• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Great thread More_Badass , watched.

My word Gorogoa looks fabulous, I'm going to have to get that, and I already felt compelled to pickup Battlefield 1 this week down to your LttP thread (had amazing fun with that this afternoon) :)
Gorogoa is fantastic. Made #3 on my GOTY list this year
Playing Gorogoa feels like playing through a fairytale, a simple seed of a story that blossoms with folklore whimsy and logic, taking the player and the boy you guide through doorways and windows into other worlds. Even if the puzzles weren't clever, and they are, simply seeing how these detailed illustrations shift and change through your actions, how perspective and context are brilliantly shifted and molded as you drag away the mundane layer above to reveal the other worlds beyond, never ceases to be satisfying. At its best, Gorogoa is a game of making the impossible happen through changing the context of different panels into a combined whole, a game about those times where you realise what the game wants you to do and pause for a moment to appreciate how ingenious and varied such a simple mechanic can be. Gorogoa is a short experience. That brevity - around two hours - isn't a flaw though, but a sign of polish. This is the kind of game where length is matter of meticulous craft and construction, rather than a lack of content.

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
My big puzzle game disappointment right now is the fate of SCALE. It was this promising cool Kickstarted project, that hasn't seen an update in six months - before that, no updates for a year - and the dev has been silent since then. Hasn't even posted on Twitter since 2016. But the game had been so promising, and it seems legit too, since he had worked alongside the devs of games like Manifold Garden and Museum of Simulation Technology. I hope it really wasn't a scam

Here was the latest update

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's a terrific and terrifying thread. I'm not sure whether I should thank you or curse you.

In Sokobond-style, another game by the guy of A Good Snowman is Hard to Build, and art by the guy of Sokobond (or the other way around? I'm not sure): Cosmic Express.

Very basic, you need to draw a line that your cosmic train will follow to take passengers and bring them to their home. The line cannot intersect, like in Fidel or Dandy Dungeon, and you cannot go back, meaning you need to find a path that first gets the passenger, then their home.
The game gets progressively more difficult with multiple paths, multiple aliens, including some who foul the car they've been in so no other species will want to go in after them. Relaxing, pretty, and devilishly hard.
Warning: the difficulty is not linear. All worlds 1 of each constellation are of similar difficulties, as are all worlds 2, worlds 3... So don't try to finish the first constellation before tackling the second one, you should move around as you unlock them.

I haven't played Yankai's Peak yet, but the same guy created another game based around triangles and psychedelic colours called Yankai's Triangle (last year on Steam I think). It was about matching the colours at the angles of the triangles to make them form bigger triangles whose angles would match so you could form bigger triangles. Quite nice and relaxing too.

EDIT: Also, has anyone tried Dandy Dungon on mobile? Ridiculously good and challenging (though more on the RPG-lite side). Much better than Fidel in my opinion.

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Great thread, subbed instantly. It's mentioned as a link in one of the OP posts, but I feel like profiling Deadly Rooms of Death, also known as DROD. Behold:

Yes. It looks like ass. Yes, it kinda sounds like ass too. Yes, the voice acting is clearly like 3 Swedish dudes recording into a 2001 laptop mic in a bathroom, but Jesus christ, this game will destroy you.

DROD is a long running (1995-present day) puzzle game series that presents itself as a top down dungeon crawler, but actually is the most complex turn based puzzle game ever. You move around with the numpad, and rotate your sword using the Q and W keys. Each of those movements takes a turn, which in turn enemies will also take one. All enemies use predictable, easy to understand AI, so you can always use the same solution on each level. But where the game really shines is when it uses it's near hundreds of systems and mechanics to turn each room into a unique clockwork puzzle, having you poke and prod at each nook and cranny until you piece it together. 5 full games, plus 15 official expansion campaigns, and an RPG spin off gives you plenty to solve and there's even a built in level editor with a community collection of over a thousand mini campaigns to play. A great starting point is game 4: Gunthro and the Epic Blunder, a game designed for beginners. All the other games (except for the most recent one) and official expansions are available as DLC for the Steam version as well.
Yeah, I had the game in my Steam library but I only got around to Epic Blunder recently, and it's great. Very clever use of predictable AI and systems for complex challenges

Sch1sm

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
God of all genres and subgenres, the puzzle. Watched. Thanks for this - makes my life a little more easy sale time. I tend to manually go through the puzzle tag like a maniac on a quarterly basis and see what sticks out to me, so this is a big help. Thanks, More_Badass.Solid thread. Pretty much got all my favourites on those lists.

I've got some additions for this, so I'll just throw them under the categories you already have listed to the best of my ability. I dunno what platforms they're all on, but unless otherwise stated, it's all available on Steam, at least.

Logic/Logic-Minimalist:
Hade
KAMI
KAMI 2 (iOS only)
KNIGHTS
MinSweeper
Sudoku Universe
Unium
WayOut

Point & Click/Text Adventure:
The Dream Machine
Rusty Lake Hotel + Rusty Lake Roots
Tengami

Puzzle-Platformer:
OVIVO
Monochroma
Nova-111

Physics Based:
Art of Gravity
The Bridge
Radium 2/Ra^2

Zen:
LOOP
Strata
Zenge

Misc (I dunno, okay):

The Fall
Gunpoint
OneShot
The Sexy Brutale

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
My hidden gem favorites from the listed games would be Four Sided Fantasy, Mushroom 11, Recursed, Bokida, Circles, Frost, Corrypt, Hadean Lands, Hydra Slayer, Induction, Blackbar, Grayout, Blackbox, Eucledia, and Good Fences

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Love this thread, nicely done. Always enjoy puzzle games, Picross being the top. I see Pushmo and Crashmo are missing, fantastic puzzle games. I'll also vouch for the very very high quality of Puyo Puyo Tetris which just came out last year for most platforms. As a Tetris nut it was a very well done iteration and it found a way to pull me into Puyo Puyo as well.

Is Gorogoa's mechanic the same as the Android and iOS game Framed? Just started that recently and I really enjoy it.

bobnowhere

Oct 26, 2017
Elsewhere for 8 minutes
Got a few during the sale

Pull the circles into the holes using the hooks. A simple premise but the complexity ramps up very fast by the third group of puzzles. You can swap circles between hooks, pull hooks with other hooks and more.

Manipulate the environment to force the protagonist through the levels. His natural state is to warm his hands by a fire but ring a bell and he comes running. Beautiful artwork and good puzzles so far.

Not an easy one to explain this, a Victorian spirit world research puzzle game? You are presented with clues, pictures etc... and have to find the answer. There is also some sort of outside game ARG going on as well with websites seeded in the real world with more clues.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Could anyone recommend good eShop puzzle games for the Switch? Preferably games that can be played at a deliberate pace and don't have any action- or reflex-oriented elements at all. I have already played through Gorogoa and really loved it. I am playing Picross S now and really enjoying it too.

Wibblewozzer

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
It's similar but not a clone. I was thinking the same when I started up SiNKR having completed prior. It has a similar idea that revolves around hitting a select few buttons to determine the correct order of action. But SiNKR is really about hook manipulation to move filled in shapes to hollow spots. There's some tricky interactions that mix things up, such as if two hooks in opposite directions "hook" one another you can then pull one hook away from the ending point when you retract the other hook connecting to it. SiNKR is definitely tougher than HOOK due to the wider variety of interactions and how easy it is to make a wrong move.

Burpelson

Oct 25, 2017
What a goddamn good thread, cheersMore_Badass. I'll have to have a good look at all this tomorrow when my blood alcohol level is more consistent with actually being alive on this planet.

Planet

Oct 25, 2017
Great compilation, thanks for taking the effort.

But is the selection of mentioned platforms intentional? Some of the titles are also available on PS3 (e.g. Portal 2) or Vita (e.g. Papers Please).

And like Ryo Hazuki I would like to chip in for Chromagun. The game is available on PC (Windows, Linux, Mac OS), Switch, PS4, Xbox One, iOS. Though I didn't play it yet I am looking forward to it because it will soon support PSVR (including Aim controller, which will be a very good use for it besides killing baddies). :)

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Played through Gorogoa last night; it's utterly beautiful, although I do feel it perhaps took a little while to get going with the *really* interesting stuff. I'm now wondering if I'm meant to try to isolate a meaning in amongst all that, or just leave it as a flight of fancy!

Wouwie

Oct 27, 2017
Puzzle games is my favourite genre, together with platformers. Looking at the various lists, it seems i'm missing out on a lot of good puzzle games due to being limited to console gaming.

From the best puzzle games list, the ones that stood out to me (and that i played ofcourse, see note above): Braid, Escape Goat 2 (never played the first one), Fez, Portal 2, Shadow Tactics (not sure i'd consider this a puzzle game though), The Talos Principle, The Witness and Toki Tori 2. It's a shame Linelight never made it to EU PSN, despite several promises from the developer, because that looked like a really nice puzzle game.

bradigor

Oct 27, 2017
I too think my favourite genre is the puzzle ones. I'm especially fond of the likes of Tetris, Puyo Puyo, etc.

My most missed puzzle game is Droplitz and I am gutted that I can no longer get it, well not without picking up a 360 again. Would be a perfect fit for ths Switch.

I am currently in love with Battle Chef Brigade, which is one of the freshest takes on Match-3 and evokes fine memories of vs Puzzle games.

Some there that even I haven't tried so will rectify that.

I can highly recommend Heroes Never Lose: Professor Puzzler's Perplexing Ploy, which wear its influences on its sleeve (Super Puzzle Fighter HD)

bobnowhere

Oct 26, 2017
Elsewhere for 8 minutes
I too think my favourite genre is the puzzle ones. I'm especially fond of the likes of Tetris, Puyo Puyo, etc.

My most missed puzzle game is Droplitz and I am gutted that I can no longer get it, well not without picking up a 360 again. Would be a perfect fit for ths Switch.

I am currently in love with Battle Chef Brigade, which is one of the freshest takes on Match-3 and evokes fine memories of vs Puzzle games.

Some there that even I haven't tried so will rectify that.

I can highly recommend Heroes Never Lose: Professor Puzzler's Perplexing Ploy, which wear its influences on its sleeve (Super Puzzle Fighter HD)

Looks like you can still get Droplitz at Greenman Gaming, not Steam but their own DRM playfire.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Puzzle games is my favourite genre, together with platformers. Looking at the various lists, it seems i'm missing out on a lot of good puzzle games due to being limited to console gaming.

From the best puzzle games list, the ones that stood out to me (and that i played ofcourse, see note above): Braid, Escape Goat 2 (never played the first one), Fez, Portal 2, Shadow Tactics (not sure i'd consider this a puzzle game though), The Talos Principle, The Witness and Toki Tori 2. It's a shame Linelight never made it to EU PSN, despite several promises from the developer, because that looked like a really nice puzzle game.
Linelight is playable on mobile, as well as being light enough to run on nearly all modern PC's. I personally don't like the mobile controls on it that much, but it's a really great game and if you have even a standard laptop around somewhere I fully recommend picking it up if you have any way of playing it. You don't need any dedicated gaming machines for it.

titch

Oct 25, 2017
Massive thanks to More_Badass and also to anyone else involved in the content in the thread.

Really enjoy reading others thoughts on games and what they really enjoy - sometimes probably too much more than playing the games themselves.

Another goldmine thread - awesome

Wouwie

Oct 27, 2017
Linelight is playable on mobile, as well as being light enough to run on nearly all modern PC's. I personally don't like the mobile controls on it that much, but it's a really great game and if you have even a standard laptop around somewhere I fully recommend picking it up if you have any way of playing it. You don't need any dedicated gaming machines for it.

The game was actually released for PS4 (non EU) and the developer kept saying that the EU version was being worked on so i waited (i prefer tv+couch for gaming). Since then every other platform version has been released but still no sign of the EU version so i have pretty much given up on that one. Seemed like a neat puzzle game though.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
The game was actually released for PS4 (non EU) and the developer kept saying that the EU version was being worked on so i waited (i prefer tv+couch for gaming). Since then every other platform version has been released but still no sign of the EU version so i have pretty much given up on that one. Seemed like a neat puzzle game though.
Aren't PS4s region free though? What's stopping you from making a 2nd, US account?

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Added a bunch of the suggestions, will get working on all the links and platforms this weekend for the big list

Few more games that deserve to be checked out.

Perspective - A free student game from DigiPen. These put out some very unique concepts and Perspective is amazing. Worth playing for sure and still does some things new that no other game has done since it released.

https://games.digipen.edu/games/perspective#.WlJk_dXFKUk
Got to second Perspective. It's one of the my favorite indie puzzle games, I have fond memories of it since it was one of the most memorable games I played before I got into the wider world of PC indies. Before getting into paid indie games/PC games, I only really played freeware games, browser games, and student projects. Perspective is still one of the coolest uses of perspective in gaming I've ever seen. I might even argue it's the best use.

tumblr_m61jkg6b241qav3uso1_500.gif

The level designer and one of the main devs of Perspective went on to make The Fourth Wall and its Kickstarted successor Four Sided Fantasy. He's currently joined the team making Museum of Simulation Technology

Wibblewozzer

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Has anyone here tried Glass Masquerade? Seems to be really underrated. http://store.steampowered.com/app/511470/Glass_Masquerade/

Basically a jigsaw puzzle where you repair intricately designed stained glass windows.
I enjoy it the same way I do things like hidden object games. It just fits my need to play something simple and I can shut my brain off and get into a zone. I had a pretty good time with it. I just wish there was more to it.

Hadn't realized there was a sequel coming. Be kind of great if there was a harder mode where you had to rotate pieces as well just so things took a little longer.

bobnowhere

Oct 26, 2017
Elsewhere for 8 minutes
Has anyone here tried Glass Masquerade? Seems to be really underrated. http://store.steampowered.com/app/511470/Glass_Masquerade/

Basically a jigsaw puzzle where you repair intricately designed stained glass windows.

Finished it a few days ago, beautiful game. Some of the 5-star puzzles aren't easy as the pieces you haven't placed are blacked out, at a set rotation and have some pretty wild shapes! You have to constantly pick them up to remember what's what.

Finished Pavilion, beautiful artwork, the animation is very reminiscent of old-school Japanese animation especially the way his coattails swirl in the wind. Sadly, the game sort of suddenly just ends with a chapter two to come line of text.

Also played and finished Access Denied. It's a cut down version of The Room, 36 short puzzles, not super hard. Standard stuff, look for patterns, hidden information etc...

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really assumed this would be by the Klocki/PUSH devs. It really looks exactly like something they would make. Even the blue buttons look right.

Looks pretty good. Kind of like a 3D Minesweeper.

titch

Oct 25, 2017
Cross posting from the indie thread...

Picked up Shenzhen I/O from the recent humble bundle and started playing it last night - really enjoying the early stages and just wondered if anyone else had spent much time playing it and how they thought it compared to the Zachtronics other games.

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017

Picked up Shenzhen I/O from the recent humble bundle and started playing it last night - really enjoying the early stages and just wondered if anyone else had spent much time playing it and how they thought it compared to the Zachtronics other games.
I couldn't get into it. Shenzhen and TIS were too complex for me; I prefer when he makes the programming mechanics more abstract like in his other games

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Projected delivery: December 2014. Just wow! XD
Personally, I care less about the projected delivery of a KS as I do about how often updates are posted and the content of those updates. I actually think Kickstarters shouldn't even have projected delivery dates, because it's all just a guessing game, and especially if a game gets tons of funding or reaches a bunch of stretch goals, that estimate goes out the window. It's like writing the first draft of a chapter and then having to predict the month and year your completed book will be published.

Unfortunately, unlike Rain World or Catacomb Kids or many others who did regular detailed updates, the SCALE devs have been much too quiet to the point that backers were assuming the game was a scam.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I haven't played as much of it as some of his other games, but really enjoyed it. It's closest to TIS-100 in a lot of ways which I was a massive fan of, but feels significantly more polished. The added story also helps flesh it out and make it more... human? I guess.

Begbie

Oct 27, 2017
A great block-style puzzle game I don't see mentioned enough is Critter Crunch (I played it on PS3)

Critter_crunch.jpg

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Just learned about this neat new release, it's Six Match from Aaron Steed, who you might remember from the puzzle roguelike Ending
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/six-match/id1327790148
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.robotacid.sixmatch
This is his take on the match-3 puzzler

This article does a good job at talking about what makes it unique
www.electrondance.com/alone-and-beyond-help/
Six Match is very much of the Starseed Pilgrimschool of game design where it's down to you to figure it out. At first, everything is a little overwhelming but gradually the rules become legible. And after all those moments of understanding, Six Match continues to follow in the footsteps of Pilgrim, quietly transforming from curious beepy plaything into the Final Reckoning. Every game becomes a long, epic showdown, a struggle between you and the coins, the diamonds, the skulls, the blocks and did I mention the fucking skulls.

Last edited:

woo

Nov 11, 2017
I decided to try Akin which I picked up in the recent sale thanks to a recommendation from these parts. Fun little game so far and a nice break from Crosscells which is hurting my brain [but in a good way] and so something I like to dip in and out of. I'm most of the way through it however so will then try Squarecells again. For some reason I just couldn't grok the rules in that despite re-starting it multiple times. I've not had that trouble with any of the other games in the series so clearly it's the fault of the game rather than the player.

¬_¬

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Sad at the Switch puzzle game library right now, looking for a good bed time game and I'm not sure I want to drop $8 on what looks like a poor phoned in Picross game. Might have to wait on some Pic a Pix reviews. Any eShop puzzlers recommended for Switch, this thread only has one in Gorogoa?