• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Nice, appreciate the answers from Remedy. Love the game.

I always get too nervous to ask anything myself for some reason, but it's nice to read everyone else's questions.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Question #13 - Member: Cosmic Voyager

If you had to pick one completely new genre to work on for a new game, which one would you pick?

Sergey Mohov, Senior Game Designer: I would personally pick RPG. First of all, I'm a huge RPG fan. I grew up playing Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torment, Arcanum, Fallout 2, Neverwinter Nights, and bring them up in design meetings regularly. But I also think that Remedy would be really good at it. Think about it: we're all about building detailed, weird worlds, populating them with compelling characters, and then telling a story through gameplay. It seems like an excellent starting point for an RPG game.

This would be cool to see with the sort of polish and control of a Remedy game if they did have that at the core alongside the RPG design.

The Ummah

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Control is easily one of my favorite games of the year, and fits in nicely with Remedy's catalogue. This is a great read, and I'm looking forward to whatever they decide to do next!

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018
Control is one of my favorite games of this decade. Thanks for doing the Q&A and giving all these great answers.

Surprised that SCP didn't make the list of influences though.

Oct 25, 2017
Appreciate the recommendations for what inspired Control. I'll check those out.

Thanks for the answers and I wish the best for Remedy!

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Thanks for taking the time to do this Remedy, these are always great :)

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
I love Control.. you deserve all the praise you got from almost everyone.

Can't wait for your next game!

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I just started Control today and I'm enjoying it so far, I'm glad it runs better than Quantum Break, it's nice that you're working on that aspect of your games as nothing ruins a good game quicker than poor performance.

I'm still waiting on Alan Wake 2 BTW, an absolutely travesty we never got a sequel :D

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Super interesting read, even tho I haven't played Control yet and I doubt I will unless a port happens on Switch (2 in 2023) or it becomes one of the two or three games, at the most, I'll play on my Xbox/PS4 in 2020 lol

Looks crazy good.

Btw thanks a lot to Sergey and Theodore for the detailed answers, really appreciate the time they've put into this interview.

edit: I can't believe this thread hasn't even gotten 2 full pages, this is supposed to be an enthusiasts-driven vg message board for god's sake

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2019
Oh how i would want to play Control! Everything about this game soibds awesome. I love reading about the decisions made during the development of such great games. Thanks for the answers, Remedy.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Question #13 - Member: Cosmic Voyager

If you had to pick one completely new genre to work on for a new game, which one would you pick?

Sergey Mohov, Senior Game Designer: I would personally pick RPG. First of all, I'm a huge RPG fan. I grew up playing Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torment, Arcanum, Fallout 2, Neverwinter Nights, and bring them up in design meetings regularly. But I also think that Remedy would be really good at it. Think about it: we're all about building detailed, weird worlds, populating them with compelling characters, and then telling a story through gameplay. It seems like an excellent starting point for an RPG game.
Remedy RPG?!

It's true, Remedy are great at all those elements. That's fascinating. I don't think many RPGs bother to tell story through gameplay, maybe Disco Elysium?

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I really need to get around to playing Control. It's so hard to avoid spoilers with GOTY stuff going on. I just want to say I love Remedy, and it's not for any reasons but time management of my own making that I haven't gone through it yet.

Sep 14, 2018
Just wanted to chime in to say I finished the game yesterday and really liked it and I really liked Jesse too. Looking forward to the DLC and whatever comes next.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
This was a nice read. I'm always curious about looking behind the scenes and seeing how a game was developed. There are some techniques that I can notice in games but I can never tell how much work, effort and time was put into them. And all things that I read about this subject, this Q&A being one more of them, makes me thing: A LOT.

Control was my favorite game this year and a fantastic experience all around, can't wait for the next chapter!

Biggavell

Banned
Dec 26, 2019
Would love it if they regained the Max Payne license and released a sequel in the mold of 1 & 2. I get that MP3 had its merit, but I wasn't a fan. Even the much praised gunplay felt too different from the slower and more methodic combat in the first two installments.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished this game today and absolutely loved it. Amazing job from the team and I can't wait for the DLC. Thanks!

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Im really wondering if i should start the game right now or wait for all the dlc

I just want to say, i absolutely love everything Remedy do, and i think it's because of the direction of the games and the original storyline <3

alstrike

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
Posting just to say that I'm having a blast with the game and I'm just 2 hours in.

It oozes style and I get hyped every time I find a report or a video explaining different events.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Wonderful game, my GotY without a doubt! But, any plans on fixing Bureau Alerts not popping? Only thing getting in my platinum's way is those damn missions not showing...

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I just realized that the Oceanview Motel was a loading screen. Holy shit. I'm a designer for a living and I always can pick out hidden loading screens when I see them. Way to go, Remedy.

Also, awesome Q&A, really interesting stuff.

Folie

Dec 16, 2017
For the love of all that is holy, this game needs checkpoints. So so tedious having to backtrack after dying.

Raptor

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks Remedy for responding questions and for making one of my favorite games of all time.

Also if you see this please congratulate Courtney Hope, she did a tremendous job with Jesse.

<3

Oct 25, 2017
For the love of all that is holy, this game needs checkpoints. So so tedious having to backtrack after dying.

I think tons of gameplay aspects just don't work. The Metroidvania, Souls, and Random Loot elements that were put in the game basically never work to the game's benefit. The Metroidvania aspects are too gated by keycards and really only ever hinge on one ability way late in the game.

Last edited:

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I love this game! Just finished it a couple nights ago. I'm working on the expeditions now. I've failed the first tier 3 times now. The timer is just a little too tight for me, I don't know how I'll ever succeed the more difficult tiers. Git gud, I know.

if y'all are reading this, can you please make the Ashtray Maze replayable? :)

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
I just finished Control and really enjoyed playing it. It was great to read this Q&A, finally. Thanks for providing it.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Just to add that I completed control plus all its side quests and collectables a week or so ago. Time to reflect I think it's my goty.

I need to finish outer wilds.

Quikies83

Oct 25, 2017
Mississippi
I reeeally want to pick this game up on Xbox.. can anyone chime in on performance on the One X?
Tired of waiting for a sale or for it to jump on game pass! :) I'm so close to pulling the trigger.

alstrike

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
I don't get any more alerts, I've been running around for quite some time and got nothing, I got 2 at the beginning of the game and that was it.

I have beaten the game, got all abilities and even went after
Tomassi
a second time and still zero alerts.