• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
(MOSCOW) — Alarmed by the growing popularity of rap among Russian youth, President Vladimir Putin wants cultural leaders to devise a means of controlling, rather than banning, the popular music.

Putin says "if it is impossible to stop, then we must lead it and direct it."

But Putin said at a St. Petersburg meeting with cultural advisers Saturday that attempts to ban artists from performing will have an adverse effect and bolster their popularity.

Putin noted that "rap is based on three pillars: sex, drugs and protest." But he is particularly concerned with drug themes prevalent in rap, saying "this is a path to the degradation of the nation."

Last month, a rapper known as Husky, whose videos have garnered more than 6 million views on YouTube, was arrested after he staged an impromptu performance when his show was shut down in the southern Russian city of Krasnodar.

The 25-year-old rapper, known for his lyrics about poverty, corruption and police brutality, was preparing to take to the stage on Nov. 21 when local prosecutors warned the venue that his act had elements of what they termed "extremism."

http://time.com/5480876/putin-control-rap-music-russia/

Clearly not a fan of mumble rap.

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
he's a dummy. He could have just been paying rappers like $10k for them to drop a line about russia. Get the kids on it

"my flag so red like the blood of the glorious fathers of the ussr" or something

Oct 27, 2017
Evil fucker. He says he's concerned with the drug aspects, but that is just misdirection. He really is concerned about the political and protest aspects. He seeks to control it as another political propaganda tool. That's why that rapper who sings about poverty, politics, and corruption was arrested.

Kotto

CEO of Traphouse Networks
Nov 3, 2017
lol Putin sounds like the GOP here

wonder which member told him about that rippity rap with the rap cars and rap shoes

wisdom0wl

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
lol this dude really only gives a fuck about people not getting the gumption to protest and become anti authority. like he could give two fucks about drugs and sex

Oct 28, 2017
This isn't just terrible for the artists, it's also stupid.

Why do countries like the US or UK have so much soft power? It's also because of the dominance on the cultural market through music, movies etc

Russia could gain a lot from supporting and promoting its artists instead of repressing them, but that's probably not macho enough for Putin's view of the country

Oct 26, 2017
The fuck? How is this communism? Do you have any idea what communism is?
Russia's communist state in which they deliberately tried to do exactly what Putin is trying to do now. But yes I know what communism is but forgot I had to account for every hostile asshole on here and define precisely what I mean so they don't come at me with their BS attitude.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Russia's communist state in which they deliberately tried to do exactly what Putin is trying to do now. But yes I know what communism is but forgot I had to account for every hostile asshole on here and define precisely what I mean so they don't come at me with their BS attitude.

Putin, like Stalin, is a dictator.

They always try to control the message.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
That's a lame move from Putin, and as far as pop culture is concerned, being lame is worse than being evil.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
The day Putin dies we're all going to have to hold our breath.

Thank God we still haven't discovered the key to immortality.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
He should ban GTA IV. Although didn't Rockstar neuter the music anyway?

Dolphin is great, as always, and he actually released a fantastic protest album this year. Not rap though.

Last edited:

moblin

Oct 25, 2017
Москва
Stuff like this has been brewing over smaller artists for a few years now. Husky and IC3PEAK are one thing - and IC3PEAK in particular have been very political, with videos showing gay makeout sessions in Moscow and feasting on hypothetical members of the Duma - but GONE.Fludd and Allj are huge in Russia and Monetochka is just known as a viral pop girl making cutesy piano songs and covers. Attempts to soften or propagandize their music won't go well, although almost all of the big stars aren't as explicitly political.

Moscow has tried similar intimidation tactics against Ukrainian artists like MONATIK and Vremya i Steklo performing at Russian venues/festivals and it didn't go well as Ukrainian musicians making Russian-language music are still hugely popular there.

^banned in Russia, still 10m views and widely viewed via VPN

There's no stopping the train once it's left the station. The difference between a lot of these artists and Pussy Riot is that Pussy Riot was never super popular.