• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wouwie

Oct 27, 2017
Depsite having a backlog of newer games to play, i have been revisiting some of my older games. And i've come to realise that puzzle games are probably my favourite genre. Even if i don't feel like playing games, i still enjoy playing puzzle games. I've been going back to Tetrobot and Co., which i think is a great puzzle game. I still need to finish it so i'm slowly working towards that goal (i'm at 90/120 completion iirc). Also, just for fun, i restarted playing Fez. I just love that game.

Q.U.B.E. 2 is coming out next week. I hope it's going to be solid new puzzle game to play. Looking forward to it.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
Now that I 100%ed Pictopix, I think I'll play Picross 3D next. Works surprisingly well when using kb+m, also having it render at native 1080p works wonders... not to mention thr fact the DLC puzzles (and there was a lot of them, 4 times the amount you could originally store on cart) are easily available when playing on PC... might tide me over to 2019...

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
Layton's Mystery Journey turned out to be slightly disappointing due to its mediocre story and below average puzzles but... I think the Daily Puzzle Delivery is actually very interesting and pretty much redeems the game.

Most of the 18 types of puzzles are well designed and slowly ramp up in difficulty. I'm actually stumped with today's puzzle: #247: All the Right Turns 14.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
That's a terrific and terrifying thread. I'm not sure whether I should thank you or curse you.

In Sokobond-style, another game by the guy of A Good Snowman is Hard to Build, and art by the guy of Sokobond (or the other way around? I'm not sure): Cosmic Express.

Worth mentioning that if you want something like a demo, here, Draknek - the developer - originally prototyped this as Train Braining, and you can try that for free on his site (along with a whole bunch of other PuzzleScript games).

Actually, perhaps it's worth mentioning PuzzleScript in general? Draknek's particularly prolific in developing using that, and it was originally developed by Increpare (Stephen's Sausage Roll, English Country Tune) (I forget the name, but there's a 2D game in his collection somewhere that I think used PuzzleScript and is clearly a prototype for one of the more unusual English Country Tune mechanics). You're not going to get anything pretty out of it, but I've found a number of games that take one simple idea that couldn't necessarily carry an entire game on itself and iterate on it over a few levels very pleasantly indeed.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
My childhood is coming to Steam soon:

I'm going to have to try it at some point - I never played it in the original incarnations, but I was aware of the design (I think a SNES magazine at one point broke down all the domino types in a screenshot), and it never quite struck me as a design that was able to build complexity very effectively - I'd got it into my head that it'd end up being comparatively simple to figure out what was necessary, just with the fiddliness of placing those elements

Of course, that might well be entirely ignorant, but that's what pushed me away from trying it.

bobnowhere

Oct 26, 2017
Elsewhere for 8 minutes

Launched yesterday, pretty good so far, complexity ramps up fairly. Build the silhouette in blocks from 2 axes.

Edit: Changed my mind a bit, game is really simplistic once you work out the governing algorithms to solve for the minimum and maximum solutions.

Last edited:

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Oh my this thread is amazing, subbing now.I think after Metroid Prime I'm a puzzle fanatic.

Miegakure looks insane.

Gillben

Oct 28, 2017
Just wanted to say that I picked up Recursed because of this thread and it is excellent! If you liked Braid you'll probably like Recursed, easily the best puzzle game I've played since SSR.

thelongestj

Oct 27, 2017
Just picked up Hexcells since it was on sale on Steam and beat the first game in one sitting. I realize that I love these types of ambient logic games Picross, Minesweeper, Sudoku a lot.
From the list on the first page it seems like I would like RYB a lot. What are the other standout games in this category?

Also, there's been a lot of games released on Switch, any good puzzle games besides Picross so far?

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Back again with another couple of Arcade puzzlers to bring up thats long since been forgotten to most.

Pochi and Nyaa (arcade)

In this vs puzzler you get to make chains as looooooooooooooooong as you want, but hit the third button or up and you will turn your Nyaa pieces into spiky pieces. Match a spiky nyaa next to any nyaa of the same color to setup a chain reaction of massive pops. Wait to long though and someone could dump trash on your setup and ruin you in a single shot. Its a test of nerves more than anything as you gamble on time. Normal Puyo tower and staircase tactics apply.

Next up is
Monster Slider (arcade)

This vs puzzler has a unique twist. The bottom of the play area is uneven slanted ground and your blocks are also slanted! This game's play pieces can slide off and will go downhill onto towers either on the left or right. Here's the crazy thing though. THE GROUND IS A TEETER TOTTER THAT SHIFTS BASED ON WEIGHT!
Thats right. Make a huge tower on the right and blocks will slide that away but if your tower pops the floor will tip towards the other side that has more blocks on it and suddenly your towers will slide and slip to the other side of the screen. Monster Slider creates a unique mindset in setting up cascades to dump trash on your opponent. Plus your characters have unique attacks as well. Enjoy.

Last edited:

Wibblewozzer

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Just picked up Hexcells since it was on sale on Steam and beat the first game in one sitting. I realize that I love these types of ambient logic games Picross, Minesweeper, Sudoku a lot.
From the list on the first page it seems like I would like RYB a lot. What are the other standout games in this category?

Also, there's been a lot of games released on Switch, any good puzzle games besides Picross so far?
Delete is pretty good. And I'm assuming you're going to get all the other Hexcells games. CrossCells from the same developer isn't as great as HexCells but I think it's worth playing. Dynetzzle Extended I don't really feel gets all that much harder as it goes but instead puzzles simply get larger and take longer but I enjoyed my time well enough going through it.

Oh, Everyday Genius: Square Logic is a great value even though it never tends to go on sale anymore from what I recall. It's like a more mathematical take on Sudoku.

I recently completed Numberline. Really simple in concept and rarely too challenging but it was satisfying completing groups of levels between other games.

If you really like math Pythagoria has some appeal. I was frustrated with it more than I'd like for a recommendation, mostly because things aren't drawn to scale which makes it confusing, but if you just want a reason to do math as a game this is not a bad idea.

Those jump out at me the most.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
For all your plumbing needs
https://store.steampowered.com/app/755890/Pipes/

a game is not that old, so by -80% I suppose it didn't sell well
Neat! Its like the Bioshock hacking game I always loved.
Pipe puzzlers are pretty fun.

Lately I guess I've just been hooked on exploring how many Puyo Puyo variants existed in arcades. Apparently the biggest offshoot idea most used was for trash to be something that when something popped beside it would turn into or rather evolve from trash into normal puyo style shapes to use instead of disappearing. Meant most offshoots were premised around dumping huge trash but running a risk that all that trash could turn into a massive cascade leading towards the opponent reversing your attack into an even bigger attack on you. Puzzle Bancho, Karian Cross, Tecmo Stackers, Crazy Cross, Taisen Tokkae Dama...just a lot of em that used that exact same idea. Karian Cross is one I really enjoy because the type of trash you dropped was precolor coded blocks so who you chose to play as changed what color trash you dropped on folks. I think it also affected where you dropped trash but I'm still learning it.

Taisen Tokkae Dama was odd in that it did that but filled from the bottom and you had a cursor to select and move tiles on the board. It was almost a bejeweled meets Puyo clone in this regard.

There was an odd one though I can't recall. In that one when you popped a color next to trash the trash would get startled and extend tentacles from one side of the board to the other. If it touched anything its color it'd continue to snake around connecting all adjacent like colored blocks and pop them all. Made for some wild combos but you had to arrange the board to match on the left and right simultaneously to setup this by trying to build towers on both sides and only trying to pop the middle of the field to trigger cascades. If anyone remembers the name of this one let me know.

EDIT: Nevermind. Its Tecmo Stackers! AKA Deroon Dero Dero. I completely forgot that it was one I had mentioned but I mislabeled it. Tecmo Stackers doesn't turn trash to colored blocks. It just pops trash with tentacles when they extend. I was getting my puzzle games mixed. My bad.

Last edited:

thelongestj

Oct 27, 2017
Delete is pretty good. And I'm assuming you're going to get all the other Hexcells games. CrossCells from the same developer isn't as great as HexCells but I think it's worth playing. Dynetzzle Extended I don't really feel gets all that much harder as it goes but instead puzzles simply get larger and take longer but I enjoyed my time well enough going through it.

Oh, Everyday Genius: Square Logic is a great value even though it never tends to go on sale anymore from what I recall. It's like a more mathematical take on Sudoku.

I recently completed Numberline. Really simple in concept and rarely too challenging but it was satisfying completing groups of levels between other games.

If you really like math Pythagoria has some appeal. I was frustrated with it more than I'd like for a recommendation, mostly because things aren't drawn to scale which makes it confusing, but if you just want a reason to do math as a game this is not a bad idea.

Those jump out at me the most.
Thanks for all the suggestions! I definitely bought the whole Hexcells collection and got 100% on all three games within one week. It was really addictive. Of the ones you recommended Delete and Pythagoria look the most appealing. If any of the others come to Switch I might check them out. I booted up my switch for the first time in over a month yesterday thinking I might play more Picross. I hadn't tried any Mega Picross games so I completed the first couple and realized that they were all the same pictures as before which made it less appealing.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone ever get around to playing Q.U.B.E 2? Looked like a pretty big upgrade from the first one. I'll probably pick it up during the summer sales.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Crystal Crisis (the Nicalis x Tezuka puzzle fighter game) had some gameplay showcased at bitsummit with a match between Astroboy and Curlybrace from Cave Story. Neat thing is if your block gets to the edge of either side of the playing field you can place one part of the block on one side and the other side of the block on the opposite side because instead of a wall the screen edge loops. Means I can drop a piece on the far left and right simultaneously. Enjoy.

8qj1ZZU.jpg

Dont ask me why Johnny Turbo the failed Turbografx mascot is in this. I haven't the foggiest.

winstein

Oct 28, 2017
Malaysia
I think I will go through LYNE, which contains a chock-full of levels: 26 blocks of levels with 25 each, which totals to 650 levels, and that's not including the Daily levels that might crop up. I only finished 6 blocks and is in the middle of the 7th one.

The game above looks very much like Super Puzzle Fighter, which was a game I really liked when I played the one that contains Street Fighter and Darkstalkers characters. I wouldn't be surprised if this game is made because Capcom's not doing anything meaningful with the Puzzle Fighter, mobile version notwithstanding (since that never gets ported anyway). Are there any differences between both games?

Thank you for reading.

Nov 8, 2017
First time seeing this thread; there are some great looking games in the OP lists, but I wish the information was more accurate because I noticed a lot of games with missing console platforms, which makes it impossible to know which games I can play on systems that I own without looking up each game individually.

Someone who isn't aware of the missing platforms might come away from this thread thinking that their platform doesn't have (m)any puzzle games.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
Not sure there's a category so gonna ask for recs.

I like Hexic/Hexic 2, Puzzle Quest (all), Lumines, Tetris, Bejeweled (especially the varieties in B3), Peggle

I like othe types but you all have tons of games in those areas, like the platformers and words.

Any thoughts for above in particular? Thanks in advance! I primarily play on Xbox, but iOS and Mac too.

suikoder

Oct 25, 2017
quell zen was released after that bundle was made, dunno why they didn't include it by now. Also thanks for reminding me to play zen. quell games are great btw

Not sure there's a category so gonna ask for recs.

I like Hexic/Hexic 2, Puzzle Quest (all), Lumines, Tetris, Bejeweled (especially the varieties in B3), Peggle

I like othe types but you all have tons of games in those areas, like the platformers and words.

Any thoughts for above in particular? Thanks in advance! I primarily play on Xbox, but iOS and Mac too.

if you don't mind mobile, II (devs of Puzzle Quest) have free to play game that many of us are playing, it's Gems of War, still updated, actually got pets recently.

Deleted member 43810

User requested account closure
Banned
May 23, 2018
So well, I bought Hexologic and have finished it already. It's quite okay if you want to waste some time doing rather easy, pretty-looking puzzles (~1,5h to do 75 levels; 60 normal and 15 special, the special one are actually decent difficulty-wise) but I wouldn't really recommend it if you're looking for a challenge. Fortunately, there's a level editor so hopefully, we're gonna see some community levels.

winstein

Oct 28, 2017
Malaysia
I have just finished LYNE, and the puzzles are overall quite enjoyable, as at its most difficult it still manages to stay manageable throughout even though the final puzzles are more complex. Admittedly I looked up a solution for a small number of puzzles because I spent too much time of them to linger any further.

Since I am done with that game I am not going to play it even though I haven't unlock all the Palettes, which would be unlocked after I would have 150 and 200 respectively (need to complete Daily Puzzles to unlock).

Hexologic looks like Hexcells and Picross, so I guess it's not too bad but probably not a priority now.

Thank you for reading.

Wibblewozzer

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
So well, I bought Hexologic and have finished it already. It's quite okay if you want to waste some time doing rather easy, pretty-looking puzzles (~1,5h to do 75 levels; 60 normal and 15 special, the special one are actually decent difficulty-wise) but I wouldn't really recommend it if you're looking for a challenge. Fortunately, there's a level editor so hopefully, we're gonna see some community levels.

Hexologic looks like Hexcells and Picross, so I guess it's not too bad but probably not a priority now.

I just played through all 75 puzzles in Hexologic in 75 minutes (took a couple phone calls during that time so actual time to beat is closer to 65 minutes). I agree that there's very little challenge but it does get a little tougher in those special levels and I had to actually use the right-click options to make it quicker to get through. But ultimately it's not nearly as satisfying as Hexcells. It was only a couple dollars, though, so not a bad buy if you just want a pleasant puzzle game to breeze through.

RZetko

Oct 27, 2017
Great thread, subbed instantly. It's mentioned as a link in one of the OP posts, but I feel like profiling Deadly Rooms of Death, also known as DROD. Behold:

Yes. It looks like ass. Yes, it kinda sounds like ass too. Yes, the voice acting is clearly like 3 Swedish dudes recording into a 2001 laptop mic in a bathroom, but Jesus christ, this game will destroy you.

DROD is a long running (1995-present day) puzzle game series that presents itself as a top down dungeon crawler, but actually is the most complex turn based puzzle game ever. You move around with the numpad, and rotate your sword using the Q and W keys. Each of those movements takes a turn, which in turn enemies will also take one. All enemies use predictable, easy to understand AI, so you can always use the same solution on each level. But where the game really shines is when it uses it's near hundreds of systems and mechanics to turn each room into a unique clockwork puzzle, having you poke and prod at each nook and cranny until you piece it together. 5 full games, plus 15 official expansion campaigns, and an RPG spin off gives you plenty to solve and there's even a built in level editor with a community collection of over a thousand mini campaigns to play. A great starting point is game 4: Gunthro and the Epic Blunder, a game designed for beginners. All the other games (except for the most recent one) and official expansions are available as DLC for the Steam version as well.

DROD is great and I highly recommend it too. Could you (or anyone else) though please help me out with few questions and what to actually buy? I played it way back when it was just one or two games and right now I'm little bit confused by all the DLCs and expansions.

Here are questions that I have:
  • Which game should I start with right now - DROD 1 or Epic Blunder?
  • Are the DLCs with original map 1:1 copy with everything (music, maps etc.)? Does this make original games basically inferior and obsolete (I noticed that they still sell them on GOG)?
  • Is order below correct?
  • King Dugan's Dungeon - DROD 1
  • Journey to Rooted Hold - DROD 2
  • The City Beneath - DROD 3
  • Gunthro and the Epic Blunder
  • Expansions 1-12 (optional)
  • DROD RPG: Tendry's Tale (optional)
  • The Second Sky - latest game
Thank you very much

Last edited:

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
DROD is great and I highly recommend it too. Could you (or anyone else) though please help me out with few questions and what to actually buy? I played it way back when it was just one or two games and right now I'm little bit confused by all the DLCs and expansions.
It's best to start with Gunthro, since it's an easy game (for DROD at least), designed with newcomers in mind.
Then DROD1-3, Second Sky and DLCs in that order. If you're not satisfied by then, there are tons of user made packs available at Caravel forums. RPG is fully optional, since it's more of a roguelite, than a properly designed puzzle game.

RZetko

Oct 27, 2017
It's best to start with Gunthro, since it's an easy game (for DROD at least), designed with newcomers in mind.
Then DROD1-3, Second Sky and DLCs in that order. If you're not satisfied by then, there are tons of user made packs available at Caravel forums. RPG is fully optional, since it's more of a roguelite, than a properly designed puzzle game.

Thanks for help. I'm not a newcomer but still began with epic Blunder. If someone else is interested in buying DROD 1+2+3 DLCs then there's also pretty hidden bundle for these 3 with better discount right here: https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/1847/DROD_The_Original_Trilogy/

Wouwie

Oct 27, 2017
The Spectrum Retreat comes out in a few days and looks quite interesting, from the brief gameplay i watched. Hopefully, reviews are solid since i'm in the mood for a new puzzle game.

thelongestj

Oct 27, 2017
Coming back to this thread, I picked up a few cheap puzzle games over the last few weeks.

Pokemon Puzzle Challenge: I picked it up on 3DS and is absolutely worth the $5. I will double dip if this also gets released on Switch because I could sink a lot of hours into this. I've beat the game on easy and normal and got Pikachu, plus almost finished all the challenges, but I like that there are still more difficulties and Pokemon to unlock. anew entry in this series is now become my most wanted Nintendo First Party game. If there was a new version that requires you to get different combos to catch different Pokemon and maybe a difficulty ramp up mode involving evolution would probably be my number one Switch game. I hope this is the type of genre Nintendo was talking about when they said they wanted to make games in different genres.

243948-pokemon-puzzle-challenge-game-boy-color-front-cover.png

Delete: Hexcells Complete was probably the best game I played this year, and this feels like a nice follow-up. Would be my game of the year if it was longer or had some way of getting random levels. I love these logic puzzle games.

ss_db176050567b34a00a5ca5b64352bb9ccb1e50cc.600x338.jpg

Hook:

ss_37505e84d8fe63ba694d3167234b0bd463998a38.600x338.jpg

and Klocki:

ss_a24e92f1017c6b437adf070cf0d08aa143fab992.600x338.jpg

I haven't put as much time into these yet but they were cheap and also on sale so I picked them up. So far they seem a bit easier than Delete and Hexcells, but I hope they will get more challenging.

Deleted member 43810

User requested account closure
Banned
May 23, 2018
Since no one mentioned it nowhere on the forum, I'd like to recommend Tametsi for Hexcells fans. It's - in my opinion - more complex and harder than Hexcells while still being really good. There are also like 150 levels so there's a lot to do (it took me over 40 hours to do all 100 main puzzles and some of the extra ones).

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
Since no one mentioned it nowhere on the forum, I'd like to recommend Tametsi for Hexcells fans. It's - in my opinion - more complex and harder than Hexcells while still being really good. There are also like 150 levels so there's a lot to do (it took me over 40 hours to do all 100 main puzzles and some of the extra ones).

I just looked at the videos on the store page and holy shit does this look hard. I guess this is the price to pay for more Hexcells-like goodness since Matt Brown apparently decided to go in quite a different direction with his most recent games.

I'm also currently playing Hexologic (after reading your post) and as you mentioned, it's a nice, fun, not-very-challenging puzzle game. Even playing on hard mode is rather easy. It's pleasant nonetheless.

I haven't put as much time into these yet but they were cheap and also on sale so I picked them up. So far they seem a bit easier than Delete and Hexcells, but I hope they will get more challenging.
Klocki is extremely easy, it took me about 50 minutes to finish it. But it's a fun game with good mechanics and visuals. I'd love to see the developers expand on the concept a bit with more tricky configurations.

suikoder

Oct 25, 2017
recently I finished

it was fun, at least on my fl nobody played it, even those that own it, I recommend to play it!

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going through the bonus areas of Recursed and I have to consider it one of the hardest puzzle games ever made.

What games might be in the running for such a title? Stephen's Sausage Roll was very difficult, but ultimately not too bad. I haven't played Snakebird? I remember some weird Japanese game about jellies...

Edit: I see Jelly no Puzzle has been mentioned! Yeah, I remember that one being incredibly devious.

Last edited:

suikoder

Oct 25, 2017
are we talking hard or frustrating, cuz those are two very different things, Snakebird is frustrating, I assume Recursed is too (haven't played it), SpaceChem is hard.
easy to solve, hard to do - frustrating, while easy to do, hard to solve - hard as far as puzzle games go. I usually don't even consider platformers (puzzle or not) - puzzle games, they are frustration games tbh and tedious because of wonky controls games should have own name - controls that make you cry games.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going through the bonus areas of Recursed and I have to consider it one of the hardest puzzle games ever made.

What games might be in the running for such a title? Stephen's Sausage Roll was very difficult, but ultimately not too bad. I haven't played Snakebird? I remember some weird Japanese game about jellies...

Edit: I see Jelly no Puzzle has been mentioned! Yeah, I remember that one being incredibly devious.

I'd have to put DROD in there, at least the tougher dungeons. Although that said, often those are difficult and complex through scale, when a particularly nice puzzle is one where the complexity arises out of a few very simple pieces. Snakebird and Jelly No Puzzle both fit the bill pretty well there. Sokobond I'd mention as well in a similar fashion. I'm still trying to get my head around the mechanics of Yankai's Peak, that might fit the bill or I might get an epiphany after which it gets a lot simpler (I've noticed that happens from time to time!)

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Recursed is technically a platformer, but the controls aren't an issue. All you have to do is jump into boxes, no challenge from that at all. But the knots you have to twist your mind into to understand the structure of the level are borderline non-Euclidean.

I guess a key element I look for is *fairness*. When a game has laid out all the rules, all the pieces you need, and you need to find the solution through intricate workings of those simple rules. Hiding a small little lever in a dark corner is cheap, not telling the player about a rule is cheap.

I'll check out Sokobond and DROD for sure! Thanks, mclem!