• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Great questions and answers! Ratchet and Clank were staples of gaming with my brother. Maybe I'll boot up 2016 tonight.

Vaizard

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for this! Sad to hear that there probably won't be a SSO patch, because the game really deserves it. Absolutely love that game.

Really hope that SSO2 happens someday ^^

someday

Oct 25, 2017
I have to thank Insomniac for getting me back into gaming at the ripe old age of 36. Resistance:FOM will always be on my GOAT list, and I still miss it (and the myresistance.net site that helped stoke my forum habits). I played that game with my brother and my gf and countless strangers and haven't stopped playing games since. Thank you for that! Also, Sunset Overdrive was freaking amazing! I'd buy a sequel day 1, and I don't say that lightly.

Yoss

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Great read, thanks for putting this together. Insomniac's been one of my favourite studios for a long time, it's always interesting to learn more about them. Now that we've got a release date for Spiderman I wonder how long we'll have to wait to hear about their next project. E3 maybe?

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Aww my question about the change in musical direction and how that kinda changed part of R&C's identity and feeling didn't get answered xD Oh well it was a fun read :D

AHK-Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Really enjoyed this. I remember being blown away by Disruptor as a kid, and not realizing until many years later that it was from the same studio that put out greats like Spyro and Ratchet. Gotta appreciate the versatility demonstrated.

Looking forward to their rendition of our friendly neighborhood Spider-Man.

Print_Dog

Oct 27, 2017
This was a nice Q&A. Thanks to everyone involved. I love Insomniac and can't wait for Spider-Man.

Ghost305

Banned
Jan 6, 2018
Very appreciative to Q&ERA for asking my questionand to jstevenson for answering it.

Given how often you seem to be asked about high framerate, I hope it becomes a bigger consideration for future titles from your talented studio.

Looking forward to Spider Man and the Spyro remake as well!

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
Great read. Thank you Insomniac and FWIW, I got $150 in my pocket with 'Spiderman collector's edition' all over it. :)

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Just pre-ordered Spider-Man collectors edition yesterday! It'll be an awesome early birthday gift!

100%'d the first 2 spyros back on ps1 (ok actually I finally got that last dragon on the first one just a couple years ago after years of frustration from when I got it on ps1) so already pre-ordered that collection.

Ratchet and clank is my favorite game series of ALL TIME with my favorite game of all time (ACiT).

Resistance 3 was my favorite shooter ever until the new doom came out. Resistance 2 had the coolest online co-op mode of any shooter I've played.

Insomniac is probably my favorite developer ever only really rivaled by naughty dog I just realized while writing this. What a company and can't wait to hear more from them in the future! Glad they've come back be pals with Sony after that dark time where they made the 2 crappy ratchet games and then made an exclusive Xbox game

Deleted member 123

My question wasn't answered...my question wasn't answered... *sobs*

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Enjoyed that. Sounds like the right attitude to last this long and still be making great games. Looking forward to Spiderman.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
This was a really fantastic read. Thanks to both Emily/Era and Insomniac for making this happen!

tr00per

Nov 4, 2017
Thanks for doing this Reset and Insomniacs!

I wanted to submit a question to one of my favorite devs but I didn't think of one until just now reading through this :(

Ah well, maybe they'll do another one someday...

Definitely checking out that R3 playthrough!

(only thing good about 3 was the new bullseye sight)

Thatsbait.gif

Last edited:

Wozman23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pico Rivera, CA
Really enjoyable read!

Cool to learn about the logic that goes into making the R&C weapons. I typically love the ones that emphasize the spectacle and humorous qualities. For instance, I love the absurdity of the Groovitron and Mr. Zurkon. While they do have their own tactical qualities, the really aren't all that powerful compared to most of the arsenal. They're just fun for fun's sake.

Insomniac has held a special place in my heart for a very long time, and continue to be the main force in the AAA industry that keeps me excited. I really wish we lived in a world where an R4 and SO2 could have existed by now, but I look forward to Marvel's Spider-Man, revisiting Spyro via the remasters, the inevitable next Ratchet & Clank, and whatever other fun adventures and whimsy the future holds.

Micro

Oct 28, 2017
This was fantastic, big thanks to Insomniac for doing this!

Been a fan since Resistance: Fall of Man and really looking forward to Spider-Man. Hell, I even played some Fuse for the first time a few days ago and had plenty of fun.

Oct 25, 2017
I just wanted to chime in by saying that while I don't actively participate in these Q+As, I thank all involved and hope they keep coming.

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
Super fun read. Thanks to era and insomniac for doing this. Really looking forward to Spiderman! :)

Cueil

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One man in his spare time made the X enhancements for Quantum Break so maybe that guy can spin up some free time for Sunset Overdrive X Enhancement :-p

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Thanks for the answers and doing the interview, you guys. Love Insomniac's games, and I'm super excited for Spider-Man!

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Insomniac's one of my all time devs and I'm really looking forward to spider man, but at the same time I hope they're able/want to go back to Ratchet at some point too. It's my gaming comfort food and I need more of it.

Jack Scofield

Oct 27, 2017
Great read. I've been playing Ratchet & Clank since it was free on PS+ and I'm loving it, especially the animations. I love how the characters stretch and contort like in traditional cartoons. It really makes everything feel so vibrant and alive.

QuantumZebra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cool interview.

Resistance 3 is one of the best shooters ever and I wish it got an HD remake on PS4.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
Do we have an archive for the Q&ERA threads?

Specifically looking for the Image and Form Gamez one

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Thanks for the interview guys! Insomniac is a very efficient studio...every since back in the PS1 days. Cheers! Buying spiderman day 1

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
this is great stuff. What a genuine studio! The full team actually answered questions from a form group.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
And to Dancrane212, man, I don't remember teasing any R4 stuff. And I don't know what a Statue of Limits is. ;)

Ah, the joys of not proofreading before hitting that submit button. When will I learn?

Thanks for answering though! Now I'm curious if I just imagined that post...

Wouldn't be the first time.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This was a good Q&A. Insomniac has become a really interesting studio lately. For a time they were doing so many smaller and "indie"-style projects it seemed like they were pulling a Double Fine, but then they still manage to do AAA stuff like Sunset Overdrive, Ratchet and Clank, and Spiderman. It's interesting that they're able to handle so many different projects of such wildly different sizes and scopes without leaving teams dangling. They've had some hits, some misses, and a lot of interesting stuff in between.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
And to Dancrane212, man, I don't remember teasing any R4 stuff. And I don't know what a Statue of Limits is. ;) But if you're asking about the Statute of Limitations on it: In response to question 16, I mentioned Marcus's playthrough of R3 on our Twitch stream – we talked a little bit about the ending slates. We definitely changed that late. Anytime you're making a game, I think some part of you is considering ideas for a potential sequel and where you might go from there. That said, much like our list of Ratchet & Clank weapons we never have used, other unused ideas we like to hang onto cause you never know when they may fit a project!

I was going through some old bookmarks recently and I actually found what I was thinking of when I submitted the question.

jstevenson
May 19, 2013
I know what was going to happen in Resistance 4.

I take it those were just preliminary ideas like you mentioned in the post? No high level overarching concept?

Last edited: