• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They cheated by selling me two copies (one physical and one digital). I love this game.

Please get the message, puzzle game makers. Lumines and Tetris Attack need to be on the Switch.

coconut gun

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
They cheated by selling me two copies (one physical and one digital). I love this game.

Please get the message, puzzle game makers. Lumines and Tetris Attack need to be on the Switch.

It's fucking bonkers that Nintendo has released a goddamn online Dr Mario on the Wii, Wii U AND 3DS and the most recent release of Tetris Attack/Panel De Pon/Puzzle League was on the DSi.

Just give us one! Hell the world wide audience would be far more receptive of Panel De Pon's aesthetic these days. Gimme dat reboot

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's fucking bonkers that Nintendo has released a goddamn online Dr Mario on the Wii, Wii U AND 3DS and the most recent release of Tetris Attack/Panel De Pon/Puzzle League was on the DSi.

Just give us one! Hell the world wide audience would be far more receptive of Panel De Pon's aesthetic these days. Gimme dat reboot
Couldnt agree more. It is my favorite puzzle game variant of all time. I also love Lumines, but that game shit the bed on Vita and caused them to sell the franchise to Mobcast, a phone game maker.

Escalario

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frankly, wouldn't weird me if most people bought it for the Tetris part of the game, not Puyo Puyo.

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
Some corporate big wig will misread the sales, push out another Puyo game that sucks hastily, game will tank and series will go dormant again for another decade.

It releases pretty regularely in Japan...

Frankly, wouldn't weird me if most people bought it for the Tetris part of the game, not Puyo Puyo.

It is the reason. Tetris is huge, everyone knows it. And so it will likely remain the best selling game of the franchise

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this number is just for the Switch version. The numbers don't add up and that whole part is about the Puyo Puyo Tetris game in general, not just the S version. The problem is that he talks about the Switch release and then follows up with the 1M thing, but I don't think it's only about that version.

Anyway, still a great result.

Deleted member 15538

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Should have done well in other regions too as it's not available digital on ps4. Had to buy it on switch myself. And that monstrosity of a pokken controller to be able to even play it lol with a d pad.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
What is it with people and Switch games selling well. Always at least one guy doing their best to downplay.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Upon further review, based on conversations with a few Japanese speakers + looking at the sales numbers, it does seem that the number in the OP is the combined amount of all console versions and not just the sales for the Switch version. But it seems the Switch version has indeed sold the best and they're extremely impressed with that.

I'm going to update the title and OP to reflect this.

Thanks.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The PS4 version appears to not have sold well at retail. Most stores I check put it on clearance and dumped it months ago. Switch version still going strong.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
Since things have been clarified, I also wanted to give a better look at the Japanese sales of the game, with all the versions' most updated LTDs (via MediaCreate), and including Best Price re-releases

Code:
[3DS] Puyo Puyo Tetris <PZL> (Sega) {2014.02.06} (ÂĄ4.980) - 44.627 / 123.302
[NSW] Puyo Puyo Tetris <PZL> (Sega) {2017.03.03} (ÂĄ4.990) - 12,854 / 61,748*
[PS3] Puyo Puyo Tetris <PZL> (Sega) {2014.02.06} (ÂĄ4.980) - 10.306 / 31.221
[3DS] Puyo Puyo Tetris [Special Price] <PZL> (Sega) {2015.11.19} (ÂĄ2.990) - 1.208 / 30.739
[PSV] Puyo Puyo Tetris <PZL> (Sega) {2014.02.06} (ÂĄ4.980) - 8.973 / 27.109
[WIU] Puyo Puyo Tetris <PZL> (Sega) {2014.02.06} (ÂĄ4.980) - 4.452 / 22.932
[WIU] Puyo Puyo Tetris [Special Price] <PZL> (Sega) {2015.11.19} (ÂĄ2.990) - 419 / 12.824
[PS4] Puyo Puyo Tetris [Special Price] <PZL> (Sega) {2015.11.19} (ÂĄ3.490) - 601 / 11.808
[PS4] Puyo Puyo Tetris <PZL> (Sega) {2014.12.04} (ÂĄ5.480) - 1.044 / 8.718
[PSV] Puyo Puyo Tetris [Special Price] <PZL> (Sega) {2015.11.19} (ÂĄ2.990) - 383 / 7.476
[PS3] Puyo Puyo Tetris [Special Price] <PZL> (Sega) {2015.11.19} (ÂĄ2.990) - 212 / 2.790

Total - 340,667

*as of December 3rd, 2017, thus before the Holidays started

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Upon further review, based on conversations with a few Japanese speakers + looking at the sales numbers, it does seem that the number in the OP is the combined amount of all console versions and not just the sales for the Switch version. But it seems the Switch version has indeed sold the best and they're extremely impressed with that.

I'm going to update the title and OP to reflect this.

Thanks.

Thanks. I was thinking the numbers were off. I think people get too overexcited and sometimes post things without waiting for official numbers.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
The PS4 version appears to not have sold well at retail. Most stores I check put it on clearance and dumped it months ago. Switch version still going strong.

The PS4 ver. did really poorly in the US.

Last I checked, the Switch ver. outsold it by more than 5x. At retail at least.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Since things have been clarified, I also wanted to give a better look at the Japanese sales of the game, with all the versions' most updated LTDs (via MediaCreate), and including Best Price re-releases

Code:
[3DS] Puyo Puyo Tetris <PZL> (Sega) {2014.02.06} (ÂĄ4.980) - 44.627 / 123.302
[NSW] Puyo Puyo Tetris <PZL> (Sega) {2017.03.03} (ÂĄ4.990) - 12,854 / 61,748*
[PS3] Puyo Puyo Tetris <PZL> (Sega) {2014.02.06} (ÂĄ4.980) - 10.306 / 31.221
[3DS] Puyo Puyo Tetris [Special Price] <PZL> (Sega) {2015.11.19} (ÂĄ2.990) - 1.208 / 30.739
[PSV] Puyo Puyo Tetris <PZL> (Sega) {2014.02.06} (ÂĄ4.980) - 8.973 / 27.109
[WIU] Puyo Puyo Tetris <PZL> (Sega) {2014.02.06} (ÂĄ4.980) - 4.452 / 22.932
[WIU] Puyo Puyo Tetris [Special Price] <PZL> (Sega) {2015.11.19} (ÂĄ2.990) - 419 / 12.824
[PS4] Puyo Puyo Tetris [Special Price] <PZL> (Sega) {2015.11.19} (ÂĄ3.490) - 601 / 11.808
[PS4] Puyo Puyo Tetris <PZL> (Sega) {2014.12.04} (ÂĄ5.480) - 1.044 / 8.718
[PSV] Puyo Puyo Tetris [Special Price] <PZL> (Sega) {2015.11.19} (ÂĄ2.990) - 383 / 7.476
[PS3] Puyo Puyo Tetris [Special Price] <PZL> (Sega) {2015.11.19} (ÂĄ2.990) - 212 / 2.790

Total - 340,667

*as of December 3rd, 2017, thus before the Holidays started

The PS4 ver. did really poorly in the US.

Last I checked, the Switch ver. outsold it by more than 5x. At retail at least.

I think in the UK it was a similar thing which means taking away the Japanese sales of the other SKUs we're probably still looking at 500k+ for Switch depending on just how close it is to the million mark. Only slightly less impressive.

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
Love this game so much I imported from Japan then bought the English localization in Canada. I still play it a couple times a week with my girlfriend. It's an amazing puzzler

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome! Best version of Tetris since Tetris DS, and it has Puyo Puyo to play if you are into that I guess...jk love the Tetris vs Puyo online matches, they are crazy intense.

I 100% bought it for online ranked Tetris. The story mode ended up being a really great addition and I had some fun with Puyo Puyo though I stink at it.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Here's what was actually said:

Puyo Puyo Tetris is now on sale. Last year, we released at the same time as the launch of the Nintendo Switch hardware, and also in America, Europe and Asian countries at around the same time as the launch. It's gotten very positive reviews. Moreover, it's selling quite well. People might get mad if I give specific numbers, but with a bit more hard work, it appears the game will break the 1 million mark.

My comments: I sort of get what he's saying, but the phrase is just poorly stated. He first mentions how the release of the game coincided with the Switch hardware, but then goes on to mention that the game came out in America, Europe and elsewhere in Asia at nearly the same time as the launch of the Switch (which is sort of true if 7 weeks later counts).

However, there's no reasonable way for a viewer/listener to discern that he is referring to other platforms purely on the basis of what he mentioned, which is very much skewed toward the Switch release last year.

Given that he seems to have separated out the Japanese Switch version release and that of the overseas versions, which also include PS4 and other platforms, it's likely he's referring to all versions.

rokero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
This game is awesome my wife is hooked and she's not a gamer, but we spend hours playing this game together almost daily, it deseves all the success

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Incredibly well deserved. This is my most played game on my Switch and I have plenty of them with 80+ hour counts. It's ridiculously addictive, fun and full featured. Some of the best $30 I've ever spent, and the first "falling pieces" puzzle game to beat Tetris DS for me.

Puyo Puyo is life.

Argot

Oct 29, 2017
Would this make it Sonic Team's most successful game since Generations? Who would've thought.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Glad it's selling so well, I've bought this game 7 times lol (PS3, Vita, PS4, Xbone twice, PS4 English, and finally Switch)

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, so it's 1 million combined. I can't help but wonder what the number would be for a non-anime looking Tetris for Switch, like a sequel to Tetris DS.

Nah all you really need to do is learn some all clear setups.

T-Spins also do a great amount of garbage that you don't even need to be extremely quick.

Making an initial "all clear" setup from an empty board is quite easy to learn to do fast, but do you really think that:
1) memorizing (or have an amazing mind for it) all those ~20 final possible combinations
2) quickly see if one of them is possible or not (~70% chance when having started from scratch)
3) and create a T-spin solution instead if you can't make it

is easier than using a simple puyo puyo pattern that generates regular 5-7 chains? I think it demands a lot more from the player, but maybe I'm missing something?

What's your rating in puyo puyo tetris online?

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
For all platforms made more sense. That said, there is no doubt the bulk of it would be the switch version. I find it difficult to find a match even during the launch period on ps4.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit a million for a years later port of Puyo?

No there are two mystery physical games that sold a million, Rabbids is one, the other is thought to be either Minecraft (which has physical planned so might count) or maybe Skyrim.
The other game is very obviously FIFA

Minecraft doesn't count since it has no physical release (and is probably already past 1 million worldwide anyway)

S2PID

Oct 31, 2017
If you meant that Tetris is the better game, I definitely agree! But Puyo feels very unfairly overpowered. :(

(I get that if elite players battle, they're probably evenly matched, but it's certainly not the case for mid-tier players.)
Yes, it's very evenly matched for elite players: https://twitter.com/S2LSOFTENER/status/950091737212641281

Making an initial "all clear" setup from an empty board is quite easy to learn to do fast, but do you really think that:

1) memorizing (or have an amazing mind for it) all those ~20 final possible combinations

2) quickly see if one of them is possible or not (~70% chance when having started from scratch)

3) and create a T-spin solution instead if you can't make it

is easier than using a simple puyo puyo pattern that generates regular 5-7 chains? I think it demands a lot more from the player, but maybe I'm missing something?
Sure, I think it is that easy to make the all clear setup. At my local gaming center I had everyone Perfect Clearing within 10 minutes. You make the memorization sound a lot more difficult than it really is. All I had to do was show them the Perfect Clear lead-in form and tell them to "mash rotates to get the next 3 pieces to fill in the hole somehow" and they did it lol.

Personally, I think it's a bit misleading to call any Tetris setup "hard"… With the 7-piece single bag randomizer in play, the build method for any Tetris setup has been "solved". This makes defining skill levels in Tetris difficult because pretty much anyone can make the most common setups in Tetris with a little bit of research. Once you train your mind to see those options, the only real limiting factor left is the ability to go fast.

On the other hand, Puyo is much more difficult than you're understanding. Have you actually tried those "simple" puyo patterns that generate "regular" 5-7 chains? There isn't a clear-cut way to make them the same way over and over since Puyo Puyo doesn't have a predictable randomizer like Tetris.

As for determining whether Puyo chaining or Tetris setups "demand more" from a player... well, that's subjective. However, you can determine for yourself whether playing Puyo is really easier when you see what players have to go through to reach the highest levels of play.
https://twitter.com/rockraining/status/869709817887240194
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVORkRFZt3I

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, it's very evenly matched for elite players: https://twitter.com/S2LSOFTENER/status/950091737212641281

Sure, I think it is that easy to make the all clear setup. At my local gaming center I had everyone Perfect Clearing within 10 minutes. You make the memorization sound a lot more difficult than it really is. All I had to do was show them the Perfect Clear lead-in form and tell them to "mash rotates to get the next 3 pieces to fill in the hole somehow" and they did it lol.

Personally, I think it's a bit misleading to call any Tetris setup "hard"… With the 7-piece single bag randomizer in play, the build method for any Tetris setup has been "solved". This makes defining skill levels in Tetris difficult because pretty much anyone can make the most common setups in Tetris with a little bit of research. Once you train your mind to see those options, the only real limiting factor left is the ability to go fast.

On the other hand, Puyo is much more difficult than you're understanding. Have you actually tried those "simple" puyo patterns that generate "regular" 5-7 chains? There isn't a clear-cut way to make them the same way over and over since Puyo Puyo doesn't have a predictable randomizer like Tetris.

As for determining whether Puyo chaining or Tetris setups "demand more" from a player... well, that's subjective. However, you can determine for yourself whether playing Puyo is really easier when you see what players have to go through to reach the highest levels of play.
https://twitter.com/rockraining/status/869709817887240194
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVORkRFZt3I

But at how many percent of their attempts did they successfully do their all clears? There's a difference between pulling it off every fifth attempt, and successfully using it against an opponent. (I spent probably a good 10-20 hours studying it and practicing it, but in the end I feel like my T-spin setups are faster and especially much more consistent. But perhaps I'm just bad at it!)

Anyway, I am not saying Puyo is easy, because I find it really hard and I suck it. What I am saying is that despite that, I beat Tetris opponents with Puyo simply by stacking colors three and three more or less randomly for as long as I can, and hope they pull off a good chain. It feels unfair when I see that the opponent actually plays well.
And similarly, with Tetris, I throw T-spin after T-spin on a lower rated Puyo player and still lose, but often beat Tetris players much higher ranked than me.

So, I don't know, surely it's really hard to balance such different puzzle games to work against each other, especially when considering all possible skill levels. And at my skill level (probably not impressive, around 6000-7000 rating), Puyo is overpowered.

Am I really the only one feeling this way?

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
Would this make it Sonic Team's most successful game since Generations? Who would've thought.

Mario & Sonic games also are in the same division. But yeah mainline Sonic has not been selling well and other games like Yakuza are likely to have done better...they are walking on thin ice.

Jan 11, 2018
If by "lo r" you meant to say "love", then allow me to be baffled. Why? They're terrible. I don't think asking for an option to mute them should be too much to ask for. They sound like they're from a cartoon aimed at 5 year olds.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was one of the first two Switch games I got. I feel like a handheld puzzler is an essential thing to have for when I get the itch.

I love Puyo Puyo, too. My favorite puzzler. Alas it's true that because Tetris is OP and more popular to begin with, not many people play the Puyo end competitively.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If by "lo r" you meant to say "love", then allow me to be baffled. Why? They're terrible. I don't think asking for an option to mute them should be too much to ask for. They sound like they're from a cartoon aimed at 5 year olds.

So do the Japanese voices. Which I think is the point.

I was not originally on board, but the more I hear them the more I realize they're spot on.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
I thought the core of the game was fun (from the demo), but holy moly the characters and aesthetic turned me off. Way, WAY too much for my tastes. But good for it, I suppose. I'm sure its release timing had a bit to do with the success, but numbers are numbers.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
I bought it twice, was my first import on PS4 and I put it off for so long they went and did the impossible and localized it.

I bought a vita and it's just sat there, maybe less than 5 hours of play on it, but it would be 500 if they brought puyo over for that :p