• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Q&ERA

Official Questions and Answers
Verified
Nov 20, 2017
bannersmall4zlly.png

An old favorite feature returns! Now organized by Hecht, we're hoping that there will be more to come in the future. For now we've got some great guests ready to talk about some great games.

Q&ERA offers an opportunity for our community to learn more about the gaming industry from those that are part of it. This involves batches of questions, submitted by users and then selected by staff, which will then be given to industry members to answer. Our intent is to bridge the divide between the gaming community and the gaming industry. We want to encourage engagement between those who talk about games and those who make them. (Note: Questions will be curated as interviewees won't have time to answer every single one. Also, there may be certain topics that interviewees are not able or allowed to comment on.)

Introducing our guests: Sergey Mohov, Senior Game Designer, and Teodor Vasile, Level Designer, from Remedy Entertainment!

Before Remedy, Sergey worked on a game called Event[0] at his own little studio in Paris, France, and before that on RiME at Tequila Works in Madrid. He is currently working as one of the designers on the Control game team – he started in deep pre-production and is now working on upcoming DLC content.

Teo has worked at Ubisoft before joining Remedy as a level designer on Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands, the Assassin's Creed series and other titles. He works as a part of the level design team on Control, and he's one of the key people responsible for bringing the Expeditions gameplay mode to life.

remedylogonrj8n.png

remedyj0j76.png

About the Company:

In 1995, Remedy Entertainment was founded by Samuli Syvähuoko, Markus Mäki, Sami Nopanen, John Kavaleff, and Sami Vanhatalo, in Espoo, Finland. The company is responsible for critically acclaimed titles such as Max Payne and Max Payne 2, Alan Wake, Quantum Break, and Control - their latest release from August 2019 which has received widespread acclaim. Remedy is well-known for making cinematic single-player action games, and also for developing the engines for their games in-house.

List of Games:

Death Rally - 1995 (MS-DOS / Windows)
Max Payne - 2001 (Windows / PlayStation 2 / Xbox / Game Boy Advance / Android / iOS)
Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne - 2003 (Windows / PlayStation 2 / Xbox)
Alan Wake - 2010 (Xbox 360 / Windows)
Death Rally - 2011 (Windows / Android / iOS / FireOS)
Alan Wake's American Nightmare - 2012 (Windows / Xbox 360)
Agents of Storm- 2014 (iOS)
Quantum Break - 2016 (Windows / Xbox One)
Control - 2019 (Windows / PlayStation 4 / Xbox One)
CrossFire X - 2020 (upcoming) (Xbox One)

controld3ktn.png

How to submit questions:

In your private message, to Q&Era, you may ask up to two questions. To send a PM - click on a Q&Era's profile page and then "start a conversation."

This is not a live format! You must submit your questions properly for them to be considered!

Deadline to submit questions:

December 12th, 2019 at 5:00 AM GMT (Greenwich Mean Time)[/B]

t1576126800z0.png

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Q&ERA

Q&ERA

Official Questions and Answers
Verified
Nov 20, 2017
RESTRICTIONS

Unfortunately, we are NOT accepting any questions related to the upcoming The Foundation and AWE DLCs.

However, feel free to ask questions about the upcoming Expeditions mode, in which Jesse will need to complete different objectives within a set time to get powerful rewards.

Feel free to ask questions about Remedy's other games and franchises, questions about the company and industry itself, or even questions about game design and level design in general!

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
This is awesome! Control was an absolutely incredible game. Will definitely be popping some questions in.

Chiramii

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
The "Remedy" name has always been stuck in my head since childhood even though I've only ever played one Remedy game. But it was a game I played to DEATH on my old i486 DOS desktop!

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yes. I mean feel free to ask them here ALSO so people don't double up on questions, but yeah.
Good idea to avoid duplicates!

Here are my questions:
Does Remedy have to crunch or if not, what measures/policies are there to avoid it?

Remedy has always been great at using level design for storytelling ever since dream sequences in Max Payne that influenced many other games like Uncharted and God Of War, it makes their games revered for their in-game storytelling than just being relegated to cutscenes like many other AAA games. In Control, the whole level design shifts in amazing ways. How do Remedy devs do it, what are the challenges in designing these sequences?!

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I have no questions but I just wanted to say Control is awesome.

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
Here is my question:

Since both of you have worked at other studios prior to joining Remedy, what do you consider the strengths and weaknesses of Northlight as an engine in terms of both development process and graphical capability as compared to other engines?

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
This is wonderful, thank you Hecht

The question I shall be submitting us :

"It is brilliant to see some diversity in the main protagonist in Control. Was this a result in listening to fans concerns around lack of divesity and can we expect more representation in future games from you?"

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Really glad this is being brought back. Loved this sort of Q&A stuff, and it's great for dispelling some of the misinformation around game dev.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
A magnificent get. Can't wait to read.

Questions I submitted:

1. Considering the continuity of Max Payne 3. What aspects would you have liked to explore or possibly thought of, if given the opportunity to develop Max Payne 4?

2. James Mccaffrey. An excellent voice actor. He has been involved in majority of your single player games (Max Payne 1-2, Alan Wake, Control). What about him you feel makes him consistently a fit for all of your projects he's been involved in so far?

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is awesome! Thank you both for being here! Here are the questions I've submitted:

- What was the reason behind not having different difficulties?

- To get a better idea of how the planning goes, when did you start having people working on post-launch content? After Alpha, Beta...?

Last edited:

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
This is awesome! Thank you both for being here! Here are the questions I've submitted:

- What are some of the benefits and challenges of Northlight compared to other engines you've used?

- What was the reason behind the "control point" based save system only, and not add checkpoints?

- In addition to the one above, what was the reason behind not having different difficulties?

- How do you see the "comeback" of AA story-driven single-player games on the market? Do you think it'll keep going?

- To get a better idea of how the planning goes, when did you start having people working on post-launch content? After Alpha, Beta...?

In your private message, to Q&Era, you may ask up to two questions.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome to see Q&Era back! We had what, two of these in the past but they were always interesting reads. I'm looking forward to it!

Kiro

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
Would love if enough people asked about another (base) console performance patch for Control. They've been quiet on it and it still seems quite rough from impressions. I really want to play this game but i only have the base PS4.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
It's a metaphor, about how Hecht himself doesn't even get a free copy of Control, so no point in anyone even asking for one to begin with.

Last edited:

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
Christ, this is one of my absolute fav devs and I don't even know what I'd ask that wouldn't just come across as "how are you so perfect".

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Playing control now and i love it.

Definitely going to write a few questions.

McQueeno

Nov 7, 2019
I asked:

1. I absolutely loved Quantum Break and I hope Remedy is able to return to those characters at some point in the future. What's the rights situation for that game? (i.e. What does Remedy own and what does Microsoft own?)

2. I'm super pumped that Alan Wake is finally returning for the upcoming AWE crossover with Control. Could we see characters from Quantum Break return in a similar fashion?

XVerdena

Oct 28, 2017
My questions:

First question: Alan Wake 2 when?

Second question: Alan Wake 2... when?

ZServ

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I've absolutely adored Alan Wake and Quantum Break. Haven't gotten around to trying Control yet. So my question is:

When you guys start development (i.e. out of pre-pro) on a title, how locked in is the art direction and overall vision? Is there a lot of happy accidents that occur that lead to the overall stylistic choices made, or a series of "damn, this looks cool but doesn't fit thematically, let's keep it in the vault for later," or what?

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
My question is what's the real holdup for Alan Wake 2.

Second question is are they looking for a buyer or want to remain independant?

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Were lessons learned from how players were playing Quantum Break a major consideration when developing Control? For example, if you expected QB to be more aggressive but many were playing it much slower and methodical, was there a push to incentivize players to be more aggressive for your next title?

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Excited for the Q&ERA!
Remedy has been one of my favorite studios ever since I played Alan Wake on my 360 back in the day.
I wish I could ask more, but I am happy with my questions.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Can we get a game/port on Switch?

Portable CONTROL(or Alan Wake/Quantum Break) would be great! Not sure how willing MS would be to let QB be ported, but seeing as how we got Cuphead and Ori, it shouldn't feel like a stretch. (Also if you need a porting studio, Saber or Feral Interactive would make great candidates.)

My second question will be: If offered (by Rockstar), will you guys be willing to make another Max Payne game (or what if you guys bought the rights to the franchise like what you did with Alan Wake)?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.