• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Nice. I need to wait with purchase though, Wii Shop's impending armageddon is my current recreational spending priority.

God, I mean the game was and is overpriced on consoles. :)

I don't regret buying the game myself but they just made it 30 bucks because they knew they could get away with it on consoles and the PC price coupled with the fact the console versions still have the same price just reinforces that.
What about the game wasn't worth $30 in your book? It's filled with more modes than most people will know what to do with, it has a fully voice-acted story mode that lasts longer than most AAA games and it's all wrapped up in a very attractive and super polished package. Puzzle games aren't second-class citizens at all.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I kinda like the english voices in this game. It has some charm. And normally I hate english voices in japaneses games.

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Nice. Gonna need to save 20 bucks to get it.

Everyone knew they were going to use Denuvo.

Well yeah it's a joke besides Pirates can just emulate the PS3 version in RPCS3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GT2TdG8p1M

or the WII U version in Cemu:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Nz0VkZjJLg

even the 3DS version can be emulated perfectly fine in Citra: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JkeMlXplmA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JkeMlXplmA

if someone just wants to play this game for free they could have done so months ago.

Last edited:

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully Nintendo sees the popularity of this on Switch and stops sitting on Panel de Pon. Ditto for whatever dum-dums are sitting on the Lumines license (Mobcast I think).

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
The previous explanation I'd heard was TTC would only grant 1 license per platform per region with no competitive releases. This is why Nintendo had to delist Tetris Axis and Tetris GB from 3DS eShop when Ubisoft's game released. Also why Sega had kept PPT to Japan and when it did come west it was on a system Tetris Ultimate wasn't (Switch) or retail only (PS4) long after Ubi had stopped printing their game. In Japan Ubi had Tetris Ultimate on PS4/XBO digital too, which is why those platforms got PPT physical only.

PPT on Steam implies that this stipulation may have changed now though. Unless Ubi's game gets delisted soon.

Hmm. If Sega's intentions overlapped with the rights Ubi's licence allows, I wouldn't think it could license the IP until after Ubi's licence expired, especially considering that EA's console games were delisted days before Ubi's announcing it had acquired its own licence. As you suggest yourself, the situation we have here -- two PC games featuring the Tetris IP being sold by two different publishers on the same store and in the same regions -- seems to run contrary to the golden rule you've mentioned. Sega's game may not be available, but by virtue of being advertised and purchasable it is diverting attention away from Ubi's game, which I can only imagine would qualify as Sega stepping on Ubi's toes.

Time will tell, I suppose.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
What about the game wasn't worth $30 in your book? It's filled with more modes than most people will know what to do with, it has a fully voice-acted story mode that lasts longer than most AAA games and it's all wrapped up in a very attractive and super polished package. Puzzle games aren't second-class citizens at all.

It was probably still a really cheap game to make. At its core it's still 2 already existing games mashed together and even with the voice acting I don't see anything that justifies that price tag. As I said, I only bit at the price because I had no other choice at the time.

And as much as I don't like it, it's in their right to charge that price, I know that. That does not mean I cannot call them out for their bad pricing practices.

Hero Prinny

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It was probably still a really cheap game to make. At its core it's still 2 already existing games mashed together and even with the voice acting I don't see anything that justifies that price tag. As I said, I only bit at the price because I had no other choice at the time.

And as much as I don't like it, it's in their right to charge that price, I know that. That does not mean I cannot call them out for their bad pricing practices.

Do you really believe that this game was made by connecting an already existing version of Puyo and Tetris with duct tape?

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Region locked and using denuvo. Wonderful stuff, you've outdone yourselves this time Sega if I do say so myself.

Oct 27, 2017
Do you really believe that this game was made by connecting an already existing version of Puyo and Tetris with duct tape?

Of course not, but both games are as simple as they can be (which is their big strength of course) and all modes are just variations of those which probably already existed in previous games in some form or another. I would love to see actual numbers that prove me wrong, but I don't think there went much time or money into the development of this game compared to lets say Indie games of a similiar scale.

I don't see what the game's budget has to do with anything, nor that it's based on two existing archetypes. I don't see how $30 isn't a more than a fair price for what's offered in the game, unless you simply don't believe a puzzle game should cost that much ever.

Elixist

Oct 31, 2017
cool im down. 18 bucks is nice :D

i understand Denuvo for titles like this, small download, niche genre, hopefully they patch it out later would be nice.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm. If Sega's intentions overlapped with the rights Ubi's licence allows, I wouldn't think it could license the IP until after Ubi's licence expired, especially considering that EA's console games were delisted days before Ubi's announcing it had acquired its own licence. The situation we have here -- two PC games featuring the Tetris IP being sold by two different publishers on the same store and in the same regions -- seems to run contrary to the golden rule you've mentioned. Sega's game may not be available, but by virtue of being advertised and purchasable it is diverting attention away from Ubi's game, which I can only imagine would quality as Sega stepping on Ubi's toes.
I wouldn't be surprised if Ultimate was on the chopping block for a while now, but some contractual obligations kept them from handing platform licenses to someone else. Surely, some of the bad stories about all the big-screen versions of Ultimate made their way back to the tetris company.

oneida

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
i bought one for me and one for a friend.
now give me vf5fs on steam for fuck's sake :(

D65

Oct 26, 2017
This is awesome

I just need BC on PC then there's nothing on Xbox I want.

Last edited:

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
i bought one for me and one for a friend.
now give me vf5fs on steam for fuck's sake :(
cool im down. 18 bucks is nice :D

i understand Denuvo for titles like this, small download, niche genre, hopefully they patch it out later would be nice.
I actually don't understand Denuvo for Puyo Puyo Tetris, but I was more upset about the game not being ported to the PC than I am about Denuvo.

Hyperfludd

Oct 27, 2017
Will double dip, will always support Puyo.

btw don't sleep on the story mode, the dub and localization are hilarious and well done.

Zora

Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
Unexpected!

Will buy this, and then again when I eventually get a Switch. This is one of my most hyped games, I especially enjoyed the demo on a family member's Switch. It's just nice to finally get a proper Tetris game on Steam, PuyoPuyo is just extra.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
The fact people are suggesting that $30 for an absolutely content-packed game like this on Nintendo Switch is too expensive pretty much is the mentality that stopped SEGA from localizing this franchise for over a decade.

This is probably has more in it than any puzzle game ever released. Especially with online play, $18 for the PC version at launch is kind of insane.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, this is a megaton right here, why nobody told me about it!

I've bought this game twice for PS4 and once for Switch but sold my consoles so I have missed it all this time. Now it's coming to PC which have leaked a good Tetris game for decades? Holy shit!

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Whoa, I already own this game at least twice over but I'm in for a third+ time.

... oh, this has Denuvo. Maybe not then.

Last edited:

MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
Little sad that there isn't a SteamOS/ Linux port. But I'll probably blind purchase it anyway. I'm up for this one.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
Omg imagine if we can use HFR with this and have really low input lag :O

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Any hopes for a GOG release down the line? I have a AMD Phenom CPU so I literally can't run any games with Denuvo. :(

No. Since this game is released with Denuvo, it can't be released on GOG with it rendering the DRM investment worthless. And SEGA haven't removed the DRM from any of their other games so far.

Thanks Denuvo.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since it has DENUVO I wont be purchasing this. Chances are my pc wont even boot it up cause of denuvo

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
No. Since this game is released with Denuvo, it can't be released on GOG. For that to happen, SEGA will have to remove Denuvo first, and they haven't removed it from any of their other games so far.

Thanks Denuvo.
Don't games on Uplay have Denuvo? Even the ones that they also publish on GOG?