• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
A family's beloved cat has been swallowed up whole by a python on the Sunshine Coast.

Snake catcher Stuart McKenzie was called to a home on Monday morning by a woman who found the two-metre-long snake sleeping in her garden with a bulging belly.

"I took the snake to the local vet and we scanned for a microchip and sure enough it was a family's pet cat," he wrote in a Facebook post.

N4HQHHA.jpg

Worst pet owners nightmare, Era?

Oct 29, 2017
My first instinctual visual of this included a cat-shaped growth in the middle of a python (which is of course ridiculous). Upon seeing the actual image, I realize I watched too many cartoons as a kid and should feel bad lol

Oct 27, 2017
Pet python? Sad for the cat and the family.

If it was a dog I bet you lot wouldn't be so flippant, Era is usually a lot more serious about animals and damn you love your dogs.

Mar 10, 2018
I always wonder how quick pythons must have to be to capture other life-forms like this, especially a cat of all things. I'm guessing stealth was involved, or perhaps the cat just went looking for trouble. Sad situation though. Im glad the python was released back into the wild.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
I always wonder how quick pythons must have to be to capture other life-forms like this, especially a cat of all things. I'm guessing stealth was involved, or perhaps the cat just went looking for trouble. Sad situation though. Im glad the python was released back into the wild.

There is stealth/waiting involved but once something is in range they are lightning fast. I used to own a python and it's incredible how quickly they strike.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
I mean cats are curious animals to a fault, all it would take is getting a little too close to some tall grass or some bushes where the snake is lurking and that cat is toast

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
I posted the below, then edited it out because I realised it was a bit off topic and I should ask in OT.

But I was too late and a bunch of people had already quoted me so I'll just add it back in:

I'm surprised so many people are against letting cats go outside in here. I'm not saying they're wrong, I've genuinely not heard of it being an issue before. I know there are risks but is it generally not recommended to do at all these days? It's normal where I live and my vet acts like it's very normal too.

We have two adopted cats that live with us, one is extremely nervous and doesn't like going outside because we adopted her from an abusive previous owner. She obviously lives inside 24/7 and is fine.

But we also have a younger cat who is extremely energetic and playful. He screams to be let out every morning and goes to hang out with the local cats. He stays inside for most of the afternoon and isn't allowed out at evening or night. But he goes out to explore every morning for an hour or two and to deny him this would feel borderline abusive and would result in extreme zoomies and him harassing the other cat.

I live in the UK where him coming across something like a python is impossible but I'm still open to learning if this is something I should be stopping...

Last edited:

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
I'm surprised so many people are against letting cats go outside in here. I'm not saying they're wrong, I've genuinely not heard of it being an issue before. I know there are risks but is it generally not recommended to do at all these days? It's normal where I live and my vet acts like it's very normal too.

We have two adopted cats that live with us, one is extremely nervous and doesn't like going outside because we adopted her from an abusive previous owner. She obviously lives inside 24/7 and is fine.

But we also have a younger cat who is extremely energetic and playful. He screams to be let out every morning and goes to hang out with the local cats. He stays inside for most of the afternoon and isn't allowed out at evening or night. But he goes out to explore every morning for an hour or two and to deny him this would feel borderline abusive and would result in extreme zoomies and him harassing the other cat.

I live in the UK where something like this is impossible but I'm still open to learning if this is something I should be stopping...

Outdoor cats lead shorter lives and often die horribly. They are also a huge environmental menace.

My cats are indoor. But I do kinda feel that once a cat is used to going outdoors, it's borderline impossible and maybe even cruel to try to make them indoor only.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017

I live in the UK where him coming across something like a python is impossible but I'm still open to learning if this is something I should be stopping...
Coming across an Adder however is fully possible for your cat. Or a car or just other cats. It's bad for both cats and local wildlife to let them outside

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
"You know what me and dis python have in common?" "We both eat da pussy, AYE!"
Andrew-Dice-Clay-gets-banned.jpg

Deleted member 4552

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's an American thing.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA

It's been known for many many years that cats should not be let outside. They lose years of their lives due to complications and they are terrible for the ecosystems they enter. Science has told us for a long time it is terrible to set cats loose outdoors.

Deleted member 1086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho

In suburban America at least I've always thought it was a bad idea just because of the sheer amount of automobile traffic. I live in an apartment not far from a well traveled intersection(and also right behind a fire station complete with two fire engines) and I would never let my cat out there, the risk is too high.

also driving around you see lots of small animal roadkill, squirrels/skunks/even foxes, but also rather often cats.

if I lived somewhere that was well away from a well traveled road I'd be more receptive to letting my cat(s) be outside

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh man, that's so sad, what a horrible way to go. Cats kill things for fun but still, that is really sad and horrible.

MPrice

Alt account
Banned
Oct 18, 2019
Oh wow, people still have outdoor cats?

Why not? Cats are far more self sufficient than say a dog and its far more cruel to keep them locked down inside a house/apartment. My grandma has a yard full of cats. They are the ones usually who bring back dead snakes and shit they've killed.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
Oh wow, people still have outdoor cats?

I have an outdoor cat and our neighbourhood is full with them? Whats bad about that?

Edit: living in germany, this seems to be a thing in countries with a more dangerous wildlife. But I don't how i could prevent my cat from going outside.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
As a small dog owner with an SO that is on a reptile obsession, this is one thing I fear with her wanting to bring snakes into our house. I would be absolutely devastated. In general, I don't think I could have an outdoor cat since I would be worried about it constantly.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
As a small dog owner with an SO that is on a reptile obsession, this is one thing I fear with her wanting to bring snakes into our house. I would be absolutely devastated. In general, I don't think I could have an outdoor cat since I would be worried about it constantly.

Does it have to be a large python? King snakes and rat snakes make excellent pets

Of the larger constrictors, rosy boas are lovely and smaller than ball pythons

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
Awful, mine stay inside.

Blows my mind. I see posts on a weekly basis on the Nextdoor app about shit happening to cats or lost cats.

I have a stray that stays in my yard and I feed her all the time , she's a really friendly cat and would bring her in if I already didn't have 2. I'm just worried about her going to a shelter and then getting put down if she doesn't get adopted. I just feel she would have a better chance at life living on my porch.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
It was probably an act of opportunity with the cat being close to where the python was chilling. They are generally ambush predators iirc. They can strike a significant length of their bodies too, and quickly.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
In suburban America at least I've always thought it was a bad idea just because of the sheer amount of automobile traffic. I live in an apartment not far from a well traveled intersection(and also right behind a fire station complete with two fire engines) and I would never let my cat out there, the risk is too high.

also driving around you see lots of small animal roadkill, squirrels/skunks/even foxes, but also rather often cats.

if I lived somewhere that was well away from a well traveled road I'd be more receptive to letting my cat(s) be outside

Fair point. I don' think I live near enough to a busy road for automobiles to be a major risk. There is a small lane but cars go down there less than once per week.

Other people have mentioned other cats too but there are a few outdoor cats where I live and he's friends with them all, I often catch him sunbathing with a neighbour's cat or something. Doesn't mean one can't attack him one day but it seems an incredibly small risk.

The environmental thing is definitely a major issue but then I don't live close enough to the countryside for him to find mice and stuff. Damn this thread had me worried for a while but I forget the majority of the world lives in much more dangerous places than me lol

Status
Not open for further replies.