Department together with some UK lobbyists worked out an agreement where Deripaska will relinquish majority ownership of the company. That and paying a lot of lobbyists in DC big money got the job done, big surprise there.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like I'm missing something here, the title doesn't match the content of the OP?
The Senate shot down a Dem bill that was trying to force the white house to enforce the already passed sanctions that Trump has been refusing to actually enforce, not to lift them entirely?

It's not that big a difference but asking Republicans to limit the powers of their president was always going to be a tall order.

Edit: Nvm I missed that last line in that tweet saying Trump is probably going to lift them. That's shitty and the Republicans are straight up traitors.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
The argument is that Oleg Deripaska's aluminum company is too important to be sanctioned because industrial supply chains in the US and Europe rely on it. So the Treasury Department together with some UK lobbyists worked out an agreement where Deripaska will relinquish majority ownership of the company. That and paying a lot of lobbyists in DC big money got the job done, big surprise there.

... even though this deal includes Deripasko still retaining something like 40% control.

Make no mistake, it's a farcical argument.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
Russia hacked the GOP emails too and never released that info. The GOP is compromised.
I've thought this for a while; that the whole of the GOP is compromised. It doesn't make sense to just hack one party and not literally everyone to gather as much intel as you can. If true, must be some juicy stuff in there. I've never seen the GOP bend over backwards for Russia in such a manner. Goes far beyond worrying about going against Trump and his supporters.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
... and while we're here, let me predict that this Steve King rebuke (and the subsequent tossing of Paul Ryan under the bus) is only the beginning of what is going to be a concerted effort by the GOP to act like they've turned over a new leaf and are getting rid of the bad eggs.

Let's not fall for this for a nanosecond.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017

Except he still handed it over to a Putin loyalist that wants to legalize Crimean occupation.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
I've thought this for a while; that the whole of the GOP is compromised. It doesn't make sense to just hack one party and not literally everyone to gather as much intel as you can. If true, must be some juicy stuff in there. I've never seen the GOP bend over backwards for Russia in such a manner. Goes far beyond worrying about going against Trump and his supporters.

It's not just e-mails... it's very probably illegal campaign funds as well... at the very least.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At this point the inevitable X-Files reboot might as well have Russians as the invaders instead of extra-terrestrials

Oct 25, 2017
The whole GOP party is full of traitors and hypocrites. Lindsey graham better never open his goddamn mouth about russia again.

These motherfuckers are literally trying their damndest to sell us all down the river. It's incredible how fast they fucked us all.

The Boat

Oct 28, 2017
I have a hard time imagining a bright near future for USA. Even when Trump is gone, you're left with an alarming ammount of people who support him or people like him (aka racists, homophobes, anti science people, etc) and one of your two parties is completely and utterly evil, dumb and corrupt to a cartoonish degree.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
True, next Dem president is going to go crazy with them no doubt, especially once the full picture of their fuckery aided and abetted by the GOP is revealed. Hell, anything short of a hot war should be on the table.
Trump in 2019... "If you vote for my opponent, you are voting for World War III. All of your children will die. Only I can keep America safe."
Putin in 2019... "Trump is correct. We will lay waste to the American empire if you vote for 'Not Hillary But Just As Bad'".

Deleted member 22649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nothing changes until Congress fears the American people more than it fears the rich, and that does not happen so long as we continue to view civil protest as our primary tool to resist this.

Oct 27, 2017
serious question, are American politicians afraid of Russian oligarchs and their power? does a Republican Senator fear a hit could be ordered on them?

because i just dont get it.
Some Republicans are reacting this way because of what they perceive as everyone else losing their minds obsessing over everything Russia so they are doing the opposite.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Those 11 Republicans who voted with Dems need to form a coalition to remove McConnell as Majority Leader and get a vote on a CR going.