• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Tetris rights are a real thing. It's why the PS4 and XBO versions of Puyo Puyo Tetris were physical only.

PPT making it to Steam now either means Ubisoft's rights will end and their game will be delisted, or else The Tetris Company has changed licensing guidelines allowing competitive releases again.
Can we get Arika's tetris games now?

Deleted member 3888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so why is it region locked in asia

3OSMQS8.jpg

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
Nice, now pc players can play the best puzzle game in history.

Just give me JP VA on my Switch game please!!

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
No. The Tetris Company refuses to acknowledge that the Grand Master games exist, likely because they're sticklers for the precise details of how Tetris plays, and TGM does not conform to their guidelines.
Alright SNK, time to step up and have Arika make a TGM-like game based on your totally not Tetris copycat.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
been waiting for this to hit pc because i didn't want to buy the physical copy for ps4.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Was going to pick this up on the Switch, but grabbing it here instead and will run it through the Shield TV to play with my wife. Crazy price!

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck off Sega. Was going to double dip for JP voices and you infect it with Denuvo. Good job, good effort.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
I am honestly either way about Denuvo, the online check part sucks and is the worst part, but the biggest thing I see people complain about is performance impact usually. DOOM removed it and no performance gain, Sniper 3 removed it and still no performance gain.

That said, I really don't think it's needed in this case

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Wait, the Steam version has dual-audio??

Why did they removed the Japanese voice overs from the PS4/Switch version???

Leafhopper

Oct 25, 2017
This is one of those games that people kinda just play everywhere so it is kinda crap to have Denuvo in it.

It's like if the Steam version of Melty Blood had some kinda wacky 3rd party DRM in it. No hotel bathroom Melty Blood tournies anymore.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Woah! And dual audio too (definitive version)!

Surprising this is happening, are Ubi's rights expiring or did TTC relax/change their dumb guidelines?

I don't think Ubi's licence is expiring. EA's mobile game is still available and it's several years old now, which means it overlaps with both with the original PPT release (which launched the month after Ubi licensed the IP) and Ubi's game. Evidently, Tetris Co. is happy to license the IP to multiple parties concurrently, although I imagine there are terms preventing licensees from releasing a game that directly competes with that of another publisher. So, in this case: EA has mobile rights for classic Tetris, Ubi has PC/console rights for classic Tetris, and Sega sought the IP exclusively for the purpose of fusing it with Puyo Puyo.

Last edited:

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
I actually wonder how many people put no-Denuvo cracks in their legit purchased Steam games

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Not only is one of the best puyo puyo game it's the best Tetris game imo. Even if you never get into Puyo puyo you can just play Tetris and it looks great. Such a great game.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Hopefully this means digital Xbox and PS4 versions can finally be released outside of Japan.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think so. EA's mobile game is still available and it's several years old now, which means it overlaps with both with the original PPT release and Ubi's game. Evidently, Tetris Co. is happy to licence the game to multiple parties concurrently, although I imagine there are terms preventing licencees from releasing a game that directly competes with that of another publisher. So, in this case: EA has mobile rights for classic Tetris, Ubi has PC/console rights for classic Tetris, and Sega sought the IP exclusively for the purpose of fusing it with Puyo Puyo.
The previous explanation I'd heard was TTC would only grant 1 license per platform per region with no competitive releases. This is why Nintendo had to delist Tetris Axis and Tetris GB from 3DS eShop when Ubisoft's game released. Also why Sega had kept PPT to Japan and when it did come west it was on a system Tetris Ultimate wasn't (Switch) or retail only (PS4) long after Ubi had stopped printing their game. In Japan Ubi had Tetris Ultimate on PS4/XBO digital too, which is why those platforms got PPT physical only.

PPT on Steam implies that this stipulation may have changed now though. Unless Ubi's game gets delisted soon.

Deleted member 23965

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Loved the demo for this game on Switch, didn't feel like it warranted the 30$ asking price though. With the Steam version being just 9.3$ (thanks regional pricing), I will be getting this day one.

JMTHEFOX

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Hell yes, so glad that this is finally happening. Japanese voice is there as well, which is also a huge plus.

Too bad there's no Japanese language support, Japan hasn't had a PuyoPuyo game on PC since Fever.

LogN-

Oct 30, 2017
Finally a version without a disc or cartridge in the US! :D
Day one for me!

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Does it have a regular Tetris mode?
You can play vs CPU in just Tetris. There are also solo Tetris modes - Marathon, Clear 40 lines as fast as possible, and score as many points as possible in 3 minutes. Everything involving Puyo Puyo to me is just yawn-inducing, but I've never found the Puyo Puyo puzzle gameplay to be remotely interesting or fun. This game is at its worst imo when it mixes Puyo Puyo and Tetris on the same board, but that can easily be avoided. If you're a fan of either one of these puzzle games, there's enough modes that involve just those types to satisfy you here.

Oct 27, 2017
...So you are saying they should have released it for the same price a year later?

This is the first time it's coming out on PC. I'm confused by what you mean.

God, I mean the game was and is overpriced on consoles. :)

I don't regret buying the game myself but they just made it 30 bucks because they knew they could get away with it on consoles and the PC price coupled with the fact the console versions still have the same price just reinforces that.