• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
It's an American thing.
Why not? Cats are far more self sufficient than say a dog and its far more cruel to keep them locked down inside a house/apartment. My grandma has a yard full of cats. They are the ones usually who bring back dead snakes and shit they've killed.
I have an outdoor cat and our neighbourhood is full with them? Whats bad about that?

Edit: living in germany, this seems to be a thing in countries with a more dangerous wildlife. But I don't how i could prevent my cat from going outside.
Leaving pet cats outdoors at all is bad for them and bad for the ecosystems they touch. It's not an American thing. It shortens the average lifespan of cats dramatically to spend time alone outside.

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
"You know what me and dis python have in common?" "We both eat da pussy, AYE!"
Andrew-Dice-Clay-gets-banned.jpg
Wow a Dice man reference in 2020.

motherless

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I have a stray that stays in my yard and I feed her all the time , she's a really friendly cat and would bring her in if I already didn't have 2. I'm just worried about her going to a shelter and then getting put down if she doesn't get adopted. I just feel she would have a better chance at life living on my porch.

Fully understandable and she is used to being outside all the time so it might be harder for a cat like that to accept. Once they get a taste they really want to explore outside.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
So say the cat got swallowed alive, how long would it last in there. I assume most animals die from suffocation.

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
I have an outdoor cat and our neighbourhood is full with them? Whats bad about that?
Outdoor and feral cats are invasive ecological disasters that are responsible for billions of killed wildlife every year. Australia has a big problem with outdoor and feral cats killing wildlife, so good for the python getting a meal out of this one. Cats can also easily get killed by traffic or predators. If you love your pet and care about wildlife, keep your cat inside.

Edit: This is also a big problem in Germany, since you live there. You contribute to song bird populations getting decimated, congrats.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Eh, not a fan of letting cats out due to effects they can have on the local wild life and potential danger they can find themselves in as this cat found out. Sad for the family, but that's just what can happen when you let your pet roam around.

Big snake destroys pussy
WFEGxLQ.gif

So say the cat got swallowed alive, how long would it last in there. I assume most animals die from suffocation.
Would be crushed by the muscles inside. Even then again snakes wouldn't swallow prey alive, too much risk. Better to suffocate and then swallow.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Too many gators and pythons in Florida. At least the gators are indigenous. The snakes were let loose by some stupid assholes who got them as pets.

viral

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know anyone who has indoor cats. They're wild animals, they like freedom, and don't want to be confined to a small apartment. Is it riskier? Sure, but should I also not leave my house because somebody could hit me with a car? Cats are not that supid, and they're fast - I live in a small town, so no car is going more than 50 kph. And I don't know about their harm on the ecosystem, all they do is bring back dead mice a few times a year, and I don't see any negative in that.

My grandma also has an outdoor cat that is 20 years old. Surely it didn't shorten his lifespan.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Does it have to be a large python? King snakes and rat snakes make excellent pets

Of the larger constrictors, rosy boas are lovely and smaller than ball pythons

I put a hard no on larger snakes. Not just for the dogs, but also due to space limitations.

We have a male ball python (banana morph, and a handsome fella), and she's considering a western hognose next. Both of which as far as I'm aware are much too small full grown to be a threat to a 9 and 12 pound dog. She was recently looking at rescuing a 7 foot boa that I was adamantly against. Sure, it probably won't eat one of them, but I don't know enough about snake defenses to know if it would just constrict a curious dog. Most google searches didn't really help, and "keeping it in a separate room" doesn't work for me since snakes should not be underestimated and do get loose.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
How sad, that is an awful way to loose your pet. Also, why I keep all my cats inside unless they are on a leash and I am "walking" them. Only 1 of my cats loves to be outside and so he goes for walks when it is warm. I never understood having a pet and then letting it roam around.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I don't know anyone who has indoor cats. They're wild animals, they like freedom, and don't want to be confined to a small apartment. Is it riskier? Sure, but should I also not leave my house because somebody could hit me with a car? Cats are not that supid, and they're fast - I live in a small town, so no car is going more than 50 kph. And I don't know about their harm on the ecosystem, all they do is bring back dead mice a few times a year, and I don't see any negative in that.

My grandma also has an outdoor cat that is 20 years old. Surely it didn't shorten his lifespan.
It's fine to admit you don't care about your cats or the ecosystem enough to give them enriched indoor lives, but don't pretend anecdotes about grandma's cat overrule the statistics.

viral

Oct 25, 2017
It's fine to admit you don't care about your cats or the ecosystem enough to give them enriched indoor lives, but don't pretend anecdotes about grandma's cat overrule the statistics.

Oh, they have an enriched life where they can enjoy their freedom without being confined to a small space, don't worry.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
Well, this is as sad for me as the death of like a billion of birds by outdoor cats every year. But it's certainly scarier. Snakes make me shiver.

MPrice

Alt account
Banned
Oct 18, 2019
Leaving pet cats outdoors at all is bad for them and bad for the ecosystems they touch. It's not an American thing. It shortens the average lifespan of cats dramatically to spend time alone outside.

Eh horseshit.

Grams has had cats for over 30 years, completely outside. They never got sick and died, they multiplied. And they've never been alone. Don't know about ecological impacts either because there are plenty of animals around her property.

Are there some areas that are more harmful to cats? Sure. This isn't some evergreen rule though. Cats roaming city streets eating from garbage cans or whatever is completely different than having them live in open terrain and woods.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Eh horseshit.

Grams has had cats for over 30 years, completely outside. They never got sick and died, they multiplied. And they've never been alone. Don't know about ecological impacts either because there are plenty of animals around her property.

Are there some areas that are more harmful to cats? Sure. This isn't some evergreen rule though. Cats roaming city streets eating from garbage cans or whatever is completely different than having them live in open terrain and woods.

none of this is a valid refute of the science posted.

bunbun777

Oct 29, 2017
Nw
I grew up on property with outdoor/ indoor cats. Now, living in a city, my cats who were rescued, are indoor cats. Are they bored? I personally don't think so because I play with them daily and provide areas that are for them to play, they love to run all over, when they're not sleeping or laying down with me.

Some of you, while entitled to your opinions, sound like you don't know what you're talking about.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Best cat I ever had was an outside cat, a feral stray, but friendly. She'd come up on the porch where my dad would feed her. A lot of mornings she showed her appreciation for us with an offering- a squirrel head, a bird wing, or a mouse tail. Of course, being an outdoor cat, she would constantly be having kittens. She had one litter, and we brought one of the kittens inside. She had a second litter, and one brought another in. Fixed them both. Then she had a third litter. One day, they all disappeared, her and her kittens (they were almost grown and independent by that time). Someone must have shot them all, or a fox killed and ate them. Unfortunate. My parents still have her two offspring, though they are getting old now.

I don't think you can argue that being outdoors is conducive to a long lifespan for a cat. Especially in places with gators, or big snakes. I'm not a cat person by any means but if you like your cat you probably want to keep it indoors.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
These pet cats that are being let outside.... who is cleaning up their shit? Are they shitting on random people's properties with no care in the world, or are they exclusively shitting in their litter boxes at home?

MPrice

Alt account
Banned
Oct 18, 2019
none of this is a valid refute of the science posted.

The first article is full of anecdotes and stuff that should considered common sense, I don't see much science. You mean to tell me that my cat is more likely to get ran over if he's confined inside? Or eaten by something? Like no shit.

That still doesn't change the fact that the implications change drastically from cities to rural areas. Most of those cats lived far beyond what this article is claiming.

Last edited:

Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019
this makes me so very thankful that my cats can freely go from inside to their outdoor enclosure where they are safe. they can climb a tree out there and do cool cat shit without worrying about them getting hit by cars, getting in fights with other cats, killed by coyotes, eaten by giant snakes etc.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I'm sure staying inside your whole life would increase your life expectancy as well.

My cat is an indoor cat; but I have no issues with people letting their cats live their lives to the fullest instead of sleeping 16+ hours a day.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
I thought this was in Florida reading "Sunshine Coast" thinkin it was down there (where those big snakes are pretty much wrecking the eco-system). It's Australia! Why even have outdoor pets over there? How many pets get killed by dingos, and funnel-web spiders over there?

Having an outdoor cat almost always leads to some kind of tragedy. Not worth the heartache. Not against letting cats outdoors but they gotta be supervised.
More than likely. Sometimes its bigger animals killing them, but a lot of the times I see it being them getting run over. They even say outdoor cats live shorter lives than indoor cats naturally (probably stress and more likely to catch diseases).

Don't see what's so shocking about this. I mean, snake's gotta eat.
Aren't they invasive? I hear they round pythons up and put them down in Florida.

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK

That's the thing, they're not wild animals, they're a domesticated pet that have a massive impact on the ecology around them for a false benefit.

Cats do not need to get outside to thrive and be happy, and in fact, most indoor cats live longer, and can be just as stimulated inside as they can out.

Pretending that your method of cat ownership is better, even though it has been proven to be worse for the environment and the cat itself, is just ridiculous.

Oct 25, 2017
Too many gators and pythons in Florida. At least the gators are indigenous. The snakes were let loose by some stupid assholes who got them as pets.
Having just moved to Pensacola Florida thats actually a fear of mine with my dogs,
especially living like a block away from a state park that absolutely has gators.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
From the ResetEra FAQ:

Do Not Create: Shock Threads

These are threads about news or content that is just disgusting and/or shocking, with little potential for discussion other than outrage. Nobody gains anything from these threads and you should not make them.

Status
Not open for further replies.